• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement calls vs "railroading"

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
It is less while suited to deep mythology, grand narrative, epic clashes, Tom Clancying and the like. I have other approaches that I prefer for those types of games.

Out of curiousity, do you consider D&D 5e better suited to the type of game you prefer, or a deep mythology/epic clash sort of style? Or do you consider it to be style-agnostic?

This is true, but again on its own it doesn't differentiate very much. Framing by the GM might fit this description, but that's very different from (say) massaging or nudging at action declaration or resolution so as to produce a pre-planned outcome.

In my personal experience, the GM doesn't need to shape events - beyond framing - in order to form a narrative of some sort.

And what if the massaging and nudging has nothing to do with achieving pre-planned outcomes, and everything to do with sheparding and enhancing the narrative that emerges to the tastes and preferences of the players?

I would be inclined to suspect that an emergent narrative tailored on-the-fly to the players (and PCs) in question would be far more reliably fun than a "let the chips fall where they may approach" where the appeal of the emergent narrative will have much greater variability.

I don't find the notion of "sidetrack" at all helpful. The action is what it is. There's just one track.

I'm not sure if this is another example of where our styles radically diverge, or if we're just using similar language to refer to different things. It sounds like you're saying that you see no value in having multiple things going on at once in the game--that all you care about is the action in the moment. Is that correct? For me, both as a player and a DM, I highly value "plot-weaving" where there are a multitude of things going on at once, both related to each other and unrelated, pulling the PCs in different directions at once and offering a vibrancy/complexity that one-thing-at-time doesn't seem to provide. (Note that all of the "plots" can still be emergent results of play--I'm not referring to predetermined outcomes or paths, although those can be woven too.)

Out of curiousity, how would you classify the DMing style I've described, where the DM is heavily involved in sheparding the game, there is a "secret backstory" that informs action resolution but isn't set in stone until revealed, and there are no predetermined outcomes or paths? That doesn't seem to fit into any of the categories you and Campbell have suggested, nor is it an obvious hybrid of two categories.

hawkeyefan

Legend
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]

I think your scenario 3 is the closest I'd say to the game I play. Although it's far from a great match.

And in this scenario, there is still plenty to find out through play...it is not a case of all the important bits having already been decided.

Most prominently would be "do they succeed?" Just because the campaign is going to revolve around a quest does not mean that the quest has been completed. You play the game to find out if the PCs can accomplish their task.

Also...how they go about doing so. "How" is such a vital part of the story....all we've established is what they have to do. How they do so is up to them. The players utilize the elements of the fictional world that are established through play to determine how they try to complete their quest.

There is no need for each step of the journey to already be determined by the DM. There's no reason your style of scene framing cannot be put to use in this game. There's no reason why some level of player authorship cannot take place, either prior to the star or during play, if that's what the group would like.

There's also not a need for the DM to undermine player choice in order to "keep things on track". There is no outcome that the DM is steering for. The players are aware of the ultimate goal, and so they tend to stay relatively aimed in that direction, so to speak. There may still be plenty of room for them to wander a bit...examine other story elements that are tangential to the main quest, but may be important in some other way.

This has been a very good thread. Thanks [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] , [MENTION=6802765]Xetheral[/MENTION], [MENTION=6846794]Gardens & Goblins[/MENTION], [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] for participating (and for the nature of your participation). Unfortunately, [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] , [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] , your contributions have been mostly crap.

I don't have time to respond/comment tonight, but I will in the coming days.

pemerton

Legend
And what if the massaging and nudging has nothing to do with achieving pre-planned outcomes, and everything to do with sheparding and enhancing the narrative that emerges to the tastes and preferences of the players?
Then I want to know why we're using a broken game that doesn't do that already!

(Or even - why are we rolling dice at all, if we already know what we want and are going to nudge and massage to get there anyway?)

I would be inclined to suspect that an emergent narrative tailored on-the-fly to the players (and PCs) in question would be far more reliably fun than a "let the chips fall where they may approach" where the appeal of the emergent narrative will have much greater variability.
Again, this makes me think the system is broken.

It sounds like you're saying that you see no value in having multiple things going on at once in the game--that all you care about is the action in the moment. Is that correct?
I don't think so.

In the game mentioned in the OP, here are the things currently "going on": two PCs are in custody; one of those PCs wants to get blood to his naga master; one of those PCs wants the wizard-assassin who killed his brother to help summon his brother's dead spirit; a third PC wants to do right by his employer (the mage who owns the tower) but also to see his former master (killed by a black arrow) avenged; the tower-owning mage is betrothed to the Gynarch of Hardby, but the marriage taking place was contingent on him finding the (now dead) brother for her; the wizard-assassin has stolen a chest of gold intended as a wedding gift and has squirrelled it away; the stolen wedding gifts also included Thelon's Orb, a corrupted and demon-summoning elvish jewel, but the brother PC stole this from the assassin PC and has hidden it in the altar of the Cathedral of Hardby; the same brother PC wants to travel to the Bright Desert to explore a pyramid that may contain clues to the ancient battle between angels and demons that he believes presages what he believes to be the coming apocalypse (of which he's seen signs, including a hellfire preacher whom he wants to track down); and probably other stuff I'm not remembering right now.

My point is that there is no "main plot" vs "side plot" here. There's just the stuff that is happening in the game.

Out of curiousity, how would you classify the DMing style I've described, where the DM is heavily involved in sheparding the game, there is a "secret backstory" that informs action resolution but isn't set in stone until revealed, and there are no predetermined outcomes or paths?
Can you say more about "secret backstory" that informs action resolution but isn't set in stone until revealed?

Here's an example. As far as I know it's not at all what you've got in mind, but it would fall under the phrase you use:

A PC casts a spell to charm the king's chamberlain. The GM decides (unilaterally) that the chamberlain has a ring of immunity to mind control, and so tells the player "Your spell doesn't work."​

That is a case of "secret backstory" not being set in stone until revealed. I would normally consider that, though, to be an instance of what (in the OP) I called railroading. A possible exception might be if it is an instance of what [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] has called "refereeing" - but personally I would expect a "referee" GM to make that sort of decision in advance of actually resolving the episode where the PC confronts the chamberlain, so that the players have a chance to learn about the chamberlain's anti-magic ring (eg by scrying, spying, collecting rumours etc).

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Then I want to know why we're using a broken game that doesn't do that already!

(Or even - why are we rolling dice at all, if we already know what we want and are going to nudge and massage to get there anyway?)

In response to your first question, how can a game be designed by a third party to take into account the specific tastes and preferences of the players at your table? As I see it, one of the key advantages of having a DM is the ability to tailor the game to the table.

Your second question makes me think you missed the part where I described the massaging and nudging as "[having] nothing to do with achieving pre-planned outcomes". If you did miss it, I can't emphasize it enough: it's a key part of the question I asked you. If you didn't miss it, then I don't at all understand your second question: if there are no pre-planned outcomes, the dice would seem to be extremely relevant to determining what the outcomes are.

I don't think so.

My point is that there is no "main plot" vs "side plot" here. There's just the stuff that is happening in the game.

Ok cool--I was misunderstanding what you were saying. Thank you for clarifying.

Can you say more about "secret backstory" that informs action resolution but isn't set in stone until revealed?

Happy to.

When I DM I have certain elements of the setting already in mind. For one thing, I use a persistant campaign world, so, at a minimum, the events of previous campaigns are established lore. (New players, of course, will not know this lore.) On top of that, I usually come up with elements of the starting setting for a new campaign, including geography, culture, NPCs the party might come into contact with (both specifically-placed and generic), events likely to occur in the near future, plots the PCs may be interested in, etc. Based on this thread, it is my understanding that you consider all of that to be "secret backstory". I will use that backstory to inform action resolution: if , e.g., a player asks a local to find out what inns are in town, I will answer with the details I already have (possibly filtered through the opinions of the NPC sharing the information).

However, until I share it, the details are flexible. If, at the time the player asks, they're looking for a specific variety of inn, I might well change one of the pre-planned inns (or add one) to provide some or all of what the player is looking for. I will only do this if the following conditons are met:

1. I think having the type of inn the PC is looking for will make the game more enjoyable for the players as a group.
  2. It's just (or almost) as plausible for that type of inn to be present instead of, or in addition to, the ones I had planned.
  3. I can make the change invisibly.

If what the PC is looking for is plausible but unlikely, I might announce probabilities and then roll percentile dice to determine if it is present. (What I will never do is make the presence of the desired type of inn depend on player's check to gather information.)

If instead what the player is looking for is already on my list, I'm not going to remove it from the list to frustrate the player. Exception: if the player is trying to take the game in a direction the other players are trying to avoid and wouldn't enjoy, then I might remove it from the list, depending heavily on the specifics at the table at the time. For example, if the player of a racist PC is looking for an inn catering to Elven patrons specifically to go make trouble in order to hog the spotlight, then I might remove an Elven inn from a premade list (and have an OOC talk with the player after the game). Otherwise, I don't make changes to try to thwart the PCs.

Here's an example. As far as I know it's not at all what you've got in mind, but it would fall under the phrase you use:

A PC casts a spell to charm the king's chamberlain. The GM decides (unilaterally) that the chamberlain has a ring of immunity to mind control, and so tells the player "Your spell doesn't work."​

That is a case of "secret backstory" not being set in stone until revealed. I would normally consider that, though, to be an instance of what (in the OP) I called railroading. A possible exception might be if it is an instance of what [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] has called "refereeing" - but personally I would expect a "referee" GM to make that sort of decision in advance of actually resolving the episode where the PC confronts the chamberlain, so that the players have a chance to learn about the chamberlain's anti-magic ring (eg by scrying, spying, collecting rumours etc).

I would also consider that railroading, but since I don't make changes to the "secret backstory" to thwart the PCs, your example can't arise under my style.

If the presence of the ring was pre-planned, instead I'd make a big deal of the fact that the spell failed, give a vivid description of what the failure felt like to the caster and how unusual it was (or how familiar if the PC had encountered such rings before), and let the players decide if they want to further investigate the cause and/or the significance of the fact that the chamberlain has such a ring.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Minor epiphany, here:

In response to your first question, how can a game be designed by a third party to take into account the specific tastes and preferences of the players at your table?
One obvious way is to have a market. Many game designers produce many, many games, each tailored to a very specific set of tastes and preferences. Gamers participate in the market, buying the game that's best for them, then find groups playing that specific game. If a group's collective tastes change over time, they change to playing a different game.

Game designers have plenty to do.

Now that I think of it, this would be the ideal state of affairs under the Forge's theories. And, the Forge were, of course, indie game designers.

As I see it, one of the key advantages of having a DM is the ability to tailor the game to the table.

Or, of course, you could have a single game, played universally, that is so bad that the DM /must/ change or ignore the system to run it at all, so will naturally tailor the experience to the specific tastes and preference of his table ("bad rules make good games").

Gamers all pay the same game so there's no inefficiency of evaluating and learning many different games, instead gamers join groups based on commonly-held preferences and tastes. If those tastes change, the DM just caters to the new tastes.

Neither of those ideals sound ideal, to me, nor do hypothetical 'middle road' compromises between them. ;(

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But if everyone at the table wants to tell the LotR story, why are we rolling dice? What are they contributing to the experience? I'm sure there's an answer, but I personally don't know what it is.
What if everyone at the table just wants to tell *a* story (which the DM may or may not have pre-determined to a large extent) but won't know what it is until it's been played through? The underlying reason for play - from the players' side - then becomes untangling the mystery of the story, while allowing for diversions and unrelated adventuring along the way as well.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Secret backstory decisions are by their very nature made in advance - or should be, at least. If the chamberlain is in fact an undercover spy for the Corvites then (in theory) the DM already knows this and (again in theory) knows what defenses said chamberlain might have going for him that a more ordinary chamberlain might not.

But if the chamberlain's just a chamberlain then giving him an immunity on the fly to just what the PC is trying at that moment is, I agree, very bad form.

Then again, the DM simply saying "your spell doesn't work" could just be the narration of a made save. Only after repeated attempts would the caster realize (I hope!) there's more to this guy than meets the eye.

Lan-"NOOOoooooooo, not the chamberlain again!"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Or, of course, you could have a single game, played universally, that is so bad that the DM /must/ change or ignore the system to run it at all, so will naturally tailor the experience to the specific tastes and preference of his table ("bad rules make good games").

Gamers all pay the same game so there's no inefficiency of evaluating and learning many different games, instead gamers join groups based on commonly-held preferences and tastes. If those tastes change, the DM just caters to the new tastes.

Neither of those ideals sound ideal ...
::shrug:: This one sounds fine to me, provided that said "single game" is flexible enough to withstand some kitbashing and remain (or become) playable. Also, it's always possible that the "single game" might not be so bad as to be completely unplayable as written, and thus a DM could run it stock if that's what worked for her and her group. 1e was this. 5e is trying to be.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This has been a very good thread.
Agreed. One of the better ones of late.
Unfortunately, [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] , [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] , your contributions have been mostly crap.
Disagreed. Without these three (along with the rest of you) saying what they've had to say this thread wouldn't have been nearly as interesting, or as much fun. After all, it's not much of a debate if everyone's on the same side. :)

Lan-"and without [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] we'd not have had the thread at all: he did, after all, start it"-efan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads