Jack Chick Passes Away

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

chick.jpg

[video=youtube;8qc9JiIiOSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ[/video]

knasser

First Post
I suggest you read it again, then.

That's a little patronizing. I studied it in English Literature and the view I've given is the one shared with my teacher. Maybe we're wrong but it would be better to give a reasoned argument rather than the antagonistic and void of facts "I suggest you read it again, then".

There's nothing heroic about Milton's Satan.

"What though the field be lost?
All is not lost; the unconquerable Will,
And study of revenge, immortal hate,
And courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome?"

These are the lines Satan utters in Book One, on being cast down: that though they lost the field of battle, they have not lost all. That their will is unconquered, that they will strike back, that they have courage enough to never submit, never to yield. Seriously - "nothing heroic about Satan in the work?" He is the quintessential rebel fighting for a cause he knows he cannot win. By modern sensibilities, that has the ring of a hero which is what I said. Plenty of other examples, also.

Milton gave us a great template for sympathetic evil, yes, but the key there is that it's still evil.

No, that was Milton's intent. But his work is, and the countless people who read the devil bits and find themselves barely able to to struggle through the turgid self-congratulating dialogues between God and Jesus will agree with me, acheiving something very much other than the author's intent. Despite Milton's views, people regard a person fighting against overwhelming odds, against a self-appointed ruler and refusing to break

If you want to leap in and tell me that my comments are wrong, please do so with some slightly politer and reasoned disagreement as to why I am, rather than "suggest you read it again" and reel of a handful of opinions as statements.

EDIT: Oh, and William Blake and Shelly both agreed with me, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For me the previews made it seem so bad. As soon as they hit the "LETS RPG!" part of the trailer I think I said no thanks.

It is a so-bad-it-is-good kinda flick. It is meant to be over the top, just like the Jack Chick track was. It isn't for everyone. I enjoyed it. It was a geeky homage to a piece of the 80s, making fun of anti-DnD hysteria simply by being true to the source. But I made an old gaming buddy of the same age as I watch it, and he didn't like it. Found it too campy.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The hate-filled worldview and lies he pedaled were incredibly dangerous and damaging. I'll shed no tears for him.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
That's a little patronizing. I studied it in English Literature and the view I've given is the one shared with my teacher. Maybe we're wrong but it would be better to give a reasoned argument rather than the antagonistic and void of facts "I suggest you read it again, then".

These are the lines Satan utters in Book One, on being cast down: that though they lost the field of battle, they have not lost all. That their will is unconquered, that they will strike back, that they have courage enough to never submit, never to yield. Seriously - "nothing heroic about Satan in the work?" He is the quintessential rebel fighting for a cause he knows he cannot win. By modern sensibilities, that has the ring of a hero which is what I said. Plenty of other examples, also.

No, that was Milton's intent. But his work is, and the countless people who read the devil bits and find themselves barely able to to struggle through the turgid self-congratulating dialogues between God and Jesus will agree with me, acheiving something very much other than the author's intent. Despite Milton's views, people regard a person fighting against overwhelming odds, against a self-appointed ruler and refusing to break

If you want to leap in and tell me that my comments are wrong, please do so with some slightly politer and reasoned disagreement as to why I am, rather than "suggest you read it again" and reel of a handful of opinions as statements.

EDIT: Oh, and William Blake and Shelly both agreed with me, btw.
Let me first say this: dismissing my arguments as "reel[ing] of a handful of opinions as statements," despite being nonsensical (statements can be opinions without changing that they are statements) whilst demanding that I adhere to your arbitrary standards of politeness isn't something that is well tailored to achieve your stated ends. Firstly, I'm rather immune to your demands on how I respond -- I will respond as I expect you will listen: however we want. Secondly, a bit of self awareness might go a long way towards assisting you in achieving your goals. Delivering a poorly veiled insult whilst insisting on civility might work with your friends, but it's unlikely to be a winning strategy in general. Or maybe it has been for you, hence why you use it? I suppose your mileage my vary.

That said, your original claim was:

End result is a book that anyone who reads it comes away thinking: "Go Satan! Fight the Man!".

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=496723#ixzz4O9QlERcV

This is clearly false, as I have both read Paradise Lost and do not think this. Your instructor, if he taught you this, was a fool, and I apologize to you for your poor education. William Blake nor Percy Blythe Shelley thought this, despite your claims that they did, but instead began the line of criticism that says that Satan comes off better as a literary character in Paradise Lost. This means that Satan is more entertaining to read about, not that it is proper or expected to root for him (although you're welcome to). And even this criticism is far from universal, as there's strong criticism against it and even for other interpretations (like that one that says that Milton intended Paradise Lost to be a criticism of the Church, or that the true meaning is that by seeing God as bad and Satan as good, we just reveal our fallen state). So, there's a huge chunk of academia that disagrees with you.

Milton's portrayal of God is hard to love for modern audiences, but not so much for the audience of his time. It wasn't until the Romantics (Blake and Shelley) that the line of criticism that says Satan is the better character between the two shows up, and the Romantics aren't exactly an example of paragons of virtue -- it's almost inevitable that they would think this. But, even there, they don't claim he's a hero, but just that he's the more interesting between Satan and God in Paradise Lost. Satan is a sympathetic evil, but he's also the Great Deceiver, and all of his speeches need to be considered in that light; he's not being honest, he's just playing a role. This is why Shelley's wife Mary took such great inspiration for Frankenstein's Monster from Milton's Satan. The Monster even quotes from Paradise Lost, and apes the same thinking that Satan does about how he's fighting against an injustice. But, the Monster is a Monster and his nature outs, just as Satan is Satan. If you take the passage quoted as a rah-rah speech and, after reflection, still think it so, then you've not pondered the central themes of the work very well.

And, to forestall this line of challenge, I'm an agnostic and not invested in Christian theology. I am, however, a fan of this tremendous and seminal piece of literature that still inspires passionate debate. I take issue with it being so cavalierly characterized as a boring book by an incompetent author than accidentally made the greatest evil in his belief structure this awesome hero character and that everyone thinks this. That's a shallow reading of the material and a grand usurpation of its criticism.

pemerton

Legend

These are the lines Satan utters in Book One, on being cast down: that though they lost the field of battle, they have not lost all. That their will is unconquered, that they will strike back, that they have courage enough to never submit, never to yield. Seriously - "nothing heroic about Satan in the work?" He is the quintessential rebel fighting for a cause he knows he cannot win. By modern sensibilities, that has the ring of a hero which is what I said.

<snip>

Despite Milton's views, people regard a person fighting against overwhelming odds, against a self-appointed ruler and refusing to break
Doesn't this, at least in part, reflect a change in sensibilities - to put it crudely, from a "pre-modern" worldview to a modern, romantic-influenced world-view that prioritises will over virtue?

knasser

First Post
Doesn't this, at least in part, reflect a change in sensibilities - to put it crudely, from a "pre-modern" worldview to a modern, romantic-influenced world-view that prioritises will over virtue?

Yes it does. You're spot on. For a couple of reasons. Firstly we can no longer assume a genuine Christian belief in the reader, which Milton did. For Milton's original audience Satan was the bad guy, God and Jesus the good guys and supposedly there would be no notion that it could be otherwise. Therefore no matter the heroic qualities given to the character of Satan, it was not expected to change the role in the mind of the reader. Milton could, from his point of view, pile on any number of graces and positive attributes to the character of Satan and all it would do would be to make Satan a tragic character. The idea that it would actually make him a redeemed character is not something that Milton entertained. But with an audience stripped of fixed notions of good and evil, Satan begins to rise like a ping pong ball in a water jug as the character the audience empathises with and respects, in comparison to God and Jesus who mostly just pontificate on their virtues and Satan's foolishness. Relatedly, much of the criticism of Satan in the work comes directly from the mouths of God or Jesus or angels like Uriel and it probably never occurred to Milton that people would take the attitude that what God said could be just God's self-aggrandizing opinion rather than, well, the word of God! ;) So once someone starts taking the part of Satan and growing sick of tedious passages by Jesus of how much better his dad is than Satan, it becomes very easy for someone to start dismissing what they say as impartial and unfair. Secondly, and this is no less important but quicker to say because you've already nailed it yourself - yes, the modern sensibility to value Will over Virtue was somewhat alien to Milton. To him, submission to God was an obvious good. To us, defiance against imposed power, is heroic. So TL;DR: you're right. The view has shifted due to changes of sensibility which is what I was getting at earlier when I wrote: "By modern sensibilities, that has the ring of a hero".

But one thing worth emphasizing is that by "modern sensibilities" I don't mean "since the 90's" or anything. William Blake in 1790 wrote that Milton was "of the Devil's party and did not know it". Percy Bysshe Shelley, a little before his death, wrote effusively on the heroic qualities of Milton's Satan. Robert Burnes, (who was either one of the worst poets in history or one of the greatest comedians of his time ;) ) wrote of Milton's Satan: "“my favorite hero, Milton’s Satan,” and talked of his “dauntless magnanimity; the intrepid, unyielding independence; the desperate daring, and noble defiance of hardship, in that great Personage, Satan.” Milton was even credited as an inspiration amongst certain French Revolutionaries due to the heroic opposition of Satan against God. In summary, what I'm doing is violently agreeing with you and emphasizing to anyone who cares to read that what you say is not only true, but not only recently true. Milton's Satan as hero has a long pedigree and is the chief source of all Satan as Noble depictions shown since. Milton wrote through the mouthpiece of God or Jesus (I don't recall the passage) that Satan is that figure that aims at evil yet achieves only good. Which is high irony in that Milton aimed at glorying God and achieved the enoblement of the Devil.

knasser

First Post
Let me first say this: dismissing my arguments as "reel[ing] of a handful of opinions as statements," despite being nonsensical (statements can be opinions without changing that they are statements) whilst demanding that I adhere to your arbitrary standards of politeness isn't something that is well tailored to achieve your stated ends. Firstly, I'm rather immune to your demands on how I respond -- I will respond as I expect you will listen: however we want. Secondly, a bit of self awareness might go a long way towards assisting you in achieving your goals. Delivering a poorly veiled insult whilst insisting on civility might work with your friends, but it's unlikely to be a winning strategy in general. Or maybe it has been for you, hence why you use it? I suppose your mileage my vary.

There was no "veiled insult". I wrote that your initial post was "reeling off a handful of opinions as statements" because it was. It contained no argument, no reasons why I was wrong - just argument by assertion. You told me I should re-read Paradise Lost to correct my misunderstandings and stated that:
  • "there was nothing heroic about Milton's Satan". Statement of opinion without offered support.
  • "He's portrayed as tragic, but it's clearly a screen for his self obsessing and a justification for all of his evil." Statement of opinion without offered support.
  • "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein's monster is a clear callback to Milton's Satan." Yes, but something of a non-sequiteur. In so far as it does have significance, it supports my contention in that the creature alludes to Satan to elicit the reader's sympathy. Hardly something that would work if the reader did not regard Satan as a sympathetic character which is at odds with your view of "clearly a screen for self-obsessing and justification..."
  • "Milton gave us a great template for sympathetic evil, yes, but the key there is that it's still evil" Statement of opinion without offered support and regardless does not support a statement that "there is nothing heroic" about Satan which is your contention.

So again, I wrote that your post was a reeling off of opinions presented as fact because there is no argument contained therein. Just statements and a dismissive tone.

This is clearly false, as I have both read Paradise Lost and do not think this.

I'm happy to concede that "anybody who reads it" was a figure of speech. Substitute "Most who read it" for my lawyer-position, then if you prefer.

Your instructor, if he taught you this, was a fool, and I apologize to you for your poor education.

"She". And I do not think so.

William Blake nor Percy Blythe Shelley thought this, despite your claims that they did,

Blake wrote: "the reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when he wrote of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil’s party without knowing it.". I.e. Milton was unknowingly championing the Devil in his great work. Does that not make Satan the hero in Blake's opinion? You will not concede such, but still it moves.

Percy Shelly wrote the following: "Nothing can exceed the energy and magnificence of the character of Satan as expressed in Paradise Lost. It is a mistake to suppose that he could ever have been intended for the popular personification of evil. Milton’s Devil as a moral being is as far superior to his God, as one who perseveres in some purpose which he has conceived to be excellent in spite of adversity and torture is to one who in the cold security of undoubted triumph inflicts the most horrible revenge upon his enemy, not from any mistaken notion of inducing him to repent of a perseverance in enmity, but with the alleged design of exasperating him to deserve new torments". And you wish to claim that Shelly does not regard Satan as the hero of the piece? You wish to stick to your statement that "there is nothing heroic about Milton's Satan". Note, I do not say that you must agree with my views - such is the nature of literary criticism, but I say it is proven that your statements that Shelly, Blake and others do not share my views is wrong.

This means that Satan is more entertaining to read about, not that it is proper or expected to root for him (although you're welcome to).

I think any fair reading of my quote from Shelly above shows that you are incorrect to say that Shelly was merely saying Satan is more entertaining or doesn't think Satan should be rooted for.

And even this criticism is far from universal, as there's strong criticism against it and even for other interpretations (like that one that says that Milton intended Paradise Lost to be a criticism of the Church, or that the true meaning is that by seeing God as bad and Satan as good, we just reveal our fallen state). So, there's a huge chunk of academia that disagrees with you.

I'm fine with a huge chunk of Academia disagreeing with me. I do not consider my views definitive. What I do consider them is legitimate and supported by argument and shared by luminaries with outstanding credentials. Hell, one of Jefferson's contemporaries wrote a side by side comparison of the Declaration of Independence with Paradise Lost passages to show the similarity of ideas between them. There being an academic debate on the subject does not justify you making unsupported assertions that I am wrong, that my teacher was a fool or that I need to re-read it.

Milton's portrayal of God is hard to love for modern audiences, but not so much for the audience of his time. It wasn't until the Romantics (Blake and Shelley) that the line of criticism that says Satan is the better character between the two shows up, and the Romantics aren't exactly an example of paragons of virtue

I believe my earlier post actually stated that Satan was a hero when regarded with "modern sensibilities" so the above is really an attempt to cast my argument as something that it isn't. Secondly, I don't think the moral character of writers in the romantic movement (or to be precise your condemnation of their lifestyle or morals) is germaine to whether or not Satan is regarded as a hero. You appear to be trying to make the case that Satan appeared a hero to them because they were 'bad people' and therefore their take on the matter should be dismissed. In either case, their views have become the mainstream views and a character fighting against self-appointed authority is regarded as noble and courageous today. As, I think, it should be. And besides all that, my quote from Shelly above goes far beyond saying Satan is merely more entertaining. In essence, when you say something like "it wasn't until the Romantics that the line of criticism shows up..." you're trying to pull a move of older views being more authentic than newer views. That's meaningless and just an attempt to dismiss. And especially unfounded when what I wrote was "to modern sensibilities" as part of my argument.

he's not being honest, he's just playing a role.

So when Satan says "Is there no space for Repentence? None for Pardon left?" who is he playing that role to? Because he's alone in the void of the abyss at the time. In fact, frequently Satan is alone when speaking. And when God himself says that he created Satan to be evil and intended even before Satan was made that Satan should be cast down and suffer, how is that terrible inditement of God from the reader's perspective a result of Satan "not being honest"? Really the above is just another argument by assertion without reference to text of other support.

This is why Shelley's wife Mary took such great inspiration for Frankenstein's Monster from Milton's Satan. The Monster even quotes from Paradise Lost, and apes the same thinking that Satan does about how he's fighting against an injustice. But, the Monster is a Monster and his nature outs, just as Satan is Satan.

Frankenstein's monster is possibly the most sympathetic "monster" of all time! The echoes of Milton in Frankenstein are a creature created by 'god' as born evil. In any case, I don't see that discussing Frankenstein supports your contention that "there is nothing heroic about Milton's Satan."

If you take the passage quoted as a rah-rah speech and, after reflection, still think it so, then you've not pondered the central themes of the work very well.

The above is just returning to the patronizing opening post of yours, more on the same theme of asserting people who disagree with you haven't thought things through or are fools.

And, to forestall this line of challenge, I'm an agnostic and not invested in Christian theology.

There's nothing to forestall, I wasn't going to make any arguments based on the person posting. Unlike yourself.

I am, however, a fan of this tremendous and seminal piece of literature that still inspires passionate debate. I take issue with it being so cavalierly characterized as a boring book by an incompetent author

Not a view of the book I have espoused. There are interminable passages where God is going on about how good he and his number one son are, and I'll happily stand by that and invite bystanders who disagree to read the book and judge for themselves, but I've not called the book boring, I've not called Milton incompetent and nor would I do either. So please don't effect some moral high-ground when your first post and subsequent ones are dismissing people's opinions as just wrong or telling people they are fools because they don't share your own view.

than accidentally made the greatest evil in his belief structure this awesome hero character and that everyone thinks this. That's a shallow reading of the material and a grand usurpation of its criticism.

It is not and I believe that I have shown such. I consider this argument concluded as I've made my points to my own satisfaction, refuted multiple assertions of yours and don't like your tone.

Zander

Explorer
Jack Chick wasn't anti-D&D. When confronted some years ago by evidence showing that gaming was not in fact dangerous, he admitted that he continued to print Dark Dungeons for the publicity it generated, not because he genuinely believed that gaming posed a threat.

I suspect - but don't know for a fact - that his other tracts were written to generate an income, not because he really believed any of them. That may in itself be morally wrong, but we shouldn't be too fast to condemn him for views he promulgated but may not have held.

Max_Killjoy

First Post
Jack Chick wasn't anti-D&D. When confronted some years ago by evidence showing that gaming was not in fact dangerous, he admitted that he continued to print Dark Dungeons for the publicity it generated, not because he genuinely believed that gaming posed a threat. I suspect - but don't know for a fact - that his other tracts were written to generate an income, not because he really believed any of them. That may in itself be morally wrong, but we shouldn't be too fast to condemn him for views he promulgated but may not have held.
So the alternative is that instead of spewing toxic inaccuracies out of genuine passion and belief, he instead deliberately told damaging lies for profit and gain? This is supposed to soften our disdain for the man?

Remove ads

Remove ads