• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Items that Grant Additional Spells Known

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hey, everyone.

I'm currently playing in a game where several different DMs switch up between games, and we each take turns DMing. Two of the characters are Sorcerers, and my character is a variant Cleric that gains Arcane spells added to his Cleric spell list. Anyway, I was wondering how one might price an item that granted an additional spell known- for example, a ring that allows the wearer to prepare or cast Fireball.

In other words, it just adds a certain spell to your spell list. You still have to prepare it in one of your slots (for a Cleric) or use up an unused spell slot (for a Sorcerer or Bard), and you still must provide all Material Components, Focuses, or XP costs. The only difference is that it's added to your spell list.

So how would you price something like this?

One idea is to first look at the base price of an item of infinite casting (using the guidelines in the DMG). For example, an item that let a person cast Fireball at will at the minimums would be 3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 1800 (Command Word activated) = 27,000. This would just be a base, of course. After all, this example allows the wearer to use the spell at will (as opposed to what I'm trying to go for, in which case the wearer would have to give up his own spells to power it), but this example's at the minimum DC and Caster Level (whereas the wearer of the other item would have appropriate DCs and Caster Levels for himself). Also, the user of my future item would have to give up material components, and the spell would have verbal and somatic components (making it easier to foil and identify).

My character (the Cleric with Arcane spells) has been given a few items throughout the course of our campaign that allowed him to cast a few more Arcane spells while he wears the item (given to him by one of the other DMs), and since none of us have been making/buying them, pricing hasn't been an issue- but one of the other DMs has been using an unofficial formula where you take the cost it would take to make an item of unlimited uses (such as the 27,000 gp for the Fireball item above) and cut the cost in half. This seems pretty reasonable to me. How about all of you?

iceifur

Explorer
I know that others may see this overpowered (or, depending on your tastes, underpowered :uhoh: ), but IMC we've used the following formula:

(Spell level)^2 * 1000 gp, same as a "Pearl of Power"

OR​

0th: 500 gp
1st: 1000 gp
2nd: 4000 gp
3rd: 9000 gp
4th: 16000 gp
5th: 25000 gp
6th: 36000 gp
7th: 49000 gp
8th: 64000 gp
9th: 81000 gp

The cost of a 0th-level spell is a little different due to the oddity of fractional multiplication -- instead, it's just 1/2 the price of a 1st-level spell.

I would place the price you're currently using for access to knowledge of a 9th-level spell, 137700 gp, as too high; a character can get a +5 stat-book for 200 fewer gp. Of course, YMMV.

DanMcS

Explorer
Don't cut the cost in half. An unlimited-use item pricing sounds about right. One of the main limitations of sorcerors especially is that they can only use a few spells. Letting them exceed that too cheaply would be bad.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've used a similar item, adding themed spells to a sorcerer's repertoire. The catch? the affinity is a hat slot, and it only comes in tall point wizard's caps. :)

youspoonybard

First Post
Hmmmm...

I'm not very good at item pricing, but in Complete Divine there are Relics that require spell slots to power, essentially, right?

It's kinda different, because they take one spell slot to power the item all day, but are there any hints for some pricing mechanism, like putting the Relic cost as a 24 hour benefit? Dunno, just throwing some ideas up.

iceifur

Explorer
DanMcS said:
Don't cut the cost in half. An unlimited-use item pricing sounds about right. One of the main limitations of sorcerors especially is that they can only use a few spells. Letting them exceed that too cheaply would be bad.

Yes, pricing such an item too cheaply would be bad indeed. But how cheap is too cheap? One of the main limitations of wizards is that they can only cast a limited number of spells per day when compared to a sorcerer (NOT trying to start a sorcerer vs. wizard debate). An item that partially alleviates this limitation of the wizard (and other classes that prepare their spells beforehand) is the "Pearl of Power," priced at (Spell level)^2 * 1000 gp.

I just cannot think of any reason to pay [Spell level * Caster level * 1800 gp] for one more spell known.

-B-

PS: I think I've read about your "Pointy Hat of Magical Knowledge" before, Piratecat. It still cracks me up. :D

Thanee

First Post
I probably wouldn't allow such an item, only as an artifact, but if so, the cost should at least be twice that of a pearl of power, I think.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Rokugan has such Items called Meishodo. You can't have a spell of higher than 5th level on it, though you can put metamagic on it and thus raise the the effective level to 9. They must we held in hand to be invoked (but you can tie them to the wrist and thus ready them for use as a free action) and you must have the Meishodo feat to use them. The Feat is an Item Creation Secret Lore Feat cause these geijin gadgets are only known by the Unicorn (which brought them with them when they returned to the empire).

Even with the restrictions, the Meishodo seem overpowered, though (I won't include all the details of the items)

Remove ads