• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It's October 1. Do you known where your spell cards are?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Now I'm getting annoyed, I also am missing the Mislead card for 5th Level.

BB

Face it folks, Im so far not very impressed with GF9. They are producing licensed products, which is a big deal, and failing to put concentration and missing cards is not a great start. They are making profit on this, and as a customer I am less than impressed. That said, I do hope the correct this (stating they ran out of space sounds like an excuse to me). I also hope that with them producing the Screens and tokens that they start doing a better job of QA before releasing them, particularly since they are releasing things several months late (I still cant find these at 3 FLGS I visited yesterday).

I've commented on their FB page, and as a consumer its my right to say this.

And to the OP: its October 26 and still these products are not on the shelves, even 2 WPN stores that just put out Rise of Tiamat.

JTorres

First Post
Face it folks, Im so far not very impressed with GF9. They are producing licensed products, which is a big deal, and failing to put concentration and missing cards is not a great start. They are making profit on this, and as a customer I am less than impressed. That said, I do hope the correct this (stating they ran out of space sounds like an excuse to me). I also hope that with them producing the Screens and tokens that they start doing a better job of QA before releasing them, particularly since they are releasing things several months late (I still cant find these at 3 FLGS I visited yesterday).

I've commented on their FB page, and as a consumer its my right to say this.

And to the OP: its October 26 and still these products are not on the shelves, even 2 WPN stores that just put out Rise of Tiamat.

What makes these delays even more odd is that the character tokens were being sold at this past Gen Con by GF9 at WotC's bazaar. I know this to be a fact because I bought a few packs of tokens for my group. How is it these things were being sold at Gen Con in mid-August but they can't seem to make it to any of the stores late October?

Joe Liker

First Post
Again - genius move by WotC on licensing and outsourcing. We're all upset at GF9.
Not to mention, either WotC didn't bother doing its own approval pass, or they did one and missed these outrageous errors.

I'm very happy with the WotC-created materials, but their track record for outsourced materials is 1-for-3 in my opinion. Both this and HotDQ are stinkers that no one should waste a dime on. I guess the "lean and mean" business model has a lot of downsides after all.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
What makes these delays even more odd is that the character tokens were being sold at this past Gen Con by GF9 at WotC's bazaar. I know this to be a fact because I bought a few packs of tokens for my group. How is it these things were being sold at Gen Con in mid-August but they can't seem to make it to any of the stores late October?

I went to the Wizards D&D bazaar, and did not see the tokens, so I missed out on getting these at Gen Con. But I agree with you Joe Liker, so far the products being released by Kobold press are top notch and very impressive, not to sure that from the spell card errors being reported that GF9 will live up to expectations. I have asked them 2x on their Facebook page (which they monitor regularly) when the spell cards would be out, both times I got different dates (last being 9/24). So far nada. I even asked my FLGS when they would be in and he said that the distrubutor doesnt even list them (and this is a premiere WPN store).

Wizards really needs to have better control of licensing their brand.

At first I defended GF9 with the missing "Concentration" verbiage but this is snowballing. I agree that WOTC should have been doing some kind of audit/inspection of these products before having them sold.

The main products from WOTC have been incredible (IMHO) but the outsourcing, including the Hoard of the Dragon adventure (map numbering and so forth), have gotten nothing but complaints.

I'm not going to buy anything more from GF9 and may not even touch anything outsourced until it's seriously looked into by WOTC.

BB

Warunsun

First Post
Today my Bard, Cleric, and Druid Spell Cards shipped from GF9. However, the D&D: Character Token Set was unfortunately out of stock. I should have them on Thursday.

Joe Liker

First Post
I just got an e-mail response from GF9's parent company, Battleforce Games. They confirm that the omission of "Concentration" in the duration entries was intentional, to save space, and suggest that all spells with "up to" in the duration are concentration spells. (Which is mostly true, though not entirely, as etherealness and a couple of cantrips are exceptions.)

So it doesn't seem likely that the cards will be reprinted. Well, I tried: guess it's time to find a marker or some nice tiny stickers and annotate the cards myself.
After checking the entire list myself, it seems "a couple of cantrips" is literally accurate. They are prestidigitation and thaumaturgy, and it's not hard to remember that those do not require concentration. Etherealness is harder to remember, but I don't feel like it's going to come up that often, if ever, in my games. But I don't really see the need to annotate every single Concentration card.

So while I do think it was a blunder not to have some sort of icon, or at the very least a package insert explaining that "up to" = Concentration, I can no longer honestly say I think the cards are useless. The mislead omission is unfortunate, but I can make my own or swipe it from the bard deck.

I'm still not a fan of the studio or the way they handled this, but I will grudgingly put the cards on my wish list and maybe even actually buy them someday.

fjw70

Adventurer
Today my Bard, Cleric, and Druid Spell Cards shipped from GF9. However, the D&D: Character Token Set was unfortunately out of stock. I should have them on Thursday.

Looks like I need to cancel my Miniature Market order and just get them direct from GF9.

sidonunspa

First Post
wish they would have given the licence to us at Paradigm Concepts, we did spell cards for 3.0 and were....obessessed... with making sure they were 100% useable at the table..

the ommicion of something as core to the system as concentration makes this product a no go.. for me

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads