JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

carborundum

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick answer - for some reason I never realized Death Knell was so nasty. Looking now I see the Death descriptor and could kick myself. We live and learn.
Can't wait for the next update ... again. I'll probably have two to read when I get back from hols.

Need_A_Life

First Post
Honestly, I think that quality had been dropping for the last few installments, and then you whip out such a masterpiece!

You're just teasing me, aren't you?

---

As to our intrepid adventurers, remember this: Rope Trick for ALL party members. Guests get to sleep outside. Makes it much harder to get ambushed (dispel magic will be a pain, though).

Also, where's that spell Mandi used from? I know Flesh to Stone, but Flesh to Glass? Seems far superior, really.

Probably Spell Compendium, right?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Wow! What a battle! Terrific writing, JD.

So: just what *were* those spells of Mandi's? And what are the mechanical effects?

Joachim

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
So: just what *were* those spells of Mandi's? And what are the mechanical effects?

Ok...so this is how that round of combat went down:

Normal Move Action - Jump through Rope Trick hole and land on my butt.

Swift Action - Activate Belt of Battle, spending all 3 daily charges to grant bonus move and standard actions.

Bonus Move Action - Stand up, AOO's missing me.

Bonus Standard Action - Limited Wish on demon to give it a -7 on its next saving throw.

Normal Standard Action - Final Rebuke on demon (enchantment effect, Will save or die DC 32 thanks to limited wish...even if it passed the save it would have been dazed for 1 round).

As soon as my action ends, take an immediate action to cast Celerity (they have clarified that you no longer need to 'hold' your swift action to use an immediate action later that round...it simply takes your swift for the following round).

Bonus Celerity Action - Cast Glass Strike on sorcerer (transmutation effect, Fortitude save or turn to glass except for his magic items, DC 27). His fly ends and he smashes on the ground.

So, in less than 6 seconds Mandi jumped down gracelessly from her rabbit hole (which would require a DC 32 check on a dispel due to her high caster level and ring of enduring arcana), activated a magic item, stood back up, cast two 7th level spells, cast a 4th level spell, and then topped it off with another 7th level spell...and was dazed for her trouble. End result was CR 12 and 13 monsters dead, and the pendulum swung back in our favor.

That was simply a gambit born of desperation...

Last edited:

JollyDoc

Explorer
Need_A_Life said:
Honestly, I think that quality had been dropping for the last few installments, and then you whip out such a masterpiece!

You're just teasing me, aren't you?

Sorry about that. In truth, Coming Storm was a linker, and pretty much straight dungeon crawl. Not that interesting to write about, but I didn't want to not update for almost a month. Also, Lightless Depths was not my favorite in the AP, basically because it lacked...er...depth. The guys managed to liven it up by bum rushing the pyramid and starting a battle royal. I like City of Broken Idols, and from this point on, the AP kicks into high gear, so hopefully the reads will stay interesting.

Joachim

First Post
The RPGA just posted the character sheets for the Open Championship PCs, and it got me to thinking....are any of the faithful readers here going to be at Gen Con this year? If so, maybe we will see y'all there.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Well I don't post here a lot but I read this SH nearly religiously because you folks are some great players and JD describes things so well. I'll be at GenCon all four days. Any chance you all would be running a game we readers could get in on? ;)

Joachim said:
The RPGA just posted the character sheets for the Open Championship PCs, and it got me to thinking....are any of the faithful readers here going to be at Gen Con this year? If so, maybe we will see y'all there.

I'll be there. Short-ish guy in a Mantis or Crab Clan kimono (ala L5R). Feel free to stop me and introduce yourself.

-TRRW

JollyDoc

Explorer
We're not going to be running anything this year, but Joachim and I will be (once again) defending our first place title in the Open. We'd love to meet up with some of our readers. Our team in the Open is Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and we'll be in the 8 am Thursday preliminary round. I'll be the one in the ATHF t-shirt with the Meatwad pin. I may also be sporting a baseball cap that says JollyDoc, or a t-shirt that says JollyDoc's Iron Man on the back. Hope to see ya'll there. Joachim will be the one with the vacant expression on his face saying, "Something smells funny."

Joachim

First Post
JollyDoc said:
Joachim will be the one with the vacant expression on his face saying, "Something smells funny."

Queue the Lynyrd Skynyrd...."OOOooo THAT SMELL!!"

Or, even better, queue the helicopter guy from "Apocalypse Now"...."I love the smell of [gamer armpit-funk] in the morning. It smells like...victory..."

Seriously, you know you've arrived once you are surrounded by people marinating in their own juices. It's like the GenCon rite of passage...if you can pass your Fort save against a low DC Stinking Cloud, you are golden for the rest of the Con.

Remove ads