Item Creation

Lameth

First Post
Hi!

I've been a lurker on these forums for a while now and see a lot of good advice given so I thought I'd present you with a little rule problem i have.

In the DMG each item comes with a caster level. Is this caster level a requirement when creating the items or is it just a guideline for how powerful the item is when calculating DC's for saves? I wonder because on some items it presents both a caster level for the item but also gives a further requirement of being at least level so and so.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanee

First Post
AFAIK, the caster level is meant only as the most common level at which the item is being made, but it can be any caster level, which is low (EDIT: high, HIGH enough :D) enough to cast the required spells at.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Antoine

First Post
Since the DMG 3.5 errata, I take it it's only an indication for saves, dispel checks and so on…

The only requirements for crafting an item are lisited under prerequisites.

Hope this helps.

dcollins

Explorer
Lameth said:
In the DMG each item comes with a caster level. Is this caster level a requirement when creating the items or is it just a guideline for how powerful the item is when calculating DC's for saves?

In brief:
3.0 DMG: Yes, it is a requirement.
3.0 Designer comments: No.
3.5 DMG: Yes.
3.5 Monte Cook comment: Yes, but it's a mistake.
3.5 Other Designer comments: No.
3.5 Errata: No, and we never said yes.

My reading is that only "yes" makes sense in the context of the existing magic item pricing rules. More on the topic: www.superdan.net/dndfaq2.html

robberbaron

First Post
I am happy with the Caster Level being the minimum caster level at which the character can make the item. If this ties in with the level necessary to cast the required spells, great.

nhl_1997

First Post
If the caster level given is a requirement for creating the item, then creating a Pearl of Power, 1st Level (market price of 1k gp) requires a 17th level caster to create the item.

You be the judge.

In my opinion, the caster level given for magic items only affects things such as the power of the magic aura it emmanates and the DC for dispel magic.

In fact, according to the description: "creator must be able to cast spells of the level to be recalled"

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
nhl_1997 said:
If the caster level given is a requirement for creating the item, then creating a Pearl of Power, 1st Level (market price of 1k gp) requires a 17th level caster to create the item.

Whole forests have died of people writing about pearl of power caster levels. It's addressed on my website above. Just as many examples can be pointed to in the other direction.

If pearl of power caster levels are messed up, then they should be fixed, not the whole magic item system in general.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases