D&D 5E Joke Material Components

How Do You Feel About Joke Material Components?

• Love Them.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Hate Them.

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 18.1%

vectner

Explorer
I love them, they add a little spice and tongue in cheek that helps with the levity at the table for those who are observant.

Tuft

First Post
They are so incredibly easy to ignore, and make almost no mechanical impact on the game unless one wants them to; they're basically just spice or flavor...:p

"The first rule of material comenents is not to talk about material components..."

The one thing worse than av bookkeeping bother is an ignorable bookkeeping bother.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The one thing worse than av bookkeeping bother is an ignorable bookkeeping bother.

If it's ignorable, in what way is it a bother? Use them. Don't use them. Have them "in story" but don't bother to have your players track them or, as DM, worry about whether they buy them or not...Make them a standard 5, 10, 15 sp "given"/auto-deduction whenever your PCs are in town...whatever. or don't worry about them at all/not have material components, even as an unspoken element, in your games.

*shrug* They're flavor for those that want them.

They're, frankly and literally, nothing for those that don't.

I'm not gonna begrudge them being in the descriptions, though I myself would probably never use them...certainly not enough to track them "No! You can't find an amber rod in this backwater village" is not how I play. But if other people want to, again, *shrug.*

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I dislike the joke components (but I don't play "beer and pretzels" style, as I play a more serious game). As always, though, play what you like :)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I like spell components because they are mechanically dense, put customization into the players hands, and the whimsy and inside jokes at the table are all bonuses. Yeah, not all jokes are funny to everyone. But it's good to promote having a sense of humor.

Raith5

Adventurer
I just find it strange (and maybe telling..) that they have time to add lines about material components like sesame seeds, leather thongs etc but dont have time add spells like Divine Glow, healing strike, enfeebling strike On pain of death, etc from the edition that MNBN.

pemerton

Legend
I don't like them.

B/X didn't have material components, and there's no evidence that it hurt the game.

For those who enjoy the "in joke" aspect of sesame seeds for Passwall, and the like, no one is stopping them introducing such stuff into their games (either as a GM's requirement for casting, or a player's narration of his/her PC's spell use). But I don't see how this stuff actually adds anything to the fundamental play of the game, especially from the point of view of a new player.

Starfox

Hero
I don't hate them, but I don't think the game should use them.

I think it should be a style option for each PC to use them or not (perhaps with a VERY minor cost not to). Paying a feat for it in 3.5 or Pathfinder is too expewnsive IMO.

Speaking as a method actor player here, I want wether I use them or not to depend on how my character is and works magic. I am a pseudo-sientific wizard? A bard dabbling in spells? A theurgist? Use them. Am I a miracle worker, or an intuitive bard, or a Chinese-style martial arts magician? Don't use them.

If they are a default in the game, their use or not becomes a question for the GM, and that will always leave some players dissatisfied, so I think the default assumption should be that they are not used. And if that is the default, why spend ink on them at all?

Remove ads