• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ITS WORKING! D20 modern Automated Character Generator

Nadaka

First Post
I add a "weight" to skills to create a more realistic distribution of skill points. This weight increases the chance that that skill, or one meeting a specific criteria such as being a class skill or being a skill that already has some ranks in it.

Right now any skill with ranks recieves a flat bonus to its weight. This means that all skills that have ranks and meet the same class skill criteria have the same weight. This leads to characters that generally have low ranks in a lot of skills, especially at higher levels (but its much better than an unweighted system). If I were to multiply the weight by the skill ranks, it would mean that some few skills would likely reach MAX ranks. Most PCs are built the same way, they have a few skills at high levels and a few at lower levels.

Nadaka

First Post
Dho! I found a bug. THere is an error produced when generating a high level character with a primary class of strong. I'll work on this later tonight, after work and helping a friend move.

As for increasing weight for skills, I have had the opposite request at wizards.com. SO I decided on the option of letting the user choose the skill weights.

That way everyone can get what they want.

dream66_

First Post
I got this, every time I tried to generate more than one character at a time.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'ClassAss'

/ModernNPC.asp, line 697

Also are the Skills weighted by Occupation? Cuz it doesn't quite seem they are, and I think that would be an important feature.

Nadaka

First Post
dream66_ said:
I got this, every time I tried to generate more than one character at a time.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'ClassAss'

/ModernNPC.asp, line 697

Also are the Skills weighted by Occupation? Cuz it doesn't quite seem they are, and I think that would be an important feature.

Error in generation of multiple NPCs is fixed.

The occupation skills (that are selected as part of the occupation) are treated as class skills for thier weight. Each class skill is roughly 10 times more likely to be selected than any single cross-class skill. But no, they are not weighted above other class skills.

EDIT: I fixed the issue with high level strong hero's, apperently I forgot to put an entry in for the 9th level BAB.

REEDIT: I added The ability to select the weight of taken and class skills.

Last edited:

Nadaka

First Post
bump... I got to cram for a cal3 test so I wont be updating the NPC generator for a bit.

But I have done some boundary testing and I have not been able to get it to throw an error since the last update.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Looking very good. Just played around with it and it looks quite robust. The option to change up the weights for various skills was a nice touch. With a couple of tries on the same settings, I was able to get the kind of "Doctor" I was looking for to build.

--fje

Nadaka

First Post
Thanks, just for the heck of it I just generated a character, and she turned out awesome!
The bad news is that I just discovered a BUG! the language skills should not have an ability score modifier applied to them.

Looking at her skills, you can see how she would make an interesting character, but one with some varied talents as well. She is Perceptive, charismatic and strong. Not your typical investigator, she prefers to deal with people and arcane knowledges.

http://www.nadaka.us/ModernNPC.asp?...ny&Class=Any&Number=1&Seed=0.8054044997522274

Jill Lawson: heroic female human Investigative (Investigate, KnowledgeCivics, OccupationBonusFeat) Dedicated 10/Smart 3/Tough 2/Strong 1/Fast 3/Charismatic 1; CR=20;
HP=82 (rolls=6, 5, 2, 6, 6, 5, 4, 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 8, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 4); MAS=10; INIT=1; SPD=30ft; Defence=24 (10 + cls=13 + dex=1, touch=24, FlatFooted=23);
BAB=11; Grap=14; Attack=14; (1d3+3 nonlethal unarmed strike); Melee=14; Ranged=12; Face=5ftx5ft; Reach=5ft;
Saves: Fort=11; Refl=8; Will=13; Abilities: str=17(3), dex=12(1), con=10(0), int=13(1), wis=20(5), cha=18(4)
Skills: ComputerUse=7 (R=6 M=1); CraftPharmaceutical=9 (R=8 M=1); CraftStructural=3 (R=2.5 M=1); CraftWriting=7 (R=6 M=1); Gamble=8 (R=3 M=5); Investigate=2 (R=0 M=1 O=1); KnowledgeArcaneLore=9 (R=8 M=1); KnowledgeArt=9 (R=8 M=1); KnowledgeBehavioralScience=3 (R=2.5 M=1); KnowledgeBusiness=4 (R=3 M=1); KnowledgeCivics=2 (R=0 M=1 O=1); KnowledgeCurrentEvents=7 (R=6 M=1); KnowledgeEarthAndLifeSciences=8 (R=7 M=1); KnowledgePhysicalSciences=6 (R=5 M=1); KnowledgePopularCulture=4 (R=3 M=1); KnowledgeStreetwise=9 (R=8 M=1); KnowledgeTactics=4 (R=3 M=1); KnowledgeTechnology=5 (R=4.5 M=1); KnowledgeTheologyAndPhilosophy=13 (R=12 M=1); PerformStrings=5 (R=1 M=4); PerformWinds=4 (R=0.5 M=4); Profession=8 (R=3 M=5); ReadWriteLanguage=11 (R=6.5 M=5); SenseMotive=11 (R=6 M=5); SpeakLanguage=8 (R=7.5 M=1); TreatInjury=13 (R=8.5 M=5);
Feats: OccupationBonusFeat; SimpleWeapons; Level1Feat; Level1Feat; DedicatedFeat; Level3Feat; DedicatedFeat; Level6Feat; DedicatedFeat; DedicatedFeat; Level9Feat; DedicatedFeat; Level12Feat; SmartFeat; Level15Feat; ToughFeat; FastFeat; Level18Feat
Special: DedicatedTalent; DedicatedTalent; AbilityIncreaseStrength; DedicatedTalent; SmartTalent; DedicatedTalent; AbilityIncreaseStrength; DedicatedTalent; ToughTalent; AbilityIncreaseWisdom; StrongTalent; SmartTalent; FastTalent; AbilityIncreaseWisdom; FastTalent; CharismaticTalent; AbilityIncreaseWisdom

Nadaka

First Post
Update: I have found and fixed a bug where the class levels are reported incorrectly when generating more than one character. The error was: levels of smart hero added up from one character to the next. resulting in a character displaying 11+ (possibly 50 or more) levels of smart hero.

Hopefully that is the last bug to be fixed before I add feat selection and advanced classes.

Ive found that the best setting of skill wieghts (IMO) are 40 for class skills and 200 for taken skills.

enjoy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads