• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

is there books about d&D?

NewJeffCT

First Post
S'mon said:
"Are there books", not "is there books".

The OP is listed as being from Brazil, so I'd cut them a little slack on improper English, as they got their point across. And, I bet their English is better than your Portuguese!

S'mon

Legend
NewJeffCT said:
The OP is listed as being from Brazil, so I'd cut them a little slack on improper English, as they got their point across. And, I bet their English is better than your Portuguese!

(a) This is an English language board.
(b) I don't attempt to write Portugese.
(c) I didn't notice the Brazil location. :p

Spell

First Post
as a foreigner speaker:
please do correct improper english usage and spelling!!! it's the only way one can improve, after a certain point! it doesn't matter if it's a bit disheartening: better that than looking illiterate in the long run! :)

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I recently read The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons and Growing Up Strange by Mark Barrowcliffe. It's not a history of the game per se, but the author was a very early adopter, and he talks a lot about the early days of D&D and other early RPGs.

(Ironically, the book starts off very anti-gaming; he blames D&D for turning him into an unbearable nerd. However, the rest of the book doesn't really support his thesis, and by the end he basically abandons it (concluding, correctly, that he was an unbearable nerd to begin with). If you can get past the vitriol of the first 20 pages or so, the rest is a really enjoyable account of being a gamer in the very early days of the game.)

S'mon

Legend
CharlesRyan said:
I recently read The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons and Growing Up Strange by Mark Barrowcliffe.

I enjoyed it a lot, the moreso as I used to live in Coventry (a grim & dreary place, ideal for RPGing). I was struck by the infatuation with Nazis of some of his weirder fellow players, also a part of my own early RPG experience - good to know it was apparently not that uncommon, at least among white working class Brits in the '70s and '80s.

Remove ads