D&D 5E Is this Homebrew Spell Balanceable? - Binding of Infinite Power

Quartz

Hero
For defensive spells would this not be better as metamagic? Call it Tenacious. Then you could have a Tenacious Feather Fall or whatever.

Wizards get to choose a first and second level Wizard spell at 18th level to be able to cast at will, and there are a number of abilities, invocations, etc. that give various characters access to a select few first or second level spells at will, so I feel like some sort of high level at will casting spell for those levels isn't far off base. Third level at will casting is a different beast, but maybe not outside the realm of what 9th level magic could do with a rare and expensive material component consumed (the hour of 600 fireballs is probably fun for everyone as a one off novelty, but I wouldn't want it to be a regular strategy in my games).

Near unlimited healing is something the 5e designers have explictly tried to avoid with spells. I think a spell like this should be confined to spells the character knows from the normal (healing free) Sorcerer and Wizard spell lists, if not a specific curated list of spells.

Stalker0

Legend
It seems the easiest way I could limit the healing concern would be to just add the Clause “choose any wizard spell of 1st level you can cast...etc”.

seems like so far the biggest concerns are around reaction spells, which I could easily add in the Clause as well “must have a bonus action, standard action, or longer cast time”

great stuff everyone, anything else you see as a concern?

Stalker0

Legend
Add a line saying that when "Binding of Infinite Power" ends, all spells cast with it also end.
Is this actually necessary? Even summoning an army of zombies didn’t seem they out of whack for the 9th level cast, are there long duration spells we have not considered?

NotAYakk

Legend
I'd say Counterspell jumps out to me. A 20th level caster counter spelling every round would be an issue.
Counterspell is an action economy crusher more than a slot issue.

By level 17, you have a lot of slots for counterspell, and burning a slot to make the enemy burn a slot and an action already has such insane ROI that I'm not sure making it at-will matters much.

Unless you have a long encounter where there is a constant stream of spellcasters to counter.

Stalker0

Legend
Ok so here is the updated spell based on feedback so far.

Binding of Infinite Power (Wizard, Sorceror)
Spell Level 5

Target: Self
Duration: 1 hour (Concentration)

Choose a 1st level spell with a bonus action, action, or longer casting time and that does not use concentration. The spell must be prepared and on the Wizard or Sorceror spell list. For the duration, you can cast the spell without consuming spell slots.

If cast as a 7th level spell, you may select 2nd level spells. If cast as a 9th level spell, you may cast 3rd level spells.

Any further thoughts or concerns?

SirMoogle

Explorer
The updated limitations make it less overpowered, but an hour feels really long. I can see it being useful in a dungeon crawl, but I'd say that having one casting of this for two combat encounters is sufficient. Maybe 30 minutes?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Counterspell is an action economy crusher more than a slot issue.

By level 17, you have a lot of slots for counterspell, and burning a slot to make the enemy burn a slot and an action already has such insane ROI that I'm not sure making it at-will matters much.

Unless you have a long encounter where there is a constant stream of spellcasters to counter.

I agree that it's a double whammy good deal, but making it even less onerous by not having you spend 3-5 slots to do it makes it even better. By my count, with 15 3rd+ slots, a 20th level wizard might be burning 15-33% of their daily spellpower in just one encounter, which is pretty significant. Just pushing it slightly and doing two encounters in that hour you saved 30-66% of your slots.

An alternate idea to achieve a simar effect: When casting a spell of 4th level or lower, you may cast a spell your next spell at that same level without expending a slot. This way there is still attrition, but it's slowed.

Remove ads