• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It feels to me like Hasbro has lit a fire under Wizards of the Coast, and given them

Smeelbo

First Post
3 renown points for using PHB3 and 1 (I believe) for using the Character Builder, when the rewards are obtained at 30 and 50 total renown points
3 Reknown for PHB3 race or class, 1 Reknown for PHB3 Feat, and 5, the highest Reknown Reward, equal to completing all quests, for making a character sheet using DDI. The first reward comes at 10 Reknown, not 30. Someone using DDI to make a PHB3 character with PHB3 feat starts 9 Reknown ahead of a PHB Ranger with photocopied character sheet. At 3 Reknown per most weeks, the PHB3 DDI character starts three weeks ahead of the PHB Photocopied character.

Smeelbo
Abuser of BBCodes

crazy_cat

Adventurer
3 Reknown for PHB3 race or class, 1 Reknown for PHB3 Feat, and 5, the highest Reknown Reward, equal to completing all quests, for making a character sheet using DDI
Given this is all related to a promotion being run by WOTC why is it any kind of surprise that it promotes owning and using new books and the DDI and other WOTC products?

malraux

First Post
3 Reknown for PHB3 race or class, 1 Reknown for PHB3 Feat, and 5, the highest Reknown Reward, equal to completing all quests, for making a character sheet using DDI. The first reward comes at 10 Reknown, not 30. Someone using DDI to make a PHB3 character with PHB3 feat starts 9 Reknown ahead of a PHB Ranger with photocopied character sheet. At 3 Reknown per most weeks, the PHB3 DDI character starts three weeks ahead of the PHB Photocopied character.

Smeelbo
Abuser of BBCodes

Is that a bad thing? From a store owner's perspective, it seems neutral to good that WotC incentivizes buying more product.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Ok, as a non-native english speaker/writer, I have a pressing question.

Is it "reknown" or "renown"? You guys are making me confused!

/M

Smeelbo

First Post
thatdarnedbob said:
Seriously though, I've transferred the vast majority of my gaming purchases to Amazon because the faceless people filling my orders with them and the gaming stores that list products on their site give me a much better service experience than my local gaming stores with owners similar to you.
Today, we opened up our second game room for D&D at 1PM. As of the time of this post, we have three groups of D&D playing: one beginning at 1st level, one at 5th level, and another at 6th level. At 2PM, another table started for a Traveller campaign. We've made this space available to the players free of charge. Over a third of our main sales floor is devoted to open gaming: 6 tables, 36 chairs, available at no cost, 7 days a week, from store open to close.

We host D&D Encounters every Wednesday (I DM it, off the clock), and we've hosted a series of Wednesday night 4E campaigns (volunteer DMs, mostly myself, off the clock) for almost the last two years. On weekends we open up a second game room, another 8 tables and 40ish chairs, and host the local 4E, RPG, and Boardgame Meetup Groups, in addition to running CCG tournaments 7 days a week. We've run every D&D World Wide Game Day, and I volunteer to run them all.

We maintain a list of players and their interests, and whenever a new book comes into stock, we give them a call and offer to hold the new book as if they had pre-ordered it, that is, 25% off. We support roleplaying campaigns outside the store as well, and introduce players of similar interests to one another.

What exactly is Amazon.com doing for you?
GMforPowergamers said:
wont some of the essentials target both new and old customers? I mean the new rules compandium, the tiles set both of witch target just as many people who played in 4e game day 1 as those that start brand new. Add to that the starter set has new powers and builds so some (mostly no DDI subscribers) current players will want those. Depending on the set up many of those books can be good (mostlikely not great) sellers.
In my experience, most players buy no or only a small number of books, and a small fraction of players, mostly GMs, buy the vast majority of books. Given what I've sold in the past, and to whom, I am torn about D&D Essentials. I am not sure what it will accomplish that I can't already with the very well produced existing 4E D&D Starter Box, with mini PHB, DMG/MM, tiles, tokens and dice, for $16.99.
GMforPowergamers said:
so to recap, the promotions ment to get people into your store is being improved.
Yes, I do appreciate the effort, and they are doing a much improved job providing adventures. However, I do not appreciate being strong-armed, e.g., run these Encounters if you want to sell the product as early as Barnes & Nobles, who does not run events. $25 dollars worth of pizza is nice, but they are essentially pushing their costs onto me. If I get two or more tables at next week's Encounters, where do you suppose the extra pizza money coming from? I could be playing with my own group on my own time, but instead, I am volunteering to run their campaign with their rules.
GMforPowergamers said:
maybe your open hostility to WotC as shown in this post comes across and limits your sales...
Actually, between two stores, I've sold about a thousand 4E books since release, including about 200 PHB/MM/DMG sets. To keep the game going, I volunteer to run every week, sometimes twice a week. I myself only get to play as a player twice a month.

I have every right to be vocally critical of Wizards of the Coast.
gamerprinter said:
He is primarily a comics shop, that also serves as an FLGS, but business is down in all aspects of his business, not just 4e and MTG sales. Being forced to purchase larger orders than he requires is further causing financial strain to his business, but if he does not comply to WotC requirements - they will screw him even harder.
Our store is similar situated: primarily a CCG shop, big WotC customer, but sales in general are actually up (although 4E sales are declining). However, I must say WotC never treats us that way, I suspect some of what the owner is telling you is B.S., or you don't understand him. What is true is that in order to get certain discounts, you have to maintain a specific volume. The only thing like that I've ever seen is when I order from other suppliers, some of their salesmen are on commission, and they often try to slip in extra product. If we don't catch that within 48 hours of delivery, we are stuck with the product. But it's always something like a couple extra copies of this, duplicate back orders, and so on. In my experience, WotC salespeople are very professional.
Ourph said:
Is it beyond the realm of possibility that these promotional events, rewards and incentives for customers and retailers are WotC's ideas?
I said I "feel" like a fire has been lit under them, based on my decades of previous experience with WotC. I was one of the first tournament organizers for Magic The Gathering, way before there was a DCI. Up until now, D&D Game Day Adventures appear to have been farmed out to their B-team, often apparently RPGA volunteers rather than actual staff, some of them so embarrassing they did not even credit an author, let alone an editor. D&D Encounters shows every sign of having dropped a lot of salary and cash. Why the sudden change? Based on the sales numbers I am seeing, I think they are highly motivated to turn things around as soon as possible.
malraux said:
Is that a bad thing? From a store owner's perspective, it seems neutral to good that WotC incentivizes buying more product.
I'd prefer it to be less naked. I'd prefer it if the guy I just sold a PHB played on more equal footing. They'll already be behind compared to the more experienced players, why make the inequality more egregious? If recruiting new players is their primary goal, why not a Reknown reward for newbies? Why should the newbie be 3 weeks behind? The intro DDI may be free, but what about that computer?
Maggan said:
Is it "reknown" or "renown"? You guys are making me confused!
Renown. My apologies.

I move a lot of product. I serve a lot of players. I have every right to be critical of WotC.

Smeelbo
Abuser of EZCodes

Ourph

First Post
Up until now, D&D Game Day Adventures appear to have been farmed out to their B-team, often apparently RPGA volunteers rather than actual staff, some of them so embarrassing they did not even credit an author, let alone an editor. D&D Encounters shows every sign of having dropped a lot of salary and cash. Why the sudden change? Based on the sales numbers I am seeing, I think they are highly motivated to turn things around as soon as possible.
I totally buy that. I'm just saying, I find it much more likely that Wizards listened to feedback from their organized play partners that said their materials weren't up to par and decided to rectify the situation on their own rather than in response to some mandate from on high via Hasbro. I can't imagine anyone cares more about D&D being successful than the people at WotC.

deadsmurf

First Post
I'd prefer it if the guy I just sold a PHB played on more equal footing. They'll already be behind compared to the more experienced players, why make the inequality more egregious? If recruiting new players is their primary goal, why not a Reknown reward for newbies? Why should the newbie be 3 weeks behind?

Giving a newbie extra points is a great idea actually, hopefully it will be something they will get to next time (ie Get Your First DCI/RPGA number 3 pts)

Remove ads