D&D General It's Time To Vote For Your Favourite D&D Monster!

Nominations were taken! Now it's time to vote. What's our favourite D&D monster of all time? Vote now! You may select up to three monsters from the list.

What's your favourite D&D monster? Vote for up to three!

• Aranea

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Behir

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beholder

Votes: 134 38.6%
  • Black Dragon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Blue Dragon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Boneyard

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Chasme

• Death Knight

Votes: 45 13.0%
  • Displacer Beast

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Gargantuan Spider

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Gelatinous Cube

Votes: 59 17.0%
  • Githyanki

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Goblin

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Grell

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Kobold

Votes: 40 11.5%
  • Lich

Votes: 70 20.2%
  • Meenlock

• Mimic

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • Mind Flayer

Votes: 144 41.5%
  • Nightwalker

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Ogre Mage

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Otyugh

Votes: 21 6.1%
  • Owlbear

Votes: 64 18.4%
  • Red Dragon

Votes: 82 23.6%
  • Umber Hulk

Votes: 18 5.2%

Nominations were taken! Now it's time to vote. What's our favourite D&D monster of all time? Vote now! You may select up to three monsters from the list.

You need to be logged in to vote.

ry3vxu7bkehhwigsfy3u.jpg

Remember, we're voting for your favourite monsters; they don't have to be the biggest, or the most iconic.

FAQ: Why isn't [my favourite monster] in the list? Because you didn't nominate it.

I haven't had a beholder or mindflayer fight in FOREVER. I can't even remember the last time. Has anyone ever used two beholders or two mind flayers at once? That would be a damn difficult encounter.

The one time I used Mindflayers, I used multiple, plus a Mindflayer leader (boss) This was with a high level party though. The boss could attach himself to some sort of fleshy tube on the wall to regenerate some of his health, until the players chopped it to bits.

In my current campaign I'm using a homebrew monster that is a hybrid between a Beholder and a Kraken. So it has the antimagic cone, the eyerays (from its tentacles), plus the scary melee damage of a Kraken. My players are reasonably anxious to fight it, and have delayed to do so for several sessions now. So slowly but surely I've been increasing the frequency and severity of the creature's attacks. I'm fine with them delaying the fight. I'll just go over here and eat this entire orphanage... :ROFLMAO:

Hussar

Legend
I do tell a lie. I ran Dragon Heist and there's a mind flayer on screen for about two seconds in the adventure. :D So, yes, I have used them.

I think what's on this list is interesting, but, what's not on the list I think is even more interesting. No Vrocks or Balor. No devils at all. Not sure what it says, if anything, but it is interesting.

I used owlbears and baby owlbears in my last 2 Phandelver sessions. Scared the party, they're new players and the concept of an OWL melded with a bear freaked them out!
im imagining a combination between owlets and cubs (owletcubs?) And it is the cutest damn nightmare fuel ever. Can i steal this? If a player asks how i camwnup with it i will immediately say its you. Ive never thought about using hatchling owl bears. Its adorible and horrifying.

I do tell a lie. I ran Dragon Heist and there's a mind flayer on screen for about two seconds in the adventure. :D So, yes, I have used them.

I think what's on this list is interesting, but, what's not on the list I think is even more interesting. No Vrocks or Balor. No devils at all. Not sure what it says, if anything, but it is interesting.
I think that the game's authors/dms/players/community in general are all veering toward being a little weirdly skittish of involving more heavily spiritual elements lately. Dont know if you're noticing the same thing but ive been noticing it. The creatures used or liked i think ive noticed as part of the trend.

Hussar

Legend
I think that the game's authors/dms/players/community in general are all veering toward being a little weirdly skittish of involving more heavily spiritual elements lately. Dont know if you're noticing the same thing but ive been noticing it. The creatures used or liked i think ive noticed as part of the trend.
Dunno about that. They did just bang out an entire Adventure Path centered around demons. And they're banging out another one this year, so, it's not like demons are off the table. One of the larger possible plots in Dragon Heist focused on Asmodeus cultists. I'm not sure I'm seeing a trend.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I haven't had a beholder or mindflayer fight in FOREVER. I can't even remember the last time. Has anyone ever used two beholders or two mind flayers at once? That would be a damn difficult encounter.

I had an entire Mind Flayer colony with an elder brain. It was sneak in, smash and grab, and get the hell out scenario. Even at the upper ends of third tier / lower ends of 4th tier, the way I constructed it and played them, it would be neigh impossible to "clear" the colony.

Both mind flayers and beholders are supposed to be extremely intelligent and paranoid. With mind-flayer colonies add access to millennia of shared memories and knowledge. Add to that that both levitate and can build lairs to take advantage of that fact.

I'm a huge fan of both.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads