JollyDoc's Age of Worms (Updated 11/30, Epilogue!)

JollyDoc

Explorer
For right now, we're not changing anything. Hopefully everyone has learned a lesson about the over-use of such powerful magics, and a cold-war truce can be called.

Joachim

First Post
Quartz said:
Surely, at that level, there's a very effective counter to Disjunction? Namely Wish. Something along the lines of, 'I wish that that previously cast Disjunction had no effect'.

By precedent, this is not allowed in our game.

Quartz

Hero
Heh. Anyway, the main thing is that you all had a lot of fun. I certainly enjoyed reading about it.

Now, when are you starting Savage Tide?

Sabriel

First Post
Disjunction has a 1% chance per caster level to destroy (and affect those within) an Antimagic Field, a sixth level spell, so I think it quite reasonable that a Limited Wish could give that protection (10' emanation, 10 min/lvl) against Disjunction.

Wish and Miracle should similarly be able to provide (a larger, longer and/or more certain) protection.

Of course, if the first time you go "hey, I should devote some time to figuring out a defence against Disjunction" is when a Divine Ooze is lobbing one at you and your friends while its evil minions beat same to a pulp, you don't exactly have a lot of resources to spare figuring it out! :heh:

Ika_Greybeard

First Post
JollyDoc said:
For right now, we're not changing anything. Hopefully everyone has learned a lesson about the over-use of such powerful magics, and a cold-war truce can be called.

heh You pulled the trigger first we never used it untill it got used on us. Truce it is for now though

Schmoe

Adventurer
First, I'd like to thank JollyDoc and the League for a fantastic story hour. This story hour has been one of the primary things drawing me back to ENWorld every day. It's been a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing, everyone - what a great story!

Second, I think high level D&D, in general, starts to become a bit of a rock-paper-scissors game. There are just too many situations for my taste where encounters are a cakewalk with the proper spell (for example Death Ward), but nearly impossible without it. The buffs are too important for success. Disjunction simply illuminates the problem by making all buffs go bye-bye. I'm generally not a fan of "rock-paper-scissors" games, because I find it limits tactics and creativity.

In addition, at high levels a significant portion of PCs' power is tied to their equipment. When that is taken away, a PC will easily function as a character of 2 or more levels lower. I don't really have a problem with that, but then you need to consider any encounter that PCs will face without equipment (such as an encounter against an opponent with access to Disjunction) as having an EL of 2 or more higher than it would otherwise have. That's a pretty extreme effect for one spell. I can't think of any other spell that can have such a dramatic impact on an encounter. I generally think high-level play would benefit from something like the following:

1. Remove or re-design most or all "immunity" spells from the game
2. Balance most encounters so that they do not require a certain foil (buff) for success. Those that do should be story considerations (werewolves and silver, for example)
3. Revise Disjunction so that it does not destroy items in the area of effect

There are plenty of opportunities to destroy equipment without Disjunction, and I think the game could benefit from even more of them! But the blanket, wide-area effect of Disjunction is simply too much for a spell that can be cast 3+ times in any given encounter.

Ok, enough of my rambling. I'm looking forward to the Savage Tide! Anyone giving odds on Demogorgon?

JollyDoc

Explorer
I'm thinking of creating a new BBEG for Savage Tide...a four-headed horror with two demogorgon heads, one Adimarchus head, and one Kyuss head. I think I'll call him Demoadimarchakyussgorgon. Catchy, don't you think?

Schmoe

Adventurer
JollyDoc said:
I'm thinking of creating a new BBEG for Savage Tide...a four-headed horror with two demogorgon heads, one Adimarchus head, and one Kyuss head. I think I'll call him Demoadimarchakyussgorgon. Catchy, don't you think?

I would go with Adimarkyuss-disjunction-gorgon. :)

Quartz

Hero
I'm actually a great fan of Disjunction. It's great for getting rid of old stuff and for keeping PCs on their toes. They shouldn't be reliant on buffs.

Incidentally, when handling spells like Disjunction, I don't do rolls on the spot. I have a sheet of pre-rolled numbers and start a random way in, determined at the start of the session by the players. Players and characters shouldn't necessarily know which effects are still in place and which aren't and which items are no longer working and which ones still are.

But once again, bravo!

R-Hero

Explorer
JollyDoc said:

Only if we can bring back RustyIkeTarrasqueKikoHoushang and PyroPavelTitanAngelAliceHawk to take care of things... ;)

Remove ads