Is TOMB OF HORRORS the Worst Adventure Of All Time?

Prevailing opinion here in the EN World community has traditionally held that the worst adventure module of all time is 1984's The Forest Oracle. 7th Sea designer John Wick (whose upcoming edition of 7th Sea is the third most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2016) vehemently disagrees; he nominates the classic adventure Tomb of Horrors for that position, contending that it "represents all the wrong, backward thinking that people have about being a GM." In an article on his blog (warning: this uses a lot of strong language), he goes into great detail as to why he hold this opinion, stating that the adventure is the "worst, &#@&$&@est, most disgusting piece of pig vomit ever published".

Prevailing opinion here in the EN World community has traditionally held that the worst adventure module of all time is 1984's The Forest Oracle. 7th Sea designer John Wick (whose upcoming edition of 7th Sea is the third most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2016) vehemently disagrees; he nominates the classic adventure Tomb of Horrors for that position, contending that it "represents all the wrong, backward thinking that people have about being a GM." In an article on his blog (warning: this uses a lot of strong language), he goes into great detail as to why he hold this opinion, stating that the adventure is the "worst, &#@&$&@est, most disgusting piece of pig vomit ever published".

1198278663fullres.jpg

[lQ]"My players picked the entrance with the long corridor rather than the two other entrances which are instant kills. That’s right, out of the three ways to enter the tomb, two of them are designed to give the GM the authority for a TPK."[/lQ]

Very strong words, and you can read them all here. As I mentioned before, there's lots of NSFW language there.

The article also includes an anecdote about a convention game in which he participated. In that game, being already familiar with the adventure and its traps (and having advised the DM of this), he played a thief and attempted to discover or deactivate the traps, up until a near TPK occurred and he left the game.

Wick is, of course, no stranger to controversy. A couple of years ago, he created widespread internet arguments when he stated that "The first four editions of D&D are not roleplaying games."

GameDaddy

Explorer
I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I'm just saying it's very unlikely that a convention group with just four hours could complete this without some additional foreknowledge or help, and this estimate is based on the experiences of our actual group play.

To note, our group did successfully beat the dungeon, but not on the first attempt, ...nor even the second. We started about seven or eight pm. I quit by ten, after losing the wizard in our second run through, and the bulk of the rest of the group played through until they completed the Tomb of Horrors and quit around three or four a.m. Many of our weekends in high school went that way. It took like five or six attempts before they finally succeeded and it was a real bloodbath.

I remember where the Canary came from now. In ToH the Canary in a Cage came with one of the Pre-gen characters or as an additional equipment option the players could add in the pre-dungeon outfitting phase of the adventure. I do remember one player taking this option now and carrying a canary in a cage into the Tomb of Horrors. He died. The Canary died. We did have a discussion about the canary though during the game, after the first couple run throughs that went something like this;

Me: "Why are you bringing a canary in a cage into this dungeon?"

Tom: "Well, you know, it's like in a mine, if there's no air, or poisonous gas, the canary will die first, and we'll get some warning that we need to act."

Me: "Really??? just what exactly do you plan on doing if the canary dies? You have just a few rounds before you too will suffocate, or die a horrible death because of the poison."

Tom: "We can leave, and go back out the way we came in."

Me: (Thinking about one way doors and slide traps) "uuuhh-huh..."

Tom: "And the cleric can heal us..."

Me: "OK, what spells can help? Ahh remove poision! But how is the cleric going to know if you need to have poison removed, or if you are instead out of air and suffocating? ...And how many spells or scrolls like this is the cleric going to need to keep the whole party alive? You think the cleric is going to have time to save everybody, or is he going to use his spells to save himself?"

Tom: " I dunno..."

I'm sure Gary and Frank and company laughed their a$$es off when they walked into the convention center gaming hall and saw all these players with big tough fighters, Fear inducing thieves, and awesome wizards, who were daintily traipsing through the dungeon hauling canaries in cages. This goes right back to the Monty Haul "Let's make a Deal" theme, where people would show up in the most ridiculous of costumes in order to wow Monty and persuade him to favor them. The same with the players and GM ...in game with ToH. Yay!

If it helps any, our gaming group didn't like to think of ourselves in those terms. Instead of Canaries in a Coal Mine, we envisioned ourselves to be a lot more like Conan, Subotai, and Valeria, when they stole into the underground stronghold of Thulsa Doom to kidnap the Princess in Conan the Barbarian. We go in fast using stealth and camouflage, dodge or disarm the traps, kill anything that needs to be killed, and get out fast with the treasure/loot, and with the least amount of alarm, or fuss.

Now Hussar is right, It's a very good dungeon, but not in the way one would immediately expect, or guess. Here's what actual effect this play through had on me;

1) Other than B1 (Which was an exceptionally well designed dungeon) I had not played in any TSR Dungeon. We had taken the Holmes blue book to heart, and had happily crafted our own dungeons and story lines for years before and were already well versed in fiendish Dungeon design by the time ToH even came out. Other than B1, I never bought a TSR dungeon module, and didn't buy another dungeon module until after 2000 when WOTC released Forge of Fury. And that was only after I had a chance to examine an already opened copy of Forge of Fury.

TSR used to shrink wrap all of their dungeon and dragon modules so I couldn't inspect them for quality, This also put me off from buying any more modules, specifically becuase of our experiences with ToH. I did play in one other campaign where my friend Tom ran the B4 The Lost City adventure, right after it was released in 1982. It was also very good, and I enjoyed it even though I lost two of the five characters that I played during that adventure.

2) When we went back to making our own dungeons, I always made sure to include at least two available methods or techniques any player could use to disarm any trap, because I wanted to avoid having my dungeon labeled a "Railroad" which was a term we first heard not too long after the release of Tomb of Horrors.

3) Whenever somebody did use the term "Railroad" to describe an adventure or game. I always though first of Tomb of Horrors and that inexperienced GM, and that evening where I lost my best wizard in a sadistic deathtrap where I felt, ...despite my best efforts, there would have been no chance to win. Most games, and adventures that earned the label railroad were ones that I personally avoided, and to this day avoid, because it reveals a fatal flaw in the inherent design that is not properly being addressed by the game designer.

It's not a matter of game balance, as an adventure can be unbalanced and tilted in the favor of players, or tilted against them. A really good game should be neither, and it should be up to the players to eke out a victory against a series of challenges, some more difficult, and some less difficult, but no challenge should be so difficult that it cannot be overcome. Any challenge like that and it is no longer a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

sphere830

First Post
I enjoyed this piece and the discussion it has generated. I love this module for everything that the piece brought out. For the reason of evolving the GM alone--ToH is very important "module." Regardless of your experience, I hope you have a memory of the Tomb of Horrors. I never beat it myself and lost a 7th level Ranger to the dungeon. That doesn't stop me from owning a first edition and rereading the dungeon for sheer ruthless design. Tomb of Horror forms a kind of base-line for the limits of a death-trap. But pillaged, this module is like a great early Atari game...it still works. This 32-page gem has enough game design and traps for many campaigns employed as a toolbox. And, as importantly, we are still having conversations about the shared and culture experience that ToH generated. This essay expressed something that everyone that experienced this module has felt! Fun Sunday read.

sphere830

First Post
I'm sorry, what was the thing that I (and apparently everyone who's played this module has felt) that it expressed?

Fair question. It seems for me that ToH places absolute kind of traps (e.g. sphere of annihilation) where bumbling around them instigates creativity or avoidance. As a party and relationship to the game itself, Tomb of horrors offers a dungeon (or series of traps) that will likely take a number of attempts/characters to beat. Or it offers a place in the game world that is almost unapproachable, but an example of the world being more important than individual characters.

My apologies for the initial ambiguity.

I should also put out here what I thought about the article. First, I disagree that Tomb of Horror is a bad module. In fact, I think of ToH as one of the best adventure modules, essentially for the reasons listed both above and in my initial comment.

Secondly, even though I said that I had never "beat" the adventure, ToH is not like most adventures (As most here have already commented on). I do think of this as a true dungeon of horrors. The game design itself evolved the game passed an adventure/puzzle to be beaten/solved in one pass. But, again, in my mind represents a truly place of horror. A place to be either taken seriously or avoided all together. Also a place or site that will alter the game world if the players choose to engage or venture into. Which brings up another point for clarity.

If a person is running a game of one-shots and/or linearly (aka tournament talk above and beyond the scope of my comments), then this module is the Donkey Kong of early adventure design. This dungeon will take your quarters. At the end, I prefer to add the Tomb of horrors to all of my game worlds, but in a sandbox-kind of way. That said, rumors leading a party are esoteric and must be pursued but forewarned.

I also like the critical essay of Wick's, but not because I dislike the Tomb of Horrors. Many people don't share initial experiences with the module, without the current meta-thinking about the what the Tomb of Horrors has become. And this is where my initial comment was rooted (albeit incompletely). Tomb of horrors is still generating conversation in general. From a game design perspective and a collection of traps and killer situations, I still love the Tomb of Horrors. The module does what it was intended for, to humble the hubris and the lack of concerns of high-level characters. So I disagree with Wick, but the article (like the module itself) does generate good conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

wwanno

First Post
Fair question. It seems for me that ToH places absolute kind of traps (e.g. sphere of annihilation) where bumbling around them instigates creativity or avoidance. As a party and relationship to the game itself, Tomb of horrors offers a dungeon (or series of traps) that will likely take a number of attempts/characters to beat. Or it offers a place in the game world that is almost unapproachable, but an example of the world being more important than individual characters.

My apologies for the initial ambiguity.
That is exactly what I am doing in all my campaigns, whatever the edition (2nd or 5th, I am the DM of 2 campaigns).

There is the tomb and it is known all around the game world.

Anytime the players desire, I let them generate PCs (lv 10+1d4, random magic equipment) to play the module.

If they die, I write down where they died and what they were carrying with them. If they pick up some loot, I remove it from the list.

If any group of players will win the dungeons, the new will spread all over the game worlds, and the players from the other campaigns will know that somebody else took the treasures of the tomb.

If the players adventure in the tomb with newly created PCs, they will put down those PCs at the end of the module (for good or for bad), but if they decide to play it with their main characters they could end up really really RICH in bot magic and mundane, and they will keep playing those characters.

The fact is that the players (partially) know what is inside the tomb because they left those items when they tried with their previous PCs.

I hope that in the end they will dare to enter the tomb with their main PCs, lured by the treasures inside

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads