• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Jeremy Crawford Discusses Details on Custom Origins

So. Ya wanna build a vampire race?
Check the Ixalan PDF

Vampire Traits
Your vampire character has the following traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma
score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score
increases by 1.
Age. Vampires don’t mature and age in the
same way that other races do.
Alignment. Vampires might not have an innate
tendency toward evil, but many of them
end up there. Evil or not, their strict hierarchies
incline them toward a lawful alignment.
Size. Vampires are the same size and build
as humans. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Thanks to your heritage, you
have superior vision in dark and dim conditions.
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of
you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as
if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in
darkness, only shades of gray.
Vampiric Resistance. You have resistance
to necrotic damage.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write
Common (if it exists in your campaign) and
Vampire.
Bloodthirst. You can drain blood and life
energy from a willing creature, or one that is
grappled by you, incapacitated, or restrained.
Make a melee attack against the target. If you
hit, you deal 1 piercing damage and 1d6 necrotic
damage. The target’s hit point maximum
is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic
damage taken, and you regain hit points equal
to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target
finishes a long rest. The target dies if this
effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
Feast of Blood. When you drain blood with
your Bloodthirst ability, you experience a surge
of vitality. Your speed increases by 10 feet, and
you gain advantage on Strength and Dexterity
checks and saving throws for 1 minute.

There you go mate. Ya got yar vamp. T'was easy to do ain't it?

Again, anything can be done and undone by the setting. Going for specifics outside the PHB is useless and pointless. The fixed Racial ASI are there to reinforce tropes and help playing both for and against type. The FR-ASI are a great tool that promotes diversity in builds and not the other way around. Starting with a 15 isn't that bad per see. It helps promote playing against type. When you have no types, then the race is only a matter of how you look. You have no struggle to play against type simply because nothing is holding you back.

Yes you can still play against culture and what not. But if there is no mechanical downside to do something, you have absolutely no merit on what you do. Grats, your dwarven fighter is a happy go lucky friendly guy who drinks water and likes elves. Where is the struggle in that? Ho... you're a bard? Hahem... not only do you play against type but you're also playing against culture. Now that is a change that has merits on its own.

Not that playing against culture can't be fun. It can absolutely be good. But you get no drawbacks in doing so. For me, it's kinda of a safety net in case the RP does not work, I can still be ok. Whereas going against type with fixed ASI is a wild and bold move that you'll have to work a lot to make it work. But one thing is sure, fixed ASI have always been good both for lore and tropes. They have been there since the 1ed. If something has worked out for so long, it must mean something. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ASI were not broken. But they fixed it anyway, and in so doing, broke it even more than what it was meant appearing to be. Check mountain dwarves and half-elves. It's gonna be hard to beat these.

Last edited:

Tolkien's elves would indeed not be a balanced PC race either, especially the Noldor. They're clearly just flat out better than humans, no question about it.

But I agree with your point, that deciding what stats are essential to represent certain being might be tricky, though using examples of beings that simply are good at everything really doesn't work.

I said earlier that I don't like subraces and would get rid of them, and have increased flexibility instead. So for example all elves would get +2 to dex, and then could choose to +1 to int, wis or cha, all orcs would get +2 to strength, and +1 to con or wis and so forth. (You can quibble about the exact stats chosen, but you get the idea.)
Yes, choosing a stat can be tricky. That is why lore and tropes are there for.
A floating +1 might have been the best compromise. But we're not even getting that. We're getting the BS rule of Tasha.

Remathilis

Legend
So. Ya wanna build a vampire race?
Check the Ixalan PDF

Vampire Traits
Your vampire character has the following traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma
score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score
increases by 1.

So we agree that all the vampire lore supports this ability score combo, right? Vampires make great bards, clerics, druids, paladins, sorcerers and warlocks. A vampire fighter or necromancer is "against type". When you think vampire, you think wise and charismatic.

Undrave

Legend
People are STILL up in arm about this? Geez... 'oh noes! All the races will be the same!' I'm sorry but I don't view that 'loss' as being worth enough to worry about.

Tolkien's elves would indeed not be a balanced PC race either, especially the Noldor. They're clearly just flat out better than humans, no question about it.

But I agree with your point, that deciding what stats are essential to represent certain being might be tricky, though using examples of beings that simply are good at everything really doesn't work.

I said earlier that I don't like subraces and would get rid of them, and have increased flexibility instead. So for example all elves would get +2 to dex, and then could choose to +1 to int, wis or cha, all orcs would get +2 to strength, and +1 to con or wis and so forth. (You can quibble about the exact stats chosen, but you get the idea.)
Yes, choosing a stat can be tricky. That is why lore and tropes are there for.
A floating +1 might have been the best compromise. But we're not even getting that. We're getting the BS rule of Tasha.

So we agree that all the vampire lore supports this ability score combo, right? Vampires make great bards, clerics, druids, paladins, sorcerers and warlocks. A vampire fighter or necromancer is "against type". When you think vampire, you think wise and charismatic.
Hey, not my pick you know. But settings my friend. Settings.

People are STILL up in arm about this? Geez... 'oh noes! All the races will be the same!' I'm sorry but I don't view that 'loss' as being worth enough to worry about.
Then why are you here? If you don't care, why the fuss?
I care.
Others care the other way.
But if you don't? Care to explain? I am gueninely curious.

Edit: Unless you are just mocking us...

I disagree. Elves in Middle Earth had amazing individual members who were renowned/ excelled in their respective fields (Fingolfin even managed to wound Morgoth seven times before the Dark lord killed him), but that doesn't make all ME Elves 'flat out better than humans', and most of that excellence is down to the fact that those great Elven Lords were all thousands of years old (and likely very high 'level').

They had many failings. Hubris, lack of drive caused by immortality etc.

I disagree. Elves in Middle Earth had amazing individual members who were renowned/ excelled in their respective fields (Fingolfin even managed to wound Morgoth seven times before the Dark lord killed him), but that doesn't make all ME Elves 'flat out better than humans', and most of that excellence is down to the fact that those great Elven Lords were all thousands of years old (and likely very high 'level').

They had many failings. Hubris, lack of drive caused by immortality etc.
Arrogance comes from beeing so above the rest. Even the lowest of the Noldor was better than the humans. Simarillion said so.
Immortality brings its own fallacies and faillings. It is a standard trope in fiction.

Oofta

Legend
Not sure why LOTR elves matter. I mean, yes, elves in D&D are obviously modeled at a high level after them. But it's been several versions since they were actually immortal and had no souls, they've never been as superior as LOTR elves.

But I have the same issue with trying to create LOTR elves or vampires as a D&D race that I do of mapping super heroes to D&D. Some things just don't fit, D&D isn't really designed to model The Hulk who can toss tanks around like frisbees any more than it tries to map the Noldor.

So I don't see why it matters.

Define 'better'.

A halfling carried and then destroyed what the mightiest of the Noldor and Edain could not even touch without being corrupted.
Plot armor is so powerful. It can even kill a god. (or make you uncorruptible in the case we're talking).
So find something else. The exception is not the rule.

And as someone said: "There's always an exception. Always."

Remove ads