D&D 5E Joke Material Components

How Do You Feel About Joke Material Components?

• Love Them.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Hate Them.

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 18.1%

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
So, this latest packet has reintroduced joke material components (nut shells for confusion, sesame seeds for passwall, a piece of straw for water breathing, etc.). What is your opinion on these? I hate them.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Are you objecting to material components in general, or just these ones?
Just the lame joke ones. I'm fine with a piece of iron for hold person and a cocoon for polymorph. I'm not fine with carrots for darkvision, or fur and amber for lightning bolt.

Last edited:

Ruzak

First Post
I always liked fur and amber, as well as bat guano. As a kid my limited understanding of science made these things seem somehow more real. I agree sesame seeds are a little much.

1of3

Explorer
I was always very partial to throwing tarts for Laughter. Most of the time though, we never talked about material components.

I don't think the game even needs to list any components, if at the same time the rules assume that you have a little bag containing any components, unless it is taken from you.

MarkB

Legend
There's nothing wrong with them as far as I'm concerned. In most cases (at least for arcane spells), the material component's relation to the actual spell is largely symbolic in any case, so I'm perfectly happy for that symbolism to be on the level of wordplay (for sesame seeds) or cultural association (carrots for night vision) rather than purely physical.

I do think wizards from different cultures and species would associate different items with such symbolism, and might use different components as a result, and I'd be fine with a player choosing other components (of equal value) for those reasons, but I'm also fine for the existing ones to be the default for most characters.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like material components and think they add character to spells. It can also serve to control usage with either rare or expensive consumable components.

Remove ads