JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

JollyDoc

Explorer
When the company departed the factory, it was near midnight, yet Scuttlecove seemed even more alive and bustling than it had in broad daylight. They spent the next several hours visiting various businesses and bars in the hopes of finding some information as to the identities of Tyralandi and Zimon. It was much more difficult ascertaining the latter than the former. As it turned out, Zimon Alenveer was a local merchant who had been recently executed by the monks of Dire Hunger at the paid request of the Kraken Society. No one seemed to know, or be willing to say why he came to the attention of the pirates, but it seemed a strange coincidence given his presumed relationship with Harliss. As for Tyralandi, the Legionnaires were all but laughed at when they asked the locals if they knew of her.
“Know of her??” one gaslight doxy cackled. “Why she’s only the Madame of THE most successful, and powerful brothel in Scuttlecove! Porphyry House? Ain’t you heard of it?”
It seemed that asking about Tyralandi in Scuttlecove was tantamount to asking if anyone in Shadowdale had heard of a wizard called Elminster. According to the rumors, Porphyry House had once been run by yuan-ti cultists of Demogorgon, allied with a similar group in town called the Seventh Coil. Five years past, a group of adventurers managed to defeat the cult and prevent the spread of a dangerous new drug called Demon’s Breath. They accomplished this with the help of Tyralandi, a half-fiend nymph who made no secret of her devotion to the demon prince Graz’zt. After the yuan-ti were defeated, Tyralandi took up the reigns of the brothel, and apparently turned it into something much more, since she was widely regarded as one of the main power players in Scuttlecove politics.

It was dawn before the six companions managed to piece together all their facts, and they decided to return to Red Foam Whaling for some rest before venturing to Porphyry House. The crowds were still substantial despite the lateness (or earliness) of the hour, and it was while making their way across a particularly busy square that the Legionnaires were approached by a street vendor.
“Psst!” he whispered as he neared. Looking around to make sure no passersby were paying attention, he opened his cloak, displaying a wide assortment of rings, necklaces, bracers and wands.
“Wanna’ buy some authentic magic?” he asked, eyes shifting about nervously. “Top price! Guaranteed!”
Mandi surreptitiously waved her own wand, which was concealed within the long sleeve of her gown, searching for the tell-tale aura of magic. To her surprise, the items seemed genuine, but she was still skeptical. It seemed improbable that such a vagabond would be in possession of such an array, and selling them at such ridiculous prices, barely a twentieth of their market value. She shook her head in annoyance, and waved Tower Cleaver on.
“Ya sure?” the man asked. How ‘bout you, big fella?” he said, darting in front of the minotaur.
“Not wear jewelry,” Cleaver said, shortly. “For cows.”
“Of course!” the man nodded, hastily backing away. “Well then, guess no luck for me today! Safe travel strangers!”

The vendor disappeared into the crowd with several nervous glances over his shoulder.
“Strange…” Mandi began thoughtfully, but then her eyes went suddenly wide, and blood spewed from her mouth. In the span of a heartbeat, her vision went dark and she slumped bonelessly to the ground, a curved dagger sliding from her back as she fell. Behind her stood a yuan-ti half-blood, his forked tongue flickering rapidly between his fangs. He had seemingly appeared out of thin air. A second assassin crouched nearby over the equally motionless form of Marius, the gnome’s blood pooling around him in a crimson stain. As the remaining Legionnaires stared in shock and disbelief, two more yuan-ti materialized, and then suddenly the crowd was moving, most of them away from the murder scene, but six bystanders were moving forward, and as they came, their bodies shifted to that of heavily muscled, red-eyed apes…bar-igura! Two of them leaped at Tower Cleaver, ripping and tearing with their teeth and claws, clinging to the minotaur like feral cats. Another launched itself at Daelric, its talons ripping through the priest’s armor. In a matter of seconds, the company was surrounded.

Daelric panicked. The young priest had been in many combats, but he had always been adept at keeping himself out of the line of fire while still supporting his comrades. Now he was completely in the thick of things and completely out of his element. For a moment, his eyes scanned the melee, searching for Mandi. Surely she would have a way out of this mess. Then he remembered what had happened, and glanced down at his feet where the cold, dead eyes of the sorceress gazed back at him. He ducked the reaching arms of the bar-igura and knelt beside her, a desperate prayer on his lips. A simple revival would not do. It would leave her too weak to defend herself, and she would certainly succumb again. No, he had only one option. He would have to bring Mandi back as a revenant, half-alive and half-dead. His hands pulsed with black light as he pressed them over her heart. Her body arched and her eyes opened as she gasped in a lungful of air. To her credit, it only took an instant for the elf maid to realize her plight, and that of her allies. Not even taking the time to regain her feet, she began casting. A nimbus of light swirled around the combatants, and a moment later all of the Legionnaires vanished, only to reappear at the far corner of the courtyard in a battle phalanx with herself, Daelric, and the body of Marius hedged in by Tower Cleaver, Sepoto and Octurus.

It didn’t take long for their opponents to realize what had happened, and they reacted with astonishing speed. One of the bar-igura bounded towards Cleaver on all fours. The minotaur braced himself for the impact, but at the last second the demon seized him by the wrist and both of them disappeared, popping up in the corner of the square opposite the main melee, effectively separating Cleaver from his teammates. Anticipating their brother’s maneuver, two more bar-igura rushed across the yard and pounced on the minotaur again, biting and clawing savagely.
Meanwhile, a third demon charged into the gap left by Cleaver, pinning Daelric to the wall with its weight and opening its jaws inches from his face, fangs bared and fetid breath washing over the pale priest. An instant later, another of the demons teleported on Daelric’s opposite side, standing over the still-prone Mandi.

Octurus was in motion, a blur of movement that the bar-igura could barely track. His scimitars twirled with deadly speed as he tore into the demon that held Daelric. Again and again his blades bit deep, and then the ape tattoo on his chest roared to life, and as it did so, the Maztican scythed his arms apart, rending the demon in half. As he turned towards the second one, however, he saw that in his rage and distraction, the yuan-ti had moved in, and now had him boxed in on all sides.

Tower Cleaver bellowed like a bull elephant, and the bar-igura all took involuntary steps back. As they did, his axe swung like a great pendulum, raking across all three of them. Before they could react, his backswing cleaved two of them in half, leaving only one staring wild-eyed in disbelief.

Mandi furrowed her brow in concentration, and as she did so, a pair of black-feathered wings sprouted from her back. She spread them wide and lifted herself into the air, grimacing as one of the bar-igura, and a dagger wielding yuan-ti slashed at her as she rose. Once she had reached a safe height, she spoke another spell, transforming her body into that of a large ice devil before settling to earth again, this time outside the ring of assailants.

Daelric knelt again beside Marius. Repeating the prayer he had cast on Mandi, he stood just as the gnome returned part-way from the afterlife. Marius’ reaction was quite different from that of the sorceress, however. His eyes stared wildly around, shock and dismay registering within them.
“What have you done?” he wailed, pulling at Daelric’s tabard. “It was my time! There was no coming back! What have you done!?”
Daelric merely stared at the wizard in confusion, not comprehending what he was saying. Abruptly Mandi’s voice cut through his bewilderment.
“Marius!” the fiendish sorceress shouted. “Get hold of yourself! You’re back and we’ve got problems! Wallow in self-pity after, or you surely will return the afterlife, perhaps missing a few limbs!”
Before the gnome could respond or react, however, another bar-igura joined the fray, and the pair of them began clawing and biting Daelric. The priest threw up his hands, vainly trying to defend himself, and as he did so three of the yuan-ti turned their attention from Octurus and plunged their knives into Daelric’s unprotected midsection. Blood bubbled from his lips as he gasped for breath, but his lungs didn’t seem to have the strength. He sagged against the wall and slid to the cobblestones, a dark swath of blood staining the brick behind him as he fell.

Octurus cried out as the priest dropped, and he leaped at the demons that surrounded his friend. As he moved, however, another of the yuan-ti pierced his side with its serrated blade, and the Maztican felt as if a mule had kicked him in the ribs. He could not seem to catch his breath, and he could hear air hissing out of the wound. Pushing his pain to the back of his mind, he forced himself to keep moving, blades twirling like dervishes to all sides. The nearest yuan-ti felt as if it were caught in a tornado of steel, its flesh was ripped and rent.

Tower Cleaver’s last opponent gave a good accounting of itself as it faced certain death in the eyes of the rabid minotaur. It slashed at the oncoming behemoth, opening deep tears in the barbarian’s legs, but it was futile. Cleaver lifted the demon into the air with an upward swing of his axe. The bar-igura literally exploded into a haze of blood and gore. The minotaur never slowed, his momentum carrying him like a tidal wave towards his friends and their foes.

Marius could barely concentrate. Images of what he’d seen while between life and death kept flashing over and over again behind his eyes. Could that possibly be what awaited him? What Daelric had given him only temporary respite from? They had told him that if he tried to escape, the consequences would be unimaginable. Unimaginable…
Shaking his head to clear it, he looked around, desperately trying to sort out friend from foe. A mass of fur and snarling teeth loomed over him, and reflexively he unleashed his magic, watching as the demon disintegrated into a cloud of dust. A moment later, the last of the bar-iguras met the same fate at the hands of Mandi.
“Glad to see you’re back in the game,” she said, offering Marius her hand. He took it, and climbed shakily to his feet, managing a weak smile in response.

Cleaver hit the yuan-ti like a battering ram, hewing all around him with his axe, but the assassins were as fast as their serpentine brethren. Dodging to the minotaur’s flanks, they sank their blades repeatedly into his tough hide, circling just beyond his reach as they darted in and then back. Suddenly, Octurus was among them, his howling blades driving them towards Tower Cleaver. One quickly succumbed to the Maztican’s fury, while two more fell beneath Cleaver’s scythe-like blade. The last of snake-men dove at the barbarian, sinking his dagger deep behind Cleaver’s collar-bone, sending a geyser of blood fountaining into the air. Tower Cleaver keened like a wounded animal, vainly trying to staunch the flow. His opponent slipped behind him, waiting for a fatal opening, but as the assassin prepared to strike, a beam of black energy struck him between the shoulders, and he sagged to the earth, a shriveled husk.

“Nice shot,” Mandi said, patting Marius on the back. “But we’ve got to get Daelric back on his feet or we’re all dead. That miracle he cast will only last a few more minutes and then you and I both go back to the afterlife. We have to make sure he can bring us back again.”
Marius turned and coughed into his hand, hiding the sudden blanching of his face. The thought of just a few moments in that place nearly paralyzed him with fear, but the thought of what would happen if they were to catch him and make good on their promise threatened to send him into catatonia.

Octurus quickly knelt beside the unconscious form of Daelric and forced a healing elixir down the priest’s throat. Daelric coughed and spat as the drought revived him. Octurus helped him to his feet and he immediately went to Tower Cleaver’s side, healing the pale minotaur’s wound before he bled to death. Next he turned to Mandi and Marius, just as the faint spark of life he’d given them left their bodies. As they collapsed, he placed a hand on both their chests and called on his patron again. This time when the arcanists revived, it was in a much weakened state, but at least they were truly alive.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Porphyry House was a rose blooming in a graveyard, though its physical beauty bore an undeniably sinister taint. When the Legionnaires entered the sumptuous parlor, they were greeted by a scantily clad beauty that instantly caught the attention of every male in the room.
“May I be of service?” she purred.
“I’m certain you could,” Mandi smirked, elbowing aside her hormonally challenged comrades, “but not in the way you might think. We wish to speak with Tyralandi.”
The concubine raised one eyebrow prettily. “Do you have an appointment?”
“No,” Mandi sighed, “but we have information that she would be very interested in.”
“I see,” the woman said absently, glancing down at a register on the podium in front of her. “I’m sure if you leaver your names and the nature of your business, I can pass along the message to the Madame and she will be in touch.”
Mandi’s eyes flashed, and when she leaned her elbow on the podium and whispered, the air of menace could not be missed. “Listen, wench. You just run along and fetch your mistress. I’ve asked you once nicely. Tell her we are friends of Harliss Javell. If you don’t, you will soon get to see how you enjoy life in the form of a dog when I turn you out into the streets with all of the randy mongrels there. You’ll get to find out the true meaning of the word ‘bitch!’”
The girl’s eyes went round, and all the color drained from her cheeks. Stammering incoherently, she quickly exited the parlor. When she returned a few moments later, she bowed low and bade the company to follow her to Tyralandi.

The mistress of Porphyry House was simply stunning. Even Mandi found her breath momentarily taken away at the woman’s beauty. The term ‘woman,’ however was a stretch, for Tyralandi was anything but human. To be sure, her body was that of a perfect humanoid female, and her style of dress left little to the imagination, but the leathery wings which sprouted from her shoulders, the small horns that peaked from beneath her raven hair, and the petite fangs that barely dimpled the skin of her full bottom lip marked her as something else entirely. Then there were the elaborate tattoos that twisted and coiled on every visible surface of her skin, so intricate in their details that they made Octurus’ own look like cave drawings in comparison. The madam was draped languidly across a chaise, but her eyes were keenly alert and she took in every detail of her visitors at a glance.
“I am told that you think yourselves worthy of my time,” she said in a husky voice.
Mandi stepped forward, extending the note they had found among Harliss’ effects.
“We’re searching for this woman,” the sorceress said without preamble. “She first made the acquaintance of some of my colleagues in a place called Kraken’s Cove, where they rescued her from her own crew who had been transformed into savage creatures by an item created by the cult of Demogorgon. We know she was in Scuttlecove recently, for one of my team received a dream-message from her. She is here to exact her revenge from the Kraken Society, whom she believes orchestrated the attack on her crew.”
Tyralandi glanced at the note and then her piercing gaze met Mandi’s.
“You are either very trusting, or very foolish to reveal so much to someone you’ve just met, especially in Scuttlecove. Such bravado could get you killed in a variety of different ways.” She unfolded herself from her lounge chair and began pacing casually around the group, examining them from all angles.
“However, since you have been so forthcoming with me, I shall return the favor…to an extent. The woman you seek did come to me several days ago with a request for a Dream spell. We use this dweomer often to grant certain…unusual…requests by our paying customers. Her money was good and I must admit I have a certain soft spot in my heart for female swashbucklers. I don’t know what message was sent, nor to whom, but I do know where your friend is now.” A cold smile lifted the corners of her inviting mouth slightly. The silence stretched out for several long moments.
“Well?” Mandi asked at length. “Are you going to tell us, or do we have to guess?”
Tyralandi’s eyes became heavy and lidded as she looked coolly askance at the elf.
“Most people who come here pay hundreds in gold just to come into my presence,” she replied. “For those who actually seek something from me, the price is much higher.”
“I see,” Mandi said, her voice dropping several degrees. “And what would your price be for such information?”
Tyralandi stretched lazily, a motion that caused several pulses in the room to quicken.
“As I said, I have a certain fondness for Harliss Javell, and so the price I name should be one that you can meet with little hardship.” She paused, and her amber eyes leveled directly at Marius. She crooked one finger at the gnome and grinned coyly.
“A lock of your hair is all that I ask.”
“Forget it!” Mandi snapped. “I’m no fool, and no novice at the arcane arts. I know full well what you can do with such a ‘gift.’”
Tyralandi shrugged. “I assure you, I mean your handsome little friend no harm. It is merely a token for my collection…a sign of good faith.”
“Marius, don’t!” Mandi commanded. “You know as well as I the many ways she could bind you to her.”
Marius bowed his head, silent for a moment. Abruptly, he raised his eyes again to Tyralandi and nodded. “I agree to your price,” he said.

Tyralandi slunk cat-like towards the warmage, letting one of her hands casually caress his face as she moved around him. She wove her fingers into his fiery red hair and then leaned down so that her lips softly brushed his ear.
“I smell death upon you,” she whispered so that only he could hear. “I know that you are marked. Should your soul pass beyond this world as it is, it shall not be as a petitioner. No, you are meant for special things. You have drawn unwanted attention to yourself in your short, violent life, and the cost to you in the hereafter will be eternal. You have no patron to claim you from those who would profit from a soul such as yours. No one to protect you, and now you have the ire of the Prince of Demons as well. I will take what you have offered, and I shall offer you a gift in return. My Prince is powerful as well. He could use the services of one such as you, and in turn, He would guarantee your safe passage in the beyond. Think on my words long, mage.” She then plucked several hairs from his head and returned to her seat.
“Now,” she said, waving impatiently, “be gone. I am weary and I have many other patrons who await my attention. Harliss Javell is currently a guest of the Sisters of Lamentation at the Birdcage. No doubt she was taken there by enemies eager to learn something from her. If you plan on going there, I would be careful if I were you. The Sisters have particularly enthralling singing voices.”
With that the Legionnaires were escorted from Porphyry house back outside into the harsh sunlight that did nothing to brighten the slums around them.

JollyDoc

Explorer
As it turned out, the Birdcage was another brothel, though according to word on the street, the Sisters of Lamentation dealt more in information brokering than pleasure, though the two were not mutually exclusive. The building itself was a small gray tower also known as the Crooked Spire due to a steeple built of cheap timber that had developed a singular twist over the years. Luridly colored flags fluttered from the top of the building and numerous bas-relief carvings of stylized harpies armed with whips and daggers decorated the outside walls.

“Enthralling voices,” Daelric muttered as he looked at the images. “Harpy prostitutes?? That’s just…wrong!”
“That’s saying a lot considering what we’ve already seen of this city,” Mandi pointed out. “I doubt we have anything to worry about from their hypnotic songs, but just the same it would not pay to have our front line suddenly turn on us. Can you do something about that?”
The priest nodded then went to Sepoto, Tower Cleaver and Octurus, placing his hands over each of their ears in turn. When he removed his hands, each of the warriors found themselves to be stone deaf.
‘Don’t worry,’ Mandi’s voice spoke into their heads. ‘I’ve linked us all telepathically. We can communicate freely and Daelric can undo his spell when we’re done here.”

They found the front door unlocked, leading into an entry parlor. The walls of the garishly painted chamber depicted scenes that would make even the most brazen streetwalker blush. A fine oak cabinet stood to the left of the entrance door, and a low table with a bottle of port and several crystal glasses stood next to a few padded chairs near a door to the south. A glassy eyed man stood before a podium wearing what looked to be a very uncomfortable outfit of leather and peacock feathers. Sepoto suppressed a snicker. At Mandi’s nod, Cleaver stepped forward, hefted his axe and planted its blade in the wood of the podium, sending a crack through it all the way to its base.
“We’re looking for Harliss Javell,” Mandi said, “and no, we don’t have an appointment, and we won’t leave a message.”
The gimp’s eyes unfocused for a moment, and he stared in confusion at the axe.
“I have not heard of such a person,” he said in a flat monotone. “I can take down your names if you like. Would you like a glass of wine?”
“Perhaps I did not make myself clear,” Mandi hissed. “We know she is here. Now, either you open that door and take us to the Sisters, or my large friend here will use your head as a key!”
Again, the man looked impassive.
“The Sisters only see clients by appointment. I do not have a key to the door.”
Mandi sighed in exasperation. If the slave were carrying a key, she could not imagine where he would be hiding it, given the nature of his attire. Or perhaps she could imagine, but just chose not to.
‘Cleaver, open the door,’ she commanded.
The minotaur planted his feet before the stout door and went to work. In seconds, the portal lay in splinters before him, and the group hurried through, certain they had lost any element of surprise.

The chamber they found themselves in was a vast, garishly painted space of great height that seemed to consist of the entire central mass of the building. The walls were decorated to a height of thirty feet with paintings of an erotic nature that left nothing to the imagination. The interior of the spire above was a tangled network of beams and supports. Four huge oak beams extended upward into the cathedral-like space, rising around a huge birdcage made of metal and crystal that dangled from the rafters by several iron chains and creaking ropes. The chamber’s floor was thickly carpeted, and a balcony ran around the edge of the room at a height of fifteen feet, granting access to several narrow doorways. A handful of vapid slaves, dressed similarly to the doorman milled about the room, cleaning carpets and walls. Listless and quiet, they ceased their tasks and scurried for cover when the Legionnaires burst in. As the six companions gazed up into the recesses of the tower, they saw a figure crouched among the rafters. It was definitely a harpy, but like none any of the group had ever seen or read about. She bore distinctively avian lower extremities and leathery wings, but the rest of her naked body was that of a humanoid female. Her entire physique, however, had been shaved bald and her skin was festooned with tattoos and horrific piercings, some of them little more than nails driven into her hands, feet and scalp. As she glared down at the intruders, she began to shriek.
“Filth! Leave this place! You have no business here! Chasten! Scourge! Come quickly! We have uninvited guests!”
Immediately, two doors on the upper balcony opened and a pair of harpies fluttered up into the rafters, each similarly adorned as the first.
“Who are they, Vivisectia?” one of the newcomers demanded.
“We are here for Harliss Javell!” Mandi shouted up to them. “Giver her to us now, and we will leave in peace!”
“That wouldn’t exactly be good for business, now would it?” the one called Vivisectia sneered. “What kind of customers would we have if we simply gave our services away? I have a counter-proposal. Why don’t you all just put down your arms and open your ears. Your new uniforms are waiting for you!”

The three Sisters began to sing, their voices at once haunting and horrifying. Mandi, Daelric and Marius felt the power of the harpies’ song washing over them, but they were prepared. With great efforts of will, the trio forced the intrusive lyrics from their mind and prepared to deal with the vile songstresses. Mandi acted first, conjuring a small, impermeable prison of pure force around the one called Chasten. The harpy’s song was instantly silenced, and she flew around her prison, slamming into the walls like a bird trying to fly through newly cleaned glass. Next, the sorceress turned her attention to Vivisectia.
“Your tune is catchy, and has a good beat,” Mandi laughed, “but can you dance to it?”
With that, she hurled a blast of mental power at the harpy, and to Vivisectia’s horror and disbelief, her feet began to shuffle and tap of their own volition. Within a matter of moments, she was dancing and cavorting like a sideshow fool along her narrow wooden beam, having to focus her total concentration on the movements in order to avoid plummeting to the floor below. That left only Scourge still singing. Marius raised one finger and pointed it at the Sister, and black fire arrowed straight for her heart. Her voice cut off in mid-lyric as she died and toppled from her perch, crashing to the floor in a bloody heap.
“Good to have you back,” Mandi said, though she could still tell something was different about the warmage. His eyes lacked their familiar spark they had whenever he was destroying something. Shrugging it aside as post-death depression, the sorceress hurled another spell at Vivisectia. The harpy’s dance came to its final conclusion as she imploded into a puff of dust and smoke. Chasten could only watch as her sisters died, and when the invisible walls confining her abruptly vanished, she knew her time had come. A second wave of black energy from Marius sent her to join her kin in whatever infernal choir they would sing in for all of eternity.

‘You didn’t leave much for us to do,’ Octurus said through the mental link, disappointment in his voice.
‘Don’t be so sure,’ Mandi said, gazing up at the giant cage suspended above them. ‘I know you can’t hear it, but there is some sort of awful keening coming from up there. I pray it’s not Harliss making that noise. It barely sounds human. Why don’t you three get up there and take a look around?’
Quickly, the three warriors quaffed potions allowing them to take flight, and then soared up into the spire, dodging past the rafters as they drew level with the cage. It was huge, some thirty feet in height and fifteen in girth. The iron bars were covered with dozens of ragged barbs, and manacles hung from several places. Whips, hooked chains, knives, leather cords and other devices for torture sat on metal shelves here and there. The cage floor was a filthy tangle of reeking rags and bones. Near the top of the cage sat a smaller one, only five feet across and just as tall. In that cage was a pile of rags arranged in what looked to be a nest. Sepoto recognized the unconscious, beaten figure on the floor of the larger cage as Harliss Javell. Standing in the entrance of the smaller cage was a figure that superficially resembled a human child, but with slug-white skin, tiny claws, black, empty eyes and a mouth filled with needle-sharp teeth. It opened its jaws wider than should have been possible and hissed as the three Legionnaires approached. Then it flopped to the floor beside Harliss and leaned over her threateningly. Tower Cleaver didn’t hesitate. He bashed aside the barred, metal door of the birdcage and quickly followed Sepoto and Octurus inside. As the little abomination opened its mouth again to sink its teeth into Harliss’ neck, two scimitars, an axe and a spike chain separated its head and all of its limbs from its body.

Back on the floor of the tower, Marius came to stand next to Mandi as she watched the battle above.
“It seems you have things well in hand here,” the gnome said flatly. Mandi looked at him sharply, her eyes narrowing.
“Yes? What of it?”
“I’m leaving,” Marius said, his eyes meeting hers. “I don’t have the stomach for this any longer. I’ve seen death one too many times, and the petty minutiae of this world no longer concern me. I have witnessed what the after life holds for me, and I am none to eager to rush into its embrace. I won’t face death again needlessly. I have faith in you, Mandi. You’ll get by, but be careful. The road to Hell is paved with the best of intentions. Trust me on this.”
With that, he turned and walked out of the Birdcage, disappearing into the bustling crowd in the street beyond.

carborundum

Adventurer
Wowzers! The artillery has left the field - oh dear.

What happened to poor Marius in there? He's not himself. Is it a case of one man leaves, a new man enters?

Another great update - thanks JD!

Woha, I just thought you put the afterlife memory in there to account for Marius' new Thrall of Graz'zt level or something. Is it a player leaving or is it just a PC change?

Great ambush, great retalliation, great update.

Aracase

Explorer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Is it a player leaving or is it just a PC change?
WarEagleMage can expound on his reason, but he said that after '3 strikes' Marius was done. He's not leaving, just a PC change.

Aracase

Explorer
carborundum said:
What are your Death rules? Lose a level? Gain a negative level? Lose half a level xp?
JollyDoc can confirm this, but I think it's...come back at the lowest party level, and a new character is one level lower than the lowest party level.

Since I'm the new player and TC hasn't died, I'm not sure.

However, I think revenance and revivify bring the PC back with no level loss.

JollyDoc

Explorer
carborundum said:
What are your Death rules? Lose a level? Gain a negative level? Lose half a level xp?

Revenance and Revivify can bring you back with no level loss, as can True Res. of course. Raise Dead and Resurrection will put you at the half-way xp point one level below. If a player brings in a new character, that character comes in at the level of the lowest level current party member. Technically, there's no limit to the number of times a PC can die, but Bryant (Marius' player) felt that three was adequate and Marius was not destined to live on as a playable character.

WarEagleMage

First Post
We all have our little D&D quirks. One of my personal issues is that death can become kind of cheap with the many rez options that are available. I have always had my own personal 3 strikes and you're out rule. Thanks to JollyDoc for such an awesome send off. I've got two ideas for the next guy - melee and caster. I'm leaning caster. Will the players get the a member of the class they've been wanting for so long? Maybe...

Remove ads