Jonesing for some New Star Wars

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Well, having read through the rough outline of content in the KotOR book, I have to say there is a bright future ahead here. If they keep up the quality on other releases then this might just be the line to supplant my love for the old WEG D6 game.

SilentJay

Explorer
As for a tech book... I'm personally hoping not, as the Arms & Equipment Guide proved to be more of a bane than a boon to my games, especially as Star Wars in general isn't about getting whatever gear provides the most benefit; just because three or for different corporations make blaster pistols doesn't mean we need three or four different sets of stats for blaster pistols.

Rodney's also mentioned that it's unlikely, as Star Wars isn't really a gear oriented property.

possum

First Post
As for a tech book... I'm personally hoping not, as the Arms & Equipment Guide proved to be more of a bane than a boon to my games, especially as Star Wars in general isn't about getting whatever gear provides the most benefit; just because three or for different corporations make blaster pistols doesn't mean we need three or four different sets of stats for blaster pistols.

I've never really used the blasters and such, save for flavor text. What I've used most out of the book are the droids and vehicles.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Ask and ye shall receive! I got my copy of the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign guide today, several days before I was expecting it! Yay!

Tetsubo

First Post
Ask and ye shall receive! I got my copy of the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign guide today, several days before I was expecting it! Yay!

I order a copy along with Force Unleashed. Though I bundled them. So I imagine I won't be seeing them any time soon.

My own copy is en route from Amazon, but I've been borrowing the copy a friend bought (in exchange for him pretty much having claimed my second 4e PHB for his own household).

Have to say this is probably the sourcebook the SWSE fanbase has been waiting for. Not just because it's KOTOR, but becuase it is simply chock full of stuff for everybody, from Jedi to Mandos to everything in between. New talents, new feats, new gear, new prestige classes, new vehicles. Prego man, prego ;)

Now just the wait for Force Unleashed (finally!)

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Agreed, Donavan.

I've spent the last couple of days thumbing through it, and it really fires me up for a Kotor campaign. If you're a fan of the games, it's got rules for alternate lightsaber crystals, different kinds of armor, new kinds of equipment. Not necessarily good for every campaign, but for folks who liked that aspect of the game, a good addition.

My one complaint is that some, though not all, of the art is really abysmally bad. The picture of Lucian Dray at one point looks as though he's 12 years old. Even the Young Lucian of the comic didn't look as young as that depiction (and of course, he's mostly depicted as a mature adult.

But that's a minor quibble. If the people responsible for this book are working on the Legacy book, I'm going to be beside myself trying to figure out what era I'd prefer to play in. Well done guys!

Its definitely a good book, even with a few dodgy pieces of art. I'm still enthralled by the cover, front and back. Such beautiful work.

I have two small problems with the book. On is the Cathar. I despised the look for Juhani in KotOR, and I've always hated that its been explained away as a subspecies. I guess that's what happens with the exposure of the KotOR game compared to the old Tales of the Jedi comics, but argh...Crado and Sylvar were some of the best characters from the old comics, both their look and the actual characters.

The other is tangentally related, in that there's so much more focus on the games and such than the older things. I completely understand why, and I'm happy to see Zayne Carrick and friends detailed, but I would have liked more of the Tales of the Jedi crew highlighted than were. Its a sad truth to me that it just won't happen because of how old the comics were compared to this new stuff, especially when you combine it with the limited space for the book. Just disappointing, especially since I liked the feel of the TotJ stuff more than the recent KotOR, which doesn't strike me as thousands of years before the movies as much as the TotJ did, which was very clearly a different time. But oh well, minor things that I'll get over. :cool:

Remove ads