• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July 07: Monster Manual V, Maps of Adventure

Pants

First Post
Alzrius said:
How many Monster Manuals are there going to be? Is this going to be like Kenzer's Hacklopedia series, where you need eight books to have them all? :\
How many were there in 2nd Edition?

Pants

First Post
Sejs said:
Somewhere in the mid-20s, counting all the annuals and setting specific ones.

Heck, I still have my Planescape MC 1 and 2. :D
Always room for more monsters! :)

And, aside from a few choice nostalgic bits, having recently read through quite a few of the old 2e Monstrous Compendiums, I really won't be all that upset if most of those monsters never get updated. The Planescape Compendiums were probably the best of the lot, but those other ones, yeesh. :)

Besides, Paizo has been doing a great job of providing us with quality conversions for old favorites.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
BOZ said:
indeed. Cam, you might want to run that by the WotC people and see what they have to say about using OGL content, unless you have already specifically done so...

I can use non-OGL WOTC content if it's a part of Dragonlance or could be justified as such - we had a 3.5 shadow dragon before the Draconomicon, for instance. And one of the NPCs in Legends of the Twins is a sirene, from MM2, since there's a sirene in the Legends trilogy. But nothing in the SP Dragonlance books is Open Game Content. This is largely why I look for them to come up with conversions of things first, so that I can make use of them. :)

Cheers,
Cam

greywulf

First Post
Hey, I liked MM IV, a lot more than I expected to. It's a Monster Manual that a GM can actually use at the gaming table. That hasta be a Good Thing. I hope MMV is more of the same yumminess.

For my money, it was MM II that was the real stinker. Don't get me started.

Aeric said:
Count your blessings. At least they're books. They could be one giant three-ring binder with packs of monster pages coming out periodically. *shudders at the memory*

The concept was fine but when the 3 inch folder fell down the stairs and on the third 'thump' opened up then I screamed instead of shuddering.

With some luck we'll see some more Darksun stuff in #5. The maps have my attention. Are we talking collected poster sized maps or tiles or something entirely new? Curious.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads