D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

Reynard

Legend
If Janelle Jaquays doesn't want me to use the term, then I won't. No-brainer.
I am not sure I buy it, at least as it is presented. Especially with all the "I invented it; it's mine" stuff going on in the post. Is it possible that he wanted to change the term so it would be free and clear to use in his new book?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This is an interesting situation that I read about today. It seems that if you use the (partial) name of a real person for a term, it's only fair to change it if they don't feel comfortable with that term. I'm familiar with what the term means and changing it to name it after yourself, is definitely a thing, but it doesn't really bother me in the greater scheme of things.

mamba

Legend
Yeah, what the heck? The actual OG designer who invented that style of dungeon design wants the name changed, so Justin Alexander decided to declare that it's now named after him? What the heck?
well, he came up with calling it jaquaying, so I guess he can call it whatever he wants, and he explains that rather than pick another designer, he chose himself. This way at least, there is no chance of that person objecting to his choice ;)

Reynard

Legend
I'm going to make a bold assertion: Having multiple pathways through a dungeon doesn't need a special term. Just don't turn your dungeon into a tube (like the Sunless Citadel) and you're good. Not everything needs to be turned into jargon.
Sure, but it is kind of nice to have easily understood concise terminology (even when it is not perect). "Megadungeon" is a ubiquitous term that has meaning but took a little time to get absorbed itno the broader community conversation.

So, assuming Jaquays actually does not want her name attached to the term, I propose we here at ENWorld have a dedicated thread with voting have everything that develops a new term that encapsulates the design ethos, without referencing Justin Alexander.

My initial thoughts on potential terms:
Warren style (as in, rabbit warrens)
Thracian style (for obvious reasons)
Dungeoneerism/ist (to tie it to her entrance into the industry)

Remove ads