Judges Guild setting

rounser

First Post
I'm not sure I'd be all that harsh...although Ryan Dancey has described many TSR employees from back in the day as seeing game design as merely a stepping stone in the writing game to getting "real novels" published...and where some of those ex-game designers have ended up bears this out. :)

No, I think it's ingrained in RPG culture...many people who should know better unconciously or implicitly assume that FRPGs are fantasy novel simulations, and therefore develop worlds with lots of macro level detail that work well as backgrounds for novels, but not for games...especially other people's games, where macro level detail often gets in the way more than it helps. I think that lots of macro level structuring has been accepted since Greyhawk (yes, Blackmoor predates it, but not publishing-wise AFAIK) as just The Way You Make A Setting, and goes unchallenged almost across the board because it's just the done thing. Greyhawk featured in it's early incarnations a lot of macro level abstract stuff, as opposed to JG setting's micro level abstract stuff. Unfortunately, the micro level stuff ages quicker (thus the Necro update) and doesn't sell novels (thus WotC probably won't bother to enter this arena). :)

The difference is marked. You can take the City State and build out, or take Furyondy and build in. Which requires the least work for your first few sessions, and which is less likely to impose macro level canon bondage-and-discipline restrictions on your campaign themes as your campaign grows? Hmmm?

IMO, the JG setting stuff is very abstract, but at a low level, so it doesn't get in the way when you stamp your own personality onto it whilst doing a fair bit of grunt work for you. I've questioned the lack of such "DM's playgrounds" on these boards before (but with a higher level of low level detail) as a sort of wants list for publishers, and been called a kvetcher for it because I'm not satisfied with the status quo, and bother to say so (thanks Alan). :D

Last edited:

laurencio

First Post
One of the wacky things about the JG setting, was that the Gods were somewhat involved. For instance, I think in the City State of the Invinceable Overlord, there's a god in disguise working as something or other. Smith? Bartender? I can't remember.

Yeah I seem to remember something like that. I know there are places where the gods will appear if you tick off their clerics.

laurencio

First Post
One of the wacky things about the JG setting, was that the Gods were somewhat involved. For instance, I think in the City State of the Invinceable Overlord, there's a god in disguise working as something or other. Smith? Bartender? I can't remember.

Yeah I seem to remember something like that. I know there are places where the gods will appear if you tick off their clerics.

The original "City State of the Invincible Overlord" is still one of the only RPG books I own that I can pick up, flip open to just about any page and be immediately inspired to run an adventure. All the old Judges Guild stuff just sparks my imagination in a way that nothing else has for almost 20 years now... and if Necromancer Games can recapture that same feeling I will be eternally grateful.

I just read that teaser...WOW! I think I'm going to have to pick some of this stuff up! My main DMing problem is an original inspiration...once I get like a one-line description of SOMETHING I could run with it for quite a while, but getting that little one-line idea is the hard part. This thing looks like such a great source of my missing ideas!

bushfire

First Post
trancejeremy said:

Yep, there is Balder (Norse Mythos) owning a wine shop, which makes sense in a weird way. He is looking for love, in disguise until he finds a mortal women who will fall in love with him.

Last edited:

bushfire

First Post
Trevalon Moonleirion said:
I just read that teaser...WOW! I think I'm going to have to pick some of this stuff up! My main DMing problem is an original inspiration...once I get like a one-line description of SOMETHING I could run with it for quite a while, but getting that little one-line idea is the hard part. This thing looks like such a great source of my missing ideas!

Oh, then you are going to love Judges Guild stuff :)

Most all thier stuff is packed with one liners. One of the things Necromancer is doing is taking these one line hooks and fleshing them out a bit with a couple stats. After all when most of the JG stuff was first released "HD2, hp 6, AC9, Sword" was considered a "Stat Block"

Numion

First Post
bushfire said:
One of the big differences is that the Wilderlands, outside the influence of the big City-States, is truely a wilderness. Over that mountain, through those woods, across that river, can still be considered the Unknown.

Is there a reason given why any cleric didn't take the afternoon off, and Wind Walk to see whats there?

Remove ads