• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JRPG Style Combat in TTRPGs

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Design Discussion: JRPG style combat in tabletop games. What I mean by that is to essentially remove or greatly simplify positioning and tactical movement. In essence you would have Front Rank, Back Rank and maybe a Long Range where you put snipers and flyers and stuff. It kind of has a "zone" feel, but even simpler. Obviously, lots of video game RPGS (from Japan!) use it.

Is it viable in a TTRPG? How would you modify a traditional TTRPG (like D&D) to use it? Would you?

Are there any TTRPGs that already use JRPG style combat?

Aldarc

Legend
Design Discussion: JRPG style combat in tabletop games. What I mean by that is to essentially remove or greatly simplify positioning and tactical movement. In essence you would have Front Rank, Back Rank and maybe a Long Range where you put snipers and flyers and stuff. It kind of has a "zone" feel, but even simpler. Obviously, lots of video game RPGS (from Japan!) use it.

Is it viable in a TTRPG? How would you modify a traditional TTRPG (like D&D) to use it? Would you?

Are there any TTRPGs that already use JRPG style combat?
Ryuutama: aka Studio Ghibli + Oregon Trail

Aldarc

Legend
Cool, although I personally would want something a little less pastoral.
Fair, but here is the battle mat:
Ryuutama-battlefield.png

There are a fair number of other JRPG inspired TTRPGs out there: e.g., Fabula Ultima, ICON, etc. However, I'm not sure how many opt for the sort of combat grids you have in mind.

dbm

Savage!
The One Ring has each PC choose a “stance” in combat: close, open, defensive or ranged. These affect you chance of hitting and being hit, and allow a different range of non-attack actions too (at least they did in the first edition, haven’t played second yet).

Functionally this is like the JRPG front / back rank with some extra granularity and nuance. It worked well.

aramis erak

Legend
The range band combat of FFG Star Wars & Genesys has been a constant issue for many; it's right up there with "funky dice" for negatives of the game. In no small measure this is because a maneuver at short range changes 10m while one at long is 50m +...

WEG Star Wars used a range band system for ship combat.... in 1E. 2E replaced that with movement on map based combat mechanics.

Remove ads