Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall -- An Interview with the Creators

While set in 1920s Chinatown, in many ways Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall is a game for our current time. Players manage a family-run restaurant in the daytime while also having to fend off Jiangshi (Chinese hybrids of zombies and vampires) at night, causing stress to piles up and possibly turn them into Jiangshi.

While set in 1920s Chinatown, in many ways Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall is a game for our current time. Players manage a family-run restaurant in the daytime while also having to fend off Jiangshi (Chinese hybrids of zombies and vampires) at night, causing stress to piles up and possibly turn them into Jiangshi.

Jiangshi 6-16-20 Book Cover Mock-Up-01.jpg

Created by veteran game designers Banana Chan and Sen-Foong Lim, Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall is a tabletop RPG with board game elements for a more tactile feel. Both designers are well known for their work in both board games and ttRPGs. Chan, co-owner and co-founder of A Game and a Curry, has worked on everything from Terror Below and Sea of Legends to the recent Betrayal at Mystery Mansion. Lim is an award-winning card and board game designer who has also written scenarios for Kids on Bikes, The Curse of the House of Rookwood, The North Sea Epilogues, Gears of Defiance and more.

“Jiangshi slowly siphon the psychic energy from their victims, becoming more powerful as they do so. The Jiangshi are more akin to the zombies in The Walking Dead in that they represent an overwhelming force that keeps coming for the family,” said Lim.

That oppressive feeling melded perfectly with the 1920s restaurant setting. “Friends and families who grew up in restaurants always talked about: the grind. During the 1920s, and unfortunately still in 2020, racism was a major factor that affected immigrant families."

Banana Chan.jpg

“We wanted to focus on building a story about how stressful it is for a family to go through the events that they had to during the time,” added Chan. “The Jiangshi are in a way, a physical manifestation of the stresses — both with the oppression of the 1920s and having to run a small business.”

While a classic RPG with a GM, the designers came up with an elegant solution for how characters are affected by the stress.

“As the characters take on more and more stress or physical damage, the things that make up their character (their Skills, Facets, items that they carry, their Hopes and Dreams) get covered up,” explained Chan. “They are literally losing parts of themselves. Once all the slots have been taken up, they flip over all the cards to the Jiangshi side and now they have new Jiangshi powers. The restaurant works in a similar way, where it loses abilities and parts of itself when chores go unattended.”

“The goal was to give players who are unused to full 'theatre of the mind' style RPGs something tangible. The character sheet and the restaurant board act like player mats in most board games. The areas where abilities and items are listed get 'turned off' if a player is forced to place cards over them.” added Lim.

sen-foong lim.jpg

Jiangshi can be played either humorously or seriously. James Mendez Hodes wrote a section on how to play if you're not Chinese to create better understanding of the setting, especially when played seriously. Similarly, a section for GMs on how to handle the racism in the setting without condoning it helps. A customized X-card with art by Stephen Wu as a safety tool, and recommendations for incorporating Lines and Veils and Stars and Wishes for further safety keeps the game entertaining while providing insight into both the setting and the real-life stress immigrant families still endure.

Chan and Lim hope that Jiangshi serves several purposes, depending upon the audience. “For players coming from immigrant families, I hope that they get to play something that is cathartic and meaningful to them, while feeling seen,” said Chan.

Lim added, referring to all players, “I want them to understand, even at just the surface level, the amount of intergenerational conflict that goes on in many immigrant families who are trying to assimilate while retaining their cultural and ethnic identities in the face of racism. I want them to hopefully see themselves in these families, no matter where their ancestors come from.”

Jiangshi: Blood in the Banquet Hall is on Kickstarter now.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Sunsword

Adventurer
I read about this on their KS. Respectfully, I work at a family business and while it is rewarding I want to escape from it in my RPGs.

Additionally, I'm a bit perplexed about dealing with racism in an RPG. Again, I find that I play to escape the cruelties of an unjust and racist system. Just not my cup of tea.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I read about this on their KS. Respectfully, I work at a family business and while it is rewarding I want to escape from it in my RPGs.

Additionally, I'm a bit perplexed about dealing with racism in an RPG. Again, I find that I play to escape the cruelties of an unjust and racist system. Just not my cup of tea.

I dont mind having more serious themes like racism being dealt with in a creative way and I think it might be do able as a one off especially given the board game aspects which is helped by keeping it site focussed.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I dont mind having more serious themes like racism being dealt with in a creative way and I think it might be do able as a one off especially given the board game aspects which is helped by keeping it site focussed.

I respect that, however I'm not a big fan of RPGs that work like a board game by codifiying what the player and GM can do. I get that many people like that when you look at the success of Powered by the Apocalypse Games, its just not my cup of tea.

I have always roleplayed to escape and especially with the last few years here in the U.S. I need that escapism more and more. Racism is an important issue and the systemic racism are country is built on is the most important threat of the day (though the pandemic is also a huge threat, obviously). At this point in my life I'm most content getting together with friends, blowing off steam, and rolling some dice while killing monsters and taking their stuff. This subject while important is too heavy for me right now. And that is okay because the game is already doing great on KS and wish the creators well and hope the backers really enjoy it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I might not want to play a long campaign for the reasons that Sunsword states, but I enjoy one-shots and short campaigns with more tightly scripted narratives. Forcing yourself to play in a specific role or scenario can be a fun and even enlightening challenge. Actually, about the only games I've been buying outside of 5e have been games with unusual mechanics or specific, tightly-defined scenarios. I don't have time for playing in multiple sandboxes, but enjoy playing a strongly thematic or experimental one shot or mini campaign occasionally.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I respect that, however I'm not a big fan of RPGs that work like a board game by codifiying what the player and GM can do. I get that many people like that when you look at the success of Powered by the Apocalypse Games, its just not my cup of tea.

With that many reasons why you're not interested, I gotta say this one's probably not for you.

You should definitely play what you're comfortable playing!

That said, the 1920s milieu and the tight family concept are appealing to me. And I think the stress mechanic isn't a sticking ppint for many. Two of the bigger modern systems (Genesys and Forged in the Dark) are based around gaining and losing fatigue/stress...

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
This sounds haunting and and a real thinker.

Some people play RPGs to get away from real life.
Others play because they want to explore real life ideas in fantastical contexts.

Both are valid ways of enjoying an RPG.

Remove ads

Remove ads