I've introduced my 5th ed group to AD&D 2E

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh, interesting, so your ability to sneak past something is completely decoupled from that thing-- so like an ancient dragon and the farmer have the same shot at seeing you, weird.
In general, yes. There are some caveats to the Thieving abilities- depending on how strictly your DM conforms to what the books say, you might run into difficulties. There was a forum thread about this several months back, where we had quite a back and forth about how well these abilities performed in games, and how often one could actually employ abilities like Backstab. But if your DM isn't a jerk about it, it can play fairly smoothly.

EDIT: for example, the caveat that you can't use Hide in Shadows in total darkness....

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Oh, interesting, so your ability to sneak past something is completely decoupled from that thing-- so like an ancient dragon and the farmer have the same shot at seeing you, weird.
It was balanced by the fact that you might not be the one rolling & may not know if you are being stealthy or not and by PCs being far more fragile when out on their own. Sneaking past monsters & interacting with stuff while sneaking was pretty dangerous :D

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Dragons can see invis and can smell you, as can some monsters with better senses. So sort of but not exactly.

Remember Smog could still smell Bilbo.

James Gasik

Supporter
I don't think there exists an AD&D group that uses the rules as written. Either they don't actually know all the rules and came up with their own solutions, or they just don't like how the rules work, it's all academic.

I used to have to deal with some obnoxious rules lawyers when I started DMing, so I made sure to read the rulebooks constantly, to the point that, even if I didn't know it by heart, I knew where a given rule was in the book, and could quickly find it.

To this day, there are rules that, when I bring them up, make long-time veterans of the game look at me like I'm speaking arcane gibberish. Then I show them the passage in a book, and they go "oh well, we never played it that way", lol.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Dragons can see in is and can smell you, as can some monsters with better senses. So sort of but not exactly.

Remember Smog could still smell Bilbo.
Is that reflected mechanically somehow as part of the sneak or is this part of that "Gygaxian skilled play" thing where you would have to think to prepare to have a way to disguise your scent to not get auto found?

James Gasik

Supporter
Hide in Shadows and Move Silently do nothing to mask your scent. However, it is worth nothing that most creatures, in addition to lacking perception, do not have exceptional senses. Dragons are an exception, however:

Dragon.jpg

The Complete Thief's Handbook, however, has some items you can purchase that can mask your scent and help you camouflage yourself, to supplement your own abilities.

Remove ads