Judges Guild Founder died today.

KenSeg

First Post
As a player from the 1970s, I am saddened to hear of his passing. Fair horizons on your next adventure.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

I knew that he was very sick but it is still a little bit of a shock to know that he has finally gone. Goodbye Bob. You will be missed.

This is a sad year so far for gamers.

Olaf the Stout

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Judges Guild formed a large part of my early RPG gaming. In general I liked the JG material better than the TSR products of the same time, in my opinion they were better adventures despite being less expensive.

My sympathies for all his friends and family. Rest in peace.

The Auld Grump

IvarBoneCrusher

First Post
Bob Bledsaw

Bob was a really, really great guy. I mean aside from the fact that he was one of the very small circle of people who really made this hobby and the game of D&D what it is and what so many people love (again, check out Gary Gygax's opening comments in the Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide from 1st edition if you want to know who the main contributors were to the early days of the movement). But, aside from all of that, and the worlds and characters that he helped to create which have delighted so many for so long and will continue to do so for years, Bob was just a really nice person. He was always positive as opposed to negative, always inclusive as opposed to exclusive, always encouraging, always humble, always a leader in a "hey, let's go, we can do it!" kind of way. He was always trying to find a way to make something good happen, as opposed to finding every excuse in the book for why we shouldn't do something. He was a silver-lining kind of guy. And, yes, he was a gamer.

Aside from the whole RPG business, people like Bob make the world a better place. I am deeply saddened at his passing, and I also extend my condolences to his family and close friends. I will miss his encouragement and guidance, and I will miss having the comfortable knowledge that, even after all of these years, he was still down there in Decatur, cranking out good ideas and starting up projects. He has inspired a great many people, including myself. And I liked the fact that he always ended his e-mails with: "Your friend, Bob".

God Bless, Bob. Rest in peace, my friend.

Your Friend, Steve

Steve Stottrup
Chicago

IvarBoneCrusher

First Post
And by the way

For those who are wondering why so many people, including the late Gary Gygax, expressed so much appreciation and gratitude for Bob Bledsaw's contributions to D&D and the Fantasy Role Playing Game industry, you might want to grab a copy of City State of the Invincible Overlord and check it out. This fantasy setting was a first of its kind when it was published and sold at one of the early Gen Con's in Lake Geneva. The original and first revised editions can be found on auction sites such as eBay, but the revised 3.5 D20 version from Necromancer Games is still available:

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=531

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy v3.5 from Necromancer Games is, I believe, sold out and has to be found on the aftermarket. But the revised CSIO is still on the shelves. CSIO can be placed in just about any fantasy setting with only minor modification, and it leads to dozens and dozens of individual adventures all on its own, in addition to serving as the best fantasy game 'base' of all time.

Imperialus

Explorer
IvarBoneCrusher said:
For those who are wondering why so many people, including the late Gary Gygax, expressed so much appreciation and gratitude for Bob Bledsaw's contributions to D&D and the Fantasy Role Playing Game industry, you might want to grab a copy of City State of the Invincible Overlord and check it out. This fantasy setting was a first of its kind when it was published and sold at one of the early Gen Con's in Lake Geneva. The original and first revised editions can be found on auction sites such as eBay, but the revised 3.5 D20 version from Necromancer Games is still available:

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=531

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy v3.5 from Necromancer Games is, I believe, sold out and has to be found on the aftermarket. But the revised CSIO is still on the shelves. CSIO can be placed in just about any fantasy setting with only minor modification, and it leads to dozens and dozens of individual adventures all on its own, in addition to serving as the best fantasy game 'base' of all time.

I remember a friend of mine setting an entire campaign in The City. I can't even remember the cities actual name. It was always just The City. Some of my best D&D memories are of desperate fights in the back alleys and taverns of it. It gradually took on a very strong Thieves World flavor as we climbed to the top of the cities underworld. Heck that campaign still influences how I portray cities in my games, even modern ones like Shadowrun.

Remove ads