Spelljammer Jeff Grubb was surprised by Spelljammer

So the lawsuit and the development started roughly at the same time. To me, it looks like if there was any chance of getting H&W's input on Dragonlance, it went up in smoke when they sued. I know Hickman consulted for Curse of Strahd, so I wouldn't be surprised if WotC started DL development and intended to get input, then the lawsuit started and they decided "Naw let's not, let's do it ourselves only."

An alternative theory is that WOTC cancelled Margeret and Tracy's book trilogy (despite Book 1# being written) because they had given them permission to write it before developing their new Dragonlance IP that the book contradicted.

Because they didn't bother to tell them they were making a new Dragonlance IP.

darjr

I crit!
An alternative theory is that WOTC cancelled Margeret and Tracy's book trilogy (despite Book 1# being written) because they had given them permission to write it before developing their new Dragonlance IP that the book contradicted.

Based on fevered dreams, I guess?

This is the most likely scenario, it's just the growing hubris at WotC driven by the massive success of 5e.

Based on fevered dreams, I guess?

I mean, more like the fact they cancelled their books before being lawsuited back into releasing them. Plus, the fact they have said the books have nothing to do with the new campaign setting.

This is less conspiracy theory than Bob is covered in blood and jill is dead in his apartment.

Based on what?

The fact they've said it's not related to the books that they had to be sued into releasing?

darjr

I crit!
I mean, more like the fact they cancelled their books before being lawsuited back into releasing them. Plus, the fact they have said the books have nothing to do with the new campaign setting.

This is less conspiracy theory than Bob is covered in blood and jill is dead in his apartment.

The fact they've said it's not related to the books that they had to be sued into releasing?
Read the lawsuit again.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Well, the books were cancelled, the Hickman's sued for 10 million dollars, and now the books are being released.

What exactly is YOUR argument?

I will say, although both sides have their points, we can't definitively prove either, so maybe it's just best to let it go.

Like, I believe there's probably at least a little tension between T&H and WotC, but I can't PROVE it, so it's not worth going to deep into it.

darjr

I crit!
Posted publicly by Jeff Grubb on that original post by Jeff Grubb.

Thanks, but I am actually not too bent out of shape about this. When I said I was surprised, it was because I usually get questions from fans about when Spelljammer is coming back, and I had no clue. I want to see what they do with it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.38.36 PM.png

Last edited:

Remove ads