I've Demoed Serenity RPG- Any questions?

Macbeth

First Post
Hmmm... A lack of character improvement would not be a good thing. I still think Serenity has a good amount of promise, but it seems like it may have some issues.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Hmmm... A lack of character improvement would not be a good thing. I still think Serenity has a good amount of promise, but it seems like it may have some issues.

I don't know why you'd expect to see evidence of character development in a convention-based demo of the system.....

Meloncov

First Post
GMSkarka said:
I don't know why you'd expect to see evidence of character development in a convention-based demo of the system.....

I wouldn't in the game itself, but looking at the charector sheet, their is nothing evidencing any sort of linear advancement. That could just be then trying to keep the sheet as simple as possible. Also, the traits, which seem to solely determine stats, do not seem to be things easily added-most relate somehow to background. It is quite possible that there is some sort of advancement, but it is certaintly subtle, and causes a relatively minor power change when compared to D20. This has its advantages; you can add an inexpierenced charector into the game without the player feeling useless.

RodneyThompson

First Post
After speaking with one of the guys running the Serenity demos, apparently the character advancement rules are intimately tied in with your ability to roleplay your character. You get these "plot points" during gameplay as a reward for good roleplaying (i.e. accurately portraying your disadvantages) that can then be used like action points/Force points/etc. to enhance rolls during gameplay. At the end of the session, leftover plot points are used for character advancement, though how I do not know.

I can definitely see whole campaign set in the universe, and I'm jonesin' to pick up this book.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
All games I've seen has some form of character progression. There may not be levels but there should be something. Like White Wolf, you improve you skills and abilities, but don'e really go up in level.

RodneyThompson

First Post
Since your skill improvements are based on scaling up your dice -- moving from d2 to d4 to d6 to d8 etc. -- I'd say that's what we'll see for character advancement. You will likely spend plot points to increase your skills, or sub-skills (of which I believe there are several).

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Looked through the system ... it looks "okay". Pretty simple, pretty straightforward. I can't say as there's anything particularly WRONG with it, but I don't see anything about it that I can't do equally well with d20 ... Grim Tales, say.

So I'll probably pick up the book for setting-stealing and flavor information, but it'll be easier for my mind to keep cranking to just run it with GT.

--fje

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases