D&D General Is WotC's 5E D&D easy? Trust me this isn't what you think... maybe

Official WotC adventures easy most of time?

• Yes

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 36.6%

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Spawning off another thread (and from countless others)

Yes, you can toss more monsters in and change monsters and make the most devious traps etc etc etc. The DM can "work" to make the adventure/dungeon actually dangerous.

OR

You can buy a ready made official published adventure and run it as written. Yes that's 4 goblins in that room and yes everyone is expected to roll into combat and spend time slaughtering the hell out of them as the speed bump they are. The Arcane Trickster can open every door and chest in relative safety you almost wonder why you would roll anything.

I've played in or DMed a good half of WotC's 5th ed adventures and I can't think of a time when I really felt like anything was dangerous. A few of the final boss fights sure but never has a fight come down to 1 or 2 players left standing most of the time it's a slaughter of the baddies. Sure some players get knocked down, but they get up again. No, you're never going to keep them down.

But the DM can just edit things. Change things. Put in work to make it palpable. Which isn't what I'm talking about.

I've come across 2 unofficial adventures that I felt actually pressured the heroes. Official are typically a cake walk.

This made me wonder, at what point do you even need to roll the dice if they are just going to succeed 80% of the time anyways? I give WotC crap from this but it's actually something I like about Shadowdark. The difference is in combat, SD's combat is old school and can be deadly. WotC's is still that 80% or better success rate, why even waste the time? Why not just tell me what happens?

DM: "You enter the room, you guys see 4 drow standing near worktables."
Ranger: "I combat roll in and hack down one drow then turn and slash another killing them both!"
DM: "Very awesome! Next?"
Fighter: "I leap over the rolling Ranger and cleave another drow in half with my axe!"
DM: "Yeah you do! Woo!"
Wizard: "I step in and feel a crossbow bolt bounce off my magic armor. I then throw a small mote of fire at the last drow incinerating him!"
DM" "Great fight guys and very well described, they never had a chance against such mighty heroes! Here is the treasure you find after a quick search!"

Quick simple, everyone is awesome. That above is literally how a fight went in my last game (with some flourish). I'm not even sure why I even wasted time rolling anything.

If something is so easy, from skill checks, to saves, to combat, why even roll? Just save time.

By the by, Shadowdark handles this well IMO. Your race/class knows how to do it's stuff and you don't roll unless there is a consequence. Rogue can auto find traps if they ask but still has to roll to disarm. Guards arent on alert? Auto stealth. If they are alert, gotta roll. Ranger wants to hunt for food? Auto fight food. I like that it keeps certian things focused onto one race and/or class. Need to know some arcane secret? Ask the wizard, not the cleric or fighter.

Anyway rambling. I find the official adventures are meant to be conquered (and 5E and it's power fantasy complement this). Anyone else find this to be true most of the time?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If you want every fight a challenge and every trap deadly, I think you're looking for an old school skill play experience. While 5E throws a few bones to old school style, I dont think its intention is to focus on that style of play.

I only went through a single WotC 5E adventure and found it lackluster. Though, my GM wasn't really giving it much energy or panache either. I think modern published adventures take a lot of effort on the part of the GM to bring to life. If you rely on paint by numbers and the rules alone, the experience is going to be a poor one. However, they can be tremendously more exciting and entertaining than ye olde dungeon crawl. IMO, of course.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
4e can be as easy or as hard as the DM makes it. My experience with published adventures has been that they’re quite dangerous at levels 1 and 2. At levels 3 and 4 they’re mostly pretty easy, but a character death can happen if the players get careless or unlucky. And from level 5 on they’re very easy.

Oofta

Legend
There's simply no replacement for a DM knowing their group and knowing how to challenge them. The modules don't have the luxury of knowing your group so they're targeted at a group of 4 newbies who don't know what they're doing. You've always needed to adjust for the group. In my games for every fight that is over quickly with a PC win there's another 3-4 where it's at least a moderately difficult fight. Every once in a while, multiple people drop to zero. At every level.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I only went through a single WotC 5E adventure and found it lackluster. Though, my GM wasn't really giving it much energy or panache either. I think modern published adventures take a lot of effort on the part of the GM to bring to life. If you rely on paint by numbers and the rules alone, the experience is going to be a poor one. However, they can be tremendously more exciting and entertaining than ye olde dungeon crawl. IMO, of course.
Yeah, the real problem is the WotC-published adventures, which mostly suck if run as-written. They’re good sources of ideas, and can serve as a solid basis to build on if you want to do the work to improve them, but they don’t really work as playable-out-of-the-box experiences, except Lost Mine of Phandelver, which they don’t even sell in its original form anymore (and the Shattered Obelisk version has a lot of issues).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
One of the many reasons I don't use published adventures. If something was too easy, I know it's my fault, and can adjust.

Quickleaf

Legend
Apparently, I'm too old for this survey.

Oh, sorry, wrong survey.

I mean I love you.

Oops, wrong survey again.

100% agreed. Default 5e, particularly as presented in the modules, is easy mode designed to reinforce power fantasy. The one exception is 1st level where the PCs' low hit points and some monsters with unusually high damage can be quite deadly, and are at odds with that power fantasy.

My solution, like with most things D&D, is grab your hacksaw and make it harder, better, faster, stronger.

Remove ads