How 'Hope' and 'Fear' Work In Critical Role's Daggerheart

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 13.38.34.png

The core mechanic of Critical Role's upcoming roleplaying game uses two 12-sided dice--one is called the Hope die, and the other is Fear die.

When a player makes a check, they roll both dice and add them together, comparing them to a check DC (which goes from 5 to 30, depending on the difficulty). Where the Hope and Fear come in is in the form of a meta currency reminiscent of Modiphius' 2d20 System--the players amass Hope, while the GM collects Fear. Whichever die rolls higher in a check generates a Hope or a Fear point.

These points can then be spent--Hope can be spent by the players for bonuses, and Fear is spent by the GM to add a complication to hinder the players. Players can power special abilities or help allies (giving them +1d6 to a check). The GM spends it on using enemy's special moves, ticking countdowns, adding damage, and so on.

It is fairly similar to the 2d20 System, which is utilised slightly differently in Modiphius' various games using names like Momentum, Threat, and Doom (and, indeed, 2d20 is credited as an inspiration).

Reynard

Legend
Some folks have been concerned that the GM ends up with too much Fear in hand. I have not had a chance to run this yet, so I will be curious if I find the same thing. Just from reading, though, it seems like the GM should be constantly spending Fear as it is the main tool to do things as the GM. What have others found?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I can't say it's the same, but it reminds me of my experience with FFG's Star Wars Destiny Tokens. Players would use their "good" side for bonuses, the GM used their "bad" side for complications, when they got flipped they'd be available to the other side for use... But halfway through the session we'd used all our good tokens and the DM had the whole pile as bad tokens.

We did not survive that intro adventure.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I can't say it's the same, but it reminds me of my experience with FFG's Star Wars Destiny Tokens. Players would use their "good" side for bonuses, the GM used their "bad" side for complications, when they got flipped they'd be available to the other side for use... But halfway through the session we'd used all our good tokens and the DM had the whole pile as bad tokens.

We did not survive that intro adventure.
Some GMs have trouble using things like those tokens. He should have been churning those things back to you fairly often to let you keep using them.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Some GMs have trouble using things like those tokens. He should have been churning those things back to you fairly often to let you keep using them.
Yeah it was the intro adventure, we were all trying it out including the DM. I guess mistakes were made 😂

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This is why for my personal playstyle I actually prefer having that kind of "currency" only in the hands of the players. As a GM I'm used to being able to set difficulties and throw complications at the group based on what the narrative needs and if I need to remember to spend points along with those kinds of decisions I will inevitably forget.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is why for my personal playstyle I actually prefer having that kind of "currency" only in the hands of the players. As a GM I'm used to being able to set difficulties and throw complications at the group based on what the narrative needs and if I need to remember to spend points along with those kinds of decisions I will inevitably forget.
It's definitely a mindset to get into. Between FFG Star Wars and games like Mutants and Masterminds, the GM using certain features to ratchet up a narrative pace is explicitly paid for by putting resources directly into the hands of the players. I like the back and forth aspect of it.

Reynard

Legend
It's definitely a mindset to get into. Between FFG Star Wars and games like Mutants and Masterminds, the GM using certain features to ratchet up a narrative pace is explicitly paid for by putting resources directly into the hands of the players. I like the back and forth aspect of it.
I adapt something like Momentum/Threat to almost every game I run, especially con games. That is how I do Bennies and Force Points and Inspiration. I like the ebb and flow and I like when players have to make actual choices about whether to spend that thing. I am excited to see how it works in DH.

Remove ads