Item Creation

Thanee

First Post
Just for the record, I also think the DMG non-errata version is pretty ok.

Sure, some items might be a bit weird (Pearl of Power, altho I would probably add Mordenkainen's Lucubration as a requirement, which would make the caster level 11th+).

Bye
Thanee

Treebore

First Post
That is why I kind of kept my item creation rules the same as they were in 2e.

Permanency is still required to make permanent items in my games. Permanency is a 5th level (All,universal) spell in my game. Only scrolls, potions, wands, rods, and staves can be made without permanency, unless they have permanent (don't use charges) effects on them. So to make arms and armor and wondrous items you have to be at least 10th level in my game anyways, plus be able to cast all spells involved, and not just off a scroll either.

But as I understand the rule the only spell casting requirement is that you are of the level to cast the spells necessary. The given CL, for things other than armor and weapons, is only to give the DM guidelines for determining items saves and ability to resist dispelling. These points are specifically stated somewhere in the pages about magic item creation in the DMG. In the weapons and armor sections they specifically talk about what CL is required to get what (enhancement) bonus on the armor and weapons. I also use the armor rules for determining what bonus is possible at what level for stat/ability enchancement items.

No where does it state the CL is a requirement for crafting/making the item, even though it is implied for things such as boots of Haste. A 10 round duration would require a 10th level caster. However there is no reason a 5th level caster couldn't make such boots with a 5 round duration and the craft WI feat.

As for the Pearl of Power question, it obviously needs to be disregarded, because if you argue that 17th level is the requirement to make 1st level pearls, then that same illogic would have to be followed to make a 9th level pearl as a 17th level caster. Of course, being the smart DM that I am, I have a feat that is also required to make that item. The feat is obtainable at 12th level and allows the spellcaster to recall any one spell per day. I think I have seen something like this feat somewhere in a WOTC book, but I'm not sure.

dcollins

Explorer
Thanee said:
Sure, some items might be a bit weird (Pearl of Power, altho I would probably add Mordenkainen's Lucubration as a requirement, which would make the caster level 11th+).

In my campaign I used Rary's mnemonic enhancer, setting the caster level at a base of 7th and going up for more powerful ones.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, I considered that for a moment, but it seems not really to emulate the effect properly. Mordenkainen's Lucubration does that.

Bye
Thanee

Treebore

First Post
Some rods and staves have "permanent" effects on them, so I require the permanency spell for them, such as the Staff of Power and Woodlands, or the Rod of Alertness.

Remove ads