Jannot the Tanner (final post)

AStott

First Post
Session 7: Settling In

<Kent> So... Back from the market>?
<Kheldar> market...
<Kent> Yeah, food, broom, clothes for Celeste...'
<Kheldar> Let's see, and you arranged for a locksmith to fix your door.
<Kent> Right. I was going to , but it got forgotten. If you allow, I'd say that that was on the list of things to do whiile out and about.
<Kheldar> Yeah, we'll assume that you got to that too.
<Kent> okay.
<Kent> So... putting groceries away?
<Kheldar> Celeste is pleasant company. It's a little odd (presumably) to have someone along and helping put things away, but nonetheless, it is kind of nice.
<Kent> Oh yes, it is odd.
<Kheldar> Anything of significance you plan on telling her during the day, or mostly just chit-chat?
<Kent> As we finish putting things away Jannot asks, "Celeste, you haven't mentioned anything else about last night. Did you want to report those men to the watch?"
<Kheldar> She kind of freezes when you bring up the subject, then kind of shakes her head.
<Kheldar> She seems a little scared.
<Kent> Putting down the radish Jannot sits and replies, "Listen, those men should pay for what they did... or tried to do. Don't you think?"
<Kent> He speaks softly as to try to not upset her too much..
<Kheldar> "It.. It's not that simple. Those guys have friends... They'll ..." She winces. "They'll find me."
<Kent> Jannot motions her to sit at the table next to him.
<Kheldar> She sits.
<Kent> "If they are in prison then they can't hurt you. Besides, since it took two of them to attack one harmless woman, I don't think that they would pose a serious threat. Unless there's something about them that you're not telling me."
<Kheldar> She looks down at her hands and fidgets for a bit.
<Kent> Jannot leans a little toward her and talks softly, "You know that I'm just trying to help you, don't you?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, I know, Jannot." She says in a rush.
<Kheldar> She hesitates. "It's just.."
<Kent> Jannot leans back away, "You know, we don't have to do that if you don't want. But, I do want to report them ... for breaking in to my shop."
<Kent> - missed that. should I ... rescind my previous comment? ok
<Kheldar> --nope, she let you finish talking.
<Kheldar> She gives a small sigh. "I think they're part of some... gang or something."
<Kent> Jannot nodds, "Well, in that case the guard would most-likely already know these men from description and be able to find them even easier. Do you think that if I called the guard that you could help me give their description?"
<Kheldar> She shakes her head and gets a somewhat frightened look on her face.
<Kent> grr...
<Kheldar> "I... I don't.... You haven't been here lately. I don't know if the guards would actually do anything..."
<Kent> Jannot pauses... "Do you think that the guard are compromised?"
<Kheldar> She shakes her head. "No, they... just seem not to care."
<Kent> "What would make you think that they wouldn't want to jail a criminal?"
<Kent> "Well, as my old friend used to say 'it's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled' so, do you really not want to report these guys? If they think that they can get away with crime then tey'll just keep doing it."
<Kent> Jannot feels like being insistent about this.
<Kheldar> She silently shakes her head. Then, "I'm afraid of them."
<Kent> "Okay then, you don't have to talk to the guard at all. I'll deal with them and not involve you in any way. Can you just help me with their description? I only saw them briefly."
<Kheldar> She takes a deep breath. "Jannot, maybe it would be best if you let it drop. They probably won't be back... Now that they know you live here again..."
<Kent> Jannot hangs his head. Resignedly he asks, "Is that really what you want? to let these guys go?"
<Kheldar> "Please, Jannot. It's not worth it."
<Kent> Jannot picks up the radish and standing back up he says, "Fine. I'll drop it. If it'll make you feel better." then after a pause, "Perhaps things here have changed more than I know." and puts the radish in with the other vegetables...
<Kheldar> She gives you a little smile.
<Kent> Jannot returns her smile and after finishing putting the groceries away, goes to make something up to eat for a belated lunch.
<Kheldar> Is there anything else in particular you plan to discuss, or just chit-chat?
<Kent> Yeah, but later. I was going to ask what her family did before... what she did for work... but it can wait.
<Kheldar> Ok, lunch is a little quiet at first, but soon she brightens up a little, and things begin to feel a little more cheerful.
<Kent> While eating, Jannot will ask another thing. "By the way, when I entered by into the caity, I was asked about my name, work, and so on. Do you know if the guard are looking for anyone in particular?
<Kheldar> "I'm not sure. They started doing it about a week ago. There are actually a number of places they have set up around the city. They just seem to be asking questions. I haven't really heard of anything happening though."
<Kent> Jannot finishes a bite and then continues. "A fellow in the line in front of me, I don't recall his name, was led away by the guards for further questioning. It seemed that they weren't interested in him until he told them that he worked in leathers. Know anything about that?"
<Kheldar> She stops eating. "That's odd. I wonder what that means... Perhaps they think he's connected with how the plague got started or something."
<Kent> After a pause, Jannot nodds and goes back to his food...
<Kent> Perhaps he shouldn't ask that sort of question so directly in the future - say, for instance, at the library or a church...
<Kheldar> :)
<Kent> Normal chitchat ensues until the meal ends and Jannot goes back to cleaning out the shop.
<Kheldar> She will, of course, help you with that. She seems to enjoy spending time talking with you. She asks about what you saw on your boat ride south, etc. Nothing real serious.
<Kent> While cleaning, Jannot thinks about the strange little arrangement he and Celeste have seemingly come upon...
<Kent> Jannot will, in passing, but curious, ask about her religious preferences...
<Kheldar> She explains that ...
<Kheldar> --GM thinking...
<Kent> - that's always good.
<Kheldar> She believes that Az is the creator of the world, and that he placed other creatures here (which others call gods) to provide something tangible for people to follow.
<Kent> Is this a common belief or is this something unique?
<Kheldar> It's not horribly uncommon.
<Kent> Jannot will mention to her that he really has no specific beliefs about the gods... holding back anything about his recent religious experience...
<Kent> What kind of progress are we making on the shop?
<Kheldar> Well, pretty good progress actually. The two of you together should have pretty much everything straightened out by late this afternoon.
<Kent> Did the locksmith every show up to repair the door lock?
<Kheldar> Oh... sure.
<Kent> :)
<Kheldar> The price comes out to... say... 2 bronze.
<Kent> - how much does he still have handy?
<Kheldar> You still have just over 3 gold.
<Kheldar> Right. ok.
<Kent> okay. Just trying to determine if Jannot would pay out of pocket or write up a scrip for it. Jannot pays the nice fellow out of pocket.
<Kent> Cash before service?
<Kheldar> :) Not necessarily.
<Kent> okay. How much of the equipment would need to be replaced in the shop (or rebuilt or repaired) before it would be workable?
<Kheldar> Well, quite a bit of it. You could probably start doing some things with what you have, but you couldn't deal with a very large quantity.
<Kent> Okay. Well, it's afternoon and Jannot is thinking that they will call it quits for the day and take the opportunity to return his borrowed book to his colleague.
<Kent> To Celeste, "I have this book that I'm going to return to a friend. I should return in... two bells?"
<Kheldar> Ok. Celeste hesitantly asks if you mind if she comes along.
<Kent> "Sure. I suppose you can come along, although, it'll just be a walk there and a walk back."
<Kheldar> "I don't mind."
<Kent> Well, Jannot actually did want to do this by himself, it's strange to be NOT alone, but he doesn't seem to really mind.
<Kheldar> You've noticed that she seems to be a little nervous about being alone.
<Kent> Yeah. Right-o
<Kent> So, gathering the book , making sure to remove anything he may have stuck in between the pages, Jannot locks up the place and heads over to ... GAH I can't find the guy's name.
<Kheldar> Lyle.
<Kent> Yup. just found it.
<Kent> He heads over to Lyle's.
<Kheldar> I need to put together a page that's just a catalog of names and places...
<Kent> Heh - cross-referencing your game-logs?
<Kheldar> Ok, you and Celeste head over to Lyle's place. As you turn the corner near his house/shop. You realize that an entire row of houses has been burnt to the ground. His is one of them.
<Kent> Wow. Jannot pauses. Was Lyle's home and shop connected like Jannots? Right.
<Kheldar> It was a two story thing, with the house above.
<Kheldar> "Is that where he lived?"
<Kent> "Well, I suppose he won't mind if I hold on to it after all. Is there a place that people have been going if they have been displaced? " Jannot points out the particular pile of rubble and cinders.
<Kheldar> "Not that I know about... I would have gone there if I'd heard anything."
<Kent> Janot nodds, "Of course, foolish question." And on a hunch are there any other leather working ahops in the area?
<Kheldar> --interesting thought...
<Kheldar> You could get to one without too much of a side trip.
<Kent> "Lets take a little stroll while we're out tonight." and Jannot offers his arm to Celeste. :)
<Kheldar> "Ok... Was he a close friend of yours, Jannot?"
<Kent> "Not really. We traded stock a little. Talked occaisionally... I suppose we were friends."
<Kheldar> "Oh... I'm sorry for you, Jannot."
<Kheldar> You reach the place where this other shop is located...
<Kheldar> Err... Is supposed to be located. It's been half burned, then the front half collapsed.
<Kent> "Thanks," he says. and continues walking. Jannot cringes a little but continues walking.
<Kheldar> Celeste doesn't appear to notice, but continues talking lightly with you.
<Kent> Are there any other tanners or tanneries or leather workers nearby that Jannot would know of?
<Kheldar> Yes, there's one more relatively near. There are plenty of others, of course, but not nearby.
<Kent> Okay. Jannot tries to incorporate a walk past this other shop into a return path to the house.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kheldar> You reach the place, but it's definitely not open for business. The door hangs open, the windows are broken. There's no one inside that you can see.
<Kheldar> You have passed a few patrols today. You've noticed that they are larger than they used to be, and you don't quite get the same friendly feeling you used to get when passing by.
<Kent> Okay... Jannot has the corner on the market... Back to the abode.
<Kent> Hm... well, that could just be because of the ... attack from the elves...
<Kheldar> riiight...
<Kent> Riiiight..
<Kheldar> The two of you return to the shop and home.
<Kent> As we get to the house, Jannot takles the opportunity to look closer at the area surrounding the shop. how any out of how many of his neighbors are still there?
<Kheldar> Well, it seems like at least half the buildings have damage of some kind. There are sections that are worse and some that are better. You specific neighborhood has relatively light damage.
<Kent> Neighbor people?
<Kheldar> You do see some people that you recognize. They give you a nod of recognition, but don't stop to chat.
<Kent> Okay. Good. Good. Allright. He feels a little better at that.
<Kent> Well, is it evening?
<Kheldar> It's starting to get pretty close, yes.
<Kent> Well, Jannot prepares a supper and picks out a decent book to relax into for the evening while trying to decide if he wants to do any more research regarding the prophecy on the morrow.
<Kheldar> You read for a little. Celeste kind of putters about, straightening things. Finally she kind of sighs a bit and asks, "Would you read to me?"
<Kent> Wow, Jannot looks at her. "You'd like me to read to you? about the dwarven histories?"
<Kheldar> She nods. "I never learned to read..."
<Kent> Ah... Jannot smiles. "Sure. I, um, I'd like that." and he... in the living room area... motions her to sit in a nearby chair. "Maybe I can show you how to read..." he says.
<Kheldar> She sits gracefully.
<Kheldar> "I'd like that..."
<Kent> He's read this book half-a-dozen times already so he turns back to the front of the book. As he does he thinks to himself, 'Teach her to read? That would take time... Time... strange, never thought about spending this kind of time with someone before.' and he begins reading, happily.
<Kheldar> She is an attentive listener.
<Kheldar> Ok, now I have a question for you.
<Kent> great. okay...
<Kheldar> What's your general plan for the next couple days? I ask, because I don't neccessarily have any specific events for you for a bit, but want to make sure you have the chance to take care of business.. I'd rather summarize the passage of time if possible.
<Kent> - that's fine. in the morning, Jannot is planning to get some estimates on essential equipment repairs and then see if there are any pelts or furs to be purchased. If that goes well, he MIGHT consider going to the sage fellow and ask about the events of the last two weeks.
<Kheldar> Not a problem, after all, the point of this is to roleplay, just don't want to spend overly much time on things that we both consider... minor.
<Kent> Um... we can make it brief.
<Kent> Sure, but I think that the burdgeoning relationship with Celeste is developing quite nicely and that tkaes a little attention to detail.
<Kheldar> :) True, although these things tend to happen over... weeks rather than hours or days...
<Kheldar> :) I'm presuming that Jannot is finding himself to be... somewhat...
<Kheldar> ...smitten?
<Kent> ... sometimes. :) interested in her future... He's very un-accustomed to the attention that she gives him and I'm afraid, is very likely to become smitten rather easily. Sort of like a single person and a puppy... perhaps not quite so.
<Kheldar> Ok, then in light of that, let me summarize a couple things, then I'll give you the chance to initiate some things.
<Kent> We'll see.
<Kheldar> First of all, she is very attentive to you. She seems interested in... yeesh! Everything you do! (This is obviously from your point of view...) :)
<Kent> Uh huh.
<Kheldar> She never brings up the subject of what happened that one night, or the week before that.
<Kheldar> She never brings up the issue about what lies in the future.
<Kheldar> She seems content to live here and now.
<Kheldar> She does tell you some about her family. She apparently lived with her parents and two brothers. Her father was a cobbler. Her mother made a little extra money baking.
<Kheldar> It isn't long before she volunteers to bake for the two of you.
<Kent> Wow, that'd be... nice. Sure. Well, the place doesn't have to have everything it did before.
<Kheldar> Repairs on the shop will be... expensive, let's see... We're talking on the order of... probably more than just one or two gold in order to get everything back into top shape. You should be able to kind of ramp some things up thought, particularly since it's only you, ... no Thom...
<Kent> Yeah... Just a few tools, repair a few work tables. By some more chemicals and salts...the problem is the skin inventory.I'm sure that everything from before was either stolen or rotten by now.
<Kheldar> Yes, most of which is... ruined.
<Kheldar> Oh, do you mind getting Celeste some other things to wear? She's extremely hesitant to ask...
<Kent> Ah, well, um... Jannot will say how helpful she's been around the house and shop and that she'll probably need to have some more clothes...
<Kheldar> She does go off one afternoon by herself. She comes home maybe two bells later. She's rather subdued for the rest of the evening.
<Kent> Did she leave unannounced?
<Kheldar> She told you she was going out, but that she didn't want company.
<Kheldar> She did bring back a couple of minor things. A candlestick, a couple cups, the like. Mostly odds and ends.
<Kheldar> By the next day, she seems to have recovered her normal ... light personality.
<Kent> Ah. Back to the old homestead for some memoirs. Okay.
<Kheldar> Let's see... hmm... that's pretty much it for the critical things on her end.
<Kent> So, just as a specificity, Jannot the third day back, will have gone to the docks area to check on skins and pelts - without Celeste.
<Kheldar> Right... and your boat too?
<Kent> Exactly. That he'll just chance putting up on the shore.
<Kheldar> Ok. It looks like a couple other people have started doing the same. It's nowhere near as crowded as it used to be.
<Kent> good.
<Kent> well, better, a closer boulder then...
<Kheldar> Any topics of discussion that you want to initiate that are worth hitting at this point?
<Kent> One other topic of discussion that Jannot would bring up is the elves, He'll ask if she saw any elves, or know anyone that does, the night that they supposedly 'attacked'.
<Kheldar> She shakes her head. "I just heard rumours about the elves."
<Kent> Um... Jannot in the next couple of days tries to show Celeste the alphabet.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kent> He really likes that ...
<Kheldar> Oh yes, one other thing. One evening, she come up to you holding a slightly nasty looking piece of hide. "What's this?"
<Kent> yes... Oh crap.
<Kheldar> Sure enough, it has the symbol on it.
<Kent> [laughter ensues.]
<Kent> Jannot smiles and takes it from her. "It's just a strange piece of hide I found... before all this mess started happening."
<Kheldar> "Oh, ok."
<Kent> He goes to throw it out, but then shows her the symbol on it. "Have you ever seen this before?"
<Kheldar> "It doesn't look familiar. That's why I brought it to you rather than throwing it out..."
<Kent> Jannot pauses, 'Huh, she's going through my things now... strange...' Oh. Sure. <Kheldar> --As you'll recall, I think you left it in the shop, she probably found it while cleaning.
<Kheldar> Although, I must also say that she has been doing a little cleaning around the house. Not that you were messy before, but she does manage to keep it tidy.
Okay. Jannot looks at the hide one last time. Anything interesting about it other than the mark?
<Kheldar> Nothing that catches your eye.
<Kent> Well, he has a drawing of it, so he tosses it out onto the trash heap in the alley.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kent> ... and washes his hands...
<Kheldar> So, how does 1 gold sound for repairs/replacements at this point?
<Kent> for... what, most/some/all/little of the shop?
<Kheldar> For some. Enough to allow you to do reasonable business again.
<Kent> Sure. repairs - replaced tools. Are you including skins?
<Kheldar> Nope. You'll need some customers for that.
<Kent> K. That's the next thing on his list. scout out the other leather workers and see about getting some inventory.
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kheldar> --thinking...
<Kent> He'll probably have to go to the bank and get some money out soon...
<Kheldar> --hang on, looking some stuff up.
<Kent> k
<Kent> I believe that you told me once that I had a TIDY SUM in the bank.
<Kheldar> It looks like with Celeste around you'll end up spending about 5 silver a month on food/etc.
<Kheldar> Err... bank, yes... um..
<Kheldar> About that...
<Kent> Ah. Oh no. you can't take that out.
<Kheldar> No, don't worry. It's just more that ... I considered your starting money to be your disposable income... hmm...
<Kent> well
<Kheldar> You know, banks probably don't give you interest for storing your money there anyway. They probably charge you. That might explain why you had 3+ gold around the house.
<Kent> So? He was only away for 2 weeks
<Kheldar> What I'm saying is that you probably don't have additional savings in the bank. Of course, loans are possible, and the draft notes you have may give you some leverage.
<Kent> Oh. Hm. I didn't realize that it was that way. I thought that the disposable income I had was just that...
<Kheldar> Sorry that wasn't detailed more clearly. My fault. "Forgot the walls..." :(
<Kent> grr... he he... Hm.
<Kheldar> Just a bit over 2 gold. That's still pretty hefty.
<Kent> So, how much does he have left after the few days pass... some more food, some clothes for Celeste... 1 G of repairs...
<Kent> okay. Perhaps gold goes a bit farther than I had imagined.
<Kheldar> Gold goes *very* far.
<Kent> Allright
<Kent> and life costs 5 silver a month?
<Kheldar> Yes, at your average standard of living.
<Kheldar> yes.
<Kent> ... for two people? you used that comfortable wealth thing to come up with that, huh...
<Kheldar> Actually, it has more to do with your status rather than your wealth. You actually could have had a higher standard of living, but chose not to.
<Kent> allright. I suppose I will have to live with that, but you're not saying that a month has passed are you?
<Kheldar> oh no, not at all. Just giving you the ability to think ahead as needed.
<Kent> good. okay then.
<Kheldar> Now, I'm going to think a bit and consider how much time has passed... unless you have anything else of note to bring up...
<Kent> Well, we need to get the thing settled where Jannot scopes out the other leather workers.
<Kent> and skin suppliers.
<Kheldar> Ok, yes, wait on that just a moment...
<Kent> And then He'll want to contact any old customers that he might have not finished their work orders...
<Kheldar> --thinking...
<Kent> yeah?
<Kheldar> So... Scoping out the other leather workers...
<Kheldar> hmmm...
<Kent> Yeah, walk around, try to determine if EVERY leather worker that was in place before he left is gone.
<Kent> ... before diving back into the leather trade.
<Kheldar> ... sorry for the delay, trying to figure something out...

<Kent> You know, if we need to stop soon just let me know.
<Kheldar> I wouldn't mind. See, I couldn't plan a lot last week because I didn't have much of a feel for where you were headed...
<Kent> Well, Jannot is wanting to get back into business since he's back into his home, so... there you are.
<Kheldar> Yes, now that I know that...
<Kheldar> --GM's evil chuckle
<Kent> ... plus there's the library...
<Kent> ... and the sage
<Kheldar> -- I'm just trying to figure out how to keep you alive... }:>
<Kent> Right... I thought it was your job to kill off all oncomers...
<Kheldar> That would be way to easy.
<Kent> :) likely so... 'You notice a shadow encompass you on the ground...'
<Kheldar> bah... beginner's stuff. How about, "You die."
<Kent> Oh yeah, there you go. 'You feeel a pain in the left arm and have difficulty breathing...'
<Kheldar> heh

<Kheldar> Ok, so do you plan on checking out the competition first, or hitting the library?
<Kent> Oh, no. The library and the sage can wait. Business comes first ... unless you already have the library and the sage figured out...
<Kheldar> yeah right. Ok, time to check some businesses.
<Kent> Right.
<Kheldar> Are you inviting Celeste along?
<Kheldar> Ok, it's probably been... hmm.. a couple days.
<Kent> Nah. Since she asked about baking for the two of us, was she suggesting that she bake goods for sale to help make some money?
<Kheldar> Not really, just offering to cook for the two of you.
<Kent> Oh. Um. well, Jannot would rather check out this work-related stuff on his own today... as long as she doesn't make a big deal out of it.
<Kheldar> No problem. She's settled down a little. There hasn't been trouble of any kind, so...
<Kent> So... this is the 4th day or the third?
<Kheldar> Sure, something like that. It shouldn't really matter.
<Kent> 4th.
<Kent> okay.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kent> Down closer to the shore/docks should be a number of places.
<Kheldar> As you move along to various spots, asking directions and such...
<Kent> Wait, directions? These are likely places Jannot has been past or even perhaps visited in the past.
<Kheldar> Well, you probably wouldn't know ...
<Kheldar> well...
<Kheldar> [dice rolling]
<Kheldar> Ok, sure. No directions.
<Kent> :D
<Kheldar> Oh yeah. There is still a checkpoint you'll have to pass through...
<Kent> Hm. really?
<Kheldar> Yes. As you have the chance to move around the city a bit more, you find that these check points are put up here and there, mostly near the gates and down near the shore, but also others here and there.
<Kent> okay. well, do they ask anything about people as they leave?
<Kheldar> Oh yes, the questions are pretty much the same as you were asked before...
<Kheldar> Still in town visiting your relatives?
<Kent> ... and the answers will be the same as well... Well, the family is gone (that's true) and am rebuilding the family place (also true).
<Kheldar> Ok, good enough. The questioning seems pretty much a formality. People are used to it by now.
<Kent> cool... the lying about the name gets easier - after all your friends become a part of you right?
<Kheldar> :) Sure.
<Kent> :) Heh.
<Kheldar> Ok, so as you move from one tannery to a leather shop, to a trading post for furs, you begin to spot a slightly disturbing trend.
<Kent> Are none of the previous owners in place?
<Kheldar> Well.. all of the places are deserted. Some even seem to be in normal condition, but not open for business, and no sign of life.
<Kent> Oh. Hm. That's interesting. Jannot will continue looking... for anywhere that sells or buys leather.
<Kent> along the docks up through the market.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kent> Someone has to provide the population with leather goods. Saddles have to be mended, boots have to be repaired, armor needs to be replaced...
<Kheldar> You would certainly assume that to be the case.
<Kheldar> You are preparing to move your search more towards the markets, when you hit one last tannery down by the docks. It wasn't officially licensed... ahem
<Kent> Ah. I see. Did Jannot ever do business with these folks before?
<Kheldar> Nope, and you've never met the owner either.
<Kent> Was the place always there?
<Kheldar> Uh... in what sense?
<Kent> Did Jannot know of the place at all before hand?
<Kheldar> Oh, yes. You'd heard of it.
<Kheldar> It'd never been much of a concern as it supposedly doesn't pull in a lot of business.
<Kent> As Jannot stands a little ways away from the place, do they appear to be doing a decent amount of business?
<Kheldar> Half second.
<Kheldar> The place is located off the main road a bit. Not a very pleasant area, but there isn't the same kind of feel as that first day back in town. There are some people around.
<Kheldar> The first thing you notice when you reach the place is a guy out front strapping down some boxes to a hand-cart.
<Kent> Okay. I assume that the boxes aren't labelled or open for easy view...
<Kheldar> Nope. Actually, there are a couple odds and ends. If you had to guess, you say it looks like the guy is moving or something.
<Kent> Jannot will move up to the fellow. "Doing much business these days?" with a sarcastic half-smile.
<Kheldar> He gives you a side-long glance. "I don't know what you're talking about."
<Kent> Since He's moved closer can he see inside the shop?
<Kheldar> Sure, you can see in a window. There doesn't appear to be any activity inside.
<Kent> ... or merchandise?
<Kheldar> Right, none of that apparent either.
<Kent> To the fellow, "So, where does a guy have to go to buy a pair of good work gloves now-a-days?"
<Kheldar> "You've got me... I have no idea." He gives a tug at one of the ropes.
<Kheldar> "I'm just in town visiting my relatives. They used to live here."
<Kent> Jannot steps closer a little, "Used to live here? Did they used to run this shop?"
<Kheldar> "I guess so."
<Kent> "Well, what happened to them, do you know?"
<Kheldar> You happen to notice that his hands are a little stained, such as you might pick up yourself while working.
<Kheldar> "Well, I think they died or something. They weren't here when I got here."
<Kent> ... as in, right-o.Is the guy on the close side of the cart, on the ground?
<Kheldar> Yes. It's only a hand-cart, so it's not that big.
<Kent> Jannot will step up close to the fellow and say quietly, "WHy are you leaving? Did someone threaten you?"
<Kheldar> There's a pause. He gives you a little... look. "Naw, I'm just headed back home. I figure since they aren't here anymore I'll take their stuff back with me."
<Kent> Jannot shakes his head, "Come on, what happened to all the other, " he looks around to check to see if anyone is near that could hear.
<Kheldar> He kind of looks you up and down for a bit.
<Kheldar> There doesn't seem to be anyone paying attention to you.
<Kent> are there any other people near that could overhear? ..."tanners and skin traders?"
<Kheldar> He pauses. "Do you do business here?" He says quietly.
<Kent> "To be honest, no, but I was going to. But from what I'm seeing, that might not be smart."
<Kheldar> He thinks a moment, then shrugs and goes back to his cart. "I've heard it's pretty straightforward if you get a license."
<Kent> [you're tough.]
<Kheldar> --You almost had him, but lost him by saying just exactly the wrong thing... :)
<Kent> [What? how? That's not fair. Now I'll have to beat it out of him...
<Kent> ...not.]
<Kent> ... Damn. Obviously Jannot's not going to get anything from this fellow so he goes on his way.
<Kheldar> Ok.
<Kheldar> That's pretty much it for the docks areas. You can start checking over near the markets now.
<Kent> If that's the only other area that would have leather workers.
<Kheldar> Well, there are probably dozens and dozens of shops in a city this size... You should be able to hit most of them.
<Kent> How about this. Market place first and try to find SOMEONE that's selling SOMETHING made of leather.
<Kent> ... he'd frustrated... [I'm frustrated...]
<Kheldar> Right. You do actually manage to find a place near the markets fairly quickly. The odd thing is that it's a new place you didn't recognize. It's apparently a place that purchases hides from trappers.
<Kent> thief...
<Kent> Wait a sec. I have a question. When that guy asked if I did business here, was he asking if I ran a leather business or if I'd done business with him before?
<Kheldar> Well, he probably wasnt asking if you'd done business with him.
<Kent> okay. No misunderstanding then.
<Kent> Continue.
<Kheldar> Right. They buy hides, and likely resell them to leather workers.
<Kheldar> They look open, and you can tell from the smell that they're doing business.
<Kent> Hm.
<Kent> Jannot will approach the place.
<Kheldar> ...and head in?
<Kent> Oh, Yeah. sure.
<Kheldar> You are greeted by (apparently) an apprentice. "Can I help you sir?"
<Kent> "Yeah, I'd like to know what all you folks sell."
<Kheldar> "Well, sir. We sell cured hides to leather workers. We usually deal in bulk."
<Kent> "Jannot looks around at the place. Is it new or are the owners just new?
<Kent> "Can I look at some of your hides?"
<Kheldar> Actually, the place looks new. It looks like it's still in the process of getting set up. They mostly likely purchased the building and are making some modifications.
<Kheldar> "Certainly sir. Can I ask your interest?" He begins showing you over to some drying racks.
<Kent> "I'll let you know if I like your products." Jannot says with a smile.
<Kheldar> They apparently don't have any hides finished at this point, which would make sense if they've just started up. He points out a couple of nicer furs, and some good stout leather.
<Kheldar> The quality looks... fair.
<Kent> Jannot looks over the hides fairly thoroughly, are there any distinctive traits?
<Kheldar> hmm... not particularly.
<Kent> "Who do you generally purchase your supply from?"
<Kheldar> "We have several trappers who make regular stops here."
<Kent> "I'm new to this area... what happened to all the other closed leather shops I saw along the way?"
<Kheldar> "I'm not sure, sir. I'm just an apprentice. From what I've heard, they just added a bunch of new licensing... things. So probably they haven't been able to.."
<Kent> "Oh, allright. I see. So, where is your employer from?"
<Kheldar> "He just moved up here from Ilan. I think he got some kind of subsidy from the king here."
<Kent> Ah. I see.
<Kent> "Okay, well, your product looks pretty good. Maybe I'll stop by when you have some finished products."
<Kheldar> "Thank you sir. We look forward to your business."
<Kent> Jannot moves away from the shop.
<Kent> So, there are some new business rules... and costs I imagine.
<Kheldar> Apparently.
<Kent> Perhaps the day wiould have been better spent at the library or the sage instead.
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> Is there an office of commerce? Board of trade?
<Kheldar> A royal license office I suppose.
<Kent> okay, and I imagine that there is a yearly application for business license that Jannot would have paid.. or something?
<Kheldar> :) Probably.
<Kent> Would this be where he would have gotten the 'signet ring' by which he does business transactions?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> And he probably doesn't have his with him, eh?
<Kheldar> Well... I don't know. Does he usually carry it around? I'm thinking probably not.
<Kent> Probably not. Not unless he knew he was going to be doing business.
<Kent> Okay, he's been in the office a few times before, what's it like?
<Kheldar> Um... It's ... in what sense?
<Kent> well, is it the kind of place that a person can enter freely and ask for information without having to sign something or pay something?
<Kheldar> Ah, I see. hmm... That depends on the information, but probably you could get something without charge. It's not the library. They're funded by the crown, through business taxes.
<Kent> Right. So the office is there to service the businesses. So to speak.
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> okay. Jannot will go there.
<Kent> He needs to find out what these new regulations are that seem to have chased off all the other leather working businesses.

<Kheldar> This session was a little different than others. You were kind of in between things...
<Kent> What do you mean? in a LULL of sorts with the rest of the world?
<Kheldar> Well, yes. Of sorts. See, some of the things that are ahead are kind of dependant on what you do, so I had to gather more of that kind of info...
<Kent> So, I get the feeling that you're waiting for me to step into a trap...
<Kheldar> No, not really. Just waiting to find out what your next move is so that I know what you'll run into next. Now that I know, I have to do some planning to figure out what that entails.
<Kent> Well, you know what his motivations are... though he'll have to figure out if business is still viable.
<Kent> Celeste... What an odd thing.
<Kheldar> Oh?
<Kent> well, if he has to take off eventually... decisions lurk about. And, what exactly is going on really? I mean, they live together... they don't know much about each other... I dunno, it's strange.
<Kheldar> :) Yeah...
<Kent> Perhaps if she warms his ... nevermind.
<Kheldar> you'd better say heart.
<Kent> laughing. Jannot has never had a relationship of that sort before, you know. Oh, there was another thing I was going to ask. There has never been mention about Celeste's approximate age.
<Kheldar> Oh yeah. She actually (as far as you can tell without having asked) near your age.

Next time... Answering Questions

Serpenteye

First Post
I'm reading, actually I've never read anything quite like it on these boards. It's good, and original, you have got a nice dialog going.

AStott

First Post
I'm reading, actually I've never read anything quite like it on these boards. It's good, and original, you have got a nice dialog going.
Oh yay! You've made me very happy. :D

It is very different, both from other campaigns on this board, and from anything I've ever played or DM'd. That is part of why I hesitate for a while about posting...

Serpenteye

First Post
AStott said:

Oh yay! You've made me very happy. :D

It is very different, both from other campaigns on this board, and from anything I've ever played or DM'd. That is part of why I hesitate for a while about posting...

Different is good.

AStott

First Post
Session 8: Answering Questions

<Kheldar> Jannot had just finished visiting a licensed tannery recently set up (apparently since the plague/elvish attack).
<Kent> Yeah.
<Kent> ... wonder what precipitated this new 'liscensing requirement' that is apparentl;y ... costly...
<Kheldar> You've been to the Royal License Office before a few times, so you know the way. It's located near the center of the city.
<Kent> I'd imagine.
<Kheldar> You are stopped once by another "blockade" as you make your way in closer. I presume that you're sticking with your story?
<Kent> Sheesh. You know, no. If the guard looks like one of the guards he's had to deal with in the last few days, then yeah, but otherwise he'll tell the truth.
<Kheldar> Nope, the guard is not familiar.
<Kent> If he's going to be doing business, he's not going to be able to continue using a false name.
<Kheldar> Right, ok then...
<Kheldar> When you reach the guard, he looks you over. "Name please?"
<Kent> Jannot makes a pleasane smile and states his name, "Tera Flynn"
<Kheldar> The guard is off to the side, scribbling answers as before.
<Kheldar> "And, you live where?"
<Kent> Jannot describes where his house is located.
<Kheldar> The man nods in some apparent recognition.
<Kheldar> "Occupation?"
<Kent> "Well, Actually I'm out of business right now. Just trying to rebuild. On my way to the Licensing office actually."
<Kheldar> "Ah, like many I've seen. You're rebuilding an old business?"
<Kent> "Just a shop."
<Kent> Jannot tries to remain calm ... after all, he is telling the truth.
<Kheldar> The guard rubs his chin. "Ah, what kind of shop would that be?" He seems fairly pleasant about this whole thing.
<Kent> "Well, it used to be a tannery... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see."
<Kheldar> [GM thinks for a moment..]
<Kent> {to GM]
<Kent> Was it actually a tannery? or was it just a leather working shop?
<Kheldar> [Yes, a tannery.]
<Kent> okay.
<Kheldar> You notice the guard stand up a little straighter. "This was your business, uh... before the... err elves attacked?"
<Kent> [heh...]
<Kent> "Yes. I had a partner, but he died of the plague that went around."
<Kent> [deep breath]
<Kent> [so, do you get to pull out your fun stuff now?]
<Kheldar> [heh... well... just heh.]
<Kheldar> The man's face turns grim as he draws his sword. The couple guards behind him follow suit.
<Kent> Jannot asks, "Is there a problem?"
<Kheldar> "I'm afraid you'll have to come in and answer a few more question, sir."
<Kheldar> He gestures to his men and a pair move forward.
<Kent> Jannot tries to remain calm. "Sure. Not a problem. Happy to oblige."
<Kent> ... heart pounding in chest...
<Kheldar> The two guards move forward and (having sheathed their swords) take your arms firmly. "Please, come with us." Says one.
<Kent> Jannot complies with absolutely no struggle whatsoever.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kent> If the walk is long, Jannot might actually ask a couple questions.
<Kheldar> You are led off in the direction of the citadel at the heart of the city. Feel free to ask a question or two.
<Kent> "You know I haven't had the chance to ask, but what exactly did the elves want? I mean, why in the world did they attack?"
<Kheldar> "We aren't supposed to answer your questions... " one says, sounding somewhat regretful.
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "Sure. That's fine. It just seems so strange... that's all."
<Kheldar> You draw a few strange looks from passerbys, but you soon reach the gate into the citadel.
<Kheldar> After a brief, quiet discussion with the guards posted there, you are led inside.
<Kent> [good thing Jannot doesn't keep that piece of hide around.]
<Kheldar> [True..]
<Kent> [one less thing to explain]
<Kheldar> You've never been in the citadel, or even talked with anyone who has.
<Kent> I imagine not.
<Kent> Heraldry...
<Kheldar> You find it somewhat interesting. Most of what you see at first i...
<Kheldar> You win. You have talked to some people who've been there.
<Kheldar> As they've told you, the place is rather lavishly decorated... at least at first.
<Kent> Yeah, the populated, well, lit areas...
<Kheldar> You are led down a flight or two of stairs, and things become... a little more grim.
<Kheldar> You notice that many of the guards actually inside the citadel wear a slightly different uniform than those you've seen outside.
<Kent> Recognise the ... patterns?
<Kheldar> Rather than just having a black sleeve, the uniform is predominantly black. The primary pattern is a... thin red circle.
<Kent> Oh. Great.
<Kheldar> It doesn't look familiar.
<Kent> That's not creating a ood feeling.
<Kent> good...
<Kheldar> You've heard rumours that the old king died during the plague. If you had to guess, presumably this is the insignia of whoever is now ruling the city.
<Kent> And how exactly does rulership generally pass?
<Kheldar> Well, it's normally according to the will of the king. If he doesn't appoint someone, it would be his oldest son. If he has none... well, then things can get a little tricky. It's been a while since that situation has arisen though.
<Kent> and did the old King have a son? ... and Jannot never saw the royal family on Parade... or whatnot?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kheldar> I would say that you probably have seen such a thing... before the plague of course.
<Kent> ... So the prince of the old King would be recognizable?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> okay.
<Kheldar> You are led down some more stairs into an area which certainly appears to be a prison of some kind.
<Kent> Jannot asks, "Am I in trouble?"
<Kheldar> "No questions," comes the reply.
<Kent> "Have I done something wrong?"
<Kent> ... Jannot restrains himself.
<Kheldar> You are halted in a large room rimmed with cells. There is a table there, and a couple guards.
<Kheldar> You are patted down, and things you are carrying are removed and taken away.
<Kheldar> This would be (apparently, based off past notes, correct me if I'm wrong)...
<Kheldar> 2b 3c 4t, business seal for shop (in form of a ring), keys to home and shop, knife.
<Kent> ... like... Oh... I was carrying that, huh?
<Kheldar> You would have carried it fairly often I'd presume. Am I wrong? Particularly if you were interested in reapplying for a license?
<Kent> Um... the keys to the house, I may not have had, since Celeste is still back there.
<Kheldar> Ah... your call.
<Kent> No keys.
<Kent> What would I do, lock her in.out?
<Kheldar> True, true. Very well, no house keys.
<Kent> the rest seems fine.
<Kent> "I'm going to need that stuff back..."
<Kheldar> "It'll be returned to you at the appropriate time."
<Kent> Suppose there's nothing to say to that...
<Kheldar> Your boots are also taken.
<Kent> "Hey, that seems uncalled for."
<Kent> ... but no resistance.
<Kheldar> Your only answer is to be shoved into a cell. The door is quickly locked behind you.
<Kent> "Hey! What did I do wrong?"
<Kheldar> The guards ignore you, and after chatting briefly, the two who brought you here leave.
<Kheldar> [Question for you, my notes say that you had a little over 2 gold in your boots. I presume you stashed this back at the house...]
<Kent> Oh. that was my spare boots... and only while travelling.
<Kheldar> [got it]
<Kent> I'm sure there's some little box or something that Jannot stashes his $$.
<Kheldar> Yes, presumably.
<Kent> Are there other prisoners here?
<Kent> Jannot looks them over.
<Kent> He's dressed fairly decent by the way.
<Kheldar> Yes, actually almost all of the other cells you can see are occupied. Most people in them were standing watching when you came in, but most of them ignored you after your door was shut.
<Kent> Does he recognise any of them?
<Kheldar> Most of them seem... well, lower class.
<Kent> ... well, the cell is locked, right? rattle, rattle.
<Kheldar> Certainly.
<Kheldar> You do recognize one of them. It was one of your neighbors. He's still looking at you from across the room.
<Kent> Really? Jannot looks back and calls to him, "Hey, what's going on?"
<Kheldar> "No talking!" One of the guards calls out.
<Kent> Oh. I thought that there werent any other guards.
<Kheldar> There were two guards in the room when you were brought in. Those two stayed when the two who brought you left.
<Kent> Ah. So, what exactly does the room look like?
<Kheldar> The "neighbor" gives a small little wave over to you. He appears quite unhappy. You've never known him to do anything wrong.
<Kheldar> The room is rectangular, perhaps a half dozen paces wide and two or three times that long.
<Kheldar> Three sides of the room (except for one end where the entrace is) are lined with cells.
<Kheldar> Your cell is perhaps... 2 paces (6 feet) wide and long. There is a ledge along one side with a blanket folded up on it. There is a... nasty smelling hole in the back corner.
<Kent> not a good sign.
<Kent> Ahem... not an indelicate way of describing it I'm sure.
<Kheldar> [GM: Well, you've certainly gone and put your foot right in it now, haven't you...]
<Kent> Well, Jannot doesn't think that he's done anything wrong... and ... well. He's not exactly high up on the streetwise totem pole.
<Kent> Just hope that guards don't go to the shop and give Celeste trouble. Good thing he never told her about the 'religious expoerience' he had.
<Kheldar> [Ah yes, thanks for the reminder... :) ]
<Kent> There are notes. :)
<Kheldar> Let's see...
<Kheldar> You spend a few... exceedingly boring hours.
<Kent> well, is the floor, absolutely nasty? Right. Sure. How about the blanket?
<Kheldar> Well... it's ... eh... I'm sure as a tanner you've seen worse floors. It's not too bad.
<Kheldar> The blanket is actually reasonably clean.
<Kent> Good. He'll use it as a seat cushion...
<Kent> He'll try to observe the guards that are on duty. Does he recognize the design of their different uniforms?
<Kheldar> Do you happen to remember the time of day?
<Kheldar> I'm thinking that you'd spent a big chunk of the day looking for tanning/leatherworking shops. I'll call it after lunch.
<Kheldar> So, you spend a number of boring hours, during which the guards are changed once. At last, a large pot is wheeled into the room and bowls of soup are ladled out for everyone.
<Kheldar> It's explained to you that the (wooden) bowls and spoons will be collected when you are done.
<Kent> Joy. I'm sure that it's twice as tasty as the elven porridge ...
<Kheldar> heh... right. Something like that.
<Kent> Um, in this society are there laws against unlawful imprisonment?
<Kheldar> No. Well... at least not unless you have some influential friends...
<Kent> err... hm. okay.
<Kheldar> [GM thinks for a bit...]
<Kheldar> Ok, after dinner, you are again bored out of your skull... Apparently you've been forgotten...
<Kent> Ah ha. I see. Prodding Jannot into a beating eh? Allright. I'll bite.
<Kheldar> :) Nope, not really.
<Kheldar> Just letting you know the situation.
<Kent> "Hey, Am I going to get questioned or something?" - after the meals have been handed out...
<Kheldar> One of the guards, (remember, this is a different pair than from when you came in) says to you, "I really wouldn't know." He seems kind of bored and wanders over your way, staying a good distance away from the bars.
<Kent> Hm. Jannot will stay an arms reach AWAY from the front of his cell.
<Kheldar> "What'd they bring you in for?"
<Kent> "The fellows that brought me in seemed to imply that someone wanted to ask me questions... they didn't say anything about ... imprisonment."
<Kent> "I really don't know. I used to be a tanner, but that's up in the air now..."
<Kent> "I haven't done anything wrong..."
<Kheldar> He pauses... "Oh.... uh... well... I guess something should... uh... happen sometime." He kind of scuttles back to the table where the other guard is waiting and starts whispering to him.
<Kent> Great... So there's definitely a problem in this city now for leather workers... Gee. That wasn't obvious before.
<Kheldar> [You noticed...]
<Kent> why couldn't I have said I was a wagon maker or something...,
<Kheldar> [Hey, I figured that Jannot had enough clues...]
<Kent> Well, still though, Jannot is an honest working guy ... hasn't broken any laws... and figures that he should have been fine.
<Kent> Even if something funny was happening to Tanners...
<Kent> Let's cut to the chase shall we?
<Kheldar> Errr... right.
<Kheldar> You are left alone through the night. The next morning (presumably, since you are served a breakfast of sorts), at last something different happens.
<Kent> Oh Fantastic.
<Kent> I'm sure that Jannot will have to reliece himself in the privacy of his stinky corner...
<Kheldar> Yes, true.
<Kent> Joy.
<Kent> After the food is served, He'll ask again, "Am I going to be questioned sometime soon so I can be released? Or What? Do people get thrown down here to rot just because they work hard and pay their taxes?"
<Kheldar> You are ignored.
<Kheldar> At last, the door opens and in come six guards wearing the black uniform.
<Kent> Wow... six?
<Kheldar> :) Yup.
<Kent> Ahem. you never told me if Jannot recognized anything from the black uniforms.
<Kent> Heraldry...
<Kheldar> Yes, there wasn't anything in particular you recognized about the uniforms, which says something in and of itself. You would most likely have recognized the symbol of any of those that were likely to take the throne.
<Kent> okay. Right. a new disruptive power in the region.
<Kent> ... makes the old kings death of the plague somewhat questionable.
<Kheldar> There is a brief discussion with one of the jail guards, and some papers of written on.
<Kheldar> One of the jail guards comes and unlocks your door (accompanied by the six new guards).
<Kheldar> You are beckoned out of the cell.
<Kent> Jannot stands and says, "Well, it's about time."
<Kent> Jannot walks out after putting his blanket down.
<Kheldar> One of the new guards produces a length of cord which is tied around your wrists (behind you).
<Kent> Oh yay!
<Kheldar> You are then marched out of the room.
<Kent> Jannot doesn't do anything. Hope the stairs don't go deeper.
<Kheldar> No, you are actually kept on the same level. You are led into a... well, you can easily guess from some of the books you've read that this is a torture room...
<Kent> torture room...
<Kent> Oh great. At this point I have to really roleplay.
<Kheldar> Yes, if it helps you, recall that he has a will score of 12.
<Kent> Jannot is displaying obvious signs of fear. No, that's fine. What would he hide? He'll answer whatever he's asked.
<Kheldar> True, true.... maybe.
<Kheldar> Your bounds are temporarily loosed, and you are tied down on a big old slab of rock in the center of the room.
<Kent> "...should have kept the blanket... " he chuckles nervously.
<Kheldar> No one else chuckles or smiles.
<Kent> If you're going to kill him, just let me know.
<Kheldar> A man comes and leans over you. He is a thin man with a cruel look on his face. He's wearing a stained leather apron.
<Kent> Ah.
<Kent> okay. Jannot gets very worried... but ... what is there to do?
<Kheldar> "Now then, I'm told your name is... Tera Flynn? Is that right?"
<Kent> Jannot looks at the fellow. "Yes. Tera Jannot Flynn.
<Kheldar> "And you are... or were rather, before the attack, a tanner. Correct?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds eagerly. "Yes. I had a partner Thom, but he died of the plague."
<Kheldar> "It's nice to see you being so cooperative. I'm sure this will be much more pleasant... for you... if you continue to be so."
<Kent> Jannot stammers out, "Well, I haven't done anything wrong. I'm happy to answer your questions."
<Kheldar> "How nice." He considers for a bit.
<Kent> Jannot might even pee on himself, but we'll have to wait and see.
<Kheldar> "Tell me... Tera. Are you a man of letters?"
<Kent> "Can I read? Sure. I was schooled as a boy."
<Kheldar> "And are you a religious man?"
<Kent> "Well, not particularly."
<Kheldar> "You wouldn't lie about this to me, would you?" You feel a sudden pain in the palm of your hand...
<Kent> "No, certainly not. I've paid homage to Qaran a few times and spoke to an odd priest at one point or another."
<Kent> ... okay. describe. would Jannot not be able to see anything that this unpleasant fellow was doing?
<Kheldar> Not so much that you can't see, but wasn't looking for it. You look down at the pain and find that he has stuck a needle of some kind in your palm.
<Kent> Oh. Really?
<Kent> Great. so he's drugging Jannot up, eh? I guess I wasn't clear on what technology was being used. They have syringes? and injectible durgs?
<Kheldar> No, I'm talking like... a big sewing needle type thing.
<Kent> Ah... just for unpleasantness. I see.
<Kheldar> Yes, exactly.
<Kent> Jannot will likely yelp at the discomfort.
<Kheldar> "Qaran, eh? Hmmm..."
<Kheldar> "This... Thom... How did you come to know him?"
<Kent> Jannot swallows to calm himself. "He's been my father figure since my parents and sister died 25 yuears ago. Before that, him and my father ran the old tannery."
<Kheldar> "Ah, 25 years ago. That would be the plague then?" He reaches down and picks up a rather nasty looking pronged instrument.
<Kent> Jannot nodds quickly.
<Kent> wonderful.
<Kent> did you roll damage for that needle? :)
<Kheldar> [snort]
<Kent> :p
<Kheldar> "Your arm... what happened to it?" He prods the rather nasty bruise you have.
<Kent> ... ow...
<Kent> "The bruise? When I entered my home a fwe nights ago there were two men in the shop. I chased them off but not before one of them hit me with his club."
<Kheldar> "I see..."
<Kheldar> "Are you married?"
<Kent> Huh, I didn't even mean to leave out Celeste on purpose. that was accidental. :)
<Kheldar> [probably a good thing though]
<Kent> "I am single, never married."
<Kheldar> "Girl friends?"
<Kent> "Relationship wise, no. No serious relationships since ... I was 17."
<Kheldar> "And, any children? Adopted or otherwise?"
<Kent> "No, no children."
<Kheldar> "This... Thom. He is... or was.. married?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "Yes, he had a wife and 3 children... but they are all dead too."
<Kent> ... some sadness enters Jannots voice when he says it.
<Kheldar> He asks you for the locations of other tanners and leather workers that you know of.
<Kent> Jannot complies. And tries to think of any and all leather workers... including the fellow that was packing up the previous day.
<Kheldar> :) Right.
<Kheldar> What about the tannery shop you visited yesterday? The new one.
<Kent> Yeah, sure. That one too.
<Kent> Though Jannot doesn't know who runs it.
<Kheldar> There aren't a lot of other different questions, although he begins to repeat questions a lot.
<Kheldar> In particular, he spends a lot of time on your family and Thom's family.
<Kent> sure. Well, they're all dead, so, Jannot tells him.
<Kheldar> In fact, despite the fact your answer are so consistent, the questions begin to become... painful.
<Kheldar> He seems to want to verify what you've said.
<Kent> Yeah. Sure. Of course. Well, that's the nice thing about the truth. It doesn';t change much.
<Kent> ... pain... discomfort... days of recouperation ahead... [what's going on inside of Jannots head]
<Kheldar> At last, having blacked out twice... bleeding and bruised... you are untied from the block, and "escorted" (ok, dragged) back to your cell.
<Kent> Man, that's SO un-necessary.
<Kent> to the guards. "So, can I leave soon, them?"
<Kheldar> The guards escorting you? or the ones at the cells?
<Kent> escorting...
<Kheldar> They do not respond in any way.
<Kent> okay... the ones in the room. after the excorts leave.
<Kheldar> They seem a little distressed, and pointedly look away from you.
<Kent> Fantastic.
<Kheldar> The guards are different from when you were taken to be questioned.
<Kent> Jannot makes a point of looking over to the neighbor.
<Kheldar> He watches your way with a sympathetic expression on his face.
<Kent> Jannot shrugs a confused look to say 'I don't know what's going on.'
<Kheldar> Dinner comes (you apparently missed lunch).
<Kent> How unfortunate.
<Kheldar> You spend an unpleasant night curled up on the bed, limbs and head aching.
<Kent> Perhaps at this oint Jannot might consider trying to pray a little... quietly... to Qaran. For mercy... for excape... for the safety of Celeste.
<Kheldar> [interesting... GM thinks...]
<Kent> Well. there's nothing to read. :)
<Kent> Remember, quietly.
<Kent> [What, you didn't think of that?]
<Kheldar> [I never planned for you to get captured by the guard.]
<Kent> Hm. well, those stinking roleplayers are never reliable.
<Kheldar> After your prayer, you suddenly feel a stinging throughout your body, as if you'd dipped your wounds in the (salty) sea. Then, after a moment, your pain drifts away.
<Kent> Ah! Huh! How fascinating!
<Kheldar> Suddenly, there is a rumbling, and the room shakes just slightly. Everyone gets to their feet, looking around nervously.
<Kent> ... including Jannot.
<Kent> ... Jannot moves to the cell door and rattles it.
<Kheldar> The pain comes back somewhat, but it's not quite as bad as it was before.
<Kent> ... um the cell door?
<Kheldar> It's still locked.
<Kheldar> After a bit of nothing else happening, people return to their silent contemplations. The guards return to chatting quietly.
<Kent> hm.
<Kent> Jannot settles back down into his blanket and wonders...
<Kheldar> The night passes.
<Kent> Oh... yuo sneaky son of a gun...
<Kheldar> [oh?]
<Kent> You didn't give Jannot and magical abilities while I wasn't looking did you?
<Kheldar> [GM smirks]
<Kent> Well, before drifting off to sleep, [he he he] Jannot Will pray again - boy haven't prayed this much since being in school as a boy - to Qaran to thank him for the healing of sorts and to ask for Celeste's safety.
<Kent> ... and then sleep

<Kheldar> Right... I like that as a stopping point. Sucks about the short session though... :)
<Kent> GAH!!!
<Kheldar> lol
<Kent> Hm... :) What an interesting turn of events...
<Kheldar> You're telling me...
<Kheldar> I told you that some wierd things could happen, depending on what you did. You certainly did it.
<Kent> Yeah, that you did. Now I'm just left wondering what would have happened if He'd just maintained the lie and went to the Licensing office... and the the library... and then the sage...
<Kheldar> :) Guess we'll never know...
<Kent> that bites, eh?
<Kent> ... I guess that that's up to you.
<Kheldar> Poor Celeste... you disappear...
<Kent> She's got the keys to the place... she might be able to find where Jannot hid his money... She knows that Jannot the only person that knows that she's there.
<Kent> Why not hang out like she owns the place... or... err... godness. I think I'll stop talking now.
<Kheldar> heh...

Next time... What Happened on the Way to the Executioner

AStott

First Post
Session 9: What Happened on the Way to the Executioner

<Kheldar> As I recall, Jannot had just fallen asleep after a long... question answering session.
<Kent> I wonder if he had any interesting dreams...
<Kheldar> You wake the next morning feeling extremely stiff and sore, but not feeling too bad compared to what you might have expected after yesterday.
<Kent> Huh... right.
<Kent> I imagine he wakes in response to... gruel of some sort ?
<Kheldar> Something like that. Breakfast is... well breakfast I suppose.
<Kheldar> The morning passes slowly and quietly.
<Kent> okay... well, are the guards in the romm now any that Jannot saw the previous day?
<Kheldar> Nope, as a matter of fact, you haven't seen this pair before.
<Kent> Hm.
<Kent> well, Jannot waits. He gets yelled at when he talks,...
<Kheldar> Yes, true.
<Kheldar> It is beginning to get near what you figure is lunch time, when the door opens and six guards enter, dressed (like last time) in primarily black uniforms.
<Kent> yay. Jannot will likely slink back away from the door of his cell.
<Kheldar> They certainly seem to have come for you.
<Kent> well, they COULD have come for someone else.
<Kheldar> After a brief discussion again with the jail guard, you are again pulled from your cell and securely bound.
<Kent> Oh ... yay!
<Kheldar> They take you from the room, but this time you are ac...
<Kent> During the short passage to the questioning area, Jannot will mutter a quick plea to Qaran for help and mercy...
<Kheldar> Interestingly enough, this time you are led up some stairs.
<Kheldar> Then up some more stairs.
<Kent> wow... don't want to be too optimistic right off the bat...
<Kheldar> Then up some more. You are definitely above the ground floor...
<Kent> Oh great... probably going to give him some flying lessons or something...
<Kheldar> You are eventually brought to a closed door guarded by another pair of black garbed guards.
<Kheldar> Some salutes pass back and forth, during which you notice a ... distinct... lavish expense to your surroundings.
<Kent> Hm. Anything with symbols or sigils on it? Perhaps anything he may have read about... poo.
<Kheldar> None that you spot.
<Kheldar> The door is opened and you are led inside.
<Kheldar> The room is... rather amazingly furnished and decorated. Brilliant tapestries hang from the walls. Expensive looking vases are filled with flowers you don't recognize.
<Kent> Jannot doesn't bother to hide any expression of surprise.
<Kheldar> The room is of a fairly large size. Standing at intervals are perhaps another half dozen guards in black.
<Kent> Wow. Exactly how large is this room?
<Kheldar> Down at the far end of the room there is a slighly raised area (just up one step).
<Kheldar> The room is perhaps... 40 feet wide and... maybe 60 feet long.
<Kent> Hm. Big, but not Huge.
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> height?
<Kheldar> Oh, only a little higher than a normal ceiling.
<Kent> k
<Kheldar> On the raised area there is a pair of cushioned chairs and a small table. Sitting at one of the chairs is a man looking right at you.
<Kheldar> He is tall, and somewhat on the thin side. His hair is straight and very dark.
<Kent> Hm. Are the chairs next to each other or facing each other?
<Kheldar> The chairs are across the small round table from each other, but the one in which the man sits is turned to face you.
<Kheldar> He wears predominately black with highlights of a dusty purple.
<Kheldar> You do not recognize him from any of the royal parades you have seen.
<Kheldar> He wears a relatively simple circlet from which dangles a pair of ruby four pointed stars, one at each temple. (Like silver dollar sized)
<Kent> Gotchya.
<Kheldar> Your guards bring you to within 15 feet of the raised area and stop, keeping a firm grip on you.
<Kent> Strange. Does it look like the crown of the previous crown?.k
<Kheldar> No, not at all.
<Kheldar> Although, you do notice that on the table lies a slightly more formal crown which might be the royal crown. At least the royal symbols are there.
<Kent> hm... k
<Kheldar> The man gazes at you for a moment, then says in a slow, lazy voice, "He certainly doesn't seem like much, does he?"
<Kheldar> No one answers, in fact, he doesn't seem to expect an answer.
<Kent> Jannot responds. clears his throat, "Well, I am just a tanner."
<Kheldar> He gives you a somewhat ruthless grin. "That you are."
<Kent> Jannot just carefully watches him... duh.
<Kheldar> The man slowly gets to his feet, still looking at you.
<Kheldar> Then he closes his eyes, raises his arms and tips his face towards the ceiling.
<Kheldar> "Kyten!" he bellows. "I call on thee!"
<Kheldar> He waits for a moment.
<Kheldar> You sense an uncomfortable shift in the guards about you.
<Kent> Ah. I see. Jannot is a bit disturbed on the off chance that something dramatic may happen so mutters another quick prayer for protection to Qaran.
<Kheldar> As you do, there is a faint rumbling in the floor.
<Kheldar> Immediately, the man in front of you resumes speaking. "Do we kill this man, lord? This one that opposes you?"
<Kheldar> It occurs to you suddenly, upon hearing the name Kyten, that you recognize the 4 pointed star symbol...
<Kheldar> You've read about a Kyten. Supposedly one of the new gods. Destroyed or imprisoned or just ignored (depending on who you listen to), over two hundred years ago.
<Kent> uh huh...
<Kheldar> He was... well, not a pleasant god. He desired power and conquest. He had control in the domains of earth and fire and blood.
<Kent> hm. Interesting. Oh you're talking about magical 'domains' right? okay.
<Kheldar> More things that they are interested in and have some control over.
<Kheldar> Qaran's domains are the city of Zuqar.
<Kheldar> He also has control over the sea.
<Kheldar> A domain is an affinity of sorts.
<Kent> Um... Right. OKay. So it would seem like Kyten would have more power tha Qaran on the surface.
<Kheldar> Perhaps. Domains are not neccessarily attached to power levels.
<Kheldar> A god who is really powerful in the... flower domain... :) well, ok, I suppose some domains are better than others.
<Kent> Well, okay. We'll be sure to pay close attention to the arm wrestling contest. :)
<Kheldar> After having spoken, the man in front of you is silent, arms still raised, eyes still closed.
<Kent> Jannots apprehension metes away as time passes.
<Kheldar> Suddenly, an incredibly low, rumbling voice is heard throughout the room.
<Kheldar> "This one is... favored. He may be important."
<Kheldar> Then... "Kill him."
<Kent> GAH! oh great...
<Kheldar> The room goes (very) quiet.
<Kheldar> The man's eyes snap open and his arms drop to his side. He gazes at you.
<Kent> Is Jannot still bound and all?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kheldar> Just arms tied behind you.
<Kheldar> And a guard on each arm.
<Kent> Right, nothing to shield himself with... except for the handy guard. :)
<Kheldar> True. :)
<Kent> well, does he just LOOK Jannot to death?
<Kheldar> "Favored, are you? How has this come to pass? I am told you are not a religious man..."
<Kent> Does it look like he wants an answer?
<Kheldar> It appears so, judging from the growing impatience.
<Kent> Jannot just shrugs nd shakes his head.
<Kent> [ha ha ha... piss off the crazy guy why don't ya!]
<Kheldar> He scowls. Then after a moment, returns to his chair.
<Kheldar> "Prepare a place where we can isolate him from his... 'favor', and then we will kill him. Return him to his cell for now."
<Kheldar> "Yes sir," Says one of the guards next to you.
<Kent> Jannot speaks, "Wait. Favor. What does that mean?"
<Kent> -to the wierdo on the chair
<Kheldar> He looks at you contemptuously and gestures the guards away. You are turned and propelled in the direction of the door.
<Kent> Before exiting the room Jannot will call out to him again "Did you kill the rightful king?"
<Kheldar> You don't hear a response, and you are unable to catch a glimpse back in his direction.
<Kent> Hm... k
<Kheldar> You are taken back down to your ... now familiar... cell and thrown in. Your six escorts leave.
<Kent> Is the former neighbor still in the opposite cell?
<Kheldar> Yes. No one has come for anyone else in the room. Just for you... [how special you must feel.]
<Kent> Jannot gives him a wry half-grin.
<Kheldar> He mouths something to you. Something like "... you ok?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds and tries to mouth - went to see king - bad guy
<Kheldar> He seems slightly confused, but waves it off, apparently satisfied that you haven't been tortured again.
<Kent> well, Jannot gives up easily enough and awaits... what is sure to be a unique form of confinement.
<Kheldar> You wait... through lunch...
<Kheldar> ... and dinner.
<Kheldar> Apparently, whatever preparations are being made take some doing.
<Kent> Jannot has now been given confirmation that somehow he has been made the focus of a very bad guy being led by a not so friendly deity...
<Kheldar> [awww... they're just misunderstood...]
<Kent> his amusement at being left alive wears off quickly and he begins to think about how inthe world he's supposed to be 'favored' and what he's supposed to do about it.
<Kheldar> any trains of thought you'd like to share with the rest of us?
<Kent> well, he thinks that maybe Qaran by preventing him from speaking to that priest was actually being protected by Qaran... as well as his rather fortunate luck at not contracting the disease/plague twice now...
<Kent> Jannot is coming to the rather strange belief that he has been actively protected somehow by Qaran for some reason... perhaps to oppose the psycho following the awful Kyten.
<Kent> Before meals he'll do something that he hasn't done since his mother told him to as a child - ask Qaran to bless his food. :)
<Kheldar> No strange rumblings in the floor this time... :)
<Kent> - just in the stomach, right? :)
<Kheldar> Right. The food certainly needs the blessing.
<Kent> that's all, before sleeping he'll spend some quality time trying to seek his own guidance from Qaran. I mean after all, if he's going to be killed, exhaust all options.
<Kheldar> Right. You gain no insights.
<Kheldar> You are (presumably) having problems getting to sleep. You are therefore already awake when a pair of guards comes into the room. It shouldn't be time yet for the guard to change.
<Kent> Awww... no sleep for the weary?
<Kheldar> There is a brief discussion. You catch something about "transfer", and there seems to be a slight discussion.
<Kheldar> Presently, the two visiting guards, and one of the room guards approach your cell.
<Kheldar> Your door is unlocked by the room guard, who says, "Go ahead and take him. You shouldn't have much trouble with *him*."
<Kent> Hm. okay then.
<Kheldar> The two guards step forward and take your arms, guiding you out of your cell.
<Kent> well, Jannot isn't going to give then a good reason to beat the snot out of him.
<Kheldar> Of course not.
<Kheldar> You are escorted from the room and down some stairs.
<Kent> Oh... great... down.
<Kheldar> At one point, as you are making your way through a hall, the guard on your left momentarily releases your arm.
<Kent> Jannot is NOT suicidal... Though I feel him becoming something of a smart alec. He looks over to the guard that let go and says, "What? was it something I said?"
<Kheldar> :) Oh, so he is suicidal...
<Kheldar> You get about as far as, "What..." when you see him yanking his sword from his sheath, and bring it down in a blow... aimed at the other guard's head.
<Kent> ...urp... OOH! KEWL!
<Kheldar> :D
<Kent> Jannot doesn't peep.
<Kheldar> Apparently having hit with the flat, the other guard goes down in a heap on the floor.
<Kent> Jannot looks at the fellow... in mild shock.
<Kheldar> He sheathes his sword and says quickly, "I'm Tomar. You're Jannot. There, now we're introduced. Give me a hand with this."
<Kheldar> He bends down and takes one arm of the knocked out guard.
<Kent> Jannot nodds and grabs the fallen soldier on the other side.
<Kheldar> Under Tomar's guidance, the two of you drag the guard into a dusty storage room of some sort that lies nearby.
<Kheldar> After propping the body up against a sealed barrel of some kind, Tomar gestures to the man's sword. "You want that?"
<Kent> Jannot grabs it... "Well, I just might need it."
<Kheldar> [plus it can't be that much harder to use than a broom handle, right? :) ]
<Kent> Sure... how much did I sink into that skill? :) 1/2 point?
<Kheldar> "Ok, we'd better get moving."
<Kent> okay to Tomar, "Thank you. Why are you doing this?"
<Kheldar> "He gives you a toothy grin. "It's worth my while."
<Kheldar> He gestures for you to leave the room ahead of him.
<Kent> Hm... Jannot's sure that the fellow has ulterior motives, but he can't worry about that now. "Anything I should know?" Jannot asks leaving as the fellow gestures.
<Kheldar> He takes one more look around the room, then follows you, shutting the door behind him.
<Kheldar> Then, in a quieter voice, "Just follow me and stay quiet. If we're noticed, we're both dead."
<Kent> "Then I probably shouldn't be carrying a sword, don't you think? Kind of noticeable isn't it?"
<Kheldar> He shrugs, having already moved off down the hallway. "The trick is not to get noticed. You might need it, later."
<Kent> Jannot follows, has he sheathed his sword or is he holding it ready?
<Kheldar> Well, I suppose you took the sword and sheath together. But, considering that you don't have a sword belt, either you drop the sheath, or keep it sheathed, or occupy both hands.
<Kent> I was just going to ask. what about the belt that the guard was wearing?
<Kheldar> Actually... [thinks] I suppose it's just as easy to have gotten the belt too. Strap it on.
<Kent> Especially since the belt prolly was 'though' the sheath in some fashion.
<Kheldar> Yes, certainly.
<Kent> k
<Kent> belt, sheath and sword... in hand.
<Kheldar> Too bad about you not having shoes or boots... or sandals...
<Kent> err... no time.
<Kent> ... Jannot thinks of his spare boots back at the house...
<Kheldar> So, he leads you down some more stairs. The atmosphere is becoming quite moist, and somewhat chill.
<Kent> Ahh... water. fantastic.
<Kheldar> He leads you at last into a room with a kind of rotten fish kind of smell. There is a door against the far wall that is chained shut.
<Kheldar> He fishes out a ring of keys and inserts one into the lock on the chain.
<Kheldar> He pulls the door open and looks through.
<Kheldar> It's quick dark inside, the only light seems to come from the torches out in the hallway.
<Kent> Jannot eagerly looks through as well. "Should I grab a torch?"
<Kheldar> "Yes, we'll need it."
<Kent> "For how long will we need it?"
<Kheldar> "Not long enough for it to go out. Quickly now!"
<Kent> Jannot goes and grabs the nearest torch off the wall.
<Kheldar> When you come back in the room, He gestures you forward and says quietly to you, "We'll follow the ledge there for a ways, then we'll need to swim for a bit. Can you swim?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds.
<Kheldar> "Good. Let's go." He gestures for you to hand him the torch.
<Kent> Jannot motions for him to lead.
<Kent> Jannot hands it over.
<Kheldar> He takes it and steps in. As you follow, he motions for you to shut the door behind you.
<Kent> Jannot pulls the door tight.
<Kheldar> You find yourself in... a waterway of sorts. There are 3 or 4 foot ledges on each side of a central area containing water... of unknown depth.
<Kheldar> He looks around, then leads the way.
<Kent> while following Jannot feels like he should thank Qaran for providing him a way to freedom.
<Kheldar> You follow him for a bit. He follows various branches with no apparent logic.
<Kheldar> At last you reach an apparent end to the walk way. The water continues on through a large grate, beyond which there are no walkways.
<Kheldar> He gestures for you to come close.
<Kent> Jannot approaches.
<Kheldar> Quietly, "There should be a couple broken bars down there." He gestures into the water. "We'll have to go through there. Then we'll need to swim a ways. We'll reach another grating, which should also have some broken bars. Beyond that is the sea."
<Kheldar> "You should probably buckle that sword on."
<Kheldar> There is (of course) a loop to keep the blade secure.
<Kent> Ah. Jannot sheathes the sword and makes sure that it's snug in it's sheath. Right-o. loop in place.
<Kheldar> Tomar takes a few deep breathes, then says "follow me." He plunges into the water.
<Kent> ... Jannot follows suit - a few quick deep breaths and he jumps in.
<Kheldar> Without any light, of course you can't see, but you follow the grate down into the water about 6 feet or so.
<Kent> Is the water particularly cold or the normal summer water temperature?
<Kheldar> No, it's fairly normal temperature.
<Kent> k
<Kheldar> Sure enough, you find an opening in the bars which you slide through. You kick for the surface, and realize a couple things.
<Kheldar> First of all, there is only a foot or two of headroom above the water, and two, there is a slight current which is picking up speed.
<Kent> out or in?
<Kheldar> The way you want to go. Out presumably.
<Kent> okay, that makes the swimming go easier.
<Kheldar> Quite true. You do hear some splashes echoing back from up ahead. Presumably this is Tomar.
<Kent> too dark to see?
<Kheldar> There's no light at all.
<Kent> on forward.
<Kheldar> It's quite awkward swimming with a sword strapped on, but you manage all right.
<Kheldar> Suddenly you hear, "carefull, here's the grate" from up ahead.
<Kent> I imagine he would. Jannot tries to slow his approach while aware that he doesn't want to whack himself on a broken bar.
<Kheldar> You realize that quite a bit of current has picked up, but when you suddenly hit some metal bars, you don't feel much more than some residual pain from your previously wounded arm.
<Kent> Nice.
<Kheldar> Out of the darkness, a hand flails at you briefly before settling on your shoulder.
<Kheldar> From beside you comes, "You ok then?"
<Kent> "Everything is good so far."
<Kheldar> "Ok, we're going to go through here, then we'll be swimming underwater for a bit. You'll want a couple big breaths before we go. Swim forward about a slow 10 count, then kick for the surface.
<Kent> "How far is the under water part?"
<Kent> "Okay. No problem."
<Kheldar> Be careful coming up. There could be rock up there. If so, you'll need to go a little further. There should be some light at that point. We'll come up on the shore outside the wall.
<Kent> "I'll swim with my eyes open then... easy enough."
<Kheldar> "Ok, I'll go first. Follow me after a 5 count."
<Kheldar> You hear a couple deep breaths beside you, then some splashing as he submerges.
<Kent> "Go on. I'll be right behind you."
<Kent> 1
<Kent> 2
<Kent> 3
<Kent> 4
<Kent> 5
<Kent> quick breaths... long breath and go... swimming for 12 seconds or so.
<Kheldar> You pull yourself down the grating, and perhaps 10 feet down you find the opening in the grate.
<Kheldar> You pull through it and quickly move along.
<Kheldar> After a bit, you do notice some light from ahead and above.
<Kent> a foot or two past the first light and Jannot surfaces at a reasonable speed.
<Kheldar> You kick for the surface, and find that you are coming up out of some kind of under water cave. The surface of the water is still a bit above you. You kick for the surface, and arrive somewhat out of breath. You seem to be about 50 feet from shore.
<Kheldar> A few hundred yards away, the walls of the city loom up in the dark. There is only a thin sliver of a moon.
<Kent> Is my benefactor visible?
<Kheldar> You spot a shape moving through the water towards the shore. You don't hear any splashing. He is apparently attempting to be quiet.
<Kent> Jannot will swim toward shore at a slow pace trying to be quiet.
<Kheldar> You reach the shore, and Tomar helps you out of the water.
<Kheldar> He whispers quietly to you as you move up the shore. "We'll need to get out of sight of the walls. Then I'll leave you where you're supposed to be. After that, you're on your own."
<Kent> "But who wants me saved? Why did you help me?"
<Kheldar> He quietly pats at his side where he might keep a purse. "Some gal..." He shrugs and gestures you to come with him.
<Kent> Surprise registers opn Jannots face... and he follows the fellow quickly while imagining Celeste hiring some ne'er-do-well to rescue him...
<Kheldar> [curious, any suprise on Kent's face?]
<Kent> Yeah, there's a little...
<Kent> He he...
<Kheldar> excellent... :)
<Kent> very excellent...
<Kent> ... of course she probably had to sell of stuff to get the money to pull this off...
<Kheldar> He leads you up near where the shoreline breaks and there are bushes and such. He follows these away from the city.
<Kent> Jannot follows. Are the walls still in sight? Are there guards visible on the wall? No alarms apparently being raised...
<Kheldar> Not for long. The shore line curves around a bit, and soon a swell of land blocks your sight of the city.
<Kheldar> Apparently no alarms.
<Kheldar> Tomar stops, and as you step forward, he gestures to a clump of trees up ahead. "That's where you're supposed to be."
<Kent> Jannot's probably been near here in the past on a fishing excursion or some such.
<Kheldar> It looks vaguely familiar. You seem to be north of the city.
<Kent> k
<Kheldar> "Good luck, buddy." Tomar says. He pats you on the back.
<Kent> "Thank you..." Jannot says to the fellow.
<Kheldar> "Not a problem. I had to get out too."
<Kheldar> "I really wouldn't go back there if I were you. They'll be looking for the both of us pretty quickly. I'd get as far away as you can. I don't know how far Kyten's influence reaches..."
<Kent> "Okay, I imagine you are right, but tell me, who is it that's after me? who is in charge of the city now? Did the elves REALLY attack?"
<Kheldar> "I heard you met him the other day. I'm not sure who he is. My captain tells me what to do, and I'm good. I do what he says...."
<Kheldar> "That doesn't mean I have to like it."
<Kheldar> "As for the elves?..." He shakes his head. "That's just bad business... They didn't do nothing. I'm not sure what this guy has against elves..."
<Kent> Jannot swears aloud. "I knew it! I KNEW that they wouldn't have attacked."
<Kheldar> He nods sympathetically.
<Kheldar> "Right. I'm going to get moving. I never saw you, never heard of you in my life."
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "Watch your self, and may Qaran watch out for you too."
<Kheldar> "Sure. Good luck to you."
<Kheldar> With a last pat on the back, he heads through the bushes, presumably headed for the road, which you believe may not be that far inland.
<Kent> Boy oh boy... and Jannot doesn't wait - he proceeds to his savior.
<Kheldar> Ok, you make your way towards the trees, but don't see anything or anyone yet.
<Kent> Jannot resists the urge to call out... and keeps on looking.
<Kheldar> You notice a shape moving off to the side and spot the shape of someone looking out from behind some brush.
<Kent> Jannot unsheaths the sword - which likely makes a noticeable sound - and speaks quietly, "Who's there?"
<Kheldar> "Jannot? It's me... Celeste..."
<Kent> Jannot quickly sheaths the sword and jogs over to her... eagerly.
<Kheldar> [fumblingly sheathes the sword...]
<Kent> well, hopefully nothing gets injured...
<Kent> "Celeste? How did you do it?"
<Kent> ... under the moonlight... pretty calme evning... fairly romantic...
<Kheldar> "Are you all right?" She seems in a hurry... "We need to go as soon as we can..."
<Kent> Jannot moves to her and pauses to look at her reaction, is she hurt? worried? happy? "I'm fine... just a bit bruised."
<Kheldar> She gives somewhat of a sigh, as if she were holding her breath. "I brought some clothes for you. I left them over there." She gestures to some bushes back behind her.
<Kent> Jannot just looks at her for a moment and then says quietly, "Thank you..." he moves close to her, pauses and then gives her a hug.
<Kheldar> She tenses a little, but then sags against you. You hear her breath catch somewhat. "I'm glad you're ok," she whispers.
<Kent> Jannot doesn't say anything for a little bit but keeps it brief. "Moving his arms back he pulls her away from his chest. "So, what happened yesterday after I was captured? And how did you manage to rescue me?"
<Kheldar> "You've been gone for a couple days, Jannot." Then... "you'd better get changed, we probably need to be moving."
<Kent> ...oops... right.
<Kent> "Okay," he says, "But I'll be waiting for that story to be told. Tell me as I dress..." he says moving toward where she pointed for his clothes.
<Kheldar> "Tomar told me I should be quiet. Just go change and we can get moving."
<Kent> Jannot nods and goes to change.
<Kheldar> Back behind the bushes, you find a couple of sacks, most likely taken from from your shop. The first one you check contains a couple changes of clothes for both you and Celeste, and... your spare boots!
<Kheldar> You check real quick. There seems to be some food, as well as some odds and ends, including a book. You can't tell which one in the dim light.
<Kent> Yay!. what was in the other sack, out of curiosity? What about the key to the chain on my dingy?
<Kheldar> You don't notice the key in the sack.
<Kent> ok.
<Kent> Dressing quickly Jannot picks up the bags and the old clothes and returns to Celeste... oh and he also keeps the sword buckled on.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kheldar> "I brought as much as I could..." She sounds almost apologetic.
<Kent> "I'm sure that you did... Celeste," he says moving close to her, "What has happened in the last couple of days?"
<Kheldar> "Come on, lets go, I'll tell you as we go..."
<Kent> "Okay" he says waiting for her to lead off.
<Kheldar> She gestures inland. "The road isn't that far. I thought we might head north." She starts moving that way. "I mean, unless you know where to go?"
<Kent> Jannot shakes his head no and moves to follow her. After a minute he says to her, "It's gone isn't it... the shop? the house?"
<Kheldar> "I don't know, Jannot."
<Kent> Jannot frouwns, "Then... how do you know that we need to leave? How did you know where to find me?"
<Kheldar> As you guys continue to walk, she explains a little. "I was worried when you didn't come back, so I asked around a bit."
<Kheldar> "I heard that they took a tanner up to the citadel and I was worried for you..."
<Kent> "So... how did you manage to get someone in to rescue me?"
<Kheldar> "I was coming back to the shop after looking for you, and I spotted a bunch of guards going into your shop."
<Kheldar> "That... well, that can't be good, Jannot."
<Kent> Jannot hangs his head. "So, why was that fellow willing to rescue me? Did you pay him somehow?"
<Kheldar> She seems to wince... "I had to give him some of your money."
<Kent> [Oh man, you can't be serious... ah.]
<Kheldar> Then quickly, "He wanted to leave the city and guard anyway, he said."
<Kent> "Oh, well, sure. That's great! Is there any money left?"
<Kheldar> "a... a little... You aren't mad are you? It was all I could find..."
<Kent> Jannot chuckles lightly. "Not at all, Celeste. You saved my life! What's coin when compared to my life?" and he gives her a big smile.
<Kheldar> She smiles back, and the moonlight seems just a little brighter...

<Kent> [laughing ensues]
<Kheldar> [man, is there an echo in here?]
<Kheldar> [my consultant seems to be laughing too...]
<Kent> Oh... I see. ;]
<Kent> when you said you wee consulting before I thought you meant you were making dice rolls... silly me.
<Kheldar> :) Hey, I did make a dice roll or two in there somewhere.
<Kent> Oh, I'm fairly certain that you did.
<Kheldar> Actually, this consultant of mine is pretty good, she's picked up on a couple things I would have missed...
<Kent> Hm. Good then, giver her a raise! [vile snicker...]
<Kheldar> uh... how vile? nevermind.
<Kheldar> bad Jannot, no XP for you!
<Kent> never mind. Nothing to interrupt the play session over. Hey, that was me, NOT Jannot. Well, I don't need the xp... Jannot does, so , I'm good with that.
<Kheldar> bad Kent, no XP for you!
<Kheldar> Right, so anyway...

<Kent> Celeste is less worried... Jannot is still the same worried.
<Kent> "Okay, so you saw the guards enter the shop when? Yesterday? today?"
<Kheldar> She thinks back...
<Kheldar> "It was yesterday."
<Kent> "Did you watch them or just keep out of their sight?"
<Kheldar> "Oh no, I stayed away. They were the citadel guards, the ones that wear all black?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds, "That was smart. Did you see if they took anything?"
<Kheldar> She says quietly, "I don't know. I didn't stay to watch... I was scared."
<Kent> "Of course." Jannot says. "Did you return to the shop later then, to get these things?"
<Kheldar> "Oh yes. "
<Kheldar> "They... They'd broken into the house and the shop, but I didn't notice anything missing. I didn't stay long then."
<Kent> "Did you happen to grab the keys? or the key I had... onthe mantle in the kitchen? it went to my boat."
<Kheldar> "Oh, yes, I forgot!" She holds up some keys on something around her neck. "I brought them."
<Kent> Exzcellent. "well, we might be able to travel by boat then as opposed to walking... what do you think?" Jannot is reluctant to give up the little dingy... it's beat up, but it's his.
<Kheldar> "We'd have to go back in the city, Jannot..." She seems... frightened.
<Kent> Jannot nodds reluctantly. "Right, of course. That'd be stupid of me. I just... I just don't want to leave it all behind. I fell like I've lost so much..." he drifts off feeling sorry for himself.
<Kheldar> quietly... "I'm sorry, Jannot. I know what that's like."
<Kent> Jannot stops walking. "Maybe I should just get over myself and not be selfish... I mean, look. I'm wearing my clothes and boots again, ALIVE! And I had a ... friend that cared enough to save me." Jannot looks to her and tries to smile..
<Kheldar> She stops and turns to look at you, giving a kind of sad smile.
<Kheldar> after a brief pause... "Come on, I think the road is just up ahead..."
<Kent> Jannot steps to her again, "Celeste, thank you. Thank you for being there for me."
<Kheldar> "You did the same for me..."
<Kent> Jannot looks down and chuckles lightly, kind of surprising himself a little. "Yeah, " He looks up, "I suppose I did, at that." He smiles at her. "Lets go..."
<Kheldar> The two of you move on, coming the the northern trade road just a little later.

<Kheldar> I like that as a place to stop.
<Kheldar> Gives you time to think about what's next. :)
<Kent> Yeah, you would. it's late at night and they haven't found a plave to shelter and sleep for the night... :)
<Kheldar> Next time I guess...
<Kent> besides... there was something else... Let me think... what was it. I was going to... Now I remember. That Sage fellow. He said that he had a colleague up north that would be able to do more research.... Maybe I could try to find him. Or... maybe I should try to find some elves...
<Kheldar> Interesting idea.
<Kent> and perhaps we should stick close to the sea if Qaran has selcted me as 'favored' or something... we'll just have to see, won't we?
<Kheldar> eeeeyup.
<Kent> Go, go spend some quality time with your ... consultant... under the sliver of a moon.
<Kheldar> :D
<Kheldar> You should have heard her... making comments... Something about romance novels and "I didn't know men could be so..." blah blah blah... :)
<Kent> Believe me, I wish I had. I though it was gonna happen... I really did.
<Kent> AH HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha ...
<Kheldar> :) Now is not the time.
<Kent> Did I make you look bad?
<Kheldar> Or as my consultant said, "I can't wait to see how you write up THAT scene..."
<Kent> Ah. well, lets say that my wife tells me that I'm the one with all of the creativity...
<Kent> ;D
<Kheldar> So, um... Does she know about this Celeste? :)
<Kent> [hearty chuckle] Ha! I only tell her what she NEEDS to know...
<Kheldar> Wise man...
<Kent> ... he he, yeah, right.
<Kheldar> Yup, definitely.
<Kent> well, Sareth will be interested to get this post. I think he may feel as slighted as I do about being shorted one romantic episode...
<Kent> Sorry I didn't get to talk to the librarian... and the sage...
<Kent> Fortunately I didn't wait too long to save celeste...
<Kheldar> Yes, true. Things certainly took an unexpected turn. You had me concerned for a bit about how the campaign would continue without seeming contrived... I'd thought about having Jannot die, and having you continue the story with another character and tying things back in (perhaps as celeste or something). I think this worked better though.
<Kent> YIKES!... Yeah, thanks for the help out there... but on my behalf, I would have continued lying, but it was Jannot's plan to continue working... and he couldn't do that by lying about his name...
<Kheldar> Yup, I figured that. We'll see if he still feels like working. I may have to continue pulling strings to force him to become a hero... :)
<Kent> well, I think that hero-hood is something that gets thrust upon someone... not many who seek it find it, I imagine.
<Kheldar> Oh, he'll never think of himself as hero I'm sure. But hopefully those around him will as he finds himself doing the right thing in the circumstances he finds himself.
<Kent> Yeah, he's a good fellow... not like my next character...
<Kent> Heh... I've already made him. He's not a nice guy. Perhaps I could meet up again in the future with that helpful guard...
<Kheldar> }:>
<Kheldar> Sareth has been thinking about some potential characters for when he gets back... :) Some interesting ideas, one of which is Tomar... :)
<Kheldar> There are other ideas too, which I won't tell you because they'll make you realize something that you missed... :D
<Kheldar> You'll eventually find out. It'll be very interesting when you do.
<Kent> You know... I hate it when I miss things... just by a hair. like that fellow packing up his store on the sly... that ... irked me...
<Kheldar> Oh man, you were so close to having him too...
<Kent> So, what was the deal? If it were that close, then why didn't he understand where I was coming from>?
<Kheldar> If only you'd told him the truth. You lied at just the wrong time there...
<Kent> ....grumbling loudly... but it wasn't a lie! He asked if I was a merchant inghte city. well, I had been, but the shop was in disrepair, so at that time I wasn't but I was thinking about opening shop back up! ALL TRUE!
<Kheldar> :D Such is life. On the plus side, you should be happy that I run this game by creating people and having you interact with them (while they stay consistent with who they are) as opposed to just railroading you into a plotline of my making. It makes for a better adventure.
<Kent> Oh... don't misunderstand the frustration... some of that is directed at mydelf as well. :)
<Kheldar> Occasional ... being irked... is the price of having fun. :)
<Kent> Oh... and it keeps me a comin' back, it does...
<Kheldar> :) Oh good.
<Kent> He he... yeah. I was really wondering how you were going to pull him out o fthis little fiasco.
<Kheldar> Well, Jannot hasn't lost yet, although I can't explain how truely close he came in between last session and this one. Really. Thank Sareth for the wonderful realization that Celeste probably knew where you kept your money...
<Kent> Sareth, eh? You must have really been worried if you had to consult outside help to save him...
<Kheldar> Oh yeah, he's my consultant too, but during the week, not during the session.
<Kheldar> Oh, he offers ideas now and then. He has since the beginning. In fact, he wrote the original version of the prophecy. I took and modified it into its final form.
<Kent> Hm. If that's the case, you're going to have to come to a point that you kinda cut him off - if he's planning on becoming a player.
<Kheldar> Yes, you're absolutely right. There are actually already a number of things that he doesn't know about. I starting to wean him off the long term information and only give him access to the short term stuff.

Next time... Explaining the Details

AStott

First Post
Session 10: Explaining the Details

Kent> So... Jannot was walking down the dark road with Celeste after having come to the realization that everything he had a few days prior is now out of his reach.
<Kheldar> Ok, so you just hit the road then.
<Kent> Yup.. approx what time of night is it?
<Kheldar> You aren't really sure what the time is.
<Kent> "How much of the night has passed, Celeste?"
<Kheldar> "I think it's still a few hours until sunrise."
<Kent> "That late? Hm..." So they must be pretty tired.
<Kheldar> Yes, the adrenaline has started to wear off.
<Kent> How far until the next town north?
<Kheldar> Well, you could probably find a small village not too far up the road.
<Kheldar> The next real town though is a pretty good distance north.
<Kent> Right.
<Kent> "So, do you think that we should stop at all until the coming night to rest?"
<Kheldar> "I don't know Jannot. I'm getting pretty tired, but it would be nice to sleep in a bed..."
<Kent> "Well, I know that it takes about 5 days to go to that town to the south of Zuqar... and the next town north is a bit farther. [I recall you saying that he didn't make as good of time by boat that he could have by foot - sure...
<Kheldar> So, it might be 4 or 5 days by foot.
<Kent> wait to Shershel? Did you just give me the estimated time of travel by foot to Shershel or to that po-dunk place Jannot landed?
<Kheldar> to Shershel.
<Kent> hmm... how kind of you. :)
<Kent> "... so we have a good deal of travelling to go. How much money do we have?"
<Kheldar> "Only a little over one gold."
<Kent> Jannot nodds, "That should be plenty for food for a few days - and a room to stay in, I'd imagine. Why don't we stop and rest near here for a little while and then press on after a couple hours of sleep."
<Kheldar> "Ok, how about over there?" She gestures to a stand of tree a little off the road, beyond which lie some fields.
<Kent> Jannot will look it over and also look around a little, to see if there's anything that's relatively shielded from the road.
<Kheldar> There are mostly fields around at this point. just some clumps of trees here and there. The land is not too rough.
<Kent> Anything with underbrush that isn't too obvious?
<Kheldar> It's pretty open here. Most of this land is farm land tended by peasants intended for nearby Zuqar.
<Kent> Is the land also pretty flat or are there hills.
<Kheldar> It's fairly flat. Places that are rough have been left with stands of trees.
<Kent> So then we can see quiet a ways along the road then? (under a moon lit sky)
<Kheldar> If it wasn't so dark, yes.
<Kent> no help from the moon?
<Kheldar> The moon is closer to new than full.
<Kheldar> --err, just realized there are two moons, but the other (smaller one) isn't up.
<Kent> -- he he... convenient. Have a lunar cycle calendar there?
<Kheldar> -- Not handy, but I could tell you approximately how long between lunar conjunctions... :)
<Kent> -- BAH....
<Kent> okay, okay. "Sure. that seems like as good a place as we are likely to find." He says starting to head that way.
<Kheldar> She nods in agreement with you.
<Kent> "Though farmers are an early-waking lot so we best be watchful."
<Kent> we make our way to the stand.
<Kheldar> There's enough cover there, down out of sight of the road. It should be secure enough.
<Kent> Okay. "You didn't happen to bring a blanket and pillows, did ya?" Jannot poses to Celeste with a smile.
<Kheldar> "Sorry, I brought all that I could with me... I did bring a pair of blankets, but no pillow."
<Kent> Was she acting apologetic?
<Kheldar> just a little.
<Kent> Jannot walks up to her and pulls out a blanket from the sack. "Thank you for getting all these things. Your planning has likely saved our lives. Now I want you so stop being sorry." He says tenderly.
<Kheldar> "Ok. This is all just so sudden..."
<Kheldar> She pulls some clothing out of the sack and folds them up to create make-shift pillows.
<Kent> He takes the blanket and looks around on the ground for a smooth sopt. Spreading the blanket he continues, "Yeah." He sighs. "I hear you. Two weeks ago I had a thriving, successful business that I ran with a lifelong friend... now, I just don't kow." He sits on the blanket looking up at her. "Now I'm an outlaw... of sorts. Wanted for some reason by this bad fellow. Have youy heard about this new guy that's in charge?"
<Kheldar> She shakes her head and turns away to look out past the trees... "Two weeks ago... I had a family," she says in a distant voice.
<Kent> Jannot's head sags. "Yes, of course. I'm sorry." He stands up and stands next-to/behind her. "I'm just being self-centered. You've lost as much as if not more than I have..."
<Kheldar> "It's not your fault Jannot." She turns to face you. "You've done so much for me. I could never repay you..."
<Kent> Jannot looks into her face. "And you have been nothing but kind, supportive and thankful. You don't need to repay me."
<Kent> -- so this is how it's going to be, eh? very nice...
<Kheldar> "Stop that," she says playfully. She then goes back to laying out the other blanket.
<Kent> Jannot smiles. "Stop what? You were really being... great. I don't know what else I'd call it." He pauses, "and then of course you do that little thing... you know, save my life..."
<Kheldar> She turns, and you can tell she must be smiling, although here under the trees you can't see real well. "Oh Jannot. I think we were meant for each other." Then, changing the subject, "Hey, I brought along the book you were teaching me to read from... Perhaps later we can continue?"
<Kent> -- DOH!
<Kheldar> -- heh... :)
<Kent> Jannot moves to the ... der.... sack and rumages through it thinking he could try to get to it tonight... then thinks better. "Heh, you know. perhaps when there's light would be better, huh?" then he laughs.[
<Kheldar> "Of course. Later I said.... we need our sleep for now, especially if we have to walk for a ways."
<Kent> Jannot give a sigh. "Yes. you're right. five days or so of walking is not going to be a picnic." He moves back to his blanket - how are the two situated by the way?
<Kheldar> Well, the ground is a little rough. It seems like the best place is up by the roots of a large tree. She's off just a couple feet away around the (rather large) trunk.
<Kent> Is one piece of ground any nicer than the other?
<Kheldar> Not particularly. You'll probably both wake up a little stiff.
<Kent> Jannot lies down and rolls the blanket a part fo the way around him so he's laying on the other part. "Well, sleep well then, my rescuer."
<Kheldar> There is a brief silence, then she says, "Thanks for being there, Jannot. Good night."
<Kent> Jannot smiles, "There's no place else I could be I think. Perhaps you were right... maybe we were meant to be... uh here. together. Um... good night."
<Kheldar> She yawns and mumbles a good night.
<Kent> right. Jannot tries to clear his thoughts and then remembers the trials of the day and thinks that [perhaps a little thanks to Qaran might not be out of order.
<Kent> after a muttered prayer of thanks, he passes into sleep.
<Kheldar> any particular time you plan to try and be awake by?
<Kent> well - briefly after dawn I'd say. giving maybe 4 hours of sleep at best.
<Kheldar> Ok. Surprisingly enough (given how tired you felt), you find yourself awaking just as the sun is apparently beginning to peek over the sea. Celeste is sound asleep not far away.
<Kent> Oh. I didn't know that we were close enough to the shore to be able to see it.
<Kheldar> Well, no, you probably can't, but the sea is that way...
<Kent> sure. I get it.
<Kent> Jannot will rouse himself trying to stay quiet. Is the campsite the same as they left it when they went to sleep? Jannot will get up and try to determine what food Celeste brrrought without waking her. He chuckles a little recalling how difficult she was to wake that first morning.
<Kheldar> It seems to be.
<Kheldar> You check through the two sacks that Celeste brought with her. It looks like there is enough for a couple days of food for each of you. Most of the other stuff you know about (clothes, the book). You suddenly realize that there is one thing which she apparently did NOT bring...
<Kheldar> You look through both sacks again, but there is no piece of parchment with the prophecy and the symbol...
<Kheldar> --after all, you never told her about it... :)
<Kent> well... he can probably remember it well enough. after all, he did focus on the thing for three days straight... and the symbol is easy enough to redraw.
<Kheldar> True
<Kent> Actually It should be easy enough to find out one way or another after all hwe was the crazy elf guy that left the elves to live with and guide the humans. Pretty specific.
<Kheldar> Not to worry.
<Kent> hm. anyway.
<Kent> Jannot will take out a bit of the food - enough for himself and Celeste...
<Kent> Did he really NOT tell her Anything yet?
<Kheldar> Nope, I figured you had some reason for it. I was vaguely surprised...
<Kent> hmm... my bad then. That's gonna be an interesting conversation.
<Kheldar> :) Yup. Of course, she's never told you much about her background either...
<Kent> Heh... very true as it were. Good point.
<Kheldar> You're feeling a bit sore from the hard ground, and your arm is still healing, but most of the bruises and minor cuts from... questioning are pretty much not giving you any more trouble.
<Kent> okay. So Jannot starts munching on his bit of food and walks around a little looking out for activity on the farmland and along the road.
<Kheldar> There seems to be little activity... ok, none. You do however spot some smoke to the north, which you figure is probably a village.
<Kent> Hm... could have slept in a bed... and likely been found out by that freak followere of Kyten... he mutters to himself "Better the ground."
<Kent> Jannot will let Celeste sleep for a little while longer... and perhaps watch her sleep a little bit. Never watched a woman sleep before... hope she doesn't snore - or drool.
<Kheldar> :) She doesn't appear to, although she is a little restless.
<Kent> If she's restless now then she likel didn't sleep well at all.
<Kent> Jannot will put whatever else is lying around back in the bag as well as his blanket and then go to wake Celeste.
<Kent> ... except for her portion of food.. Is there any water?
<Kheldar> Oh... um... Yes, she packed a water skin.
<Kent> a single water skin? What is that, one quart?
<Kheldar> Yes. It's not that hard around these parts to find streams. Most water over a rather sizeable chunk of land makes its way down to this sea.
<Kent> Oh. I didn't realize that. okay then. So streams are relatively plenty then? maybe cross two or three a day?
<Kheldar> Perhaps, yes.
<Kent> okay then.
<Kent> Jannot goes and wakes Celeste after a little time passes.
<Kheldar> She's a little disoriented at first, then she smiles at you and stands, stretching. "Oh, I did NOT sleep well last night."
<Kent> "Here. I got some food out for you."
<Kheldar> "Thank you!" She takes the food and sits, beginning to eat.
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "I noticed that you were a bit restless. Bad dreams? or were the accomodations not up to your satisfaction?" he says with a wry grin, arm swinging about to take in the tree stand.
<Kheldar> "I don't think this tree likes me." She kicks at a root.
<Kent> "Ah... well, I slept fine. Perhaps next time I can find you a smoother spot."
<Kent> Jannot moves to tkae up her blanket and fold it to put away.
<Kent> ... that is unless she's sitting on it to eat.
<Kheldar> Nope, it's free. She thanks you, while continuing to eat.
<Kent> Jannot sits nearby, but not too near by while she's eating. "Anyway, last night, I was going to tell you about the guy that's in charge of Zuqar now apparently."
<Kheldar> "Oh?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds and recounts to her the events of his capture, his incarceration, skirts over the details of the questioning and then of his meeting with the new king of Zuqar. Including ALL the details of the incident with Kyten, though he drops his voice when he says the name.
<Kheldar> "So, is this guy a priest of ... Kyten? Who is he?"
<Kent> "Well, I'd imagine so, unless he's just a convenient puppet for this god to use in his machinations. I've heard about Kyten before in reading other books, ..." and he tells her about - wait, is Kyten common knowledge?
<Kheldar> Nope.
<Kent> Ah. he tells her about the things he's read about this new deity - unfriendliness and all.
<Kheldar> "Why does he want you then?" ...she's almost done eating.
<Kent> Jannot looks down at the ground. "Well, I'm not sure. Like I said, Kyten replied to the guy that I was... um, favored or something. ... and I think I believe it." He looks at her to judge her response.
<Kheldar> She looks puzzled, "But you aren't even a worshipper of Qaran..."
<Kent> Jannot nodds his head. "Yeah, well I wasn't but I've been reconsidering that. You see before all this mess happened, I was reading this book. You know I like books..." And he tells her about the book containing the prophecy... and then he tells her, carefully, about the birds... and then finding out the whole prophecy.
<Kheldar> By the time you are finished, her mouth is hanging open... :)
<Kent> -- he he he he...
<Kent> "Now, finding out the whole prophecy is what really started my mind working this out becuse of the son of the skin crafter bit... and the rest. Well My father was a tanner... and the birds - I mean, right in the back yard. I mean... it LOOKS like it's pointing to me. But I didn't believe it, not really, until the plague returned. I was forced to flee the city out of fear. I took my little boat..." and he recounts his travels to that little hole-in-the-dirt ... "And then I met this priest... do you want to hear the rest of this? I mean... you haven't said anything... Celeste?"
<Kheldar> "umm... go ahead..."
<Kent> Did she ever finish her food.? he he...
<Kheldar> :) There is still some left, apparently forgotten...
<Kent> "Okay, so still looking for answers I go to this priest..." and he tells her about the REALLY WIERD thing that happened with the bowl...
<Kent> "So, I figured that enough time had passed that I could return to the city and everything would be finished and I could get back to my work and home. Well, you know what I returned to."
<Kheldar> She is quiet for a bit, and then asks, "So what are you going to do now about all this?"
<Kent> Jannot chuckles a little. "Well, I'm not certain, but if there's clarification to be found regarding this prophecy then I'm not going to get it until I can talk t omore people. Besides, I think that the neighboring cities need to know what's happened in Zuqar. This fellow is likely out for bad things to happen and I'm sure that they are unaware."
<Kheldar> "Isn't that dangerous, Jannot? They're going to be looking for you..."
<Kent> Jannot laughs. Oddly enough he laughs alot thinking about what they've both been thorough,. "Yeah, I'm sure it is. But they're already after me - wanting to kill me. And now that you're travelling with me you're a target as well, wether we try to help other people or not... I'm sorry you were dragged into this Celeste." He looks over to her actually quite sad for her.
<Kheldar> She thinks quietly for a bit.
<Kheldar> Then suddenly, "We'd better get moving Jannot! We need to get away quickly!"
<Kent> Jannot looks around fast, is something happening,? "What? is something going on?"
<Kheldar> She seems concerned, "They're going to be hunting you down. We can't sit here just waiting..."
<Kent> Jannot calms down a little. "Yes you're right. Jannot grabs the heavier sack out of the two. "We really should be going... "He stops and looks at her. "Thank you... for being so ..."
<Kheldar> She waves it off. "We need to stop doing that so much." She smiles and finishes off her food, taking up the other sack.
<Kent> Jannot nodds quickly., Right. He looks away and smiles to himself. Is the road still clear?
<Kheldar> Yup, seems to be.
<Kent> "We'll make better time on the road, but we'll have to be really careful. Any riders and we'll have to hide." he says starting to walk out towards the road.
<Kheldar> She looks around as the two of you head for the road, "If we can find a place to hide."
<Kheldar> Within about a day of walking, the farmlands should thin out and you'll find yourselves in fairly heavily forested areas. Big old nearly rainforest like trees.
<Kent> "Okay, well, if we make haste further up the road for the morning we should be allright. I have this sword - that I can barely use - do you have a knife or something?"
<Kheldar> She nods. "I brought one of your knives."
<Kent> "Okay then. That's great. Lets waste no more time."
<Kent> we try to continually look back along the road to watch for travellers.
<Kheldar> Right. And you'll travel for how long (late)?
<Kent> "You know, " he says as they travel, "We're going to have to come up with a cover story and names if we do have to interact with people so we can't be easily tracked - at least by our names anyway. - late... uh... we travel until a couple hours after sun down. people looking for us will likely be on horseback and be able to catch up relatively fast. best get out of the immediate area quickly.
<Kheldar> got it.
<Kheldar> It occurs to you that since you never mentioned Celeste during questioning, they won't expect you to be traveling with a woman...
<Kent> True. But a fairly thorough description might be following as well. maybe he'll grow out his beard...

Next time... Journey to the Jungle's Edge

AStott

First Post
Session 11: Journey to the Jungle's Edge

<Kheldar> Let's see... you and Celeste had decided to travel until a couple hours after sundown.
<Kent> Right. though I wanted to come up with a cover story.
<Kheldar> Ah, right. Go ahead.
<Kent> Well, actually how long until we reach that little town?
<Kheldar> The dinky one? The village?
<Kent> Right - chimney smoke.
<Kheldar> Only about... say 15 minutes or so. Maybe half hour.
<Kent> Okay, as we approach the little town, it dawns on Jannot that they're likely going to have to talk to people along their way and shouldn't necessarily make it easy for people to find them...
<Kent> "Hey Celeste, before we go in to this little town maybe we should talk a little bit first."
<Kheldar> "Oh?"
<Kent> Jannot stops walking and steps off the road (it's morning, there may actually be travellers soon)
<Kent> "Yeah, if there are people looking for us - or rather likely just me - maybe we should use false names... and maybe a cover story."
<Kheldar> "Oh... That's a good idea. You can call me... Anne I suppose."
<Kent> "Anne, okay. Um... what about your family name?"
<Kheldar> "I don't know, will it matter?"
<Kent> "Well, I suppose not. I guess I'll go by...Jon. How's that, do I look like a Jon?"
<Kheldar> "I can remember that I think."
<Kheldar> She squints at you..."Oh, maybe if you grew out a beard." She grins.
<Kent> Jannot chuckles, "Actually I was thinking about that. I will do that. Okay. Now, why are we travelling? Maybe... I suppose that we don't look much alike so siblings are out of the question..."
<Kheldar> "Visiting family?"
<Kent>Jannot nodds. "Sure, we were visiting family in Zuqar. Um... should we say that we're ... married?"
<Kheldar> "Yes, that would be good, but not Zuqar. Maybe... Ilan."
<Kheldar> "We bypassed Zuqar due to ... troubles we'd heard about.
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "That's a very good idea, but I don't know much about Ilan - only a couple things I've read. Have you been to Ilan?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, right." She wrinkles up her forehead. "Maybe that wouldn't work so well."
<Kent> Jannot thinks, "Well, we could be displaced because of the ... elves attack... resulting in our house being burnt down. It's close enough to the truth."
<Kheldar> She considers for a bit... "I... I'm not sure I want to be spreading *that* rumor..."
<Kent> "Hm... well...hm. How about ... we're newly wed and we were ... Hm."
<Kent> [has Jannot ever been to any of the surrounding towns? Perhaps for the skin trade (not THAT skin trade)]
<Kheldar> Probably not. Other than the one you rowed to during the plague, of course.
<Kent> - poo
<Kent> Jannot look sat their clothes - how nice or not nice are their clothes?
<Kheldar> They're pretty much lower-middle class. That is, you are a tradesman, but one on the lower end of the spectrum. Your clothes are probably appropriate for such a station.
<Kent> How about appropriate for farmers? Do they use indentured slaves?
<Kheldar> Probably not. Most farmers are serfs, and barely make due with what they have.
<Kent> Hm. "Well, a vacation trip is pretty unlikely as well huh..." Jannot poses jokingly.
<Kheldar> "How about... we were attacked by bandits and our things stolen?"
<Kent> "Well, that sounds fine... but I'm more concerned with where we are from, where we're going and why... perhaps we were on our way to visit family up north...
<Kheldar> "Did you say something about us maybe going to Freehold?"
<Kent> Yeah. That's as good a place to be headed as any... isn't it?"
<Kheldar> "I have relatives up in Miraj, perhaps we could head for there, by then we may not have to worry about things..."
<Kent> Jannot looks at Celeste. "I didn't knoiw that you had family up there... but then I really don't know that much about you to begin with, do I?" he says carefully.
<Kheldar> "I've never actually seen them before. They're my mother's cousins..."
<Kent> Jannot nods. "Okay, that's fine. Perhaps they may even be of help when we arrive. I think that...
<Kent> Um... Pike appears on the map as a larger than average city. I'm wondering if the road is better in-land as opposed to along the sea.
<Kheldar> Oh yes, the inland road is definitely better, although certainly longer.
<Kent> Anyway, are we already on the road going North along the coast North of Zuqar?
<Kheldar> Yes, that's correct. Sometime after noon you should hit the split in the road... uh... at least so you've heard... ahem.
<Kent> you sure that there isn't a separate gate from Zuqar headed of fthat way?
<Kheldar> Yup, positive. The road splits after passing between a pair of lakes.
<Kent> okay. Oh. that's nice. picturesque. Um So, has Jannot ever heard about the condition of the roads ... comparatively? It's summer... would there be any weather concerns or... real bandits?
<Kheldar> hmm... probably not.
<Kheldar> There are always some concern about bandits. These lands are not nearly heavily populated enough to provide real safety on the roads, at least once you get past a day or two journey away from the population centers.
<Kent> Okay, So, if we went inland, we'd almost see no-one... since there seem to be no villages/towns along the way.
<Kheldar> Actually, you have a better chance of seeing travelers along the inland road.
<Kent> More heavily travelled?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kent> Oh. Hm. Okay, so the shorter and also the less populated travel path is along the coasst.
<Kheldar> Yes, correct.
<Kheldar> Of course, if it's fairly low traffic, there may be fewer worries about bandits...
<Kheldar> But also less chance of finding someone to travel with...
<Kent> Oh, yeah, wasn't thinking about travelling with others... but also less traffic means less targets for bandits.
<Kheldar> It's pretty common to try and find someone to travel with.
<Kent> Okay. Where were we. "So, ... uh.. Anne, what do you think of us being newlyweds traveling North to Miraj to visit your family?"
<Kheldar> "That should work just fine I think."
<Kent> "What work... I suppose I AM a leather worker - but that was what they were looking for when they caught me the first time." Jannot thinks.
<Kheldar> "Yes, you might want to ... think up a new occupation."
<Kent> He's read a lot of books - he could fake being a librarian... or a historian...
<Kheldar> That's a pretty good chance I'd say.
<Kent> Yeah. "I think I have a good idea. I'm a historian and I work in a library... the library. We're ... uh... we were moving up to Miraj to be close to your family... and our belongings except for a few things were stolen.. by bandits."
<Kheldar> "I suppose if we're going to be from Zuqar that we could say that our families had been... killed in... during the problems there, and we left with everything we had..."
<Kent> Jannot smiles a small wry smile. "You know, that's too close to the truth to turn down. We'll go with that. we lost our home and our other belongings and are moving back near your remaining family... Anne and Jon... Jon and Anne... Jon the historian..."
<Kent> "I think that that will work." Jannot smiles at her.
<Kheldar> She nods in agreement.
<Kent> Jannot starts to walk back up the road, "Come along, my wife, Anne." He says with a grin.
<Kheldar> [cute]
<Kheldar> She smiles and the two of you continue along the road.
<Kent> We'll try to stick to ourselves if we encounter people in town, unless they're travelling North.
<Kheldar> You pass through a little farming village shortly after. It's a small place of perhaps only a hundred people.
<Kent> Are there shops?And it's pretty early in the morning, eh?
<Kheldar> There is what appears to be a general store of sorts, and a tavern, but other than that, no.
<Kheldar> It's a little after sunrise, perhaps between the first and second hour. You have noticed some people up and around. People headed out to hoe the fields and such.
<Kent> Well, we have food for a couple days. Strangers buying travel rations first thing in the morning ... might be memorable. Is it likely that there'll be another village of the sort in the next day or so?
<Kheldar> Oh yes, up until about a days travel outside the city (or so) these little farming communities are dotted all over the place.
<Kheldar> After that... fairly rare.
<Kent> Great. we'lll just continue on "Perhaps," he says to Celeste, "we should not make ourselves easy to remember this close to the city. We'll wait until tomorrow and then buy some more food."
<Kheldar> "That sounds like a smart idea, Jon."
<Kent> "Why thank you Anne." He gives her a smile and they continue on.
<Kheldar> So, you continue traveling through the day. You come across villages periodically.
<Kheldar> When you reach the fork in the road just after the two lakes, which way do you head?
<Kent> Jannot looks to Celeste, "Well, Anne, this way?" he asks, pointing North, along the coastal roadway?
<Kheldar> "I don't know, Jon. Your call."
<Kent> "Yeah, lets go this way - less traffic and a shorter road."
<Kheldar> The difference is pretty obvious and immediate. The new "road" is really more of a wagon trail. There are deep ruts left from during past rainy seasons, although the way is still kept fairly clear of growth.
<Kheldar> You had passed a few travelers on the road who were headed south before lunch time.
<Kheldar> Most were single horse carts, likely carrying various edible goods.
<Kent> Okay, have we seen any Northbound traffic at all?
<Kheldar> There hasn't been any traffic that's passed you headed north. This probably is not too surprising considering that you were doing your best to make decent time, and you started early, a few miles north of Zuqar, while other travelers would have left later from the city itself.
<Kent> Well, okay. Is the going actually any rougher now that the road has changed so drastically?
<Kheldar> Well, if you had a cart, you might be concerned, but it really isn't that much worse for foot travel.
<Kent> k
<Kent> Allright. we don't happen to have a candle or fire-making odds and ends do we?
<Kheldar> Yes, in fact Celeste did pack the like.
<Kheldar> A few candles, plus a flint and steel.
<Kent> Cool. Excellent. It dawns onb Jannot that they WILL make a tempting target if they do encounter any bandits. "You know, we should try to hide out money on our persons as opposed to in the sacks. If we get hit by bandits, we'll be sore pressed without something..."
<Kheldar> [actually, Celeste had the money in a pouch on her, rather than in a sack.]
<Kent> Is the pouch visible ?
<Kheldar> No.
<Kent> Ah... okay... maybe a decoy then... Is there a small sack? One perhaps that Jannot could carry visible? Poo.
<Kheldar> Let's see... no. In fact, you don't have a pouch yourself. Of course, you could use hers as a decoy and put the money elsewhere...
<Kent> Hm. Um. "You know if we are attacked or robbed, and we made it difficult for them to find our money, they might be more thorough... Why not make ..."
<Kheldar> "Maybe if we're attacked, we can just give them our money. It might be better to keep it hidden though, so that they might not think us worth their while..."
<Kent> "True. but at least we should split the money up. Just in case.... Now, where do I put it..."
<Kheldar> She nods and pulls out the pouch from someplace.
<Kent> How about ... no internal pockets sewn into the clothing, eh? :)
<Kheldar> hmmm... no.
<Kent> Um, there are two sacks right?
<Kent> One has food in it right?
<Kheldar> Correct. Some of the food does have some wrappings... just to keep it together.
<Kent> Is there a chunk of meat or a loaf of bread?
<Kheldar> Yeah, a loaf or two.
<Kent> "Hey, lets stick some - or most - of the money in one of the loaves of bread and re-wrap it... thieves would want our money and goods, but not necessarily our food, right?"
<Kheldar> "I suppose..."
<Kheldar> She dumps the coins out into her hand. Looks like 10 silver, 6 bronze, and a pair of coppers.
<Kent> "Lets leave 1 silver, 2 bronze and the coppers in the sack and put the rest in with the food... what do you think?"
<Kheldar> She nods. "That sounds ok. I suppose you should keep the purse, too." She puts a few of the coins back in the purse and hands it to you.
<Kent> Jannot raises his eyebrows. "Yeah, that would make sense." And he takes the purse from her, and tries to find as hidden a place to put it.
<Kheldar> right
<Kent> "Okay, lets go.... Anne"
<Kheldar> She grins and points to the loaf in your hand. "Need a knife to cut that open?"
<Kent> Ahh..." Heh... yeah, that might help, eh?"
<Kheldar> She pulls one of your skinning knives out from someplace *else* and hands it over.
<Kent> Wow... handy to keep her around.,..
<Kent> Jannot carefully unwraps the bread loaf and cuts it open. Do the coins fit inside nicely?
<Kheldar> Good enough. Celeste holds out her hand for the knife when you are done.
<Kent> Jannot hands the knife back to her and in a non-overt way tries to figure out where she has it stashed.
<Kheldar> She's got it tucked inside her clothing looks like.
<Kent> Mmm...
<Kheldar> "Lets not eat that one..." She grins.
<Kent> Jannot carefullt re-wraps the bread and tries to make it look normal.
<Kent> "Yeah, it'd be a bit rich for my belly." He grins.
<Kheldar> [sounds of head being smacked echo through the cosmos]
<Kheldar> She giggles.
<Kent> [:)]
<Kheldar> [Apparently you're thinking inside the box there... (your smiley)]
<Kent> outside the bun?
<Kheldar> riiiight.
<Kent> Heh... okay. we proceed. I'll let Celeste carry the valuable bread (likely the food is in the less heavy sack) and the other things Jannot will carry.
<Kheldar> Sounds reasonable.
<Kent> we continue.
<Kheldar> So, as the afternoon wears on, you begin to notice more frequent areas where trees have not been cleared.
<Kent> Good.
<Kheldar> The farming villages are getting more scattered.
<Kent> Well... Hm. I don't suppose that there is any fishing tackle in that sack, huh?
<Kheldar> No, unfortunately not.
<Kent> Is it the end of the day, or just nearing?
<Kheldar> At this particular instant it's about mid to late afternoon.
<Kent> Is the road still fairly straight and flat? Does it seem like it's likely that there are any more farms North?
<Kheldar> Well... reasonably so.
<Kheldar> Probably so, since you can still see up ahead that there are cleared fields.
<Kent> Okay. In that case, "You know, the farms are likely going to not continue far... we'll have to get supplies tomorrow."
<Kheldar> "Where are we going to stay the night?"
<Kent> Jannot smiles, "Well, I'm not sure. Maybe there'll be a town soon that has a place to stay. If not..."
<Kheldar> She sighs. "I guess I'd better get used to traveling life and sleep outside, huh."
<Kent> "maybe so. You kow I never promised you a house on a hill..." He grins.
<Kheldar> "I guess this would be the 'worse' part then, Jon?"
<Kent> Jannot stops in momentary shock then busts out laughing.
<Kheldar> "All I can say is that I hope there is some 'better' somewhere up the road." She grins.
<Kent> "Ah, my dear Anne, you'll be the death of me. I really do wish that..."
<Kheldar> "Ah ha! All the sooner I can marry your knock-out of a brother."
<Kent> Jannot's smile lessens. He chuckles a little. "Yeah. right."
<Kheldar> She seems to take notice. "Oh, Jannot, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it."
<Kent> "Oh, don't feel bad. My family has been gone for a long time. And on top of it I never had a brother, just an older sister."
<Kheldar> "Was she pretty?"
<Kent> He smiles, "I was only seven at the time, so really I only remember her flowing hair and her smile.... but yeah, I think that she would have been very pretty."
<Kheldar> Celeste is quiet for a moment.
<Kent> After a pause, Jannot continues. Um, you haven't told me much about yourself, but I've told you nearly everything about me... Is there something about me that makes you not want to ... share?"
<Kheldar> "Oh no, Jannot!" She's quick to reply. "It's not you. I just..." She sighs.
<Kheldar> "I guess I need to begin to get over it all somehow and move on with my life."
<Kheldar> She pauses briefly.
<Kent> Jannot nodds, knowingly.
<Kheldar> "I... had a close family, and it's hard... well, it's hard to think back on the happy memories."
<Kent> Jannot looks over at her. "Something I've learned is that you have to accept the happy memories. They'er perhaps the only things you can claim for your own... of the people or things you've lost."
<Kheldar> She nods thoughtfully.
<Kent> After a pause, he says, "Yeah, you have to hold on to them." He thinks about Thom... working leather, being onery ... fishing... He's sure going to miss that old codger... perhaps a small tear wiped away.
<Kheldar> "How did your sister die?"
<Kent> Jannot clears his throat and continues on stronger than before. "Well, she died along with my father and my mother in the plague of the dark harvest about 25 years ago. I grew up with a family friend - Thom."
<Kheldar> "My family came to Zuqar shortly after the plagues. My Dad had said the city offered ... tax breaks and stuff to people moving in. I was really kind of young to remember it very well."
<Kent> "Yeah, apparently that's what's happening now... sort of. So, what was your family's trade?"
<Kheldar> "Well, my father was a cobbler... I think I told you that. My mother would bake some things and sell them to neighbors."
<Kent> "Right. I forgot. So, was it just you and your parents then, or did you have sisters and brothers?"
<Kheldar> "Well, I had a brother who was a couple years younger than me, also a sister a few years younger than him. I also had another sister who was... only 6." Celeste winces a little.
<Kent> Jannot looks her over, "I'm sorry that you lost such a large and wonderful sounding family."
<Kent> Jannot will not ask any more questions... continuing to walk.
<Kheldar> She is content to walk in silence as well.
<Kheldar> As the day wears on and the sun begins to settle into the west. You notice up ahead that the ... well, I guess techincally it'd be called jungle, since it's a forest that's essentially tropical... seems to have not been cut down at all.
<Kent> Hm... jungle... tigers?
<Kheldar> I looks like you may be coming to the end of the farming lands. You do notice as you come up over a rise another small village up ahead, not far from where the trees begin.
<Kent> "You know, maybe we had better not wait until tomorrow for those supplies." Is it evening now?
<Kheldar> The sun is very near to setting.
<Kent> Jannot looks at Celeste, "Well, Anne, we might be able to have a slightly more comfortable bed tonight.."
<Kheldar> Celeste nods, "That would be nice, Jon, to have a bed before we head out into the wilds."
<Kent> Jannot agrees, "I won't object to that." though he thinks back and recalls that for sleeping on the ground, we awoke oddly refreshed...
<Kheldar> Well, more or less.... You have been tired today...
<Kent> I'm sure... having only 4 hours of sleep and all.
<Kent> we continue into the town, but before entering the populated area Jannot moves to hold Celeste's hand.
<Kheldar> She nods, but doesn't say anything.
<Kent> She nods... in response to his taking her hand?. hm. ok.
<Kheldar> Yes, as if recognizing why you took her hand.
<Kent> well, at least he's got a good premise...
<Kheldar> Now, it's not a firm grip by any means, but yes, you have her hand... :)
<Kent> Oh. well, I guess you can't expect the moon...
<Kent> ... the town.
<Kheldar> Right.
<Kheldar> The two of you head in. By the time you reach the first houses... err... well... buildings, the sun has set, and twilight is on you.
<Kheldar> The homes are very small and crude, like the others you've seen during the day, but there is light coming from some of them, and there does seem to be a couple more regular type buildings near the center.
<Kent> We'll continue...
<Kheldar> As you get closer, you spot a store, and actually, what appears to be an inn of sorts.
<Kent> Is it the only one... of course it is...
<Kheldar> Yep, looks like.
<Kent> We will approach the inn and enter.
<Kheldar> The place is somewhat small by your city-born standards, but it is cheerily lit, and there are a few people there in a common room eating and laughing.
<Kent> Hm. Well, that's good. Is there a counter with a ...
<Kheldar> Well no, but there is a bar-like place in the common room.
<Kheldar> In addition, a young girl in her teens spots the two of you and comes in the entrance area from the common room.
<Kheldar> "Oh, you two do long like you've had a long day. Can I offer you supper, and perhaps a room?"
<Kent> Jannot clears his throat, "Well, yes. How much will a room here cost for the night?"
<Kheldar> "Only two copper for dinner and a room for the two of you to have for yourselves."
<Kent> Jannot smiles, "We'll take it, thank you. Can we put our things up before having supper?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, yes. Here, I'll show you the room." She beckons for you to follow her, and she heads up the stairs.
<Kent> Jannot looks over to Celeste, "Well, Anne, what do you think?"
<Kheldar> Celeste nods and half whispers, "Sounds ok." She seems just a little nervous.
<Kent> Jannot heads up after the friendly ... host.
<Kheldar> maid?
<Kheldar> maiden I guess... :)
<Kheldar> Right, upstairs are the sleeping quarters. There are a couple large rooms which contain a number of bunk beds. She leads you past those to a small room which she pushes open.
<Kheldar> "You can get a key from Kallick when you get something to eat. He's the one preparing food."
<Kent> Oh.... oh good. "Okay then, thank you very much...
<Kheldar> The girl smiles and heads back down the stairs.
<Kent> Jannot will enter the room ... what's it lok like?
<Kheldar> The room is fairly small, but it does contain a double bed, a rack for hanging outer garmets, a chest, and a small table next to the bed.
<Kent> After Celeste moves into the room, Jannot will shut the door.
<Kent> Is there a window?
<Kheldar> Yes, there is... There are curtains made of a rough material over the window, but there is a hook and strap to hold them open.
<Kent> Jannot will go to the window and check to see if it's secure in it's frame.
<Kheldar> It seems pretty secure. It has a real thick glass, and opens outwards. There is a latch on the inside which keeps it closed and secure.
<Kent> and... it locks?
<Kent> Is this on the ground floor or is there an upstairs? the wall of the window... vertical, or built in to the roof? ... so no easy access from outside ... without a ladder.
<Kheldar> Nope, it's on the second (top) floor.
<Kheldar> Vertical.
<Kheldar> It doesn't look like anyone would be able to get in easily.
<Kent> good Jannot puts his bag on the table. "I think I like this place."
<Kheldar> Celeste has already set hers down on the chest, which she has opened, looked inside, and closed again.
<Kent> Jannot looks at her... "something wrong?"
<Kheldar> "It's certainly small..."
<Kheldar> "Well... and there's only, well... just one bed... Which I guess makes sense.. um... for a married couple."
<Kent> Jannot shakes his head. "Don't worry. you take the bed. I'll sleep on the floor... two blankets will be plenty of cushion..."
<Kheldar> "Oh Jan... Jon, you don't mind do you?"
<Kent> Jannot smiles, "Just as long as the field mice don't hog the pillow."
<Kheldar> "Oh, I *hope* they don't have mice here."
<Kheldar> "Thank you."
<Kent> Jannot thinks to himself - it would appear that Celeste is used to things being fairly comfortable... but then so is he... and he forgets it... mostly.
<Kheldar> It occurs to you that the only reason this inn is even as nice as it is, is that it caters to people traveling through...
<Kent> "Sure. " right.
<Kent> Now Jannot moves to the door - does it lock? oh yeah... get a key from the fellow doling out food... is it decent?
<Kheldar> Yes, there is a pretty basic lock.
<Kheldar> Well, it's functional. You'd be concerned in the city, but on the other hand, theives are probably not such a problem out here.
<Kent> okay. Jannot opens the door and looks into the frame of the door - does the frame look like anyone's tried to force the door open? scrape marks, repaired sections?
<Kheldar> "Is anything wrong, Jon?"
<Kheldar> There don't seem to be any signs of forced entry.
<Kent> Jannot closes the door and looks up. "Nope. Everything looks okay. I thought to look at the door just to make certain that there wasn't anything wrong with the lock ... or if anyone had tried to break in through the door. Nothing there, apparently. "
<Kheldar> "Oh! Right. I wouldn't have thought of that."
<Kheldar> Suddenly, from downstairs, you hear an increase in the voices. Not yelling, but just like a few more people started talking at once.
<Kent> Hm. To think of it, Jannot was wearing a sword, did he happen to notice if anyone else in the room was also armed?
<Kheldar> You don't recall seeing anyone else with a weapon.
<Kent> Jannot will remove his sword and place it against the clothes rack - "That'd likely be more of a hinderance than a help if I ended up needing it... I'm going to go down for dinner... do you want to come or stay up here?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, I'm pretty hungry. Let's go eat."
<Kent> Jannot thinks, "You know, until I get a key for this room, maybe we should keep the money with us... just to be safe."
<Kheldar> actually... you can lock the door and shut it behind you when you leave. It's a spring latch.
<Kent> We just won't be able to open the door back up until we get a key... Um... This place seems pretty decent, right?
<Kheldar> true, true.
<Kheldar> Well.. in what sense? Seems nice and homey. Seems a little crude and such, but maybe not considering the state of the other buildings in the village.
<Kent> The people downstairs, do they seem ... friendly or unfriendly? well, we will still take the money in the purse with us, but perhaps leaving the money in the bread loaf is good enough.
<Kheldar> Oh yes, definitely a friendly atmosphere.
<Kent> "Let's go eat then, I guess, Anne."
<Kheldar> She nods and steps out with you.
<Kent> Jannot WILL lock the door and let it shut, even though it feels a bit odd...
<Kent> and they proceed downstairs.
<Kheldar> [making sure to cover all the details, eh? :) Oh, did I mention the wall around this village? :) ]
<Kent> well, Jannot is the nervous sort.
<Kent> Ah ha ha ha.....
<Kheldar> So, the two of you head down stairs.
<Kent> there's no wall, right? okay.... fiend...
<Kheldar> [yes, there's no wall]
<Kheldar> [you mispelled friend there... :)
<Kent> uhh.. oh. why I think you're right....
<Kent> An oversight, I'm sure...
<Kheldar> riiiight
<Kheldar> So, you guys head downstairs.
<Kheldar> It looks like there are about a half dozen more people in the common room now. The apparently newcomers are still standing, chatting with a couple people at one table.
<Kent> Jannot will only glance at them, what sort do they seem to be? Oh wonderful.human? All men? weapons?
<Kheldar> They look... hmm... well, they aren't farmers, and they aren't warriors, and they aren't lords, and they aren't... um... fishermen.
<Kheldar> Oh, yes, human.
<Kheldar> You couldn't really guess their occupation, but they do appear to have been traveling.
<Kheldar> All men. One has a sword, and is wearing some leather armor. He's standing more in the back of the group talking to the men at the table.
<Kent> hm.
<Kent> so they are travellers apparently. Lets continue to the dining area...
<Kheldar> They're talking to the people at the table like they know each other.
<Kheldar> You move over to the ... bar (I suppose you'd call it). There is an open doorway behind it that leads back into a kitchen.
<Kent> Is there anyone attending it?
<Kheldar> Not at the moment.
<Kent> How is Celeste doing?
<Kheldar> Celeste is ok. She's looking around at people at lot, but seems to be ok. In particular, she seems to be eyeing the newcomers with the swordsman in their midst.
<Kent> Jannot will move up close to Celeste, up to her ear, "Now, now, Anne, don't stare. It's not polite."
<Kent> and he draws back and smiles.
<Kheldar> "Sorry," she whispers back and quickly turns her attention elsewhere.
<Kheldar> A man suddenly comes out bearing a pair of plates with something steaming. He sets them on the counter, grabs a small hand bell and bangs it once against the counter.
<Kheldar> Then he turns to the two of you. "You two just get a room from Yentil?"
<Kheldar> He holds out a hand about... yea high, perhaps young girl height.
<Kent> Ha ha... yentil....
<Kent> "Oh, yes. we did. She told us it was 2 coppers for a room and dinner."
<Kheldar> "That's right." He pulls out a key ring and fishes through it.
<Kent> Jannot fishes out the purse and gets out the two copper that he has, handing them over to the man.
<Kheldar> He's a fairly large man, speaks somewhat loudly, and seems somewhat gruff.
<Kheldar> At last he pulls a key off the ring, slaps it on the counter next to your coins, and picks those up.
<Kheldar> "I suppose you're wanting something to eat now then?"
<Kent> Jannot Looks at him, "Thank you. Yes. What is the meal tonight?"
<Kheldar> He grins at you. "We've got ... beef, and... beef." He chuckles. "I suppose we could find some fish for you too. Might cost you a little more though."
<Kent> Jannot smiles, "Well, you have two of my favorite dishes, then. "
<Kheldar> He grins and gives a rough guffaw.
<Kheldar> "Right."
<Kent> "Do we just sit or ..."
<Kheldar> "You have a seat somewhere." During this conversation, Yentil (apparently) has showed up and grabbed the two plates from the counter, she heads over to drop them off at a table.
<Kent> Jannot nodds to the man and looks to Celeste, "Do you care where we sit, Anne?"
<Kheldar> She points, "Over there, next to the wall?"
<Kent> How big is the room anyways?
<Kheldar> The room has a fireplace at one end (currently lit, for lighting), and holds about... 8 tables.
<Kent> Where is the door and the counter... and the stairs?
<Kheldar> The doorway to the entry way (where the stairs and front door are located) are off on your right (from where you stand at the counter). To your left is the fireplace, located on the shorter of the two wall lengths.
<Kent> "Okay, good enough for me." we go sit.
<Kent> ... taking up the key of course.
<Kheldar> As you are heading to sit, one of the newcomers calls out to the man who gave you the key. "Kallick? We're going to stable there horses and then we'll be in. Put some plates together, will you?"
<Kheldar> Kallick waves them off, and the newcomers leave the common room.
<Kent> okay.
<Kent> Being a merchant himself, does Jannot see any signs that one of the party is likely a merchant?
<Kheldar> I'm not exactly sure what kinds of signs you might expect to see...
<Kent> Clothing style... perhaps jewelry.
<Kheldar> Hmm... Nothing stands out.
<Kent> okay.
<Kheldar> Jannot and Celeste have their seats.
<Kent> ... what wall was she pointing to?
<Kheldar> on the same wall as the counter, down nearer to the fireplace was an empty table.
<Kent> ok.
<Kheldar> It doesn't take long before your meals are ready, and Yentil delivers them.
<Kheldar> "Do you care for a drink?"
<Kheldar> "Kellick brews a pretty fine ale..."
<Kent> Great. I'm sure that the drinks are extra, eh? Jannot looks to Celeste, "Do you want something?"
<Kheldar> She whispers back, "Just something wet, watered ale..."
<Kent> Jannot looks to Yentil, "Sure, just two ... soft-drinks."
<Kent> [that ok? :) Not asking for a pepsi or anything.]
<Kheldar> Right, essentially water with a little additives to keep you healthy.
<Kent> Right.
<Kheldar> She smiles, leaving the two of you alone briefly until she returns with a pair of mugs, which she sets down in front of you.
<Kent> Jannot looks at her and smiles thanks, picking the drink up to have some.
<Kheldar> She smiles back and leaves you alone.
<Kent> Jannot takes a swallow and places the mug back down. How near are they to other people?
<Kheldar> Oh, there are a pair of farmers (apparently) at the next table over from yours. They looked you over when you sat down, gave a friendly nod, then minded their own business.
<Kent> Good enough. Jannot looks at Celeste and gives her a smile and tries to communicate through expression that she should relax a little.
<Kheldar> She gives a little grin, and begins to eat.
<Kent> Good enough. digging in to the beef...
<Kheldar> It's pretty good actually. A hearty meal, with potatoes and some vegetables mixed in.
<Kent> good.
<Kheldar> Ah, a little later, eight men come in through the front door, and take a table in the corner on the other side of the fireplace. Make that two tables, since one is not quite enough. They shove two together, and soon, Yentil starts bring out food and drinks.
<Kent> okay. then they'll likely be there for a while after Celeste and Jannot finish their food.
<Kheldar> Likely so. They're relaxed, talking and joking. They're also a little loud, and you gather from what you overhear that they're headed south.
<Kent> DOH!
<Kent> Oh well.
<Kent> Maybe they have news of the road North.
<Kheldar> Celeste keeps pretty quiet. Eating, and looking at you.
<Kent> Jannot will continue eating. Jannot will try to make light conversation with Celeste, "So sweetie, the room looked nice enough. I hope it's more comfortable than that place last night."
<Kheldar> She nods.
<Kent> Hm. Jannot chuckles. I guess I'll have to ask her about this reticence upstairs...

<Kheldar> Next week the two of you (presumably) head out into the jungle.
<Kent> Yeah... jungle... this jungle - are there tigers and poisonous snakes and pigmies and such?
<Kheldar> :) There can be... Of course, there might also be elves too...
<Kheldar> heh... of course, the jungle is a little thinner down this close to the sea...
<Kent> Huh... Jungle elves... right. Okay. But really, Jannot would likely know of animals in the near jungled areas... What are the likely dangers facing our two adventurers?
<Kheldar> Yes, some. From your business dealings. There are tigers and the like. Fortunately, you're still relatively close to inhabited areas, so most of the more concerning animals are prone to avoid humans. Further inland might be a different story.
<Kent> Allright. I suppose that's something to worry about next week.

Next time... A Night at the Inn

AStott

First Post
Session 12: A Night at the Inn

<Kheldar> As I recall, you'd just finished dinner.
<Kheldar> Or were finishing dinner. The travelers were sitting at another table, and Celeste was not in a talkative mood.
<Kent> okay. I imagine that the fellows that came on what appears to be a trade caravan of sorts are going to hang out for a time.
<Kheldar> That might make sense.
<Kent> If they're still eating and carousing... then Jannot looks over to Celeste. Is she still eating?
<Kheldar> Yes.
<Kheldar> Finish up dinner and head upstairs, or do you have anything in mind?
<Kent> Ok... um... Well, Jannot waits until they're both done eating.
<Kheldar> Right. The group over at the other table seems to be enjoying themselves. You'd guess they're enjoying some real food after a stretch of traveling.
<Kheldar> After a bit, the two of you have both finished eating.
<Kent> After finished eating, and Celeste is done eating, He'll go ahead and go upstairs to talk to Celeste a little bit.
<Kheldar> Right. The two of you head up.
<Kent> After entering and lighting a candle (since it's dark) He approaches Celeste. "so, did you enjoy dinner?" He's just trying to get her to start talking.
<Kheldar> "It was ok. I'm just nervous Jannot... I'm afraid people may be looking for... you."
<Kent> Jannot nodds in affirmation to her. "That's a very valid concern. But I don't think that we need to be that worried about it just yet. For example, "Jannot sits down on the bed to relax a little, "did you notice that caravan of people that came in?"
<Kheldar> She nods and sits down on the bed next to you.
<Kent> He goes on, "Well, they were talking quite a bit and I overheard that they were coming from the North. Now that means that they haven't been through Zuqar so they won't likely be aware of the situation in Zuqar, let alone looking for us." He pauses to let her absorb it.
<Kheldar> "Yes, but what if the guards in Zuqar are asking about us? They're sure to remember us, aren't they?"
<Kent> Jannot smiles. "Well, maybe, but the city guard are looking for me, not a couple of newlyweds moving north to live near family. Right?"
<Kheldar> "Well, I suppose. I'll still be happier once we get further away from Zuqar."
<Kent> "Yeah, so will I. However, I think that we should talk to them to at least get a feel for what the road North is going to be like for us. And if I go by myself, then a single man travelling might be more in line with any questions that the city guard might ask. If you come with me then that's like... misdirecting their stories... or memories. What do you think?"
<Kheldar> She straightens up just a little. "Ok, Jon. I'll be you loving wife for the evening."
<Kent> Jannot smiles. "Excellent." He stands up, a little tickled by the situation, but he gets over himself.
<Kent> "Lets go down then, and see what the nice men from the north can tell us." and he offers her his arm as he opens the door.
<Kheldar> She stands and takes your arm gracefully.
<Kent> Jannot's liking this... and they head down the stairs.
<Kheldar> Things are essentially unchanged since you left.
<Kent> Jannot looks over the group of guys, are they in the middle of eating or are they finished and just carousing now?
<Kheldar> Oh, they're essentially still eating, but it's eating and talking and laughing and such, not serious eating.
<Kent> Is there a stand-out leader?
<Kheldar> Not particularly so, although the man who addressed Kallick might be a likely suspect.
<Kheldar> Celeste, walking closely by your side stumbles over something on her way across the room and clutches at you to keep from falling. She gives you a quick embaressed smile.
<Kent> Jannot will walk over toward the fellow with a congenial smile. Jannot chuckles and looks back, to see what she stumbled on.
<Kheldar> Looks like she clipped a chair or something. Harmless, but inconvenient.
<Kent> okay. Nothing then.
<Kent> Jannot does continue to the fellow.
<Kheldar> [someone made a crit failure on a certain roll...]
<Kent> [HA!]
<Kheldar> doh!
<Kent> what kind of skill roll was that? Walking? Hm.]
<Kheldar> [I'm not saying anything except she was doing her best to play her part.]
<Kheldar> As you draw near the table, a couple men look up at you and nod pleasantly. There are eight of them there as you might recall.
<Kent> Jannot will address one of them. "Excuse me, but did I hear correctly that you came travelling the road from the North?"
<Kheldar> The one you guessed as the leader replies. "That's right." He nods to Celeste. "Ma'am".
<Kent> Does Celeste respond at all?
<Kheldar> You presume so, catching a smile and some movement out of the corner of your eye.
<Kent> "Great, well, my wife and I are travelling up to some of her family and I was wondering what the road was like."
<Kheldar> "Well, we did have a spot of trouble at one point south of Lagan."
<Kheldar> "We were jumped by a hungry pack of felots, but we managed to drive them off."
<Kheldar> Felots are a large member of the feline family.
<Kheldar> "Other than that, we didn't really have any problems. Did you come through Zuqar?"
<Kent> Jannot nodds. "Yes. the city seemed a bit... uptight. They've turned to questioning everybody about their business and such. I think that there's been problems."
<Kheldar> The man turns to one of his fellows and raises and eyebrow at him, then turns back to you. "We'd heard of some problems there, but weren't really sure what to make of the stories. Do you think it's anything serious? Or just temporary?"
<Kent> Jannot shrugs his shoulders. "I'm not sure. But it seemed like they had at least twice as many guards on the streets than was necessary... and their uniforms looked different." Jannot lets them suck on that for a bit.
<Kheldar> He thinks for a bit. We brought some fine pottery with us, but if there's some kind of disturbance, perhaps we'd better bypass Zuqar and move on to Illan or Choco... What do you think?"
<Kent> Jannot honestly considers it. "Well, the city is still a city. I'm sure that pottery will be just as marketable now as ever."
<Kheldar> He nods, but doesn't seem completely convinced.
<Kent> He adds, "Though the populace did seem a bit on edge. It's really your call."
<Kheldar> "Of course. I think I'll keep my eyes open."
<Kheldar> "Are you two traveling with anyone?"
<Kent> Jannot looks around a bit. Are there any open places at the table?
<Kheldar> Nope. In fact, they had to make room for an extra chair or two to fit everyone around.
<Kent> Jannot shakes his head. "No, we're travelling alone. I was a bit disappointed when I heard you were heading south rather than North... Do you know of anyone also travelling North?"
<Kheldar> He shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. We're in this on our own."
<Kheldar> He looks you over, and then shrugs. "I suppose you might be able to take care of yourself, but if you'd like some friendly advice, it might be wise to wait until another group comes up this way..."
<Kent> Jannot agrees with the fellow, "Yeah. you're likely right about that. Tell me this, were you travelling at foot pace or horse pace?"
<Kheldar> He grins at you. "Walked the whole way from Miraj, we did. And let me tell you, it'll be nice to sleep in a halfway decent bed tonight."
<Kent> "How long will it take on foot to get to Shershel?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, we left three mornings ago from Shershel."
<Kent> "Great. well, thank you for the information. Is there anything else that you think we might need to know heading that way?"
<Kheldar> He shrugs, "Not really. Thanks for the tip about Zuqar."
<Kent> Jannot smiles. "Sure thing. Hope your trip proves safe and profitable."
<Kheldar> He nods in thanks.
<Kent> Janniot turns ad heads back up to the room.
<Kheldar> Celeste seems a little more relaxed than before.
<Kent> After entering the room and shutting the door, Jannot will look back to Celeste. "See my dear Anne, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He smiles and sits down again on the bed.
<Kheldar> She smiles in response, "No, you were right. It wasn't that bad." She gives a big yawn.
<Kent> Oh yeah. Jannot remembers. she's going to get a better nights sleep than he is.
<Kheldar> especially if you stay awake all night dreaming... :)
<Kent> Well, Jannot stands up and goes over to the ... heh... sack of belongings and pulls out the book that they were reading through. Does it happen to be his favorite book? You know, the one about the dwarves and elves teaming up to battle that strange human city?
<Kheldar> Yes, I recall the book. I'm not sure, your call, I'm not positive that you'd use that for teaching purposes, but whatever...
<Kent> Excellent.... err... hm. Sure. That's his favorite, so that's the one he'd use.
<Kheldar> Ok.
<Kent> He picks up the book and turns to Celeste. "So... what do you think?"
<Kheldar> She looks at you and the book and sits down on the bed. "I don't know, I'm kind of tired tonight."
<Kheldar> [heh]
<Kent> DOH!
<Kent> Jannot hangs his head but smiles. "Allright. it's up to you. I'll read a while before sleeping tonight regardless."
<Kheldar> "It's been a long day of walking Jon. And tomorrow will be long too, if we're going to leave. We both need sleep I think."
<Kent> How late is it really?
<Kheldar> Oh, it's probably a few hours after sundown.
<Kent> OH? I didn't think it was that late. Hm.
<Kent> "Yeah, likely you're right." and with that Jannot places the book on the night stnad and moves to pull the blankets out of the sack and make a comfortable-er spot on the floor.
<Kheldar> She "putters" around a bit, then, "Jon, would you mind giving me a moment?"
<Kent> Jannot looks at her. "A moment?" He looks confused.
<Kheldar> She waves you towards the door. "I'll call you back in a bit."
<Kent> Understanding dawns on his face. "Oh, okay. Sure. I'll actually take this opportunity to ask about a bath."
<Kheldar> She nods.
<Kent> Jannot proceeds out the door and make sure that she locks it behind him. He then goes down stairs and asks Kellick ... or the nice barmaid about a bath.
<Kheldar> You spot Yentil first. She gives a somewhat apologetic smile. "I'm afraid not, sir. Although we could probably find something to make do if you would like.."
<Kent> "No that's okay. Thank you." and with that Jannot goes back up to the room.
<Kent> Jannot will knock on the door softly ad call in. "Anne? can you let me in?"
<Kheldar> "Just a second, Jon." You hear some movement inside the room.
<Kent> Man, he thinks, how much time does she need?
<Kheldar> Pretty soon, "Ok, Jon, you can come back in."
<Kent> He tries the door.
<Kheldar> It's still locked, of course. You have the key, of course.
<Kent> Thought so. Oh. I didn't realize that. Jannot enters and locks the door behind him once inside.
<Kheldar> Celeste is tucked into the bed, with a content smile on her face. The blankets on the floor are turned back for you.
<Kent> Jannot will look at her for a second and wonder to himself why she'd be so content now... strange.
<Kheldar> "Oh Jon, this is so much better than last night." She grins.
<Kent> HM!
<Kent> Jannot smiles and looks at her. "Yeah. I have to agree. There'll be fewer tree roots digging in to you..."
<Kheldar> [better hope the neighbors don't overhear... :) ]
<Kent> [they ARE newlyweds...]
<Kheldar> :) Ok, moving on...
<Kent> [aww... so we have to?]
<Kent> After a moment Jannot will move over to the blankets on the floor. "Thanks for arranging them for me." Though he does kinda wish that the bed were ... an option.
<Kheldar> "Thanks for letting me have the bed, Jon." She smiles sweetly at you.
<Kent> Jannot laughs. "Now, how could I say no to that smile?" And he moves ... is there a chair in the room?
<Kheldar> Nope.
<Kent> how convenient. Jannot will look around. Is there any indication of any clothing that she may have removed?
<Kheldar> Not that you can see.
<Kent> Hm. Not even shoes? :)
<Kheldar> Nope.
<Kent> well, Jannot will sit on the floor and take his shoes and shirt off. setting them aside. "I asked about a bath, but they don't have any facilities... can't say that I'm surprised really."
<Kheldar> "Unless you count the horse trough?" She giggles.
<Kent> Jannot chuckles. "Well, you're in a fine mood now aren't you?"
<Kheldar> She yawns again.
<Kent> Jannot shakes his head amd moves to blow out the candle.
<Kheldar> She smiles up at you. "Good night, Jon."
<Kent> Before blowing it out, it does occur that his sword should be on the floor near him while he sleeps. Just in case.
<Kheldar> Right. Check.
<Kent> "Leaning over the candle so the light illumines his face he smiles at her once more and says, "Good night, Anne. sleep well." and blows it out. at which point he crawls onto the blankets to sleep.
<Kheldar> You fall asleep quickly, your body tired out from a long day of walking.
<Kent> I'd imagine so.
<Kheldar> You wake the next morning to light coming in the window. Nothing seems to have been disturbed. All is quite, and Celeste is still asleep.
<Kent> Jannot will rise and look out the window. what's the view like?
<Kheldar> The view is mostly of the jungle to the north. You can see parts of the village. There are some people up and about, doing early morning farm chores and the like.
<Kent> Jannot will re-dress and relax a little while by reading a bit.
<Kheldar> A bit later, you hear some movement, and Celeste stirs a little, glancing out the window.
<Kent> Ah yes... did she shift while she slept at all? ;)
<Kheldar> [dirty man]
<Kent> [no... just a man]
<Kheldar> [oh, right]
<Kent> :p
<Kheldar> Sorry to disappoint, but she's still well tucked in.
<Kent> of course. Of course.
<Kent> As she stirs, Jannot will close his book and watch her.
<Kheldar> She shifts in bed a bit, then turns over and spots you. Then smiles and says sleepily, "Did you sleep well?"
<Kent> "I suppose so. It's no worse than the place we stayed the night before." and he smiles. "You?"
<Kheldar> "Oh, I slept so well. I think I'm actually ready to walk some more."
<Kent> "That's good, because I mean to do quite a bit of it today." Jannot stands and puts the book in the sack. "Um... I guess you'll be wanting some more... privacy, " he pauses, " so I will go downstairs and ask about a breakfast. How's that sound?" He approaches the bed and squats down.
<Kheldar> "Thanks, Jon. That sounds good."
<Kent> "Anything else?"
<Kheldar> "Could you see if you can find some water and a bowl?"
<Kent> He smiles. "Sure. One wash Basin. I'll try to find one." He stands and makes his way out and down the stairs.
<Kheldar> Actually, outside the room, you do find an empty basin with a pitcher of water...
<Kent> "Hm. well, what do you know?" Jannot grabs the bowl and pitcher and turns around to present his prizes to Celeste.
<Kheldar> "My, that was quick!" She grins. "Just leave them there on the table."
<Kent> Jannot makes his way over to the table ponderously... "And, when, pray tell, may the help wash and bathe , my lady?" he grins.
<Kheldar> "After all your chores are done." She grins.
<Kent> "Uh huh..." he mutters as he places the implements on the table. Making his way to the door he pauses and turns back to her. "I could help, you know." He smiles real big.
<Kheldar> "Shoo!" She motions you out the door.
<Kent> Jannot laughs and goes downstairs to find out about breakfast.
<Kheldar> [Sorry, the dice were not in your favor... or something]
<Kent> [Heh! I wasn't thinking that you'd even SPARE the dice for that one... lol...]
<Kheldar> [You never know...]
<Kent> [that IS the truth...]
<Kheldar> [...yeesh, like your intentions aren't obvious...]
<Kent> [so MANY songs come to mind... never mind.]
<Kheldar> You make your way downstairs.
<Kent> So... who is attending the dining area this morning?
<Kheldar> Well, you find an older woman scrubbing the floor. Other than that... you don't see anyone.
<Kent> Jannot clears his throat. "Excuse me, where do I ask about breakfast?"
<Kheldar> She looks up... "Oh, hang on a second, I'll find Kallick. I think he can get you something." She gets to her feet and heads back into the kitchen area.
<Kent> Jannot will mosey on over that direction and take in the sights of the dining room.
<Kheldar> Pretty soon, you hear sounds of activity in the kitchen, and the woman comes back out. "Kellick is making some breakfast for you and the lady. It won't take long."
<Kent> The place is nice and (mostly) clean. There is early morning sunlight coming in through the windows
<Kent> "Oh, it'll be a few minutes I think. She's washing up and such." he says and smiles.
<Kheldar> "He said to mention that you'll need to have 5 tin handy for the breakfast." She moves back to her work.
<Kent> "Thank you. I appreciate it." and he nods to the woman and makes his way back up to the room.
<Kent> Do you have the amounts and locations of our money handy?
<Kheldar> Of course.
<Kent> Of course. :)
<Kheldar> :) You currently have (not in the loaf) 1s 2b.
<Kent> Jannot makes his way to the room and almost decides not to knock, but does...
<Kheldar> You hear from inside, "Is breakfast ready?"
<Kent> "Uh, well, it'll be ready in a few minutes... can I come in?" he says quietly.
<Kheldar> "Do you need something?"
<Kent> "Well, I'd like to clean up a little myself. Also breakfast won't be free..."
<Kheldar> "Oh... Just give me a little longer. I'm almost done."
<Kheldar> [women and getting ready... yeesh]
<Kent> "okay."
<Kent> Jannot stands there, thinking to himself that there needs to be a way that they can try to seem more like a married couple to anyone watching... meaning that a husband wouldn't be waiting OUTSIDE while his wife were
<Kheldar> :) Very true...
<Kheldar> [maybe the wife is mad at you...]
<Kent> Are there any other customers or whatnot within sight? Wouldn't want to be seen standing outside the door... wow, no excuses...
<Kheldar> Nope. The other doors are shut.
<Kent> Jannot waits.
<Kent> "Honey, the food will get cold..."
<Kheldar> After what seems like... FOREVER! The door opens and Celeste is there, wearing something different from yesterday, her spare set of clothing that she brought.
<Kheldar> "You're always in such a hurry, Jon."
<Kent> "Well, like I always say, the world wont turn itself." He grins and holds out his arm for her.
<Kheldar> She locks the door, pulls it shut and takes your arm.
<Kent> "Hey, do we have some money to pay for breakfastr?"
<Kheldar> She hands to your the purse she'd brought with her from the room. "There should be plenty."
<Kent> Jannot looks inside, is there something small in there? Good. Jannot smiles and goes down to the eatery.
<Kheldar> Well, you've got a silver and two bronze... Easy enough for Kellick to change for a bronze I'm sure.
<Kheldar> When you get down there, the older woman is no longer around, but Kellick is lounging in the doorway to the kitchen. "Ah, you two are up and ready to go eh? Your breakfast should be ready in a moment. If that is..." He taps the counter significantly.
<Kent> Janot smiles to him and pulls out a bronze and places it down
<Kheldar> Kallick picks up the coin and tucks it in a purse, pulling out and counting nine coppers and 5 tin. for you.
<Kent> Jannot gladly accepts and puts the change inthe purse. Then he picks a table out that has a view of the road.
<Kheldar> Kallick glances back in the kitchen briefly.
<Kheldar> He calls out to you. "You two headed out this morning?"
<Kheldar> Celeste seats herself at the table and waits for you.
<Kent> Jannot turns back to him. "Yeah, we thought so." Jannot steps closer over to him. "Do you know of anyone else travelling north that might consider travelling with us?"
<Kheldar> "Naw, not specifically, but we usually get someone every couple of days..."
<Kent> "Okay. well, couldn't hurt to ask."
<Kheldar> He shrugs and turns and goes back in the kitchen. You hear some clattering around back there.
<Kent> Jannot turns back toward Celeste and makes his way to the table, seating himself.
<Kheldar> She smiles at you, and goes back to looking out the window.
<Kent> Is there anything happening outside?
<Kheldar> Other than the normal early morning village things, nope.
<Kent> "I was hoping that there might be some other people travelling North that we could travel with... safety in numbers you know, but it may just be us."
<Kheldar> "If we could trust them..." She gives you a little bit of a forced grin.
<Kent> Jannto looks at her and smiles a little. "I'm not quite convinced yet that everyone in the world is out to get us, Anne. On the contrary, I think that most people are normal, just like you and me..."
<Kheldar> "Jon," she says quietly, "There's a GOD after you. I don't think he'll give up easily..."
<Kent> Jannot's smile fades away. He looks over toward the kitchen. Anyone?
<Kheldar> [wake up call... heh]
<Kheldar> Nope, no one.
<Kent> "You're right of course. I haven't forgotten. But if he were that powerful, with that much of a potent reach, would we have been able to escape notice this long? I'm not all that sure what to think of things, but I think that Qaran will also help us along as well."
<Kent> Jannot tries to talk in a hushed voice but still look comfortable and not... furtive.
<Kheldar> "I suspect that Qaran must have been protecting... us. But, what if this Kyten has a longer arm then Qaran..." She too keeps her voice low.
<Kent> Jannot shrugs. "One thing though. Not sure that it matters, but since we know what sort of ... individuals we're talking about, I think it's best that we not use ... their names."
<Kheldar> She nods. "I suppose you're right... You... don't think I'm being silly, do you?"
<Kent> Jannot gives her an uncomfortable half grin. "No, I'm afraid that you're probably being just careful enough. Maybe I needed to be brought back to the reality of the situation..."
<Kheldar> Kallick shows up in the kitchen doorway carrying a pair of plates.
<Kent> Jannot looks to the food with a smile.
<Kheldar> Kallick makes his way over to the table and sets the plates down, probably just a little more firmly than needed. "Enjoy." He heads on back towards the kitchen.
<Kheldar> The plates carry a hearty breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, gravy... Pretty tasty stuff.
<Kent> ... um. knowing that words are always chosen carefully... what was his mood?
<Kheldar> :) Actually, pretty much what you've come to expect from him. He seems to be perpetually short tempered with everyone... :)
<Kent> oh. okay.
<Kent> Allright. While a little unsettled, Jannot relaxes a little and eats... perhaps a little faster than normal.
<Kheldar> and... you FALL OVER DEAD! err... kidding.
<Kent> You are so N O T funny.
<Kheldar> The meal goes by quietly as the two of you finish up the meal quickly.
<Kent> After finishing the meal, Jannot looks over to Celeste and says, "Anne, why don't we get an early start on the day."
<Kheldar> She nods. "Sounds good to me." She finishes up the last of her food.
<Kent> Jannot leaves a tin tip for Kallick and makes his way up to the room.
<Kheldar> Celeste follows you up. She's already folded up the blankets and set them on the bed.
<Kheldar> She goes about checking the two sacks to make sure everything is ready to go.
<Kent> Jannot will look through the food and try to figure out how much food they have.
<Kheldar> Looks like you've got enough to last you through lunch tomorrow.
<Kent> yikes. Need food.
<Kent> "Okay, we need to buy 3 days of food for our travels up to Shershel. Don't let me forget on the way down." he smiles as he belts on his sword and makes sure that nothing was left behind. Guess he'll bathe some other time.
<Kheldar> She nods, hands you the heavier sack, and takes the other herself.
<Kent> Jannot jokingly Acts like the bag weighs a ton, grunting and dropping the bad to the floor.
<Kheldar> She grins a little. "Short honeymoon, huh? Shall we go?"
<Kent> "Yeah, but then again I hear that the honeymoon never really ends." He gives a half smile picking the bag up and moving to the door.
<Kheldar> "Certainly not for us if we're going to perpetually be 'newlyweds'."
<Kent> Jannot raises an eyebrow and just continues...
<Kheldar> As you guys head down the stairs, she tells you, "Don't forget to get some food for the trip..."
<Kent> Okay. gathered things... down the stairs... He smiles back at her. "Haven't forgotten yet, sweetie."

<Kheldar> Ok, I think I'm going to stop there because I have a couple questions.
<Kent> Hm.
<Kent> Okay.
<Kheldar> First of all, I think for future sessions we'll try to move along a little more and spend less time... uh... flirting... :) Believe it or not, developing a relationship with Celeste is not the main point of this story... As much as Jannot would like.
<Kent> gr.... Oh... I know, but ... well, it seems like what he'd do, but Fine. Jannot will resign himself to a ... hopefully less eventful next couple of days of travel.
<Kheldar> Which leads into my second question... what are your plans with regards to Celeste... relationship-wise.
<Kheldar> Nothing says they have to be less... eventful, I just don't know that they all have to be roleplayed...
<Kheldar> Well, that and as fun as flirting with you goes... err... with your character that is... it can get... old. :)
<Kent> I know what you mean though. You have a storyline in mind and that pertains to other events that you want to happen... but if I dilly-dally with Celeste then I'm ... putting the storyline on the back-burner.
<Kheldar> Actually, I don't have any problems with you taking off from the story line to dilly-dally with Celeste, if that what Jannot wants to do. No problems at all. I just think we've spent plenty of detail recently on that aspect...
<Kent> Alright.
<Kent> Okay, you feel that that detail should be ... less detailed. I understand.
<Kheldar> Hang on, let me share with you part of an e-mail from/with Sareth...
<Kheldar> Sareth: Yes, I've been snickering with e-vil glee at the discomfort and squirming I picture going on about that. [the Relationship]
<Kheldar> Me: Squirming from who? :)
<Kheldar> Sareth: Go ahead. Tell me you have no trepidation whatsoever at the thought of having to handle the situation.
<Kheldar> Me: :) Actually, I've got no problems. I know exactly how I'll handle it.
<Kheldar> Sareth: "Congradulations, yer married. Ok, the honeymoon passes, and you find yourself on the road a week later..."
<Kheldar> Me: Something like that.
<Kent> Ha hah ha...
<Kheldar> Thought I'd share... It was funny.
<Kent> That's funny...
<Kheldar> My only point is that I really don't care to turn this game into a soap opera, if you get my drift. I'm getting close to having my fill of... stuff. :)
<Kent> well... okay. Fine. I'll try to be a little less persistent... Fine. Fine. I can live with that.
<Kheldar> Now, I recognize the situation, and realize that Jannot and her would not get any less "intense", I'd just like to move a little more of it into the background.
<Kheldar> Sorry if I disappoint... :)
<Kent> Well, to be honest, I really do enjoy interaction . How far into the Jordan Books are you?
<Kheldar> I'll keep it in mind and try to continue giving you the chance to interact with her in... interesting ways.
<Kheldar> I still haven't started the 4th book yet.
<Kent> Okay, you're plenty far along. I will freely admit that I enjoy the interplay of the characters that are 'interested' in each other. It just plain FUN!
<Kheldar> Oh, so do I, but that interplay is interspersed with other things happening too...
<Kent> Yeah...
<Kheldar> Anyway, back to my question... what are your intentions with Celeste...
<Kheldar> Has the thought of marriage entered his head at all?
<Kheldar> I mean for real... :)
<Kent> Okay. Jannot really has no real intentions. He's not going to try to persue ... much, in the middle of a travel on the road while fleeing an avenging God. However, he's never had a serious relationship with a woman so he's ... perhaps getting a little infatuated. Perhaps that's a little strong of a word... but. Marriage? No.
<Kheldar> Ah, ok.
<Kent> He barely knows her. They've been together for... what. 5 days? WHAT?
<Kheldar> Actually, almost 2 weeks I think.
<Kheldar> There was almost a week gap in there while they were cleaning up the shop and doing busy work.
<Kent> Oh yeah. right. THose days kinda melted together... so... ten days then?
<Kheldar> I'd have to go back and count. I want to do that sometime and put up a timeline on the web site...
<Kent> whatever. It took me about 3 weeks before I kissed my wife-to-be... so there's time yet.
<Kheldar> heh... we won't talk about me...
<Kent> /// of course she didn't live with me at the time...
<Kheldar> Of course, you also weren't... almost 30? when you met her...
<Kheldar> My wife thinks relationships move more quickly at older ages (not that she's here now, we were just talking the other day)
<Kent> HA! There's that too... BUt that just means that he's accustomed to ... hm.
<Kent> Hm. She said that?
<Kheldar> Plus, there's a lot to be said for saving each others lives...
<Kent> Yeah... I'm thinking about something that may or may not happen in the near future ... perhaps after the next ... stressful event.
<Kheldar> Heh... sounds like a... stage fades to black moment.
<Kent> Hm... I'll have to think about that ... :)
<Kheldar> Ok, I think I've got sort of a feel for where Jannot is coming from. I don't plan on roleplaying every day of their trip, but only highlights when something happens.
<Kheldar> I think we'll have to assume that they'll continue sharing with each other and opening up...
<Kheldar> Right, that's assumed.
<Kent> Yeah. that sounds fine... though Jannot WILL want to do things like... teach her to read... and talk... and... that sort of thing.
<Kheldar> and stuff... :)
<Kent> HAAA Ha ha ha ha ....
<Kent> I don't forsee any big moves in the IMMEDIATE future. So breathe easy.
<Kheldar> Right. That's what I really wanted to know. The "infatuated" term is useful to me.

Next time... A Chill in the Jungle

Last edited:

Remove ads