JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Eltanin

First Post
Sheesh, you guys really rip through it don't ye? I'm always bummed as a DM when the party goes through about 3 combats and the bad guys never even got to their turn in initiative. But it can still be pretty fun as a player to feel like you're part of an unstoppable wave sweeping obstacles from your path.

It's hard to tell from the Story, are you guys feeling challenged (other than hinted at difficulties keeping dwarves around)? Are you tempted to beef things up JollyDoc or are you sticking to the plan to keep it as written? You're certainly [anti-]heroic! Go Legion!

Thanks for letting us share the joy. It's joyful!

JollyDoc

Explorer
Eltanin said:
Sheesh, you guys really rip through it don't ye? I'm always bummed as a DM when the party goes through about 3 combats and the bad guys never even got to their turn in initiative. But it can still be pretty fun as a player to feel like you're part of an unstoppable wave sweeping obstacles from your path.

It's hard to tell from the Story, are you guys feeling challenged (other than hinted at difficulties keeping dwarves around)? Are you tempted to beef things up JollyDoc or are you sticking to the plan to keep it as written? You're certainly [anti-]heroic! Go Legion!

Thanks for letting us share the joy. It's joyful!

I am scaling the adventures, as per the sidebars in the adventures. I would say that the first part of the Bullywug Gambit has been challenging...even for eight PC's. You'll see :]

Eltanin

First Post
JollyDoc said:
I am scaling the adventures, as per the sidebars in the adventures. I would say that the first part of the Bullywug Gambit has been challenging...even for eight PC's. You'll see :]

Heehee. *Rubs hands together in glee* Sounds great! I can't wait to see how Nick's little gem plays out.

Agreed! This should be fun! :]

gfunk said:
2. Instead of doing the "right" thing in terms of revealing the identities of the Lotus Dragons' allies, Thrisp and Anwar decide to blackmail as many as possible.
Anwar was right: Thrisp is learning.

gfunk said:
But alas, we are again reminded of the very short lifespan of dwarven fighters in our campaign.
Don't tell us you've broken another one... ;)

JollyDoc

Explorer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Don't tell us you've broken another one... ;)

Beyond any hope of repair....

BTW...this update may be a little delayed, as we will not be playing again until the week after New Year's, so I have a bit more time....be patient. Good things come to those who wait ;)

JollyDoc

Explorer
Zaruthustran said:
So who is this new dwarf, the rescued guy? An NPC?

Yes, the rescued one. His player is the son of R-Hero, getting his feet wet for the first time playng D&D...don't know if this group is the nurturing sort for a newbie :]

Need_A_Life

First Post
Great Storyhour!

I finished reading your Age of Worms adventure path like an hour ago and downloaded your shackled city story hour just afterwards.

This is definitely a group I'd like to play with, though from what I saw in the AoW SH you're a bit to happy about optimization for my own comfort. Though, I bet that I could keep up the pace if I had to.

Glad to see the piracy spreading in the group already!

Hope that these characters end up rich, infamous, feared and sipping expensive liquors on sunbathed beaches. Or, at least Anwar ;)

Yes, the rescued one. His player is the son of R-Hero, getting his feet wet for the first time playng D&D...don't know if this group is the nurturing sort for a newbie
Only one way to learn the ropes of D&D.
I came to it straight from having played free-form roleplaying, so coming into a high-powered, high-levelled group of munchkins gave me a firm introduction to the mechanics.

I'll pass on a few quotes from my current group:
"Nono, you're going about this wrong. You see, this is flavor text, just skip straight to the prestige classes. Oh and check out the feats and spells while you're at it." [said as an example of the common rookie mistake]
"If your saves aren't a minimum of +30, you're dead in first round of combat" [we were level 18 IIRC]
*stunned silence* "You come in here and claim to know nothing about combat at these levels, you spend most of your time trying to find out exactly what your spells do, haven't used anything higher than 2nd level spells for five rounds and you could actually handle this guy on your own?" [at level 20]

Remove ads