• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) It feels so much like the D&D Next playtest did

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sure, but the design didn’t last long because nobody liked it. (Actually I think I was kinda into it at the time, because I was on the modularity hype train and I thought having the core 4 as the base classes with the other classes being subclasses of the core 4 was a good idea. Under the assumption that subclasses would be a great deal more mechanically significant than they ended up being. It’s probably for the best that I was in the minority on that).
I liked it too, but it would have necessitated Subclasses to be a much bigger thing than they became. (Which I still think would have been good for the game, but we can't know for sure).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I liked it too, but it would have necessitated Subclasses to be a much bigger thing than they became. (Which I still think would have been good for the game, but we can't know for sure).
Yeah, I mean in theory I think having the core 4 as the base classes (which would be a bit broader than classes are in 5e), other classes as subclasses (which would be akin to classes in 5e), and maybe a third, smaller choice like kits filling in the role subclasses do in 5e would be a great design. But 5e went in a different direction. Such is life.

Aldarc

Legend
Yeah, I mean in theory I think having the core 4 as the base classes (which would be a bit broader than classes are in 5e), other classes as subclasses (which would be akin to classes in 5e), and maybe a third, smaller choice like kits filling in the role subclasses do in 5e would be a great design. But 5e went in a different direction. Such is life.
But it would be a great opportunity for a 3rd party publisher.

I don't think that approach would have had the popularity 5E has had. I think part of what makes D&D accessible and popular is the relative immediacy and specificity of the classes. If anything the delay of subclasses to L3 is a mistake in 5E, as even most new players know what subclass they want from L1 onwards.

I mean, I think would probably have worked better mechanically, and likely ended up hewing closer to 4E's roles, but I don't think it would have been as popular.

Charlaquin

I don't think that approach would have had the popularity 5E has had. I think part of what makes D&D accessible and popular is the relative immediacy and specificity of the classes. If anything the delay of subclasses to L3 is a mistake in 5E, as even most new players know what subclass they want from L1 onwards.

I mean, I think would probably have worked better mechanically, and likely ended up hewing closer to 4E's roles, but I don't think it would have been as popular.
You’re probably right. But I’ll take better-working mechanics over popularity any day.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
You’re probably right. But I’ll take better-working mechanics over popularity any day.

I dunno, I kind of like how D&D has had such a huge resurgence. It’s easier to find new players. I’m skeptical we would have as much excellent 3rd party content if D&D were still as (un)popular as it was in 2014. And I suspect other games have benefitted from spillover.

Is that due to the class structure? I don’t know. Probably not. But I wouldn’t knock popularity.

Charlaquin

I dunno, I kind of like how D&D has had such a huge resurgence. It’s easier to find new players. I’m skeptical we would have as much excellent 3rd party content if D&D were still as (un)popular as it was in 2014. And I suspect other games have benefitted from spillover.

Is that due to the class structure? I don’t know. Probably not. But I wouldn’t knock popularity.
I’m not knocking popularity, it’s just a lower priority for me than quality. Give me CJ the X over Mr. Beast, every time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads