D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

pukunui

Legend
I'm thinking pre Pathfinder more Paizo dungeon era Age of Worms through to Rise of the Runelords was a good run.

Late 2E you had Night Below and some other well regarded adventures.

Dragonlance started the narrative heavy ones that bled over into say Darksun.

You don't find to many well regarded adventures 86-95 or so. There's the occasional one sure such as B10 and Dungeon had some good ones.
Age of Worms is just as railroady as the old Dragonlance modules. The PCs are literally just there to witness the plot unfolding. There’s nothing you can do to stop Kyuss from appearing (unlike, say, the much maligned Tyranny of Dragons modules, which are designed to take into account your group’s actions, such that one can theoretically prevent Tiamat’s summoning, however unlikely that is).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Age of Worms is just as railroady as the old Dragonlance modules. The PCs are literally just there to witness the plot unfolding. There’s nothing you can do to stop or change the end result (unlike, day, the much maligned Tyranny of Dragons modules, the second of which allows for the possibility that Tiamat is not summoned or, even if she is, it’s in a much-weakened state).

Or wins, for that matter.

I don't think a lot of people know about Rise of Tiamat, unfortunately, if they didn't gel with Hoard.

pukunui

Legend
Age of Worms is just as railroady as the old Dragonlance modules. The PCs are literally just there to witness the plot unfolding. There’s nothing you can do to stop or change the end result (unlike, day, the much maligned Tyranny of Dragons modules, the second of which allows for the possibility that Tiamat is not summoned or, even if she is, it’s in a much-weakened state).
Or wins, for that matter.

I don't think a lot of people know about Rise of Tiamat, unfortunately, if they didn't gel with Hoard.
Fair enough. The group I ran through Tyranny had a blast. We enjoyed it the whole way through.

When I played through Age of Worms, I spent most of the AP feeling like there was nothing any of our PCs could do to affect the outcome. We were always one step behind the bad guys and were just going from one plot point reveal to the next.

Zardnaar

Legend
Age of Worms is just as railroady as the old Dragonlance modules. The PCs are literally just there to witness the plot unfolding. There’s nothing you can do to stop Kyuss from appearing (unlike, say, the much maligned Tyranny of Dragons modules, which are designed to take into account your group’s actions, such that one can theoretically prevent Tiamat’s summoning, however unlikely that is).

Kinda but the early adventures are well done and you're the heroes not the heroes of the Lance.

I prefer Savage Tide.

Most published adventures are a bit railroady. HotDQ you're literally on the road.

darjr

I crit!
To be fair to age of worms it was kinda a huge new experiment. I never ran, nor played, nor read it but wasn’t it the first? I mean first as a deliberate kind of thing?

Zardnaar

Legend
To be fair to age of worms it was kinda a huge new experiment. I never ran, nor played, nor read it but wasn’t it the first? I mean first as a deliberate kind of thing?

Yeah it's got refined into the Savage Tide and Runelords.

Shackled City was technically the first but there were quite a few great Dungeon adventures under Paizo.

3E also had a few decent 1st party adventures.

Compared to the handful of good 2E adventures and 1-2 4E adventures that are good 3E looks great.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair enough. The group I ran through Tyranny had a blast. We enjoyed it the whole way through.

When I played through Age of Worms, I spent most of the AP feeling like there was nothing any of our PCs could do to affect the outcome. We were always one step behind the bad guys and were just going from one plot point reveal to the next.

I think Tyranny is great, but Rise seemed to get a lot less attention.

Yeah, they're obviously struggling mightily.

Sarcasm aside, I do agree that Dragonlance could be really successful in this era because it would be well-suited for the type of multi-media offering that they're building towards. I've often though that the Chronicles would translate well to a TV series...if done well, that is.
The problem with that is the average age of D&D players is higher than it was back then, so, whilst teen fiction was fine when most of your players where in their teens, its a bit juvenile for players in their twenties and thirties.

It's very much off topic though - this thread has already established that there is no new campaign setting announcement coming - it was a misleading communication that was soon corrected.

Remove ads

Remove ads