Is using a familiar in combat to grant advantage a common tactic?

RAW the rules are against you - they actively suggest reskinning existing creatures to represent whatever the player wants.

Nope. RAW also encourage the DM to say no. And reskinning for exploits is a big NO in my book.

Edit: I also think you mix it up with 4e.
In 4e you were encouraged to just change the name of a creature and be done with it.
In 5e, you take the other creature as a baseline and then add racial abilities.
An orc always gets agressive
A goblin gets free disengage or hide (forgot the name)
A zombie gets a save against dying.

And an owl gets flyby while a hawk does not. Thats it.

Last edited:

What's exploitative about reskinning a familiar to like a different animal? (within reason, of course.)

It is wanting to eat your cake and have it.

How would you as a wizard player feel about this:

The wizard always is 60ft away. Orcs have the aggressive trait to dash as a bonus action. So you always use prcs and reskin them as goblins, hobgoblins, elves and so on, so you can always reach the wizard in the backrow...

That is what you do. You want to exploit a trait of an animal and because you want to be no boring owl user, you just say your owl is actually a different animal.

That is more or less the same.

I think it was one thing 4e did wrong. Because the outlook of something didn't tell you anything about the abilities and combat something has a player could never know how hard it is to hit an enemy, how many hp something has or what it can do. The only thing which was given for granted was that it should be a fair challenge.
In 5e it is actually the other way around:

If something looks like an orc, you better expect it to dash as a bonus action. If something looks like an owl you better expect flyby attack. If it looks like a falcon you don't.

Edit: or maybe make everything a reskinned dragonborn. So whenever a familiar uses flyby you ready a reskinned dragon breath to kill the familiar and damage everything in its vicinity. What is the drago n breath? A barrage of daggers maybe.
Its just no fair game anymore because it seems arbitrary. If you don't want an owl you won't get abilities of an owl.

Last edited:

I would say that D&D 5e is somewhat less "reskinnable" than, say, D&D 4e but in the case of familiars which are magical creations, I see no benefit to being a stickler on this point.

Until it is used against you...
To me it is reliability. If it looks like x it should act like x and not y... unless magic is involved. ;)
I think its better not to blurr the lines. But it is my own opinion as player and DM. If others draw their lines differently that is totally ok for me.

Until it is used against you...
To me it is reliability. If it looks like x it should act like x and not y... unless magic is involved. ;)
I think its better not to blurr the lines. But it is my own opinion as player and DM. If others draw their lines differently that is totally ok for me.

For a start, magic is involved: a familiar is a fae/celestial/fiend in animal form - it could look like a purple parrot.

Secondly, I think it unlikely that anyone would have such detailed knowledge of the capabilities of a familiar that it would affect their strategy. I give all sorts of odd powers to familiars belonging to NPCs if they aren't just window dressing.

Thirdly, why should a falcon not be able to learn flyby attack? They can be trained.

Fourthly, as a DM I frequently reskin monsters as something different, either to keep the players guessing, or because I don't have quite the critter I need and it's quicker than making something from scratch.

For a start, magic is involved: a familiar is a fae/celestial/fiend in animal form - it could look like a purple parrot.

Secondly, I think it unlikely that anyone would have such detailed knowledge of the capabilities of a familiar that it would affect their strategy. I give all sorts of odd powers to familiars belonging to NPCs if they aren't just window dressing.

Thirdly, why should a falcon not be able to learn flyby attack? They can be trained.

Fourthly, as a DM I frequently reskin monsters as something different, either to keep the players guessing, or because I don't have quite the critter I need and it's quicker than making something from scratch.

First you should lookup what this smiley means: ;-)

Then if you like that your players are guessing which monster is under the skin i won't stop you. But it is a playstyle I don't want to be involved in.

It's not just me.

TftYP p83:

No. And this is ok. Because there is no statblock for Xilonen the polyp. A good use of reskinning.

A bad use would be:
A gigantic gelatineous cube like you encountered several times before. Suddenly arms are coming out entangling you and pull you in.
Not too bad. Could be some kind of mimic. No it is a roper. Surprise. Actually that use would not be too bad because it would actually be a mimic functioning similar to a roper and looking like the gelatineous cube.
To make the thing perfect you add the sticky trait which all mimics have...

Ok I think a roper is a good monster that might be used for many things if you slightly alter its traits so that it fits. My problem is when you actually have stats for a monster and then decide to just ignore then using a different statblock. And it is more than dodgy if somehow any familiar ends up having the owl traits. If the intend had been a pet that flies in and out gibibg advantage all the time the spell would have just told you so. No matter what outlook, the familiar has following abilities...

Actually a hawk with flyby attack that is no familar but a ranger's pet would be more comvincing because a real animal can be trained. A familiar not.

Remove ads