Judgement calls vs "railroading"

hawkeyefan

Legend
Perhaps people so keen to find such failings could have the decency to have tried the approach for themselves instead of engaging in empty speculation about a playstyle they have neither used nor understand.

Well, there are two ways to look at this.

The first is that I have played in very player driven games. But I have not played specific games as others have. In order to better understand them, I ask questions.

The second is from the other angle. For someone familiar with a playstyle or rule system in question, it makes sense that their perspective would be useful in a discussion about that topic. For me, limiting that perspective only to the positive skews the discussion.

I don't think that anyone wants an echo chamber.

I have plenty of experience of many types of play - gm-led and player-led, totally improvised to heavily scripted, scenarios and sandboxes and indie. I can run [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game. I'm fairly sure I can run [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]'s game. Can you? I'll discuss techniques and their potential difficulties with people who can say the same, not with internet gainsayers looking to point-score.

Sure. I wouldnt expect you to be familiar with all 120 odd pages of the thread, but I feel my game does what theirs do. I incorporate elements that are player driven, and elements that are GM driven into the game. However, I don't do so using the Dungeon World or Birning Wheel system that has been discussed.

I am admittedly unfamiliar with those games (BW more so than DW). So I ask questions about them. Asking about negative elements of those games or of the aystems themselves...or pain points on the part of users of those systems, if that is a more fitting way to view it...is not an attack on [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] nor on the game he runs nor the system he chooses to use.

When you buy a car, you want to know about the cons as much as the pros, yes?

So why are you asking about failings, exactly? What game are you playing or planning and what difficulties are you having? Or are you just parroting that guileless, point-scoring rubbish hoping for a line of attack on [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]?

I play D&D 5th edition. I said this earlier in the thread as well...which started off in the 5E forums, I'll add. You seem to be getting involved at this point in what had been a long and meandering discussion that's had several threads of its own.

There are lots of criticisms of 5E. Depending on who you ask and what they want out of the game, you'll get a variety of answers. For me, I find the system so easy to tweak that I can address any concerns my group and I have. Our biggest area of concern is likely the skill system. It's a little too simplified, and pretty unclear in some cases. We've been dealing with it and adjusting things here and there, though.

Another area where I am kind of dealing with it very loosely is the more character traits and bonds area. I find that the system in place and the Inspiration mechanic tied to it to be pretty bland. I've been abdicating it on the fly and allowing my players a lot of leeway in how they use inspiration, so it works for us. But I wouldnt mind seeing more takes on that part of the game. I don't know if I'd want such mechanics to be as central to the game as those of BW seem to be, but it'd be cool to see some options in that area of the game.

But all in all, my game achieves a lot of what pemerton and others have attributed to the mechanics of other games. So I'm curious about the necessity of those mechanics, and on what other complications may come alog with them.

Based on what experiences? None is the answer, and no plans to either. So on what basis are you saying these things? Unless you can describe a player-led game you are playing or trying to run and want to discuss actual play, in the real world, with your own experiences... don't waste my time.

I can't waste your time, only you can do so. You can feel free to reply to me or not...but whichever you do, I hope you relax.

pemerton

Legend
Deciding that there are no bowls in a room is just fine without a roll, so long as the DM has done so with a reason for the lack of bowls that makes sense and could be understood in the gameworld. Not based on secret backstory, but on presented and predictable information.
But isn't this an instance of exactly the phenomenon I am describing? A player declares an action for his/her PC ("I look around the room for a bowl") and the GM responds "Sorry, no bowls" without engaging the resolution mechanics, but simply by reference to backstory which the player doesn't know - because of course, if the player knew there were no bowls in the room, s/he wouldn't have declared that her PC is looking for one!

Whether the GM's fiction is authored in the moment, or is prewritten (say, in a room key) is an interesting further thing - that it be pre-authored in a room key is fairly central to classic dungeoneering, whereas spontaneous authorship is probably more the norm in what, upthread, was being described as "storyteller" style. What [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] called "free krieggspeil" allows for spontaneous authorship subject to studied fidelity to the established fiction and expert knowledge - I think in the case of a bowl in a room, though, expert knowledge and fidelity to the established ficiton probably don't answer the question, and so a Moldvay Basic-style setting of a chance and then roll of the dice might be more apporpriate.

But that further interesting thing, and the different sorts of playstyles it can feed into, doesn't really bear on my personal dislike of the technique.

why did you pick finding a container to be the crux of the scene instead of whether or not the PC could, with a container, actually collect sufficient blood? Would it not have been the same, and possibly even better since it's testing PC ability, to test to catch the blood after "say(ing) yes' to the presence of a bowl?

it appears that there's multiple ways to skin this cat. The 'yes bowl, test catch' method works just fine with DM judgement and secret backstory, AND with the player-centric principles you've proposed. The 'test bowl, yes catch' seems odd, in that it's focusing on the presence of a bowl rather than PC action.
Better for whom?

A game focused on seeing how good the PC is at catching blood in bowls? Absolutely. But that wasn't the game I was GMing.

What the player put into play was the presence or absence of a bowl.. In the moment of play, that was the thing that the player cared about - "My master wants to offer the blood to the spirits, the blood is spilling out, is there anything to catch it in!" So the focus was on the presence of a bowl - that's how the check was framed. (And I don't know why that is especially odd. There is literary precedent for focusing on the presence or absence of something that will aid the protagonist, rather than the protagonist's performance as such: "My kingdom for a horse!" There is also RPGing precedent: D&D wizards need objects, like spellbooks and components, and are vulnerabl without them. But we rarely check to sre if they can successfuly cast their spells.)

An important element of GM judgement, in my preferred approach to RPGing, is to go where the action is. In the BW Adventure Burner (recapitulated in the Codex), Luke Crane has a bit where he says (I think it's a heading, or maybe an intro sentence), "Don't be a wet blanket, Mr GM." In other words, judging where the action is, and then recognising when the time has come to "say 'yes'", is a pretty key GMing skill.

My sense of Framing is that this is where the GM places the PCs at the start of a game or session, correct?
Not really. Every time the GM narrates the ingame situation to the players, and then asks them (expressly or implicitly) "What do you do?" is a moment of framing. The response is action declaration: "OK, my guy is going to . . ."

Some of the fictional elements used in establighin a scene are just colour: eg the drow tentacle rods are a lurid purple (I think - it's been a while) rather than (say) swirling aquamarine. That is, they don't matter to resolution but just add flavour, reinforce theme, etc.

What counts as colour vs framing in the stricter sense is highly context dependent. If one of the players suddenly remembers "Don't we have a scroll of protection from purple weapons?", then what the GM may have intended only as colour suddenly becomes part of the framing more strictly construed. As I've mentioned upthread, it can also be the case that stuff that at one point of play was mere colour (a yellow-robed skulker has been seen around the place) can beomce jpart of the framing of a subsequent situation.

The relationship of the PCs to the framing fiction is fictional positioning. You'll have seen [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] upthread emphasising how important he finds it, in RPGing, to be able to skillfully engage the fictional positioning. This is also an important part of clasic D&D play (I don't necessarily disagree with the difference Campbell has noted between B/X and Gygaxian AD&D, but put them to one side for present purposes). For instance, in White Plume Mountain there are doors, and there are pits with super-tetanus spikes in a frictionless corridor. The pits are not mere colour: they matter to resolution of declarations of movement down the corridor. Are the doors mere colour? At first blsuh, perhaps - or, at best, the checks needed to open them play a "clock" function in generating wandering monster checks. But then a player says, "Can't we take the doors of their hinges so as to surf down the frictionless corridor over the pits?" Now the doors are part of the framing, and the PC's ability (in the fiction) to use them, has become an important element of fictional positioning.

How players can change their PCs' fictional positioning, and hence change the sorts of options open to them in action declaration, is a big difference in RPG systems. One way of stating my dislike of the use of secret backstory to adjudicate action declarations is that the players are subject to fictional positioning of their PCs that they are unaware of and can't (in any meaningful sense) control.

(What counts as meaningful obviously is highly context dependent.)

But the GM does not have any secret backstory to draw from....so he is drawing everything from what has been established by the players' actions, right?
No.

For me as a GM, one of the most important things is to settle on the framing of situations. This includes determining the right mix of elements that arise from or reflect past events, plus new elements that speak to the salient player/PC concerns. In this second category there are at least two subcategorise: stuff that emerges from things the players have previously made part of the fiction (eg a new member of a secret society that is part of a PC's backstory); new stuff that the GM introduces (eg a new NPC trying to hunt down members of the secret society).

Two examples of that last sub-category from upthread: not because I'm denying you any courtesies (I hope) but because you might have seen some of the posts and so they might ring bells.

(1) The renegade wastrel elf (in BW this is called a dark elf, but is not a drow in the D&D sense - more like Maeglin and Eorl in The Silmarillion). I introduced this character into the fiction as part of the narration of consequences of failure on a check to travel safely across the Bright Desert to the Abor-Alz. The navigating PC was the elven ronin, who has a Belief to always keep the elven ways, and so a renegade elf who fouls waterholes seemed fitting. (And I had just been re-reading The Silmarillion.)

I hope that the above exposition makes clear the difference between this being an elf and (say) an orc. The latter - whether or not it would have been good GMing (the same PC also has an Instinct to attack orcs when he sees them) - would have carried quite different thematic weight.

And having it be a dwarf would have been bad GMing, because nothing about any of the PCs would be spoken to by having the destination waterhole be fouled by a dwarf.

(2) The yellow-robed leader of the goblin army, who - it turned out - was the advisor to the baron of the city the PCs ended up arriving at, and liberating from the threat of the goblin army, around low-to-mid paragon tier.

This character was first introduced as colour: another NPC told the PCs of a yellow-robed skulker hanging around ancient minotaur tombs. The tombs were significant for three reasons: (i) prior events had established that dwarvish culture had minotaur roots, and one of the PCs was a dwarf, with strong loyalties to the dwarvish clans and traditions; (ii) the minotaurs were the predecessor culture to the Nerathi empire, and one of the PCs was trying to restore the Nerathi civilisation; (iii) the tombs had some sort of connection to Orcus (the Raven Queen's arch-nemesis), and several PCs were Raven Queen devotees of varying degrees of fanaticism.

Dropping in the skulker sows a seed for future colour and framing: later on the PCs saw him fly off from a goblin fortress on his carpet (as I posted upthread, I think this was in the context of an infiltration skill challenge); and later on still they discovered that he was the baron's advisor, and that no one in the city new that he was actually a Vecna-cultist with various nefarious plans.

pemerton said:
If the GM is doing this in his/her own time, and simply making notes in a folder headed "Campaign Record", then - at that point - it is not even clear what it would mean to say that it is part of the shared fiction. Who is it shared with?
there are two ways this could factor in. The first would be the GM deciding, when the PCs don't pursue the assassin, "okay, here's what happens as a result....I'll make a note of it in case it matters later on". The second would be the Gm deciding later on when it does in fact come into play what had happened with the king and the assassin.
The first that you describe seems to be the same as what I said: the GM makes notes in a folder headed "Campaign Record".

The question implicit in what I've been posting is: what is the status of that GM note?

If it's ideas/plans for possible future framings, consequences etc then it is not, at present, part of the shared fiction at all, and hence not secret backstory because not any sort of backstory. An illustration of what I've got in mind: the GM might nnes "assassin escaped, head's to PCs' home village". Then, when the PCs return to their village, the GM mentions a new village resident who doesn't leave his house very often and wears a heavy cowl when he does. Depending on context, that bit of GM narration is either colour or framing. At the point of narration it becomes part of the shared fiction. And whether or not it is an instance of what I have called GM-driven or player-driven play is impossible to tell from what I've just described, because we know nothing about how the assassination of the king, the fate of the assassin, and the PCs' home village, fit into any player goals/concerns/interests expressed/manifested via PC build and play of the PCs.

But here's another possibility: the GM makes notes that the assassin is hiding out in the PCs' home village. And that various friends, family etc of the PCs, who live in that village, are cowed, murdered by the assassin, etc. Then (let's suppose) in the course of play, a player declares that his/her PC sends a message to the village, asking (say) a friend to do some small favour or other and then send a note back confirming it's been done. And the GM decides (behind the screen, as it were) that the messenger is intercepted by the assassin, the favour never performed, no return message sent, etc - and all the player knows is that, as time passes in the game and s/he asks the GM "Have I got a return message yet?", is that the GM answers "No, no return message". That would be an instance of the GM using secret backstory - ie fiction that s/he is treating as an established element of the gameworld, but that the players don't know about - as part of the framing, part of the fictional positioning, and adjudicating action declarations accordingly. That's an instance of what I don't enjoy./

why would the GM have the PCs' attempt to reach the court rebuffed without explaining why? You seem to attribute some need for secrecy here on the part of the GM, but I cannot see why. Perhaps such an attempt is rebuffed, but the PCs find out it's because the king was killed....and they then recall that time when they had learned that an assassin may have been after the king, but they did nothing.....
I don't see this as fundamentally different.

When you say "the PCs find out" - well, there's many ways that can happen. Upthread, in discussing a comparable example, [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] suggested that an unexpcected rebuffing migh trigger the players (via their PCs) to start digging around. Or maybe the GM tells the players as part of the narration of the failure: "Your contact at court says sorry, but you're not welcome - something to do with the recent assassination of the king." And of course there are other possiblities as well.

It's nevertheless the case that the action declaration is failing on account of the GM treating, as part of the backstory which contributes to fictional positioning and hence factors into adjudication, something that the players don't have access to as part of the framing of the situation.

It's got the same basic structure as the message-to-the-home-village example that I just spelled out.

Here are the three elements as you originally presented them:
(i) having regard to consistency with the fiction already established in the course of play
(ii) having regard to the concerns/interests of the players as manifested through their creation and their play of their PCs
(iii) bound by the outcomes of action resolution

I decide I am going to run the Tyranny of Dragons Adventure Path. I discuss this with my players. Each of them creates a Forgotten Realms character for the game. Each of them creates ties to the Sword Coast region. For additional investment, I look at the ideas they come up with, and I take elements from the Adventure Path, and tie them to the characters. Then we play the game and I let things play out as they would based on the performance of the PCs.

It seems that this game fits all the criteria you've cited.
That's at such a level of abstraction I can't tell. When I am talking about (i), (ii) and (iii) I am talking about them operating as constraints at every moment of framing. One result of (ii) is that it shapes narration of failure, which therefore feeds into (i) and (iii) in framing new situations. I find it almost impossible to conceive of how that could operate over (say) 10 sessions of play and yet the outcomes and hence the framings still fit within the framework of a 100+ page AP.

Now, if by "running ToD" you mean taking bits from it and adapting them, shaping them etc so that, as your campaign unfolds, so that you use particular maps, NPCs etc in your game but the actual sequence, story etc is quite different - well, I can see that. But that wasn't what I took you to mean when you talked about "running an AP".

Just looking at the first half of a 30-ish page module: Bastion of Broken Souls. That has at least two encounters in it which open by saying that the NPC in question (an angel, and a banished god) fights the PCs and can't be reasoned with. In each case my players approached the encounter by reasoning with the NPC. I had to ignore those bits of instruction to the GM - which are instructions to the GM to declare action declarations unsuccessful on the basis of (silly) backstory known only to the GM. Which meant that the scenario unfolded quite differently from how the author of the module envisaged. Which meant that the second half - which assumes a certain pre-planned trajectory of events - was useless. (Which I suspected when I bought the module - it was somee of the ideas in the first half that seemed interesting to me.)

It is because this is my uniform experience with even short modules - ie there are some interesting ideas and situtaions, but the totality of the thing rests upon assumptions about frmaing, outcomes etc that are simply not compatible with player-driven RPGing - that I find it very hard to imagination a 100+ page AP unfolding differently.

there is no reason that a GM's desires for the game cannot be in harmony with that of the players.
This is true, but (as far as I can see) has no implications for how action declarations should be adjudicated.

For instance, I run games where my desires are (as far as I know) in harmony with those of my players. That's why I use some techniques but not others.

pemerton

Legend
I don't know that the methods are all that new.
The first published RPG I know of that set out the sorts of techniques I prefer is Maelstrom Storytelling (1997). I learned of it around 2004 from an essay on The Forge, and some years later found a second-hand copy at my local game shop. I've never run it, but its advice, plus some ideas in its resolution mechanics, were helpful for me in running skill challenges. A version of the system is downloadable for free under the name Story Bones.

I started running games in my preferred style back around 1987, but didn't have the same suite of resolution techniques that I'm now familiar with. I find it easier using those techniques (which is one reason why, though I still greatly admire it as a system, I would never run Rolemaster again).

whether such mechanics or methods would make a game better or not is subjective. For people to decide if such methods would help their game or hurt it, it would also help to be able to discuss the drawbacks of those methods or mechanics, right?
Well, what do you think the drawbacks are?

pemerton

Legend
what are the purpose of knowledge skills in your games. If there is no "secret backstory" to discover and the GM knows no more than the players about the fiction of the setting and it's being created as they all go along... what exactly do knowledge skills and their ilk do in your game since there's nothing to know beyond what exists in the now and what's already been established (all of which the PC's would already be aware of right?)...
Seems obvious they'd work like the perception check in the OP.
That's one way they're used, yep.

Another is as in my reply to [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] upthread, referring to the examples of severing Vecna's connection to his Eye, and sealing off the Abyss: as part of the resolution process the player declares something to be true in the fiction, and declares an action based on that. One consequence of failure may be that it wasn't true after all!

A third, in 4e, can be learning monster stats. (This is a very narrow application of [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]'s idea about secret info being implicit in the ficiton and recoverable via the right action declarations.)

A fourth, in MHRP/Cortex+, is using expertise in a field of knowledge to build a pool to achieve something where knowledge would help. (Eg when the players wanted to create a Plans of the Sewage etc Tunnels Under the Latverian Embassy assett, Bobby Drake's Business expertise, which includes knowledge of how to deal with bureaucracies, helped.)

There are probably others I'm not thinking of, or that I haven't experienced yet.

In the OP, the player asked if there was something he could catch blood in, the check to look for it determined if there was (success) or wasn't (failure). Sounds like either way the DM has to come up with some detail - like what the potential blood-catching vessel is, on a success.
Well, the player had suggested " . . . like a chamberpot?" And so when the PC spotted a vessel, it was a chamberpot. And then some time later, when the PCs were doing their runner, I said that he could have a jug-full of blood as well.

The chamberpot turned out to be an amusing option, because it then opened up the possibility of having the severed head sitting in it.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
What I still don't (and maybe never will) understand is why, when you present them, you usually present them in the light of being the wrong way to run a game
I've never said they're the wrong way to run a game. I've said that they're not how I like to run a game.

When you post things like this:

Your loss, I suppose.

Are you telling me that I'm doing something wrong? I take it that you're expressing a preference.

pemerton

Legend
In order to go where the action is, you need to know what the PC's action is. Not the PCs motivation.

If the PC attempts to haggle for some Calishite silks, I (the DM) don't need to know that he wants to purchase them for his mother.
In order to know whether or not framing a PC into an episode of haggling with a merchant over silk counts as "going where the action is" (in the relevant sense), one needs to know whether or not haggling with merchants is something that speaks to the player's concerns for the game (as expressed via build and play of the PC).

pemerton

Legend
pemerton[quote=Ilbranteloth said:
Jabal told them to leave town because they are bearers of a curse. Although you could just as easily said that "Jabal says leave town now, or there will be consequences," leaving the party wondering why they were debuffed.

Either result works for me
OK. But it's not the case that either result works for me. And when you say "I could just as easily" have used the second result, that's not actually true. Doing that would have been more-or-less breaking the rules of the game.
And that's one of the places that loses me in terms of BW/DW, that an ambiguous result is somehow breaking the rules of the game.

Or to put it a different way, it's an example of a game/rule that puts the game/rules ahead of the fiction. Despite the fact that the game is supposed to put the fiction first.[/quote]How is a rule being put ahead of the fiction?

Which is to say, why is the fiction of your second option superior to the first, or true to the established fiction.

And from the point of RPGing, what benefit do you think flows from the players not understanding the motivations of hostile NPCs? Upthread, [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] called this "find the plot" RPGing. And [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] referred, in this sort of case, to the players taking steps to find out what explains the NPC's behaviour. What makes this superior to the players knowing the NPC's motivation?

1) The party asks for an audience with the king, and are rebuffed - because, they are told, the king has been assassinated.

2) The party asks for an audience with the king, and are rebuffed. Pressing, they are told that the reasons for being rebuffed are not your concern. If the king does not wish to see you, then he will not see you.

3) The party asks for an audience with the king, and are rebuffed - because, they are told, that the king is busy with important matters out of state, and the date of his return is not until next week. The reality is, the king has been assassinated, and the doppelgängers responsible for it, are still making proper preparations to secretly take control.
There is no answering these question in the abstract. Everything depends on what the players, through build and play of their PCs, have signalled as salient matters to engage with.

It also depends on the context of narration. Are these narrations of failed action resolution? Or mechanically un-mediated GM responses to action declarations? (Which is what I have referred to as "failure consequent on application of GM secret backstory.)

In short, and as I've posted multiple times upthread, simply from a recount of some fictional episoe we can't tell how it took place at the RPG table.

isn't that the game limiting the stories that can be told with that system. That certain story lines are prohibited?
No.

The structure of (3) above is very similar to the following: The PCs look for a mace in a tower, but can't find it. In fact, this is because it has been taken from the tower by the renegade elf who has been stalking them ever since they entered the Abor-Alz from the Bright Desert. Which occurred in the OP game.

Issues of GMing technique aren't about what stories can be told They're about how stories are authored by a group of people playing a RPG together.

In the case of the mace and the renegade elf: (i) the declaration that there is no mace (which is the structural analogue of being rebuffed by the King's court) is consequent on a failed check; (ii) the revelation that the mace is in the hands of the elf (which is the structural analogue of the reality being that the doppelgangers have taken over the court) is part of the framing of a subsequent encounter, where the elf attacks the PCs wielding the mace.

the framing of the scene (does that include, "OK, you kick in the door, and the room is a square, roughly 30 feet per side, with some discarded furniture and moldy tapestries hanging on the other three walls). Is the boxed text in a published adventure "framing the fiction?"
The boxed text would generally be part of framing a situation, yes.

In D&D, the narration of consequences occurs after things like the declaration of actions, and the resolution of actions as well. In many cases this also includes quite a bit of discussion and exploration. These are not "framing" or "narration of consequences" so where to they fall in the fiction?
That sounds like narration of consequences. If a player says (in character) "I look behind the tapestry" that is an action declaration. If the GM says "You see a blank wall" that is a narration of consequence by way of "saying 'yes'" - ie no check is called for for the players' action to succeed - and also framing (you're faced by a blank wall - what do you do?).

As to secret backstory, again I go back to Star Wars. Luke has a significant backstory. It is a secret from him, although parts of it are known to people (NPCs) that come into the story very early on. That backstory has a hugely significant impact on Luke's story from the very point that Vader says, "I am your father." As I pointed out, that changed the story from rebellion to redemption.

Would this story break the rules?
Who can tell, without knowing how it was established via the processes of play?

In the OP game, I fairly recently established - by way of framing - that the mage PC and his demon-possessed brother are half-brothers: the father of the brother is the abbot who arrived in Hardby to officiate at the wedding of the Gynarch and Jabal, who - decades earlier - was a young priest at the court where the brothers' mother lived.

That was consistent with the established fiction and, at the moment of play, seemed appropriate - the PC was at the docks, hoping to meet a friendly cleric in the abbot's entourage who could cure his mummy rot, and both (i) saw the abbot come off the boat, and (ii) saw his brother across the crowd, watching the abbot's arrival with a mixture of longing (filial affection) and hatred (demonic possession).

Through back-and-forth with the player about what he (in character) could see, and what he (in character) could recall of his childhood and family history, the backstory just described was established. It heightened the stakes of the scene, and led to the player rewriting a Belief, to read "Now that I've seen my brother, I pity him".

That's not identical to the Star Wars plotline, but it's comparable.

To reiterate: player-driven RPGing techniques aren't focused on content. The concern is with the process of establishing that fiction.

pemerton

Legend
a TV show also has the advantage of being able to foreshadow - that seemingly unimportant character who appeared for a few moments in episode 6 will in fact be the driving force behind the story arc of episodes 17 through 20. But from the viewpoint of watching episode 12 the audience has no way of knowing this yet, and no reason to care

<snip>

A DM who plans ahead can also effectively plan and use foreshadowing. A DM whose story has no planning has to rely on the luck of foreshadowing after the fact - an odd idea, I know, but by it I mean this:

- story element X happens organically during tonight's session, somewhat out of nowhere
- DM and-or players look back through notes or memories and think "Cool! I foreshadowed that perfectly five sessions ago without intending to! Lucky me!"

Foreshadowing isn't supposed to work that way.
My first response is, Why not?

I've never written for TV or comics, but my guess would be that it's not uncommon for the writers to pick up on stuff that was written into one episode just as a bit of colour of side-plot, and then build it up in a later episode into something more significant.

My second response, then, is that this sort of thing is quite common in RPGing, at least in my experience: story element X occurs in the course of play; some time later, the GM picks upon story element X and uses it as part of the framing or other narration of some new situation. The first occurrence becomes foreshadowing of the second.

Eg in this session, the PCs in my main 4e game travelled back in time, and rescued an apprentice wizard trapped in a mirror. When, several sessions later, the PCs (back in the "present") went to dinner with the baron, they saw some paintings on the wall of his hall:

One had a young woman, who was the spitting image of a wizard's apprentice they had recently freed from a trapping mirror - except that adventure had happened 100 years in the past (under a time displacement ritual), and this painting was clearly newly painted. Another, older, painting was of a couple, a man resembling the Baron, and a woman resmembling the rescued apprentice but at an older age.

The events of the first scenario foreshadowed the PCs' encounter with the baron's family in the present, including his niece who is the spitting image of her great-grandmother, the rescued apprentice.

But no one - neither player nor GM - knew at the time of the first scneario that it would foreshadow the second, becuse the second hadn't even been conceived of yet.

EDIT: This is what [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] calls "referential", not true foreshadowing. But the experience for the audience - in terms of connecting recurrent story elements to expectations about the fiction - is the same.

EDIT THE SECOND: And I see that I was ninja-ed by [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] in my description of how episodic fiction is authored.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
See his comment upthread where he said DMs playing my playstyle don't have to take the players feelings and desires into consideration. That's patently false statement.
Well, what you say here is a false account of what I said.

What I said was that, in GM-driven play, the GM is permitted to author ficiton without being constrained by the concerns/interests that the players have expressed via the build and/or play of their PCs. That is to say, the GM is permitted to drive the focus of play. That's the very essence of GM-driven play.

For instance, look at [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION]'s example of the doppelgangers taking over the king. Ilbranteloth doesn't treat it, as a constraint on making that a part of the game, that one or more of the players have expressed - via build oer play of PC - a concern with doppelgangers taking over the kingdom.

pemerton is the one who specified players, and players is what I took exception to.
I also said as expressed through the build and play of their PCs. Having said that once (for player-driven GMing), I don't think I spelled it out the second time (for GM-driven GMing) because I took it to be implicit in the drawing of a contrast between the two.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
it does seem to me that Burning World and similar games seem to limit how stories can be crafted.
Well, yes, that's the point of using technique (A) rather than techinque (B): to have the ficiton be authored/established the A-way rather than the B-way.

But [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] seemed to be arguing that this also limits the content of the fiction. But I don't think that is so. (Or, if there are limits, they aren't the ones that Ilbranteloth has pointed to. There may be some limits on the extent to which an Agatha Christie-style mystery can be created, although I haven't pushed those limits to find out what, if any, they might be. There can certainly be mysteries that are uncovered: see eg this actual play report.)

Last edited:

Remove ads