[January ] What are you reading?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm in the middle of an "inspired by Lovecraft" anthology called Lovecraft Unbound, and partway through Odyssey by Jack McDevitt. I'm also listening to The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin book) as an audiobook.

Jack7

First Post
I'm in the middle of an "inspired by Lovecraft" anthology called Lovecraft Unbound, and partway through Odyssey by Jack McDevitt. I'm also listening to The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin book) as an audiobook.

You're doing capital on all fronts, far as I can reckon your bearing...

I'm currently slogging through The Silmarillion by Tolkien as my main read and will move onto Unfinished Tales after that.

Once done I will be reading God's War: A New History of the Crusades by Christopher Tyerman.

And interspersed between those I'm also reading The Atlas of Legendary Lands. It's a book on fabled lands throughout history and the maps that were drawn by explorers and philosophers from 250 BC right up to the mid seventeenth century. Here be Dragons indeed!

And that ain't too shabby neither...

coyote6

Adventurer
Kathy Reichs' Deja Dead.

The local B. Dalton's is closing in two weeks (leaving this city of 150k+ with zero bookstores), so everything was 50% off; between that and a sale on Amazon on Bernard Cornwall's Arthur novels, I picked up a score of books since Christmas.

Research for future adventure paths? ;)

---

I am reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.

Crothian

First Post
I'm now reading the Meaning of Night: A Confession by Michael Cox. It is victorian mystery/noir. It is very interesting so far.

Krug

Newshound
Finished Oishinbo: Sake and Oishinbo: Ramen & Gyoza. Both are very enjoyable books about Japanese food.

Have reserved Leviathan with the library and probably will read that soon.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Just finished the final Mistborn novel, The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson. I haven't been as excited about a series since I discovered Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Wow! Each book came with an unexpected ending!

It's been difficult to find something on par with that since, but I have moved on to reading an anthology of Clark Ashton Smith's stories. I think the dichotomy is a bit too large between Mistborn and the CAS stories . . . I'm close to putting the CAS stories down and finding a good epic again. It's like grinding gears. My brain can't make the change. ;)

I'm also digging into Fantasy Craft some more. I have Trailblazer on order from Amazon, should be here in two days. I'll be diving in to that when it arrives.

Remove ads