D&D General It's Time To Vote For Your Favourite D&D Monster!

Nominations were taken! Now it's time to vote. What's our favourite D&D monster of all time? Vote now! You may select up to three monsters from the list.

What's your favourite D&D monster? Vote for up to three!

• Aranea

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Behir

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beholder

Votes: 134 38.6%
  • Black Dragon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Blue Dragon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Boneyard

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Chasme

• Death Knight

Votes: 45 13.0%
  • Displacer Beast

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Gargantuan Spider

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Gelatinous Cube

Votes: 59 17.0%
  • Githyanki

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Goblin

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Grell

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Kobold

Votes: 40 11.5%
  • Lich

Votes: 70 20.2%
  • Meenlock

• Mimic

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • Mind Flayer

Votes: 144 41.5%
  • Nightwalker

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Ogre Mage

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Otyugh

Votes: 21 6.1%
  • Owlbear

Votes: 64 18.4%
  • Red Dragon

Votes: 82 23.6%
  • Umber Hulk

Votes: 18 5.2%

Nominations were taken! Now it's time to vote. What's our favourite D&D monster of all time? Vote now! You may select up to three monsters from the list.

You need to be logged in to vote.

ry3vxu7bkehhwigsfy3u.jpg

Remember, we're voting for your favourite monsters; they don't have to be the biggest, or the most iconic.

FAQ: Why isn't [my favourite monster] in the list? Because you didn't nominate it.

Black Dragon, Goblins, and Red Dragon for me. It all goes back to DMing these monsters in some memorable encounters. I find most of D&Ds monsters interesting, even the common ones.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I’m rather surprised that the three dragons have been separated by colour, ’cause to me any true dragon is pretty much the same monster, just with minor differences. From the list, my choices were Red Dragon, Kobold and Mind Flayer. Red because it’s the most iconic and mostly represents my choice of ”any” True Dragon. It is in the name of D&D, and an essential part of the game. Kobold is my favourite low level enemy, and I still use the legendary Meepo any chance I get. And Mind Flayers are also iconic and utterly alien monster that I just love their presentation in all monster manuals, eventhough I propably have never used them in game 😀

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For my part, Mind Flayers are a major ongoing enemy in my current campaign, have been for a while, and will likely remain so well into the foreseeable future. So, I guess I'd better vote for 'em.

That said, next time you want nominations, just ask for nominations. Asking for images as well brings copyright issues into things, unless one has one's own homegrown monster images lying around.

EDIT to add: actually, thinking further, this would be a prime candidate for an open-ended poll (if the software would support such) - you put in a list of 20 or so major monsters but leave a line at the bottom for people to add their own; then whenever someone adds a monster (and by adding it also auto-votes for it), it gets put on the list and shown to everyone else viewing the poll thereafter such that they can vote for it too. Trying to add something already on the list draws an error note.

The poll originator would have to go in every so often to clean up the list and combine votes where required e.g. if one person added Flumph and another added Flumphs these would need to be combined into one or the other.

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Now that is strange, I voted and it seems among the three mobs I voted are the two with the most votes and the third is high up also.
I feel so mediocre and average now :p - I always thought I was a bit extravagant and out of line, but it seems that nerds also share similar characteristics all around the world.

Nah. One of my votes is below 20%. Another is single digit. The last is below 1% as is the one i nominated. Unfortunately i feel like a hipster now. Which i am not. The crazy thing is the one just below 20% and dropping is the lich. I would have expected that one to at least make it over 20%.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I went with Beholder, Mindflayer and Lich, but it's weird because I could have easily went; Goblin, Kobold, ...Orc isn't there or Gnolls so maybe Owlbear. I use those monsters way more and have tons of fun with them, they aren't as "D&D" specific though. Favorites though would probably include more obscure ones that I rarely use as "monsters" like Flumphs or Ki-rin.

Hussar

Legend
Well, I did put grell in there because I've always had a soft spot for them. Even way, way back, there was an adventure collection in 2e that featured a medusa having trouble with grell and needing the PC's to help her. I always thought it was a really cool set up.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads