• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is This Magic Item Overpowered for 5e?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Remember that if this is a one-shot powerful item, Fzoul may not want to waste it. It's only likely to be used on something that's ridiculously powerful, or on something that repeatedly thwarts him.

After all, he expects to survive the conflict. Unless the PCs are repeatedly using some magic item and it's swinging the battle, or have some magic item that will prevent him for pulling off a plan, he won't expend a precious resource to counter it.

L R Ballard

Explorer
Remember that if this is a one-shot powerful item, Fzoul may not want to waste it. It's only likely to be used on something that's ridiculously powerful, or on something that repeatedly thwarts him.

After all, he expects to survive the conflict. Unless the PCs are repeatedly using some magic item and it's swinging the battle, or have some magic item that will prevent him for pulling off a plan, he won't expend a precious resource to counter it.

Yes, precisely. I'll include the rod in my conversion notes, but it's up to each DM to decide how to use it and in what circumstances. I concur with the reasoning you've offered and will include it in my notes as space allows.

S'mon

Legend
If I may, I also have the same question about the absence of the incense of meditation from the 5e DMG's list of magic items. Is it missing because it's overpowered?

Ironically, Fzoul Chembryl is also said to have used incense of meditation before encountering the PCs (FRE1, 35). In second edition, incense of meditation allows the divine spellcaster to gain "maximum spell effects" (DMG 2e, 229). The effects last for 24 hours.

Thus, if Fzoul casts inflict wounds using a 7th-level spell slot, he automatically does 90 (9d10 necrotic), maximum damage for the spell. The same is true for any offensive spell that he casts while under the effect of the incense.

Maximum effects from spells after using incense of meditation. Too powerful a magic item?

Seems overpowered to me. For 5e I suggest +1 to spell level, eg casts inflict wounds as 8th level slot when using 7th level slot.

Satyrn

First Post
Maximum effects from spells after using incense of meditation. Too powerful a magic item?
used against the PCs, again I find this one to be rather unfun even from a DM perspective. And bland. I'd rather use cool effects against players rather than increasing damage.

Used by the players, it seems fine to me, although I'd make sure this stuff was rare, like the players get just a couple "doses" over the course of the campaign, or so.

Gadget

Adventurer
With only one use and 5e's general less reliance on magic items than previous editions, I don't see it being overpowered. But each campaign is different, if your campaign is centered on rare and character defining magic items, then it may be more of kick the the groin for the players.

L R Ballard

Explorer
Seems overpowered to me. For 5e I suggest +1 to spell level, eg casts inflict wounds as 8th level slot when using 7th level slot.

Noted. The pregens included in FRE1 don't have enough hit points to survive a maxed inflict wounds. The NPC the players should be protecting would keel over if she were targeted.

L R Ballard

Explorer
used against the PCs, again I find this one to be rather unfun even from a DM perspective. And bland. I'd rather use cool effects against players rather than increasing damage.

Used by the players, it seems fine to me, although I'd make sure this stuff was rare, like the players get just a couple "doses" over the course of the campaign, or so.

Thanks. I can see introducing the incense before an epic-level quest. Of course, FRE1 is not an epic-level quest. So, if the incense of meditation doesn't make the converted FRE1, what is a fitting substitute magic item to pair with the rod of cancellation?

I'm asking Satyrn this question, but anyone who's reading along, please feel free to recommend a substitute.

L R Ballard

Explorer
With only one use and 5e's general less reliance on magic items than previous editions, I don't see it being overpowered. But each campaign is different, if your campaign is centered on rare and character defining magic items, then it may be more of kick the the groin for the players.

Which item? The rod of cancellation or the incense of meditation?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads