Is this the year that theaters die?

Zardnaar

Legend
Sad here even an go to theatre but not much to see. One movie had 6 WW84 got about40% capacity.

I was a smallish 6 screen affair but they do like meals you can order with fold out "tables" have a beer.

The others in an old stage place. Decors early 20th century almost like an old opera house. Has the old school acoustic s.

Christmas Gift From Bob best movie of 2020!!!

aco175

Legend
There is a Cinemagic chain around me that announced closing entirely. Not sure how nation-wide they are.

Next question will be what prices the tickets will be once we can go back.

MarkB

Legend
There is a Cinemagic chain around me that announced closing entirely. Not sure how nation-wide they are.

Next question will be what prices the tickets will be once we can go back.
I wonder whether we'll go back to fully packed theaters, or if some will be redesigned with social distancing in mind. Will we see any actual change in mindset when it comes to casual close proximity?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think some current cinema chains might struggle or die, but (if!) things go back to normal, others (or new ones) will take their place.

National cinema chains like Cineworld, Odeon, and Vue have been struggling for ages (the Cineworld cinema in Southampton closed a few years ago, and the Odeon was struggling long before the pandemic).

One thing that might weather it well is the luxury chains like Showcase - the ones with the reclining seats, and space, and stuff. Other cinemas might need to pivot to provide that experience, contrasted to what you can get at home.

GreyLord

Legend
It may be that the Avatar movies will save the theater and remind people why they liked to go to Theaters once upon a time...

That is, saying that life resumes to something resembling what it used to be after the vaccines are all distributed.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
thing that might weather it well is the luxury chains like Showcase - the ones with the reclining seats, and space, and stuff. Other cinemas might need to pivot to provide that experience, contrasted to what you can get at home.
That's a problem, not a solution.

You don't just pivot to that. You shut down your theatre for 6 months to do the renovations and upgrade. While doing that, you incur additional costs of renovations, while taking in less or no revenue. You need to upgrade food preparation systems to make the expanded menu offerings and have R&D costs in developing those menu items.

And, when you're done, you now have more debt and have to justify the higher ticket prices that you need to pay for the renovation to a public that already complains about movie ticket prices.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

You don't just pivot to that. You shut down your theatre for 6 months to do the renovations and upgrade. While doing that, you incur additional costs of renovations, while taking in less or no revenue. You need to upgrade food preparation systems to make the expanded menu offerings and have R&D costs in developing those menu items.

And, when you're done, you now have more debt and have to justify the higher ticket prices that you need to pay for the renovation to a public that already complains about movie ticket prices.
Yep. It’s not going to be easy on anybody and some will go under.

CapnZapp

Legend

So, is the future dimming on the theater experience or is this year just an off year and come 2022,they will bounce back?
Since the ages-old rule that prohibited studios from buying cinema chains was removed during the last administration, I'm not worried.

There will be theatres, though possibly fewer of them And it won't be AMC or Cinemark theatres, it will be Disney and Netflix theatres.

Retreater

Legend

Wonder if there's going to be government stimulus funds available for taking steps to remodel arts venues for continued social distancing? Not just cinemas but also live theatres, museums, planetariums, etc.?
My library got some initial aid to do this as well as a grant from the state Humanities Council to help offer storytimes and author visits in safer ways.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Will we see any actual change in mindset when it comes to casual close proximity?

I mean, we have half a million dead in the US largely because folks absolutely refuse to change their mindsets, so... no, you won't see a change long term I think.

And, there's a strong argument that you shouldn't reorganize all of normal life for lower capacities and greater distances. Such measures are not needed 99% of the time, so constant preparation in this way is extremely costly for no gain, and questionable effectiveness.

I say questionable effectiveness, because our most recent surges, the worst case loads seen in the year, weren't driven by large entertainment venues. They were driven by people visiting family and friends for holidays.

Last edited:

Remove ads