Is there errata for the Nightmare spell PHB p.232

Uller

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:

Think for... ourselves?

Eek! That's the first step on the road to... House Rules!

One of the old rule books(I think it was the red Basic D&D DMs book) had % chances for various dragons to be sleeping when encountered in their lair. They actually felt the need to write "Sleeping dragons never fly."

Really? Who'd have thunk it?!?! We could always go back to that sort of thing.

IceBear

Explorer
Well, common sense kind of dictates that a spell that takes 10 minutes to cast and requires you to have line of sight to the victim would be utterly useless wouldn' t it?

Thus, I think this spell overrides the normal Line of Sight rules.

IceBear

Shall we now list the dozens of other things that common sense would allow or disallow? You cannot apply it selectively. If you want common sense to rule then its going to hit and effect dozens of spells, magic items, and feats.

IceBear said:
Well, common sense kind of dictates that a spell that takes 10 minutes to cast and requires you to have line of sight to the victim would be utterly useless wouldn' t it?

Thus, I think this spell overrides the normal Line of Sight rules.

IceBear

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
I didn't mean REAL LIFE common sense, I meant common sense when it comes to the game's rules :)

Spells are listed in the game to be used. If you have to have line of sight to a victim while you are casting nightmare for 10 minutes, the spell is effectively rendered useless. Since the spell is in the game to be used, I'd have to think that they didn't mean for you to have to have line of sight to cast this spell.

This spell just seems to be one of those that was meant for an evil wizard who's locked away in his stronghold to use upon his enemies to hassass them. It fails to do that if he has to have line of sight to them so they could wake up and attack him or have their friends attack him while he was casting. This doesn't seem to be a combat spell.

IceBear

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If you have to have line of sight to a victim while you are casting nightmare for 10 minutes, the spell is effectively rendered useless.

Why, BTW? If he's asleep, he's not going anywhere... what difference does it make if the casting time is one minute or ten minutes?

-Hyp.

IceBear

Explorer
Sure, if he's by himself. But if you're harrassing him with the nightmare spell over a few days, he'll probably get guards to protect him so when you come to cast it they can wack you before you ever get the spell off :) This makes the spell effectively useless.

I guess I just see this spell as intended to be one cast from within the safety of your stronghold not one that you have to go to your victim, like many of the divination spells with a similar range.

If I found the spell to be too overpowering for some reason, I'd probably rule that the caster needed some personal item of the victim to cast the spell.

IceBear

Last edited:

Remove ads