Jack Vance, 1916-2013

I love the tales of the dying earth. He made the key points that most people use when they think of wizards.

I love the tales of the dying earth. He made the key points that most people use when they think of wizards.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The man who gave us "Vancian Magic" has passed away. Author Jack Vance died on Sunday at the age of 96. Vance was one of Gary Gygax's greatest influences, and his works inspired the magic system seen throughout most editions of Dungeons & Dragons. Many industry veterans have posted comments on social networks about the sad news:

• "As many of you know, my late husband E Gary Gygax, adored Jack Vance. I am so sorry to hear of Mr. Vance's passing. My condolences to his family." - Gail Gygax
  • "RIP Jack Vance, probably the most adept writer of science fiction ever, and one of my major creative influences. Do yourself a favor and read a bit of his work soon in memory of this massively important and massively entertaining visionary." - Erik Mona, Paizo Publishing
  • "A giant has left the Earth. Rest in peace, Jack Vance. Memories and thoughts can be left at http://foreverness.jackvance.com" - Gygax Magazine
  • "Jack Vance was obviously important to D&D, and was also a huge influence on Numenera." - Monte Cook

101_0148.jpg

Attachments

• 101_0148.jpg
    101_0148.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 20,923

dd.stevenson

Super KY
There's nothing sad about making it to 96. Dude probably outlived most gamers by about a quarter of a century.

May he rest in peace. The world will be poorer without him.

Roland55

First Post
His was a long and very successful life.

I read every single thing I could find that had his name on it. And I was never disappointed.

He had skill, style, and enormous imagination. What a man!

Kinak

First Post
I'm glad I read the tales of Dying Earth and not just because of the insight into our hobby. He really made an interesting world, cutting through genres like a knife and making something cool outside and between them.

Rest in peace.

Remove ads

Remove ads