D&D 5E Jump

Runny

First Post
Can you jump farther than your movement? Does 20 str + Jump spell = 60 ft. Or are you capped at 30 feet without dashing?

jadrax

Adventurer
Can you jump farther than your movement? Does 20 str + Jump spell = 60 ft. Or are you capped at 30 feet without dashing?

With a Strength (Athletics) check you can 'jump an unusually long distance'. (Page 59 of the 0.2 Player's Basic Rules).

No numbers for distance are associated with this rule.

Roger

First Post
That should be fine; if a PC tries to get carried away (heh) with jumping for miles and miles across the landscape, as wonderful as that is, I might start charging Exhaustion.

Runny

First Post
I concur. Jump is a duration of a minute... Clearly not intended to be used for hours. But in combat... Jumping over the front line and smashing into the squishies is just rad.

Would you suffer falling damage? A Jump boosted fighter with 20 Str clears 24 ft vertical.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
If you can't jump farther than your movement when using magic, then the spell Jump and boots of striding and springing are pretty useless in helping you to jump.

Juriel

First Post
I think I just read that you basically just pick the highest of your applicable movement modes.

If you can fly 60 feet on your move, you can walk for 30 feet, then take to the air and go the remaining 30 feet.

And what is jumping if not flight you have to land at the end of? :p

Last edited:

Faradon

Explorer
on pg 182 of the PHB it says under long jump "each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement" so not sure how you could jump more than your movement speed/dash speed.

Runny

First Post
Hmmm... I'd argue that the specific rules of the Jump spell overrule the general rule on pg 182. Normally, you can jump up to 20 ft with a 20 str. Jump multiplies this by three. It does not make any sense if you are still limited to 30 ft.

Remove ads