• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's dead, how is it still flying.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
According to "I, Tyrant" beholders levitate naturally, not through any form of magic. This is due to small pockets of lighter-than-air gas being held all over the body. The book specifically says that there are enough that even being damaged in combat would not make a beholder fall to the ground if some of the sacs were ruptured.

That pretty much means that when you kill a beholder, it stays floating in the air.

Of course, you can say that since the beholder regulates how much gas is in those sacs (the better to levitate up or down with) then it just ceases utilizing them as it dies, and thus drops.

Undead beholders do still float due to the remaining sacs being used.

A beholder turned to stone is stone. It can't use natural processes, and it falls to the ground.

pogre

Legend
THis thread name needs to be changed to: Cool visuals with Dead Beholders. Then it needs moved to the General Forum!!

I was thinking it needs to be changed to: Hivemind - Dead Beholders. Then it needs to be moved to the Meta Forum!:)

It is fun reading though...

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
Instead of just floating, if they are outside, have them blow away like a tumbleweed. In big windstorms with lots of dead beholders, I bet the kids would stay indoors.

Btw... cool visual. :D

Technik4

First Post
What about an archmage with a beholderkin "eyeball" as a familiar who likes to polymorph himself into a beholder and parade around as an Eye Tyrant who comes up against a Half-Beholder Doppleganger who can morph between any beholderkin ever conceived and often enjoys lording over any real one-eyed wonders he finds?

Suddenly the 2 meet and a quick battle ensues with each of them cinematically killing the other without the use of magic or their disentegration beams, the eyeball of course thinks this is a pretty cool visual and decides to set up shop in the half-beholders carcass (which is floating) and uses the fallen polyed wizards body as a treasure-room/honeymoon-suite.

Technik

PS- Whenever I think of Beholders I get a pretty cool visual, especially dead beholders that are still floating in a sort-of graveyard-like thing. Anyone agree? ... not to change the subject. :)

Jaxom

First Post
I agree I think this thread is done...
But this actually occured in a game I was playing in at the time I posted and I wondered if a beholder really did keep floating or not after being killed.

I read a step by step adventure done on the Wizards sight and one of the encounters had the players defeating a beholder. Even in the example the DM described the dead creature as still floating in the air where it had been slain.

What a creepy thing to see :D

Thanks for all the responses.

Drunken_Master

First Post
Alright, everyone seems to feel that a graveyard of flying Beholders is a cool idea... But doesn't it say that a Beholder is also subject to feather fall, in which case I believe that it would slowly glide to the ground (Having no will to remain up)... Sorry for messing up all your fantasies...

V_Shane

First Post
Dead_Beholder.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads