It's Almost the Season for WOTC layoff!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Alright, reflecting on what i said earlier...

When I look for a career, I'm willing ot take a lower paying or otherwise less attractive offer if it's with someone that is less likely to lay my ass off sometime down the line, because I like stability in my life and really hate interviewing for new work. To me, the security is worth other tradeoffs. For others, the view is to take as much money and valuable experience as you can get and be in a good position to find new work when the gravy train ends.

I'm not saying we shouldn't feel bad for these people, layoffs still suck. No one deserves to be layed off. But, they chose to work there. If someone else passed on the "opportunity of a lifetime" to get in a few years at WotC and went on to land another lower profile and lower paying gaming job that kept them employed for many years, do we mourn them for what they missed out on?

nedjer

Adventurer
A thread that maybe highlights what employees are doing right, or possibly offers a useful way of looking at or presenting an employment protecting argument, seems of more practical use than wailing and lamentations, (i.e. rubbernecking), after the event.

That may or may not have been the OPs original intention, but would it be so bad to talk up WoTC for what the do right along with the regular pops at what they've done 'wrong'.

the Jester

Legend
While I agree that this thread is tasteless, the clamoring calls to close the thread are kind of ridiculous.

Come on- 'tasteless' is pretty far from 'offensive' (even though the tastelessness itself may offend!), and the point that, assuming the annual round of layoffs comes, we'd be having the discussion in a couple of months is pretty telling.

If you object to this thread so much, don't post in it and it will slip off the front page quickly and die a natural death. But these "omg i m so offennded" posts are just silly. It's easy enough just to stay out.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
While I agree that this thread is tasteless, the clamoring calls to close the thread are kind of ridiculous.

Come on- 'tasteless' is pretty far from 'offensive' (even though the tastelessness itself may offend!), and the point that, assuming the annual round of layoffs comes, we'd be having the discussion in a couple of months is pretty telling.

If you object to this thread so much, don't post in it and it will slip off the front page quickly and die a natural death. But these "omg i m so offennded" posts are just silly. It's easy enough just to stay out.

QFT, it's getting really annoying and in any other thread would have been declared a threadjack by now.

Remove ads