• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there any hope for Macs?

Anyone else using a Mac to access the boards?

As usual, IE on Mac doesn't refresh properly, but at least it will talk to the boards. Netscape (7.02) is for some reason loading incredibly slowly and often failing to connect at all.

How am I supposed to waste time at the lab w/o ENWorld? :(

I usually use Mozilla at home on my PC. Last time I tried to use Mozilla on a Mac to look at ENWorld (admittedly, this was a couple versions of the boards ago) there were.... problems. Not only did it not refresh properly, but it tended to crash the computer. A LOT. Might be worth trying again, though. Are you actually using it from a Mac, AND successfully talking to the boards?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Canis said:
Are you actually using it from a Mac, AND successfully talking to the boards?

Sorry, no - You mentioned Netscape and IE, so I thought I'd mention Mozilla on the chance you hadn't seen it yet. Mozilla for Windows works pretty well for the boards, as I used to use it before I got tired of numerous minor incompatibilities from other heavily Active Server and Javascript sites. I use IE at work and home now.

Unaware if Opera has a Mac version, but that's the only other browser option I'm aware of.

Well, IE's problems seem to have been sorted out. I'm refreshing properly at the moment.

It's just a clunky browser on a Mac, though. I've gotten so used to tabbed browsing that multiple windows irk me.

I might try Mozilla again, anyway. Wish me luck. :)

buzz

Adventurer
I use a Mac (MacOS 10.3) at home and generally surf with Safari, and I have zero problems using ENWorld.

I've heard about other users having problems with ENWorld before, but I've never really experienced any platform-dependent issues myself. Are you sure it's not an issue with your machine or the way your lab's network is set up? Or maybe the time of day? I find that ENWorld can get pretty unreachable around 12noon - 3pm CST.

If you haven't already, you might want to mosey over to the ENWorld Mac Users thread and see what other Mac ENWorlders have to say.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Morrus said:
Firefox is still experimental, is it not? I have problems with a lot of sites using it.

Firefox is a good core browser, but as I noted, it was a lot of problems heavy in ASP and custom third-party controls, mostly because it comes with no plug-ins that IE is either shipped with, or which have been dowloaded over time by you and your computer.

As downloaded from Mozilla's site, it requires a BOATLOAD of plug-ins to be downloaded in inserted or installed into the software. I installed shockwave/macromedia flash out of self-preservation into it, and left the rest undownloaded.

In fact, they state on the site that it shouldn't be used as your main browser, because it's unfinished.

Good luck, Canis! :)

Last edited:

buzz said:
I use a Mac (MacOS 10.3) at home and generally surf with Safari, and I have zero problems using ENWorld.

I've heard about other users having problems with ENWorld before, but I've never really experienced any platform-dependent issues myself. Are you sure it's not an issue with your machine or the way your lab's network is set up? Or maybe the time of day? I find that ENWorld can get pretty unreachable around 12noon - 3pm CST.

It's endemic to the non-OS 10 Macs on the entire campus as far as I can tell. And I don't use the OS 10 machines for writing at the moment, so I don't do my time-wasting, (i.e. websurfing) on those machines.

If you haven't already, you might want to mosey over to the ENWorld Mac Users thread and see what other Mac ENWorlders have to say.
Thanks for the invite, but as a forced-to-against-my-will Mac user, I probably wouldn't have much constructive to add. Might give the thread a read at some point and see if there are any helpful hints, though.

Remove ads