JRPG Style Combat in TTRPGs

Reynard

Legend
Design Discussion: JRPG style combat in tabletop games. What I mean by that is to essentially remove or greatly simplify positioning and tactical movement. In essence you would have Front Rank, Back Rank and maybe a Long Range where you put snipers and flyers and stuff. It kind of has a "zone" feel, but even simpler. Obviously, lots of video game RPGS (from Japan!) use it.

Is it viable in a TTRPG? How would you modify a traditional TTRPG (like D&D) to use it? Would you?

Are there any TTRPGs that already use JRPG style combat?

Aldarc

Legend
Design Discussion: JRPG style combat in tabletop games. What I mean by that is to essentially remove or greatly simplify positioning and tactical movement. In essence you would have Front Rank, Back Rank and maybe a Long Range where you put snipers and flyers and stuff. It kind of has a "zone" feel, but even simpler. Obviously, lots of video game RPGS (from Japan!) use it.

Is it viable in a TTRPG? How would you modify a traditional TTRPG (like D&D) to use it? Would you?

Are there any TTRPGs that already use JRPG style combat?
Ryuutama: aka Studio Ghibli + Oregon Trail

Aldarc

Legend
Cool, although I personally would want something a little less pastoral.
Fair, but here is the battle mat:
Ryuutama-battlefield.png

There are a fair number of other JRPG inspired TTRPGs out there: e.g., Fabula Ultima, ICON, etc. However, I'm not sure how many opt for the sort of combat grids you have in mind.

dbm

Savage!
The One Ring has each PC choose a “stance” in combat: close, open, defensive or ranged. These affect you chance of hitting and being hit, and allow a different range of non-attack actions too (at least they did in the first edition, haven’t played second yet).

Functionally this is like the JRPG front / back rank with some extra granularity and nuance. It worked well.

aramis erak

Legend
The range band combat of FFG Star Wars & Genesys has been a constant issue for many; it's right up there with "funky dice" for negatives of the game. In no small measure this is because a maneuver at short range changes 10m while one at long is 50m +...

WEG Star Wars used a range band system for ship combat.... in 1E. 2E replaced that with movement on map based combat mechanics.

Remove ads