It feels to me like Hasbro has lit a fire under Wizards of the Coast, and given them

Dire Bare

Legend
I find the idea that Hasbro "lighting a fire" under WotC a bit silly. From all I've seen over the years since Hasbro bought the company, Hasbro has been very hands off and allowed WotC just about complete autonomy. Nothing that has happened recently really points to anyone "lighting a fire" underneath WotC, much less Hasbro. And if WotC is stepping up efforts, why does that drive need to come from above? It's more logical to assume that WotC itself would like to make more profit and see its various game lines do better.

From all indications from WotC, Magic and D&D are continuing to perform very well and even beyond expectations. Which is all the more reason to try and push the brands further!

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll point out something else -- even if Wizards, because of underperformance of the brand, decided to melt D&D down to ONE designer, working with a cadre of freelancers, I'll point out that, during the Star Wars Saga Edition years, Rodney Thompson did just that -- and shepherded a damned fine edition of a roleplaying game while doing so, with excellent though limited product support, and great quality control. WotC wouldn't sell off D&D, not GET sold because of D&D, because of poor sales -- they'd likely just cut down on LOE to bring more product to market, and I'd feel horrible for the designers and developers on staff, but I also don't think the D&D RPG would necessarily go away -- it would jsut be scaled back.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I find the idea that Hasbro "lighting a fire" under WotC a bit silly. From all I've seen over the years since Hasbro bought the company, Hasbro has been very hands off and allowed WotC just about complete autonomy. Nothing that has happened recently really points to anyone "lighting a fire" underneath WotC, much less Hasbro.

Well from what I heard, the rounds of firings and "consolidation" that happened after WotC spent $Texas on the outsourcing of the DDI were the result of Hasbro taking notice and not being happy with what happened. From people that worked on it I've talked to before, things were not pleasant.

I have absolutely no idea about 4e as a whole and any pressure there, but I can speculate along with everyone else ;)

Raven Crowking

First Post
I don't think it is true, but if it was it wouldn't be the worst possible scenario.

I mean, after all, a new company putting out a new edition would in no way impair anyone's use or enjoyment of 4e, right?

Festivus

First Post
My hope is that we will see the essentials line, particularly the red box, in stores like Toys R Us and Target for holiday shopping season. That would help to grow the hobby, and provide a gateway for people to come in and buy the stuff that Toys R Us and Target doesn't carry... the books... at the FLGS.

malraux

First Post
I don't think it is true, but if it was it wouldn't be the worst possible scenario.

I mean, after all, a new company putting out a new edition would in no way impair anyone's use or enjoyment of 4e, right?

Given it would probably shut down the ddi, it would actually impair my enjoyment somewhat.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm sure there's some pressure from Hasbro on WotC to make sure their products are making a profit, but I doubt Hasbro is pressing WotC to make D&D "sell or else".

From what I've read (and experienced myself), it takes at least six months to a year to go from an idea for a book product to having the finished product. That means things like the red box isn't an "OMG, we gotta get new gamers fast to save the line or else", but that it's been deliberately planned for some time now.

Though, glancing over the recent dragonborn booklet and comparing it to, say Complete Book of Elves, I'm wondering why they aren't doing a meatier book for the new series.

Remove ads