James Gunn Co-CEO of DCU Studios

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, pretty huge news. This just doesn't seem to be Marvel's year. DC still has a long way to go to compete with Marvel.
I’m really hoping that Gunn and Feige can get to the point that the two studios can actually collaborate on a big Marvel-DC crossover event

maybe X-Men and Teen Titans meet in their own pocket of the multiverse…

I’m actually more interested in what Gunns appointment means for Dwayne Johnsons and Dany Garcias vision of the DC Verse

and Marvel is doing fine especially with Wakanda Forever coming next week

Haplo781

Legend
I’m really hoping that Gunn and Feige can get to the point that the two studios can actually collaborate on a big Marvel-DC crossover event

maybe X-Men and Teen Titans meet in their own pocket of the multiverse…

I’m actually more interested in what Gunns appointment means for Dwayne Johnsons and Dany Garcias vision of the DC Verse

and Marvel is doing fine especially with Wakanda Forever coming next week
I could go for some Amalgam action. Bring on Dark Claw!

GreyLord

Legend
Well, unpopular opinion here...

I really disliked the last Suicide Squad.

Like REALLY disliked it.

If that's the tone for the new DCEU it will be worse than the Snyderverse even.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I wouldn't make assumptions there; Gunn has certain strengths in his own work that won't satisfy everyone (he's primarily a creator of horror or semi-comedic works), but note he was also an Executive Producer of both Infinity War and Endgame, which I think hardly landed heavily in those areas. So assuming his high level oversight will automatically land in the sort of areas he tends to write and direct himself is probably a categorical error.

Haplo781

Legend
I wouldn't make assumptions there; Gunn has certain strengths in his own work that won't satisfy everyone (he's primarily a creator of horror or semi-comedic works), but note he was also an Executive Producer of both Infinity War and Endgame, which I think hardly landed heavily in those areas. So assuming his high level oversight will automatically land in the sort of areas he tends to write and direct himself is probably a categorical error.
He got EP credit on those films because they heavily involved the Guardians of the Galaxy. His creative contributions were likely confined to them.

I will note that there's a big difference between being a director and an EP, and that Gunn's co-EP Peter Safran has worked on a huge variety of films over the past 25 years (Peter Safran - Wikipedia).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Possibly true. I'm just noting that operating at the level he's going to be at is very different than being a writer and director on films.

MGibster

Legend
For me, it's not really a DC versus Marvel situation here. But I gravitate towards the Marvel movies because most of them are better than the DC movies. Just like in the 1990s I preferred the DC animated shows beacuse they were better than most of the Marvel shows. (Batman: TAS was head and shoulders the superior to X-Men or Spider-Man.) I want to like the DC movies, I really do, and I hope Gunn can turn that around. I'd like to see a good Superman movie.

He got EP credit on those films because they heavily involved the Guardians of the Galaxy. His creative contributions were likely confined to them.

I will note that there's a big difference between being a director and an EP, and that Gunn's co-EP Peter Safran has worked on a huge variety of films over the past 25 years (Peter Safran - Wikipedia).

Executive Producers primarily do stuff like get financing for a movie, hire keep people like producers and set up a budget, dialog for a particular characters is not part of an Executive Producers job. Don't get me wrong, he likely had impute into those characters, but that isn't sort of micro managing isn't actually the job of an Executive Producer.

For me, it's not really a DC versus Marvel situation here. But I gravitate towards the Marvel movies because most of them are better than the DC movies. Just like in the 1990s I preferred the DC animated shows beacuse they were better than most of the Marvel shows. (Batman: TAS was head and shoulders the superior to X-Men or Spider-Man.) I want to like the DC movies, I really do, and I hope Gunn can turn that around. I'd like to see a good Superman movie.

Just watched Black Adam, it was a lot of fun. Best DC movie I've watched since Aquaman, better in some ways (for me, Atlantis itself is the star of movie).

But until lately I preferred Marvel movies because honestly not a big Superman, Flash, or Batman guy, so I wasn't really into DC, I loved my X-men mostly, which is Marvel, but learned love other Marvel characters.

But that actually began to change with Legends of Tomorrow, loved Legend of Tomorrow despite a few misteps.

Really liked Black Adam, more then I expected, great cast.

If James Gunn can take that and do something great, then Marvel should be worried.

Remove ads