D&D 3E/3.5 Jonathan Tweet: Third Edition and Per-Day Spells

On the Third Edition design team, we were tasked with rationalizing the game system, but there were some big elements of the system that we didn’t question. We inherited a system in which spellcasters get better in three ways at a time as they level up; they get more spells per day, higher-level spells, and more damage with spells of a given level. In retrospect, that problem is easy to see...

On the Third Edition design team, we were tasked with rationalizing the game system, but there were some big elements of the system that we didn’t question. We inherited a system in which spellcasters get better in three ways at a time as they level up; they get more spells per day, higher-level spells, and more damage with spells of a given level. In retrospect, that problem is easy to see, and we didn’t fix it. We also inherited a system that balanced powerful class features, notably spells, by making them usable once per day. The problems with that system are less obvious, and we didn’t fix this system, either. But the 3E system laid bare its own inner workings, and so soon enough designers saw that there were issues with this system, and over the years several of us designers have tried to address it one way or another.

IMG_7349.JPG

In classic dungeon crawling, the default best strategy is to take each room one at a time and regain your hit points and spells after each one. That’s no fun, so people usually don’t play that way. For 3E, we spelled out that the game was balanced for four average battles between heal-ups, but actual practice varied. Whatever per-day powers are balanced at one rate of fights per day are necessarily unbalanced at faster or slower rates. Classes with lots of per-day power are too strong when there are one or two fights per day and too weak when there are five or more. Individual Dungeon Masters might be able to schedule the action in such a way that they maintain the sort of balance they’re looking for. If that works, it represents the DM’s efforts and not anything we on the design team could accomplish through system design. Many Dungeon Masters might find the per-day rules convenient precisely because they allow the DM to modulate the threat level up and down. DMs rule on how many encounters the party has in a day and whether they can suspend their mission long enough to reset their spells and other per-day powers. A dynamic I’ve seen over and over again, however, is that players with spellcasting characters are adept at talking the DM into letting the party rest. When the spellcaster is out of spells, they need a night’s rest a lot more than the other characters in the party need to press on. When a mission goes south and the encounters burn up more per-day resources than the DM figured they would, the party often simply camps out for the night and sets out the next day with spells reset to full.

Limiting spells by day also means that a spellcaster’s power level is different when they’re in a preliminary skirmish compared to when they’re in a climactic showdown. When it’s a high-priority battle or when the player knows that there’s a long rest afterwards, the spellcaster can use their best spells without worrying about holding back. This effect is something of a game-wrecker when the party arranges to jump the big bad guy after prepping up to full. With a well-placed teleport, the party’s spellcasters can unload all their best “per-day” spells for the one battle that matters that day (an “alpha strike”). Classes with at-will powers can’t “unload” the way spellcasters can.

IMG_5348.JPG

The per-day system also changes up balance for NPCs. Generally, when a party attacks an NPC boss of some sort, that NPC is in a fight for their life, and they cut loose with every per-day power they can manage. Fighter NPCs aren’t particularly dangerous because they have no such resources to unleash. In my campaign, I found the psionicist NPC the most dangerous because they could use the point system to cast at full capacity every round. As player-characters, psionicists have all the balance problems of the wizard and then some.

Seeing the issues with per-day powers, the designers started experimenting with per-encounter powers in supplemental material. The psychic warrior, for example, had a “focus” that they could expend once in the battle in order to have a special effect. At that point, designers were still in simulation mode, and encounters that were “per-encounter” by fiat seemed too artificial. The psychic warrior had a believable, in-world reason for their “per-encounter” abilities. Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords (2006) introduced special, limited-use powers for martial classes. By 4E, the designers fully embraced per-encounter powers.

Fourth edition established balance among the classes by giving all of them per-day and per-encounter powers. That’s one way to solve the balance issue. 4E is so well-balanced that it’s hard to make bad choices in character design. This approach had the unfortunate effect of making the classes all feel sort of the same.

With 13th Age, Rob Heinsoo and I took a different approach. We turned 3E’s four-fights guideline into a hard rule. You get your spells and hit points back not just by resting but only if you have engaged in a minimum amount of fighting. After your fourth fight (or after four fights’ worth of fighting), the party gets to reset to full. Alternatively, the party can admit defeat and get a heal-up without “earning” it, but admitting defeat entails a “campaign loss,” as determined by the GM. This system creates a lovely rhythm, with characters feeling flush and confident in the first fight, feeling hard pressed in the last fight, and then feeling good again when they heal up. I play a cleric in a 13th Age campaign, and the last fight before a heal-up is tough going. The last fight is so tough that we player all know that the decisions and rolls we made in the earlier fights all mattered in terms of what we have left for the last one.

Jonathan Tweet

Jonathan Tweet

D&D 3E, Over the Edge, Everway, Ars Magica, Omega World, Grandmother Fish

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Excellent article.

Personally I think the Pre 3e prepared Vancian casting doesn't work anymore. Too many settings don't rely on straight long dungeon delving anymore. 4E was a step in a step in the right direction but it didn't go far enough in justification. 13th Age's 4 encounter days solution is cool but I can't get my head around it working for other setting.

I wholeheartedly agree that a major problem in fantasy gaming is that Nonmagical characters can't "Nova" the BBEG down. As a guy who grew up with anime, it's just so strange to me that the warrior can't just break out the limiters once or twice a day and turn into a superhuman beast. As I see more people entering fantasy gaming scene, I see more ideas coming in and being accepted on giving warriors and scoundrels more resources to burst down a foe.

A very useful change I employed in my 1E games was how healing works, especially from spells, which I determined to be a significant source of the problem.

First, after every fight, PC's can recover at least 25% of their hit points - IF they can rest for at least 10 minutes after the fight. Those hit points are then assumed to be fatigue, but you can't recover fatigue if you can't/don't rest long enough or if you drop to 0 hit points or lower. Second, individuals can only benefit from a limited amount of spell healing per day; an amount effectively equal to their maximum hit points. Mostly, that healing takes place as a RITUAL which can't be done in combat. Clerics and other healers also have limits on the amount of healing they can hand out. Healing spells that can be cast in combat also draw against these limits. All healing is done in terms of hit dice of the PC receiving it. So fighters get d10 dice from healing sources, but magic-users only get d4's.

Choosing healing spells then is a matter of mostly keeping people alive in combat and then finishing what healing can be provided in rituals outside of combat. The 15-minute workday is at least less effective a strategy because the amount of healing that can be provided AND received are both reduced. Yet PC's who manage to rest regularly after fights CAN risk continuing on longer, albeit with more limited hit points.

It wasn't a complete fix-all but it was a significant step in the right direction.

dave2008

Legend
I wholeheartedly agree that a major problem in fantasy gaming is that Nonmagical characters can't "Nova" the BBEG down. As a guy who grew up with anime, it's just so strange to me that the warrior can't just break out the limiters once or twice a day and turn into a superhuman beast.
Actually, the 5e fighter's action surge is exactly this type of mechanic. I even expanded it and allow my players to double damage instead of double their actions.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a huge fan of how 13th Age does it. 5e, a fantastic system otherwise, really causes me dissodance with going from the 3ed assumption of four encounters to 6-8 in order to balance (non-HP) resource attrition. Regularly running that number of encounters does not fit my DMing style.

That's why 13th Age was such a good fit. Two week exploration trek in the Underworld with just a few encounters? One full heal up. A day delving a living dungeon. One full heal up. A frantic midnight run from the Orc Lord's troops after their bombing the encampment from an airship and getting shot down? One full heal up. I can fit it easily to what I need to do.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
That's why 13th Age was such a good fit. Two week exploration trek in the Underworld with just a few encounters? One full heal up. A day delving a living dungeon. One full heal up. A frantic midnight run from the Orc Lord's troops after their bombing the encampment from an airship and getting shot down? One full heal up. I can fit it easily to what I need to do.

All of this. My only issue with 13A is that the vocabulary of "daily" is still in the rules and it's taken me a while to train my players to understand that "daily" means "when we've hit a full heal-up point" and not "when you've chosen to camp for the night". They like it now, but they still occasionally complain about the use of the word "daily" in the rules when it doesn't mean it.

slobster

Hero
I like the elegance of 13th age's "heal up after a number of encounters" design, but it still picks at the raw spot of my simulationist tendencies enough that I prefer the 5E "rest" mechanics in play even though they can be very inconsistent to plan around. I'm always looking for a compromise that gets the benefits of the first mode without gamify-ing to such a transparent extent, but I've never come up with anything better than "rest mechanics and then try to push the PCs into a time crunch" to accomplish that.

Great article!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I can't get behind 13th age's mechanic, personally. What if you have an encounter one day, two the next, and then nothing for a week? I could easily be missing something because I don't play the game, but if I am not I don't really like the idea.

It is arbitrary and to me makes no more sense than recovery after a short or long rest o daily or whatever. My favorite mechanics are always at-will with a cost. In terms of DND that might be HD (I enjoyed that thread as well I thought it was going in a nice direction) or HP (I like the "Vitality" used in SWSE to fuel force-powers) or something else. That is why our table uses a homebrew spell point system and I am working on a spell drain system as well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads